Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Alchenar posted:

But that in itself says something: Moltke had a nervous breakdown. And he wasn't the only one. These Generals far behind the front lines weren't utterly callous about the condition of their soldiers, they cared a lot and were under an enormous amount of stress.

Oh yeah, I was just pointing out the difference. People think that staying cooped up in HQ might have contributed to his breakdown, since he was described as staying in the map room all day desperately waiting for some, any information from the front while concocting various worst case scenarios in his head about what might be happening to his men at the front. Moltke himself described himself as too conscientious to ever be a good general as he simply couldn't abide the thought of sending men to their deaths in their thousands.

Compare that to Joffre, who is described by everyone who met him as not giving a gently caress about anything except 1. Having a nice meal every day and if you are invited you had better not be late and 2. Advancing his own career, at the expense of anyone who he thought might be standing in his way (looking at you, Gallieni). Worrying about dudes being killed at the front was not one of these things, as evidenced by his insistence on sticking to the 'throw Frenchmen straight at the Germans until they break' plan way beyond anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I happened to notice on my way in to post this that this thread is now 25,000 posts long. That's a whole lot of Wallenstein, yo.

100 Years Ago

Colonel Swinton, never the most reverent of chaps, is absolutely letting rip with crackpot suggestions for what landships might be capable of. To begin with, he wants to call them "Armouredillos". I am not making this up. Meanwhile, the Battle of Hill 60 on Gallipoli finally starts heading towards a finish, and Sir John French is squabbling with General Haig about what they should be doing for the Battle of Loos; the dread word "reserves" raises its head for the first time.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

I happened to notice on my way in to post this that this thread is now 25,000 posts long. That's a whole lot of Wallenstein, yo.

100 Years Ago

Colonel Swinton, never the most reverent of chaps, is absolutely letting rip with crackpot suggestions for what landships might be capable of. To begin with, he wants to call them "Armouredillos". I am not making this up. Meanwhile, the Battle of Hill 60 on Gallipoli finally starts heading towards a finish, and Sir John French is squabbling with General Haig about what they should be doing for the Battle of Loos; the dread word "reserves" raises its head for the first time.

As a German I'd like to inform the rest of the world that deliberately misspelling German words on military machinery for the express purpose of distracting the troops voids any and all protection under the Geneva convention

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Well this goon is in trouble:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
zweihänder

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hazzard posted:

Well this goon is in trouble:

Someone should tell him you only salute with einhänder

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
As a former gay nazi myself I resent the actions of the SS and their role in the röhmputsch

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
wht not just say two hander goon, why not just say that

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rabhadh posted:

wht not just say two hander goon, why not just say that

because vydeogamez

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There comes a point an any sword speg's life when he becomes convinced, convinced I tell you, that the different names for the same type of sword in different languages mean specific variants of sword. I remember being sure that a zweihänder specifically referred to the type of sword with a leather wrap around the ricasso and the little parrying hooks forward of that.

And it kind of does, if you're retroactively discussing sword types I guess, or if the game makes a meaningful distinction.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

I want this more than "barrels" oh so much.

Btw, when is one of us going to be generous and acquiring you better title text for your Avy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

vuk83 posted:

Regarding air defense and gw1. What where the comparitive force ratios to a fuld gap situation. The coalition in desert storm where what ca 24 ground divisions supported by ca 2400 planes vs ca the same number of iraqi divisions supported by 500 planes. And the air campaign in desert storm was 6 months. How would that compare to a fulda gap scenario? The warpac had at least parity if not more planes than NATO. And the Warsaw pact would not sit there to be pounded on for months, they would start the ground war asap

I think Ralph Peter's book gives the most likely scenario; total clusterfuck for both sides and a lot of blue on blue.

e: Damnit double post.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

I want this more than "barrels" oh so much.

Btw, when is one of us going to be generous and acquiring you better title text for your Avy.

Seconded, Armouredillo owns.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Seconded, Armouredillo owns.

One of the danish company commanders in helmand had the armadillo as his personal symbol. He was commander of an armoured infantry company mounted in m113. In danish the word for armadillo is bæltedyr which means belt animal, and the word for tracked vehicle is bælte køretøj. So when he got killed in the upper helmand valley they named the local fob after him. FOB Armadillo http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640680/

vuk83 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 28, 2015

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

bewbies posted:

Awesome post! I had no idea that the British were so disinterested in air defense in general, it seems like that could have ended very badly for them.

But going to war ill-prepared and with half of the armys equipment being of dubious quality/non-existent is practically a British tradition of warfare.

Fortunately we always sort it out after a few years into the conflict.

Even more fortunately the whole thing would have gone nuclear so quick it wouldn't have mattered.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
So you're saying the ongoing tragi-comedy that led to the QE being built is not unusual when it comes to British procurement?

Because that's gotta rank up there in the list of biggest procurement clusterfucks. "Hey guys let's base our entire fleet around two carriers that can only operate a single plane that hasn't been fully tested yet and won't be available for at least another few years" :downs:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ArchangeI posted:

So you're saying the ongoing tragi-comedy that led to the QE being built is not unusual when it comes to British procurement?

Because that's gotta rank up there in the list of biggest procurement clusterfucks. "Hey guys let's base our entire fleet around two carriers that can only operate a single plane that hasn't been fully tested yet and won't be available for at least another few years" :downs:

I can see a list of top ten procurement clusterfucks. The QE class carriers warrant inclusion not only because of your reason - it's that the reason they can't easily convert between the B and C F-35 is because of either 1) massive incompetence of the government drawing up the contract or 2) straight up fraud by BAE leaving the British taxpayer on the hook for billions, and who are getting away with it because they promised the top government officials cushy jobs once they leave office.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nebakenezzer posted:

I can see a list of top ten procurement clusterfucks. The QE class carriers warrant inclusion not only because of your reason - it's that the reason they can't easily convert between the B and C F-35 is because of either 1) massive incompetence of the government drawing up the contract or 2) straight up fraud by BAE leaving the British taxpayer on the hook for billions, and who are getting away with it because they promised the top government officials cushy jobs once they leave office.

why not both

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I can see a list of top ten procurement clusterfucks.

Other contenders include the M2 Bradley, F-111B and the Sgt. York from the US and the HS 30 from Germany. Honorable mention goes to the F-104, which technically did what it was supposed to for the price that was paid for it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The F-111 gets a lot of flak, but it filled the Australian use-case for a very long range strike craft pretty well. To the point where there's no suitable replacement (F-35 lol).

But then it did give half the maintenance teams brain damage and was literally falling to bits on the runway by the time it was retired. I still miss the pig though.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Endman posted:

The F-111 gets a lot of flak, but it filled the Australian use-case for a very long range strike craft pretty well. To the point where there's no suitable replacement (F-35 lol).

But then it did give half the maintenance teams brain damage and was literally falling to bits on the runway by the time it was retired. I still miss the pig though.

The F-111B was the carrier-fighter version that had trouble getting off the ground (or the carrier deck, as the matter stands).

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ArchangeI posted:

The F-111B was the carrier-fighter version that had trouble getting off the ground (or the carrier deck, as the matter stands).

Ahh, my bad. I can't imagine one of those things making it off the deck of a boat.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Endman posted:

The F-111 gets a lot of flak

Accidental puns best puns

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Most of the thread has seen this clip from Pentagon Wars abut the Bradley's design, but anyone who hasn't should take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Endman
May 18, 2010

The whole film is pretty good.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

I've said it before, forget the whole F35 boondoggle. Any fool can overspend on a new fighter, it'll even probably be halfway decent when they've thown sufficent money at it.

Our carrier purchase is a quality, mastercrafted fuckup. It has style and panache and that certain je ne sais quois that only true greatness possesses. It is an artistic fuckup.

Makes me proud to be British. :britain:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nebakenezzer posted:

You can't talk about British procurement fuckups without talking about Nimrod AEW3. At least the QE class is getting built, didn't leave the UK using piston powered Avro Shackeltons with WWII vintage radar until 1991, and doesn't look like this:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
It looks like it got stung by 2 bees.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It looks like it's waiting for some test results that everyone knows aren't going to be good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think I'm going to get on Photoshop tonight with that picture. I have an idea.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SquadronROE posted:

Looks like two planes trying to gently caress.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SquadronROE posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=VpqIcf3cIAU

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 28, 2015

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
That plane looks like Austrian nobility.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Don't worry Nimrod, I still love you.

I mean, I don't want you in service of the RAF again as your hilariously obsolete and ugly...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol nimrod

edit - still better than US naming conventions for both ships and new systems

bewbies fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 29, 2015

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
isn't the Bradley actually pretty good?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Hahahahhahaha.

Let's put it this way: We hear about Humvees, MRAPs, Strykers, and Abrams all the time in the news. When was the last time you heard about a Bradley doing anything useful? They're too big to do street patrols, they're too heavy to do rural reconnaissance, they're too soft to lead operations, and they don't carry enough troops or enough weapons to act as a support element. The complaints made in that movie were completely legitimate. I think the only story I've ever heard of a Bradley being at all useful was back in the Gulf War, where at least it could use its TOW missiles against Iraqi tanks. Until it quickly ran out of ready ammunition and had to plink away with its autocannon while retreating as fast (lol) as possible. Bradleys were deployed in the Iraq War but it quickly became apparent that they were prime targets for IEDs and so they were replaced by MRAPs and barred from combat.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 29, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

:chloe:

Check this guy out

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Alright. How does the Bradley compare against the BMP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

You can't talk about British procurement fuckups without talking about Nimrod AEW3. At least the QE class is getting built, didn't leave the UK using piston powered Avro Shackeltons with WWII vintage radar until 1991, and doesn't look like this:

Proving that with enough thrust, a platypus can fly.

• Locked thread