Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I don't think I've ever seen a Samsung user not choose that font which tells me everything I need to know about people who choose Samsungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

LastInLine posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a Samsung user not choose that font which tells me everything I need to know about people who choose Samsungs.

Qft

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
My wife got a Note 5 the other day and the default is not comic sans or whatever. She hasn't changed it ... yet

And no, she hasn't tried to jam the stylus in backward... yet.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My team's app overrides the fonts back to Roboto, so as to avoid Samsung's "Smooth Jazz" font or whatever they call it. We don't put up with that crap.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Wasn't in the S4 or the S6.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've had every Samsung device since the S2 and none have had Comic Sans as a default font. It's a sign of bad terrible taste.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Feeling smugly superior about which font somebody else uses on their smartphone. Hard to get any spergier than that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Feeling smugly superior about which font somebody else uses on their smartphone. Hard to get any spergier than that.

To be fair, I feel smugly superior to them because of their choice of smartphone; their font choice simply reinforces my prejudice.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

To be fair, I feel smugly superior to them because of their choice of smartphone; their font choice simply reinforces my prejudice.

I'm with this guy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LastInLine posted:

If it's smug to feel this way than I'm a smug bastard and not ashamed in the least about it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've never used comic sans on my galaxy phones because I'm a sperg that rooted and flashed them instead, but now I don't even use a galaxy, I use a windows phone :shepface:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

Hi, welcome to the Android thread. Hope you enjoy your stay!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Noooooo

I got added to the beta for Samsung Pay but I left my qualifying card at home and I'm at work :smith:

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

bull3964 posted:

LG has released the non-curved versions of their 4k OLED panels. No change in price with the MSRP of the 65" being $6999 (Best Buy currently has $1k off the top for the curved one, be interesting to see if they do the same for the non-curved.)

I'm fairly certain the instant that TV (or it's model year equivalent) drops below $3k, it will be purchased with the fastest delivery option to my house. Such a jaw dropping set.

Seditious Jerk posted:

Did I properly describe the problem? These pictures only show up when I go to attach and image, and it doesn't to matter what application I'm using to do it. Hangouts, the default text messaging app, they both show the same thing. Before I discovered the web interface to manage photos through Picasa Web Web Albums, there were a lot more. I cleaned everything out of the Picasa web front end, and now there are just a handful of older images that I can't seem to locate anywhere.

How would I do that if I have never had Picasa installed on my phone as an app?

ILikeVoltron posted:

It's a around 2 months away, if you can wait that long I think it's worth the wait. If some of the rumors are correct the n5 2015 is shaping up to be a decent phone.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems like the Nexus 5 2015 has a thin bezel after all. The first speculated renders based display size vs. supposed case dimensions suggested rather a thick one.

https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/636907568489721856

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 28, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Triggered.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Am I weirdo for not understanding the hate for Comic Sans?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with it. The problem is, people started using it for formal communication and that's just all kinds of messed up.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
SD cards are getting an interesting new feature in Android M, they'll will be able to be "merged" with internal storage:

https://plus.google.com/+SalmanAhmad2299/posts/awmpZWmDubB

Samsung was just future proofing their phones it turns out.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I don't get it either. It's not a great font but if I see it somewhere I'm just like "whatever." I also don't understand why people hated Clippy so much. Tech nerds like to make a big performative deal out of ignorable poo poo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My girlfriend loves Comic Sans, but she's a teacher so it's forgivable.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The rear end Stooge posted:

Tech nerds like to make a big performative deal out of ignorable poo poo.

Isn't this like the motto for IYG?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Biggest human being Ever posted:

SD cards are getting an interesting new feature in Android M, they'll will be able to be "merged" with internal storage:

https://plus.google.com/+SalmanAhmad2299/posts/awmpZWmDubB

Samsung was just future proofing their phones it turns out.

Yeah that's old news and Google managed to pick the worst of the various options of dealing with SD cards for consumers (though, conversely, the best for developers). I suppose this shouldn't be shocking.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah that's old news and Google managed to pick the worst of the various options of dealing with SD cards for consumers (though, conversely, the best for developers). I suppose this shouldn't be shocking.

I disagree. By making SD cards part of the internal storage, users don't have to juggle where files are downloaded or stored or where apps are installed. It makes its transparent to the user, which is the whole reason they wanted to do away with SD cards in the first place. It gives all the benefits of easier management while also allowing for user expanded storage.

Users that actually swap SD cards around for different media are the smallest use case scenario.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Obligatory

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I did some work in a immigration law office and we typed the addresses on envelopes in Comic Sans. They thought it looked like handwriting.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Am I weird for being mad at you all for calling it comic sans when its NOT EVEN loving COMIC SANS THATS ON THE drat PHONE

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

codo27 posted:

Am I weird for being mad at you all for calling it comic sans when its NOT EVEN loving COMIC SANS THATS ON THE drat PHONE

What does it matter?

edit: Found the Samsung fanboy

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I owned a s3, s4, s5, and s6 and none of them came with the Cool Jazz or whatever goofy font stock. They were all Samsung Sans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

I disagree. By making SD cards part of the internal storage, users don't have to juggle where files are downloaded or stored or where apps are installed. It makes its transparent to the user, which is the whole reason they wanted to do away with SD cards in the first place. It gives all the benefits of easier management while also allowing for user expanded storage.

Users that actually swap SD cards around for different media are the smallest use case scenario.

Except now you have to educate users that they CANNOT remove their SD card because things will probably break, and instead of fast, reliable NAND built into the device, they get to pay for the device AND cheap, failure-prone SD cards.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Endless Mike posted:

Except now you have to educate users that they CANNOT remove their SD card because things will probably break, and instead of fast, reliable NAND built into the device, they get to pay for the device AND cheap, failure-prone SD cards.

Easier than educating users how to manage files on their SD cards instead of internal storage, how to move apps to the SD card (if the app even supports it), and why their phone says it is out of space when they just put a 128GB card in their phone.

Your average user is a lot stupider than you think they are when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Endless Mike posted:

Well if the manufacturers would stop marking up NAND by like 50000% and maybe offering the actual amount of storage advertised instead of having slightly more than half of it "usable", maybe this wouldn't be a loving issue, but the truth is people actually want to store poo poo on their phones. :shrug:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Also reasonably likely to be counterfeit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Well if the manufacturers would stop marking up NAND by like 50000% and maybe offering the actual amount of storage advertised instead of having slightly more than half of it "usable", maybe this wouldn't be a loving issue, but the truth is people actually want to store poo poo on their phones. :shrug:
I guess I don't mind paying $50 or so to get vastly more utility out of something I will use for 2 years?

I mean, they gotta do *something* to make money since only Samsung has managed to figure that out on Android.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Samsung Pay Report - The app runs really smoothly and is easy to pull out my phone and just scan my finger. I haven't had any issues so far and the clerks reactions are always pretty funny. My favorite has been a 70 year old man very adamantly refusing to believe that it worked.

To set it up was just enter the information and then call the bank to have them activate the token for the card, took five minutes max.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Drythe posted:

Samsung Pay Report - The app runs really smoothly and is easy to pull out my phone and just scan my finger. I haven't had any issues so far and the clerks reactions are always pretty funny. My favorite has been a 70 year old man very adamantly refusing to believe that it worked.

To set it up was just enter the information and then call the bank to have them activate the token for the card, took five minutes max.

Did you try using the magnetic strip emulation thing yet?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Super Dude posted:

Did you try using the magnetic strip emulation thing yet?

That's all I've been using. That's why the people assume it won't work, they don't have NFC readers. I just used it on one of those readers built into the register with the thick plastic on the side. Holding it against the side with my case on and it worked fine.

Hardest part is having the clerk realize she needed to treat it like a credit card and hit her Visa button

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The rear end Stooge posted:

I don't get it either. It's not a great font but if I see it somewhere I'm just like "whatever." I also don't understand why people hated Clippy so much. Tech nerds like to make a big performative deal out of ignorable poo poo.

This is what human beings do. It just feels good to highlight it in other people by calling them names when you don't happen to agree with them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

This is what human beings do. It just feels good to highlight it in other people by calling them names when you don't happen to agree with them.

rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

When new Motorola phones are released on Thursday, off-contract prices of the current generation Moto X should drop, right?