Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This is the waiting room of my doctor's office:

imo, brutalism done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
In America only the cost of healthcare is brutal.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cultural Imperial posted:

That's ... beautiful.

But like the other goon was saying about knowing where to put windows and contrasting with vegetation. It opens the space up to the world instead of boxing it in.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

This is rad as gently caress.

Ahem, I mean I love the interplay of solid and void, of light and dark, of man and nature.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Speaking of which, from the architects of the Boston City Hall, a hospital in Brooklyn:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Would idle and cogitate in that wait room irl

Edit: Jesus, that hospital is bringing this thread back to its roots. It's so ugly that I kind of feel angry at it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Paddyb posted:

Speaking of which, from the architects of the Boston City Hall, a hospital in Brooklyn:

That's a great looking server rack.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Sammus posted:

So hire a bunch of day laborers and start digging into a hillside? I have just the place.

I imagine water control is a pretty serious concern, depending on location.

joat mon posted:

Both seepage and condensation are serious concerns.

yeah. If we're talkin about earthships in particular here, they're all about passive heating- combining earth mass and big dawn-facing slanted windows to maintain ambient a climate with little energy expenditure. One of the catches is that they have to be well-sealed for this to work properly, so sheltered-earth constructions in wetter climates struggle with humidity and dampness a lot. They can also face serious moisture/drainage problems, but proper construction (French drains, poly sheeting out the rear end, properly-sloping roof surfaces, properly-vetted building location etc etc) mostly nixes that.

They're a really smart and holistic design for deserts and fairly hot/arid locales but their appropriateness drops off as you get more temperate. They can and do work in all sorts of climates, but things start getting dumb and counterintuitive- like, building right into the ground is great in the desert, the earth is a fantastic temperature moderator. Do that in Canada, and in the winter the earth will steal all the heat from your house and make your heating bills insane, so Earthships up here need a big foam insulating pad somewhere in there, which kinda runs counter to their whole design.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Paddyb posted:

this is... good? :confused:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

This looks out of somewhere on the Citadel in Mass Effect.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

I'm Crap posted:

this is... good? :confused:

I'll be up there in a month and I'm seriously thinking about a visit to confirm.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Paddyb posted:

It looks like those sets for toys cars.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Your doctor sounds pretty cool to have such a rad waiting room.

I like this building. It is better than most brutalist buildings.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 27, 2015

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

https://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/nevada/lasvegas/gehry/brain.html

Not sure if this has been done, but even if it has, god it's awful.

quote:

"If I had a problem with my brain, I would not be reassured arriving at this place. The implicit sadism is impressive."

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Did they send the architect and the people who approved it there? Because they belong there.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

It was Gehry and no.

EDIT: They treat Alzheimer's disease there. Who the gently caress would want to take their demented grandma near that?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Gehry.... :argh:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Wow that is a really insulting place to send people with dementia.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Well you're gonna get dementia and Alzheimer's patients if you're gonna specialize in gehryatrics

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

wayfinder posted:

Well you're gonna get dementia and Alzheimer's patients if you're gonna specialize in gehryatrics

:golfclap:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Stuff built in Fascist Spain ( http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1732622 )

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

AxeBreaker posted:

this isn't as stupid as you might think, the whole swoopy bit is basically a space for holding rich person fundraising galas and such. the back section of the building is normal and has labs, offices etc.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

AxeBreaker posted:

He made a little model of a building and stepped on it a couple of times.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I didn't know you could gently caress up a triumphal arch. Did they run out of money before detailing the bottom half, or what?
I also didn't know Spain had flak towers

Paddyb posted:

The car ramp is ugly and sticks out, but with some nice trees and poo poo growing on the bare dirt in that picture, it could look pretty good.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 28, 2015

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The proportions are obviously off, but the Herrerian style is fundamentally good and I wish it had been incorporated into American architecture instead of Spanish Colonial Revival.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Paddyb posted:

I live right near here. It's the biggest thing around and really foreboding, but I like the radius of chaos and urban decay it creates. Also every Brooklyn native I've spoken to about it has insisted to NEVER under any circumstance allow yourself to be admitted there, as you'll likely wake up with a scalpel and an antibiotic resistant bacterium inside of you

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

this is good

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

never trust an elf posted:

I live right near here. It's the biggest thing around and really foreboding, but I like the radius of chaos and urban decay it creates. Also every Brooklyn native I've spoken to about it has insisted to NEVER under any circumstance allow yourself to be admitted there, as you'll likely wake up with a scalpel and an antibiotic resistant bacterium inside of you

Why are the hospitals in New York such garbage?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

wanna see this thing just upgunned to gently caress and back and with AAA on the little pedestals and machine guns on every approach and mortars and lazers and rpgs and guys with rifles and poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Frostwerks posted:

wanna see this thing just upgunned to gently caress and back and with AAA on the little pedestals and machine guns on every approach and mortars and lazers and rpgs and guys with rifles and poo poo.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I know. I like the repurposed ones too

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

All I hear is the Nazi march from Indiana Jones.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

circ dick soleil posted:

Why are the hospitals in New York such garbage?

hospitals in Manhattan are generally good-great, I'm not sure why the outer boroughs are so bad, I suspect it has to do with low funding and the fact that they're essentially for-profit and many of the people that use them don't have insurance

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Random poo poo.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
http://gcaptain.com/a-concrete-samp...22#.VeBwtrQkera

New Panama Canal isn't looking too good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbnQs-qMqsM

:stare:

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
The old Denver Art Museum building by Gio Ponti is one of the ugliest structures I've ever seen:

The new addition, by Libeskind, is better but still not great:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Wax Dynasty posted:

The old Denver Art Museum building by Gio Ponti is one of the ugliest structures I've ever seen:

The new addition, by Libeskind, is better but still not great:

This was my first up close encoutner with Liebeskind and you could tell they struggled on how to arrange and hang the artwork. I liked the main stairwell though.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Is it bad that I like it? All it needs is turrets in the windows to complete the Imperial Destroyer look.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

they're gonna need a lot of gum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My appreciation of Brutalism comes from growing up in the early 1970s in Canada. As we've seen in this thread it was a popular style during the mid 1960s through to the mid 1970s, and like most styles can be done well or poorly.

The Winnipeg Art Gallery opened around this time and although I remember it being larger I see now that it's actually fairly small. That spire seemed so much taller when I was a child.

But this same period also gave us the Winnipeg Public Safety building which although cohesive doesn't look like a place for human beings.

The university's Lockhart Hall was built within a year or two of the Borg Public Safety building but it showed a common Canadian approach to Brutalism, softening it with warm wood and brick/tile textures and breaking up the concrete with playful shapes and lighting.

This sort of marriage of concrete and wood is what I think of when I think of Brutalism.

• Locked thread