Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
If Latuff drew a cartoon with pants on the ground this thread might never recover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Erenthal posted:

It's like Europe and Australia are in the worlds worst race to be the most awful against migrants and asylum seekers. I don't know who's winning, but I feel like we're all definitely losing :(

They just found 70 Syrian migrants including four children suffocated in a truck dumped at the Austro-Hungarian border. Even Australia is going to be hard pressed to beat that.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zakharov posted:

If Latuff drew a cartoon with pants on the ground this thread might never recover

Obvious reply

http://i.imgur.com/UWlluEL.gif?1 :nws:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't know about you guys, but I think insulting the people you're trying to get rehired to work under is a super good idea.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

WDBJ Camera-WDBJ Man Reporter Adam Alison Ward Parker

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Mike Lester here to remind you: guns don't kill people; the Phantom Blot kills people.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

dijon du jour posted:

Mike Lester here to remind you: guns don't kill people; the Phantom Blot kills people.

It's more "guns don't kill people, the abstract concept of murder kills people"

An Original Sin Cartoon

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

dijon du jour posted:

Man, we really need to do something about physical manifestations of abstract concepts and the danger they pose to society at large; Lester's right

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

To be fair one person with, say, a sword or a knife could easily rush three other people, killing two of them on the spot and putting the third in the hospital, just like if he had a gun. Why, just last night I saw.... wait, that wasn't real life, I was playing The Witcher. nvm

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That Lester cartoon does help explain right-wing thinking on gun control. If you think acts of gun violence results from nameless, uncompromising, eternal evil, it is therefore logical to believe that that violence will occur regardless of the tools at the hypothetical perpetrator's disposal.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Skeesix posted:

I could imagine someone deciding that 10 years after 9/11, it's OK to give them reasonable critiques again.

This is not a reasonable critique. gently caress you Ted Rall.

Why do you think it was 10 years after?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bill Day crumples up another draft in despair and tosses it into an overflowing trash basket.

prinnylaharl
Feb 10, 2013
Bill Day then realizes he could make the guy's hand another smaller gun and takes it out of the trash, saving it for another inevitable shooting.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

dijon du jour posted:

We don't need gun control, we need Mickey Mouse.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
e: whoops, accidental post :downs:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's Ok to requote those. SB's work is a gift.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Work has started running some kind of internet filter that makes timg not work, so it makes this thread really hard to follow :( I have to edit timg to img and preview it to see what the hell people are talking about

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Work has started running some kind of internet filter that makes timg not work, so it makes this thread really hard to follow :( I have to edit timg to img and preview it to see what the hell people are talking about

It's not your work. I get the same problem.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

1 :raise: something you'd like to get of your chest, Tony?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It's not your work. I get the same problem.

I'm trying to stir up some stuff here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657588&pagenumber=81#lastpost

anyway, sorry for the derail!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

This is a thing of beauty. One of my favorite Branco cartoons ever.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Edible Hat posted:

That Lester cartoon does help explain right-wing thinking on gun control. If you think acts of gun violence results from nameless, uncompromising, eternal evil, it is therefore logical to believe that that violence will occur regardless of the tools at the hypothetical perpetrator's disposal.

Or it's just some rhetorical bullshit cynically employed to get people to ask and answer the wrongest, least fruitful questions about guns. Like loving debates about "automatic" or "semiautomatic" or whatever the gently caress.

I'm unclear on how the constitution figures into their kneejerk reaction against the Iran deal. Is there something in it I'm forgetting about how the founding fathers intended the U.S. to be at perpetual war with everyone all the time?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

To be fair one person with, say, a sword or a knife could easily rush three other people, killing two of them on the spot and putting the third in the hospital, just like if he had a gun. Why, just last night I saw.... wait, that wasn't real life, I was playing The Witcher. nvm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw6dlv9rwVE

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Saint Sputnik posted:

Or it's just some rhetorical bullshit cynically employed to get people to ask and answer the wrongest, least fruitful questions about guns. Like loving debates about "automatic" or "semiautomatic" or whatever the gently caress.

I'm unclear on how the constitution figures into their kneejerk reaction against the Iran deal. Is there something in it I'm forgetting about how the founding fathers intended the U.S. to be at perpetual war with everyone all the time?

The founding fathers would never have brooked any sort of "deal" or "treaty" with the Muslims, who hate Western civilization and have always longed to see America wiped from the face of the earth.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

I had to look it up but it seems like the argument centers around whether the deal can go into effect without a supermajority from the Senate.

http://originalismblog.typepad.com/the-originalism-blog/2015/07/is-the-iran-deal-unconstitutionalmichael-ramsey.html

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

colonel_korn posted:

I had to look it up but it seems like the argument centers around whether the deal can go into effect without a supermajority from the Senate.

http://originalismblog.typepad.com/the-originalism-blog/2015/07/is-the-iran-deal-unconstitutionalmichael-ramsey.html

Presidents enter into agreements without sending them to the Senate for full ratification all of the time.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Zeroisanumber posted:

Presidents enter into agreements without sending them to the Senate for full ratification all of the time.

Right, but there's something about the shade the current president casts that makes this situation different.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yes, but to be fair to 7oden, all the other presidents who did it were white.

E:fb

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This is a thing of beauty. One of my favorite Branco cartoons ever.

Eeyore joke is great.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Senator Robert Paulson

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

loquacius posted:

Yeah, it's a lot harder to kill someone with a knife or a sword than movies and video games make it look. I remember a while back when a mass shooting in america occurred at the same time as a mass stabbing. Everyone who was attacked in the mass stabbing survived, everyone who was shot in the mass shooting did not.

This is the stabbing incident I was thinking about : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Regional_High_School_stabbing

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 28, 2015

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

loquacius posted:

Kasich (governor of Ohio) is running for president. He has said that he would abolish teachers' lounges because they only serve as a place for teachers to laze around and complain.

This is funny to me because my entire stereotype of Ohio is people who love to complain. My entire experience of Ohio was people either bragging about how mediocre Ohio is (a weird thing to take pride in), or just ceaseless complaining about any task they had to do. I really think it's part of Ohio culture or something.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Saint Sputnik posted:

Everything the right disagrees with, which of course includes literally everything Obama does, is unconstitutional somehow. Don't worry about how, it just is.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

That Invisible Woman is a nice touch.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

Garrand posted:

There was a ted rall cartoon about a teacher who had used her body to try and shield students from a tornado or something and calling her fat. Also Rall tweets (and maybe a cartoon, don't remember) talking about how the paramedics / emergency workers during the Boston Marathon bombing weren't heroes because it was their job.

Just like how political cartoonists aren't heroes because speaking truth to power through crappy little drawings is their job.

Well, not Rall's job anymore, but yeah.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Saint Sputnik posted:

70den = http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c-2849

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Space-Bird posted:

This is funny to me because my entire stereotype of Ohio is people who love to complain. My entire experience of Ohio was people either bragging about how mediocre Ohio is (a weird thing to take pride in), or just ceaseless complaining about any task they had to do. I really think it's part of Ohio culture or something.

Wasn't Jim Lovell, of Apollo XIII fame, also credited as the most accomplished Ohioan as he'd managed to get as far away from Ohio as was physically possible?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

oh god

quote:

Ted Rall, an award-winning political cartoonist, plans to create a biographical graphic novel profiling Bernie Sanders. Seven Stories Press has scheduled the release date for Jan. 5, 2016.

also here's a couple of panels from his Snowden book:

George Orwell, what's wrong with your face? :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
On the CENTRAL MONITOR of the EVIL NSA'S PANOPTICON MONITORING SYSTEM:

Rall, Ted.

• Locked thread