Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Kenzie posted:

Yeah sometimes they didn't seem to give a poo poo.

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Maquis,_Part_I_
"When Dukat and Benjamin Sisko enter the Promenade, having just returned to Deep Space 9 after visiting the Demilitarized Zone, it is obvious that the chest piece of Dukat's costume has detached itself from the underlying material. The rubber armor even catches a few times on the actor's lower arm as it swings while he walks."

Future armor: strong enough to stop bullets and low power phaser blasts, yet light enough to appear to be rubber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i always liked the humiliating, heavily padded outfits the romulan empire forced their people to wear

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

TEAYCHES posted:

i always liked the humiliating, heavily padded outfits the romulan empire forced their people to wear

Their 23rd Century uniforms looked better.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Their 23rd Century uniforms looked better.

The Nemesis uniforms were pretty good. And the Enterprise ones which looked suspiciously similar.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The male Klingon uniforms should have have had that little booby cut-out just like Lursa and B'etor's did. A machismo portal to Klingon chest hair yes, but also a sort of "stab here here if you can, fucker" for all their knife fighting.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TEAYCHES posted:

same those were the best

let's take this late 80s, early 90s thing as far as it can possibly go

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

speaking of uniforms one of the biggest missed opportunities for voyager was the maquis rebels immediately wearing pressed and clean starfleet uniforms after a day on the ship

you even have someone like traitor tom paris who they just scooped up from a federation gulag, part of his character could have been a "gently caress you mom im wearing whatever i want"

i mean obv could have been done better than that but it would have been interesting. the maquis were an ideological, committed rebel group, its understandable that theyd team up once their ship blew up and they were thrown into the delta quadrant but being totes cool with tuvok being a traitor and getting along with the starfleet officers with little character conflict was boring as gently caress

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

TEAYCHES posted:

speaking of uniforms one of the biggest missed opportunities for voyager was the maquis rebels immediately wearing pressed and clean starfleet uniforms after a day on the ship

you even have someone like traitor tom paris who they just scooped up from a federation gulag, part of his character could have been a "gently caress you mom im wearing whatever i want"

i mean obv could have been done better than that but it would have been interesting. the maquis were an ideological, committed rebel group, its understandable that theyd team up once their ship blew up and they were thrown into the delta quadrant but being totes cool with tuvok being a traitor and getting along with the starfleet officers with little character conflict was boring as gently caress

Yeah it would've been nice if they showed they were a little different that the regular crew other than some pips, but as it was they got assimilated into to rest of the crew and you couldn't tell the difference between the crews.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

Most star trek non-combatant wear looks like it's made out of 80's sofa upholstery, but only the Romulans had the technology to make their uniforms resemble actual sofas as much as possible.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

like they had the possibility of a han solo-esque total dick character with tom paris who can shirk the captain and the rules because he actually is one of the best pilots in the federation and instead hes buddy friend to harry kim has a Wacky Holodeck 50s fantasy thing i mean what in the gently caress is wrong with rick berman

TEAYCHES fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 28, 2015

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Entropic posted:

You just set up a vacuum chamber with something falling in it and transport it to the top every time it's about to hit the bottom. It will just keep accelerating until you've got it going a significant fraction of the speed of light and then instead of teleporting it to the top of the chamber you teleport it to outside, aimed at someone you don't like.

You want to put this setup on the lowest deck of your ship though, in case you lose power.

Objects don't just accelerate infinitely. They'll hit Terminal Velocity before long.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

The Bible posted:

Objects don't just accelerate infinitely. They'll hit Terminal Velocity before long.

vacuum chamber

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Cuntpunch posted:

I tend to assume Star Trek doesn't show the scale of its actual wars because there's just no way to write the same 5 anchor characters into every single squad of every single army a thousand times over.

They could hire those writers that shoehorn Wolverine into every Marvel superhero team simultaneously.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

TEAYCHES posted:

i mean what in the gently caress is wrong with rick berman

: the star trek voyager story

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kenzie posted:

Yeah sometimes they didn't seem to give a poo poo.

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Maquis,_Part_I_
"When Dukat and Benjamin Sisko enter the Promenade, having just returned to Deep Space 9 after visiting the Demilitarized Zone, it is obvious that the chest piece of Dukat's costume has detached itself from the underlying material. The rubber armor even catches a few times on the actor's lower arm as it swings while he walks."

I choose to assume this was some kind of plot to embarrass Dukat, by his arch nemesis, who is a tailor.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
In William Shatner's magnum opus "The Return" a Galaxy-class cuts a warbird in half with it's saucer. My ten year-old brain couldn't handle it.

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

I make the best space doll houses ever

TEAYCHES posted:

Wacky Holodeck 50s fantasy thing

Can I just interject that they had the worst imagination for holodeck simulations I could possibly conceive of. Really? You have a magic room that lets you experience anything as a physical reality and you just want to play in old movies and always with the historical villages and whatever the hell else happened between 20's and 40's Earth?

They would have to pry me away from that thing. I would spend weeks just experiencing being microscopic in the jungle with a suit of power armor and heavy artillery to defend myself from insects. I would recreate every great video game in history, I would LIVE Ocarina of Time, I would take all my friends and go on this epic adventure in space, flying spaceships and exploring planets and meeting strange new creatures and becoming embroiled in oddly familiar social and political parables.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I choose to assume this was some kind of plot to embarrass Dukat, by his arch nemesis, who is a tailor.

OH poo poo NICE

that simple tailor strikes again! that magnificent bastard! holy poo poo

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

A Mean Cow posted:

Can I just interject that they had the worst imagination for holodeck simulations I could possibly conceive of. Really? You have a magic room that lets you experience anything as a physical reality and you just want to play in old movies and always with the historical villages and whatever the hell else happened between 20's and 40's Earth?

They would have to pry me away from that thing. I would spend weeks just experiencing being microscopic in the jungle with a suit of power armor and heavy artillery to defend myself from insects. I would recreate every great video game in history, I would LIVE Ocarina of Time, I would take all my friends and go on this epic adventure in space, flying spaceships and exploring planets and meeting strange new creatures and becoming embroiled in oddly familiar social and political parables.

i think you have a bad imagination too, b/c ds9 correctly handles holodecks by starting from the position that they are almost exclusively for crazy sex simulations and even mentioning a holodeck in polite company is a faux pas

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i think you have a bad imagination too, b/c ds9 correctly handles holodecks by starting from the position that they are almost exclusively for crazy sex simulations and even mentioning a holodeck in polite company is a faux pas

holosuite is for sex. holodecks are for wholesome period themed recreation

the technology is the same, but the purpose is very different. It's like hotel vs motel. Hotel; business travelers, vacationers, family fun. Motel: prostitutes, drugs, spiral into poverty and depravity.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Also copyright is a bitch.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
There are a bunch of sexy extras in skimpy outfits in pretty much every star trek but its somehow the most sexless show on TV

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

I make the best space doll houses ever

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Lets hear some crazy sex simulations then mister imagination.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Also copyright is a bitch.

The Eugenics Wars wiped out all culture from after whatever was public domain in 1987. And then no new culture was produced since then because, I dunno, Section 31 drugs the water to make everyone boring or something.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

A Mean Cow posted:

Lets hear some crazy sex simulations then mister imagination.

just ask riker. he knows whats up.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
they explicitly acknowledge the holodeck is for jerking off in on TNG too, theres that ep where famke janssen is trying really hard to gently caress picard + the entire crew, and she tries super hard to seduce riker and he extricates himself from her embrace and as soon as he's out of her quarters he sighs deeply and is like COMPUTER IS THE HOLODECK FREE lmao

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
computer. ol riker needs to get his bone on. initiate holodeck program riker rawdog one ill be there shortly

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I'm sure he was just going to partake in some wholesome and vigorous physical activity to distract his mind from base urges.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

A Mean Cow posted:

Man this show sucks.

This "A Mean Cow" character goes to the holodeck and plays some game from the late 90s and it's always the same one.

I mean what, did the stop making video games after 1998 or something?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

If Worf were any good he'd make programmes based on his Japanese animes Klingon operas.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I'm still supporting the Captain Worf show by the way.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I asked mike okuda on twitter one time what happens to food you eat on the holodeck, trying valiantly to obfuscate the fact i was trying to determine if you had to poop it out or not. He said it was probably replicated food.

Also watching through Voyager after DS9 and the only thing I have to say is that neelix raided quark's wardrobe and that tuvok is the 'black guy no one listens to' that worf was in TNG/DS9.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
DS9 owns cuz Worf shows up and immediately begins kicking asses and then continues kicking asses for 4 seasons.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Melchior posted:

I asked mike okuda on twitter one time what happens to food you eat on the holodeck, trying valiantly to obfuscate the fact i was trying to determine if you had to poop it out or not. He said it was probably replicated food.

TNG answered this in one of the early seasons - it is replicated food. Holodecks are a combination of holograms for looks, force fields for collision physics, and replicators for food/drink/lube

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

on the holosuite dudes are putting their dick in a force field?

hmm, maybe it's a replicated fleshlight type thing held in place by force fields.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A replicated thin pseudo-flesh layer to give texture, stretched over a forcefield.

(New thread title please)

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

when you think about it, in reality we're all just touching electromagnetic fields, man.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Bajorans deserved to be holocausted. They're religious fanatics that unrighteously consider themselves better than everyone else, and their priests are so evil that they're arguably even more evil than catholic priests, which is saying something.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Tujague posted:

There was a TNG ep about junior officers that was pretty good. It was only an hour long, so they only covered kissing Riker's rear end and attending Worf's kung-fu school, but it would be fun to see a whole season of them gradually deciding that the senior staff was retarded, helplessly sitting in the dark while space slugs try to eat the ship for the 100th time, getting booted off the holodeck by Data in a Sherlock Holmes outfit and applying for other jobs after learning that the Enterprise was a lovely billet that wasn't worth the prestige

You could twerk footage of the crewmembers rolling their eyes and making covert jerk-off hand gestures into old TNG episodes like the DS9 guys did for Trouble with Tribbles

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13055592-redshirts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Entropic posted:

The Eugenics Wars wiped out all culture from after whatever was public domain in 1987. And then no new culture was produced since then because, I dunno, Section 31 drugs the water to make everyone boring or something.

julian actually mentions this over lunch to garak in ds9. earth's culture got completely overwhelmed by the literally hundreds of new alien races with millennia of culture and history so now all human stuff is just translation and reinterpretation of theirs and earth has really lost its unique cultural voice

definitely a realistic concern, considering the dramatic change even non-violent introduction of western culture has on uncontacted civs (or, say, japanese culture on nerds)

• Locked thread