Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Sharmat posted:

I think we all agree that a Ciri game where she doesn't teleport in fights would be an outrage.

The Ciri game has a timer. When it hits 0:00 the Wild Hunt arrives.

The timer speeds up every time you teleport. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Manatee Cannon posted:

The final quest could be called Kill Phil.

I want this so bad.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Geralt gets killed in Rivia, because he hesitates to kill the young guy and gets stabbed by him when he's about to turn to somebody else. There's plenty of other parts where it's a close call and he's wounded for a long stretch. Monsters are kind of a routine for him, but groups of humans are more dangerous.

There's so much in the books that would make a Ciri game awesome:

Ciri drawing from the elements and casting shaky spells.

Ciri doesn't manage to kickstart the elf king's engine. So he resorts to taking fisstech

The sword that Ciri carries is actually a Gwyhyr

Ciri having fleas ride piggyback

Ciri startling knights in medieval germany

Ciri talking to unicorns, who consider murdering her

Ciri having lunch in France

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Riso posted:

The Ciri game has a timer. When it hits 0:00 the Wild Hunt arrives.

The timer speeds up every time you teleport. :getin:

Yeah this would be super cool. Because the wild hunt invasions could happen in completely different places.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

I want this so bad.

Everyone does and therefore we won't get it. A big part of me hopes they just close the door on the Witcher series after this too. No follow up games. No Ciri spin off. Just move on to other games and make them as brilliantly as this one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everyone does and therefore we won't get it. A big part of me hopes they just close the door on the Witcher series after this too. No follow up games. No Ciri spin off. Just move on to other games and make them as brilliantly as this one.

I'd be pretty okay with this.

Or they could remake Witcher 1 in this engine.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I would not be ok with that.

A break for awhile, sure. But I want more.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Sharmat posted:

Geralt tracked in the first two games before Witcher senses became a game mechanic. Ciri tracks in this game without them. People in the rest of the setting, and in real life, track without super human senses. They help, but they're not necessary.

She also has some weirdo inherent direction sense as part of her whole Lady of Time and Space schtick but it only comes up indirectly in the games in a single optional dialogue line with Gretka. "Are you lost?" "No. I never am." Though said sense isn't very specific and she can't directly control what it's pointed at.

Unless that's a book thing, I took that to be just Ciri being brave for the scared little girl she just found wandering lost through the woods and just avoided being eaten alive by wolves.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Unless that's a book thing, I took that to be just Ciri being brave for the scared little girl she just found wandering lost through the woods and just avoided being eaten alive by wolves.

That is a book thing. She always knows where she's going.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, it's a book thing.

Though it's a bit more subtle than her just always knowing where she's going. It's not a conscious thing. Still, plot justification for a quest compass!

EDIT: I really need to stop correcting people on really minor backstory notes, I feel like a huge insufferable sperg.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 28, 2015

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

She literally does track the werewolf in the first section you play as her. You could still give her the vision poo poo but change what you're following (no following scent because she probably can't do that, but she could still follow tracks and the like just fine). It's not like Batman has some special sense in his games that give him the ability to use the detective vision; it's not like the assassins in Assassin's Creed have special powers to allow them to use their vision.

Assassins actually do have special senses in those games, there is a plot justification for it, same with Batman's detective vision. I don't remember how the werewolf segment works, but I think it'd be a pain in the rear end to constantly have to do Geralt's tracking gameplay without Witcher senses, purely just wandering around an area looking for little Examine prompts.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Why would they do that, though?

Blood is blood. Can highlight it for Ciri's UI as much as Geralt's.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Beeez posted:

Assassins actually do have special senses in those games, there is a plot justification for it, same with Batman's detective vision. I don't remember how the werewolf segment works, but I think it'd be a pain in the rear end to constantly have to do Geralt's tracking gameplay without Witcher senses, purely just wandering around an area looking for little Examine prompts.

Batman is the world's best at everything. Detective vision was just an easy way to make the player feel the same way. You are right about the Assassin's being hybrids though.

The Sharmat posted:

Except that she isn't a mutant with super senses. They would have to change the tracking mechanics or do something different with her to show of her different skill sets since she is not in fact, a witcher.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 28, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They would not have to change literally anything about how it works except for the smell stuff because all Witcher sense does is highlight points of interest that you can already see anyway

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The whole point of that werewolf tracking and autopsy thing with Ciri and Gretka and the King of Wolves is showing that Ciri has the same skillset, even.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah, it's a book thing.

Though it's a bit more subtle than her just always knowing where she's going. It's not a conscious thing. Still, plot justification for a quest compass!

EDIT: I really need to stop correcting people on really minor backstory notes, I feel like a huge insufferable sperg.

I consider you a valuable resource, because God knows I can barely keep together so many of the details that come up in the books.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

They would not have to change literally anything about how it works except for the smell stuff because all Witcher sense does is highlight points of interest that you can already see anyway

But that's really useful. I use it frequently to make sure I don't miss anything interactable. And you also would really have a bear of a time trying to follow tracks without it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I know it is, which is why I said they wouldn't have to change anything because it's like that. They might remove the "follow the smell" stuff, but highlighting tracks is absolutely fine because you don't need some super sense to see a blood trail; it's just a useful thing for the player to have because it lets you be lazy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think that Witcher 4 would be as big of a jump in game mechanics as between 2 and 3 so I don't even expect them to still have the same investigation highlighting ideas so as much as I'd like to just play more Witcher 3.5 with Ciri - it wouldn't be in the style of CDPR as they really push for developing things they experiment with and hell, we would need to wait another few years for it anyway.

I'm more curious what the expansions will be like because I sense that people think they will be just some extra missions side-tracked from the main game but they might be more of a final goodbye with the series and wrapping those last things up showing Ciri's future etc.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The mutations aren't even the most important thing about witchers, just the most distinctive. They aren't all that much stronger or faster than normal humans. They heal better, true, but permanent injury is still possible. They're not like Wolverine. Geralt still can't use one of his legs quite right from when Vilgefortz broke it in a bunch of places, and it affects his fighting. Yeah they have immunity to some diseases and resistance to others, but in the second book Geralt still nearly dies of a ghoul bite.

The thing that makes witchers so effective is their intense, brutal training, and their almost unparalleled knowledge of monsters and curses, rivaling anything the Council and Conclave or any circle of Druids has ever had. Ciri has benefited from both these things to a greater or lesser degree, and has other abilities to make up for lacking the slightly enhanced senses, strength, and speed.

Palpek posted:

I'm more curious what the expansions will be like because I sense that people think they will be just some extra missions side-tracked from the main game but they might be more of a final goodbye with the series and wrapping those last things up showing Ciri's future etc.

I think they've confirmed nothing post-game for the two currently announced expansions in interviews.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Palpek posted:

I think that Witcher 4 would be as big of a jump in game mechanics as between 2 and 3 so I don't even expect them to still have the same investigation highlighting ideas so as much as I'd like to just play more Witcher 3.5 with Ciri - it wouldn't be in the style of CDPR as they really push for developing things they experiment with and hell, we would need to wait another few years for it anyway.

I think that'd be really cool, especially because your level and equipment wouldn't matter going in. I don't expect this to be what the DLC is though, or at least not the first one.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Palpek posted:

That was the point I was trying to make, really. That Ciri as the protagonist would naturally make it even more different, so I wonder how big a difference they'd want to go for after 3 has been raved about and praised all over the place.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

All three games were very well received, and all three games were very different things.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah as much poo poo (deservedly, to an extent) as the TW1 gets, it mostly got pretty good reviews and was a cult hit. Standards have just changed.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah the setting and characters themselves aren't interesting enough to me that I need another witcher sequel but the story telling and writing is good enough that I do hope they make more games.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I kinda feel like a sequel/sequels starring Ciri eventually would be the best of both worlds in that regard. It's grounded in the previous games and books, and shares a setting, but at the same time would necessitate a mostly new cast and entirely original plotlines. Which CDPR did a pretty good job with in the second game.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

Also you could easily have part of her magic abilities come back and she hones them towards hunting stuff. It's already implied she's blocked them mentally - maybe just say it's easier for her to use them if it's as a witcheress?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That also brings in an automatic plot hook via Falka if they want to use it. There's a reason she's repressing her own sorcery. It's one of the few things that isn't resolved in the books or the games.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Anyway, speaking of the other games, I don't have the means to play 2 for now anyway, but I am curious for future reference, what is the best way to play those games while avoiding the tedious stuff that brings the game down? Just changing the difficulty level to "easy" or something? I seem to recall this being discussed prior to 3's release, but I don't remember what specifically was said.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

That also brings in an automatic plot hook via Falka if they want to use it. There's a reason she's repressing her own sorcery. It's one of the few things that isn't resolved in the books or the games.

Yeah this could be cool, and it'd tie into allowing Ciri to gradually regain her magic (and thus new combat options) and tie in the Lodge of Sorceresses, who feel pretty under used in TW3. Ciri is definitely the most obvious natural progression if they made another Witcher game.

Beeez posted:

Anyway, speaking of the other games, I don't have the means to play 2 for now anyway, but I am curious for future reference, what is the best way to play those games while avoiding the tedious stuff that brings the game down? Just changing the difficulty level to "easy" or something? I seem to recall this being discussed prior to 3's release, but I don't remember what specifically was said.

Skip the tutorial in TW2 because it's not very good and also weirdly hard compared to the opening combat section of the game. You could totally just play it on easy and be fine if you don't care about the combat (which isn't amazing to begin with).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Sharmat posted:

I kinda feel like a sequel/sequels starring Ciri eventually would be the best of both worlds in that regard. It's grounded in the previous games and books, and shares a setting, but at the same time would necessitate a mostly new cast and entirely original plotlines. Which CDPR did a pretty good job with in the second game.
One of the biggest things that CDPR did to me was creating a valid cast of new characters after the books or fleshing out the ones that were only in the background in them. It sometimes seems that people who haven't read the saga think that it was about Gerlat's adventures with the same characters we get to see in the games but in the books there actually was a "fellowship" with some very prominent characters (some of them being huge fan favorites) and really only few of the fellowship's members made it into the games.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 28, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah most of the core cast of the books besides Geralt, Yen, and Ciri are dead.

The new cast is cool though. Roche, Iorveth, Letho, etc. All well written and well received. And like you said, there are some characters that appear in both the books and the games, but appeared so rarely in the books that CDPR still basically made up their personalities wholesale. Dethmold, for instance. Although now that I think of it I think Iorveth is namedropped a couple times in the books but never actually appears. So I guess he's sort of in the category too.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Well, after trying Gwent several times on NG+, I think it might just not be for me. It's incredibly frustrating for everyone except me to have hero cards, or to have cards no cards that are worth less than 5.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

Well, after trying Gwen several times on NG+, I think it might just not be for me. It's incredibly frustrating for everyone except me to have hero cards.

Hero cards are some of the most over-rated cards. You don't get to 120 points with hero cards. The 15 pointers are really good, but if you've only tried it several times, you wouldn't have come up against them yet. You also get several hero cards pretty quickly. If you play as Nilfgaard you can get a bunch of 10 point cards that aren't heroes, which makes them even better.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Snak posted:

Hero cards are some of the most over-rated cards. You don't get to 120 points with hero cards. The 15 pointers are really good, but if you've only tried it several times, you wouldn't have come up against them yet. You also get several hero cards pretty quickly. If you play as Nilfgaard you can get a bunch of 10 point cards that aren't heroes, which makes them even better.

I'm assuming they're hero cards. Whatever cards that weather cards don't affect.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

I'm assuming they're hero cards. Whatever cards that weather cards don't affect.

yeah. That's like, the only real upside to hero cards, but it's pretty easy to play around? If weather's not useful, don't use it? And if you are vulnerable to it, have clear weather effects in your deck?

I mean yeah, if you don't want to play a collectible card game, you probably aren't going to have too much fun with gwent. Which is fine.

I think it's really funny that an optional minigame is so good that people are fans of it. Lots of games a non-optional minigame that many people hate.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Snak posted:

yeah. That's like, the only real upside to hero cards, but it's pretty easy to play around? If weather's not useful, don't use it? And if you are vulnerable to it, have clear weather effects in your deck?

I mean yeah, if you don't want to play a collectible card game, you probably aren't going to have too much fun with gwent. Which is fine.

I think it's really funny that an optional minigame is so good that people are fans of it. Lots of games a non-optional minigame that many people hate.

It's not even the weather issue. It's that their cards are much higher than mine. I could just need to run around and get more cards before I play folks.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

That is a book thing. She always knows where she's going.

I'm reading Baptism of Fire, and she did get lost. She was trying to follow the sun in the desert before meeting the Unicorn, and somehow ended up back at the same rock where she ditched some of her supplies that she wouldn't need.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She also intuitively knew that west was the way out of the desert.

That didn't keep her from getting turned around in the dark and heading east after awhile by accident, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

The only problem I have with Gwent is that some really useful cards are random rewards. Like the neutral dragon card that scorches the melee row. Most of the time you just get lovely monster cards as random rewards though.