Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Aleph Null posted:

By "improved" do you mean "improvised?"

Yes.

But no, not necessarily, unless you're just correcting my grammar. I was just pointing out the difference between improvised, in the moment, lines of dialogue as opposed to ones that reek of marketing opportunities and that are intended to become catch phrases and used in ads. I know it's irrational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Vulpes posted:

If she'd survived, the whole movie would have been about 'protect Newt' rather than 'hunt the Alien'. The only reason that worked in Aliens is because while Ripley was being protective, you had the gung-ho USCM to keep things interesting.

Maybe, but in the early versions of the script where Newt survived, Hicks did too, so it wouldn't be just a whole movie of Ripley trying to protect Newt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A funny thing about Alien 3 is that because of rules about image use Michael Biehn was able to demand to be paid just as much for his picture appearing on a screen as he was for the entirety of Aliens.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Aleph Null posted:

The Alien reboot by Neill Blomkamp (of District 9 fame) is supposed to fix that by pretending Alien 3 and 4 never happened. I'm not sure how they will handle Newt to be honest.
I would have loved to see this... in 1996. It's 2015 and I kinda feel like that ship has sailed, burned to the waterline and fifteen years ago divers brought up the plates for a museum show. Alien and Aliens were amazing but let them rest; nobody really wants to see whatever CGI horror show they paste over some poor kids face so Lance Henrikesen can record dialogue for Bishop. Aliens never needed a sequel and I think if everybody just ignores the movies and games and vs Predators that came after it and let the final image from that universe be Ripley and Newt sleeping the whole world would be a better place.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There are more terrible Alien movies than there are good ones at this point.

e. I kind of like the alternate cut Alien 3.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

:agreed:

That was some gut-punch level bullshit at the beginning of Alien 3.

It's almost like they had an idea for a script that was totally disconnected from the Alien universe and decided to just shoehorn Ripley into it but couldn't find room for Newt and Hicks. The Alien reboot by Neill Blomkamp (of District 9 fame) is supposed to fix that by pretending Alien 3 and 4 never happened. I'm not sure how they will handle Newt to be honest.
Alien 3 had an incredibly hosed up preduction and writing process to even get to what ended up on screen. It's kind of amazing that it even made it into theaters at all. Not that I'm disagreeing with you, I was about 18 when it came out and seeing it the first time in the theater, I was thinking, "Wait.. What? Hicks and Newt are just dead? What the gently caress?" Then the alien looked completely out of place in most scenes as the green screen or rotoscoping or whatever it was just looked terrible. And I experienced the first cinema disappointment of my adult life. On the plus side, I was so jaded by this experience that by the time the Star Wars sequels came out, I somehow, ironically was able to actually enjoy them. As time has gone on I've been able to enjoy Alien 3 for what it is and the many things it actually did right, but back then it really let me down. And that's my Alien 3 story.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

QUACKTASTIC posted:

e. I kind of like the alternate cut Alien 3.
Yes, the alternate cut is pretty good actually. I wish that had been the theatrical version shown back in 92 or whenever it was.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Aleph Null posted:

By "improved" do you mean "improvised?"

In that case, I'm pretty sure "Game over man! Game over!" was also improvised. "Get away from her, you bitch!" was entirely in character for Ripley. She had traumatically lost her only daughter by being in cyrosleep for 60 years and had adopted Newt as a surrogate. Ditto for Newt adopting Ripley. Ripley was drat sure not going to let some uppity Queen alien take that away from either of them.
Lol, she died in cyrosleep on the way to Fiorina-161 anyway.

Oh please just because she's black and lives off the material earnings of the collective and has waaay too many kids, that automatically makes her uppity?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just because they are a LITERAL parasitic species does NOT, in FACT, make them loving PARASITES. GodDAMNit.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bug Lives Matter

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Actually it is a very progressive movie because the marines don't care about gender when they gently caress Arcturians

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aphrodite posted:

Not really, that's just his thing from the comics.

Which is why the real irritating bit is when he says "We are Groot". Groot's race speak a highly complex language which as I recall is semi-telepathic, but human ears can only interpret anything said in it as "I am Groot". By adding "We are Groot" to the dialogue, they changed Groot from an intelligent creature beyond human understanding to a dumb plant with a three word vocabulary.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jedit posted:

Which is why the real irritating bit is when he says "We are Groot". Groot's race speak a highly complex language which as I recall is semi-telepathic, but human ears can only interpret anything said in it as "I am Groot". By adding "We are Groot" to the dialogue, they changed Groot from an intelligent creature beyond human understanding to a dumb plant with a three word vocabulary.

Or he perfectly understands the primitive many-words-language the barbarians around him speak and chose that moment to lower himself to their level as a sign of affection.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Actually it is a very progressive movie because the marines don't care about gender when they gently caress Arcturians

Apparently that was improvised as well.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Jedit posted:

Is that really the case or is that just what that semi-insane dude whose name is escaping me (Maximilian?) said in one comic?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation was pretty drat good overall, but i did have a gripe that i also had in the new Avengers Movie.

The part where Ethan has to do the free swimming bit underwater and they hang on the shot of him underwater making it seem like he'd drowned, but then he gets rescued by the girl. Like yeah, you're really gonna kill Ethan Hunt and have Simon Pegg become the new star of the MI movies, yeah sure i totally believe you movie.

Although i'll admit they did it better than in Age of Ultron where in the big final battle everybody is like "oh man we could probably die from this guys, are we cool with this?" and all i can think is "yeah if this Cinematic Universe bullshit didn't exist i might be a little worried but i'm really, REALLY not worried when half of the team is getting their own movie next year"

They really need to do a large fake-out with them pretending to film Iron Man 4 or something and then kill him off and cancel the next movie they are supposed to be in. They could use the footage in another marvel film as a dream sequence or something so it doesn't go to waste.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Polaron posted:

Is that really the case or is that just what that semi-insane dude whose name is escaping me (Maximilian?) said in one comic?

In Groot's first appearances he could talk normally but he was eventually killed and came back as a smaller cutting (like in the movie.) It was only after he came back that all he said was his catchphrase.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation was pretty drat good overall, but i did have a gripe that i also had in the new Avengers Movie.

The part where Ethan has to do the free swimming bit underwater and they hang on the shot of him underwater making it seem like he'd drowned, but then he gets rescued by the girl. Like yeah, you're really gonna kill Ethan Hunt and have Simon Pegg become the new star of the MI movies, yeah sure i totally believe you movie.

Although i'll admit they did it better than in Age of Ultron where in the big final battle everybody is like "oh man we could probably die from this guys, are we cool with this?" and all i can think is "yeah if this Cinematic Universe bullshit didn't exist i might be a little worried but i'm really, REALLY not worried when half of the team is getting their own movie next year"

For Mission Impossible, I was more annoyed at that they couldn't use metal oxygen tanks to breath under the water, and then they never bothered to find an alternate plastic solution. There was no way he could carry at least a little bit of air in a plastic container? I know, it's a movie and all and they had to make it suspenseful, I guess.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gremlins:
What if they are eating and get something stuck in their teeth? Like a poppy seed or whatever. If it's still there at midnight do they transform? What if they are eating in a plane at 11 pm and cross a time zone? Does that count?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Gremlins:
What if they are eating and get something stuck in their teeth? Like a poppy seed or whatever. If it's still there at midnight do they transform? What if they are eating in a plane at 11 pm and cross a time zone? Does that count?

More importantly when does "after midnight" end? Sunrise? 6am?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Gremlins:

To be fair, what the gently caress does 'after midnight' even mean? Is 6 am still 'after midnight'? Maybe when the sun comes up (would've been better to say "don't feed them in the darkness" or something)?

e: goddamnit man, your gremlins arguing is faster than mine.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Gremlins 2 asks those questions and then has a sudden, unexpected attack as if to say, "what the gently caress is wrong with you? They give birth by getting wet, for Christ's sake. Stop thinking and enjoy the movie."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

Or his meaning was clear enough that humans could understand it more clearly/differently than his other lines.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The movie kind of implies he actually is kind of dumb, and none of the telepathic stuff.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Memento posted:

It's not that it adds not much to the narrative, it's that it disrupts the flow of the movie as a journey into madness completely. There's such a disconnect between that scene and making a friend of horror that it's jarring.
That's the point I thought. I liked that scene and thought it worked well (although it could have been shorter).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The movie kind of implies he actually is kind of dumb, and none of the telepathic stuff.

Well not entirely. When Quinn says he has like 23% of a plan, Groot responds, and Rocket replies to Groot "So what if it's better than 22%?".

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Hey now, during their prison break, thanks to his quick thinking, he's the first one to retrieve one of the parts Rocket needed to get them out :colbert:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

IUG posted:

Well not entirely. When Quinn says he has like 23% of a plan, Groot responds, and Rocket replies to Groot "So what if it's better than 22%?".

I thought it was not so much telepathy as Rocket learning his language. Wasn't the gimmick that Groot spoke a full and complete language full of subtle tones, but to a human every single sentence just sounded like " I am Groot"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the comics, yes.

In the movies it's only addressed as "Well he don't know talkin' good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to "I" and "am" and "Groot," exclusively in that order."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The person who said that is completely fucken insane

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He gave that child a flower and it was very sweet

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

EmmyOk posted:

He gave that child a flower and it was very sweet
"Here, child, have one of my genitals."

KoB
May 1, 2009
Groot clearly understands what people are saying he just doesnt always give a poo poo cuz hes a big tree man.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Groot is literally tree Chewbacca.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chewbarka

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thank you.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Live Die Repeat, that the movie kept going after Cage destroys the alien brain ball and dies instead of immediately going to the news reports and end credits.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Groot is literally tree Chewbacca.

I was gonna post this earlier but then didn't. Its a giant Chewbacca joke guys, comeon.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Live Die Repeat, that the movie kept going after Cage destroys the alien brain ball and dies instead of immediately going to the news reports and end credits.

Agreed! I thought it was a generally well-done film, with excellent practical effects and a cool take on the Groundhog Day gimmick. Then it fell prey to Hollywood's love of happy endings. Granted, the setup to the original book's ending was almost incomprehensible - temporal lightning rods or whatever. It's not like the movie was leading up to a sequel, they should have just cut off after the fight. Tom Hanks' death in Saving Private Ryan didn't somehow cripple it at the box office.

My gripe: absurd slo-mo fights when the characters aren't in a Matrix movie. I watched a trailer for the new Transporter movie, and it was nonstop slow motion and dudes moving and reacting faster than any human could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The whole point of the movie is second chances, though.