Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dr Christmas posted:

Well, at my dad's insistence, I removed the litter box that I was using to keep the cat from peeing on the carpet by the front door today. The ultimatum I posted about last week was pushed back.

So I go downstairs at 5AM, like I often did in the month it took me to convince him to place that litter box, to see if there's a pee puddle to clean before Dad gets up for work. And to no one's surprise, there is.

This problem is pretty much only going to get solved when I fix the myriad of personal issues that lead to and result from me being unemployed and living with my dad, move to a different house with a different patch of carpet, and taking the cat with me.

Holy poo poo this guy gets it :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

So possibly newbie cat question:

Stewie hasn't pooped in about two and half days. She's eating and drinking normally (she ate about a 1/2 cup of food yesterday) and still urinating just fine. She pooped a bunch on Sunday night, then threw up in the middle of the night, pooped Monday afternoon and nothing since. She's not trying to go or showing signs of distress while in the litter box. And she's still her cuddly demanding self.

Obviously since I just got her I don't have a baseline for her making GBS threads schedule. Nothing to worry about? I have a appt to get her rabies vaccine on Friday and can mention it then if she still hasn't gone.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Critical posted:

So possibly newbie cat question:

Stewie hasn't pooped in about two and half days. She's eating and drinking normally (she ate about a 1/2 cup of food yesterday) and still urinating just fine. She pooped a bunch on Sunday night, then threw up in the middle of the night, pooped Monday afternoon and nothing since. She's not trying to go or showing signs of distress while in the litter box. And she's still her cuddly demanding self.

Obviously since I just got her I don't have a baseline for her making GBS threads schedule. Nothing to worry about? I have a appt to get her rabies vaccine on Friday and can mention it then if she still hasn't gone.

How long have you had her? If it's recent, she's still adjusting so don't worry about it. The vet will able to tell if she's constipated or something but it's most likely she's getting used to her new routine.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

How long have you had her? If it's recent, she's still adjusting so don't worry about it. The vet will able to tell if she's constipated or something but it's most likely she's getting used to her new routine.

Had her since Sunday. As I was reading poo poo she commenced to take the biggest poo poo I have ever seen come out of an animal smaller than a dog. She didn't even cover it. It's leaning up against the side of the box like a hosed up tower of Pisa.

She also stared at me while she did it. I don't know why.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Critical posted:

Had her since Sunday. As I was reading poo poo she commenced to take the biggest poo poo I have ever seen come out of an animal smaller than a dog. She didn't even cover it. It's leaning up against the side of the box like a hosed up tower of Pisa.

"You wanted this, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU? Well, here it is. Enjoy it."

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Critical posted:

Haha yeah so she's fine. IIRC cats poo poo every 1-3 days normally? Confirm with the vet but yeah she'll take some time to get on a regular schedule, don't be alarmed if there's a lull in making GBS threads again soon.

She stared at you because she thinks you're a pervert.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can anyone recommend some good food puzzles for cats? For what it's worth I use Greenies as treats.

Long story short, one of my cats is getting separation anxiety and is stress grooming the fur off his legs. My vet gave me some Xylekene(?) to mix into his food but also recommended some stuff to keep him occupied while I'm not home.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you've got a box around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q6FnCEX9Tc
I just cut a bunch of holes in that box, drop some kibble in. You can make the kibble last longer by putting internal dividers inside the box so they have to work harder at getting it.

I also have a ball with adjustable holes in it that lets food out if they swat it around enough. Keeps em busy.

Friends have reported that this is a pretty good toy too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbqSYPz0jNQ

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
About the cat tree, yeah, cats will be cats, she ended up relaxing on it at least one evening. Seems she still prefers my Bf's laptop bag :P

So, recently, she discovered *being outside*, and because of this, we've got her a leash, which she's totally fine with (amazingly). But when I go out, she still tries to sneak outside. So today, we got back from a movie, it was pitch dark, and we successfully sneak inside, or so we thought. I look for her upstairs, BF looks for her downstairs, but, no kitty. So we go look outside, and there she is.. rolling around on the doorstep :D

Gotta love her sense of adventure :)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

mine took a wander out the door today. Turns out the SIGHT of the squirt bottle is enough to make a cat do a burnout getting back inside

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My cat met my boyfriend's cats last Thursday, and things have been going pretty normally. We kept them in separate rooms for a few days, did carrier introductions, and had supervised free time, and we just left the bedroom door open last night for unsupervised time and it seemed to go well.

I have a female cat and he has a male and a female. His male and my female are getting along well, and his female is kind of tolerant of his male, but she really does not like my female. No fights yet, but his female has taken to hanging out in hallways or places my cat will have to pass and hissing and growling. She's like a tiny, fluffy bridge troll. I hope I can get a video of it because it's ridiculous.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Zaftig posted:

She's like a tiny, fluffy bridge troll.

:allears:

My little guy Jayne does that to our new girl Kaylee. Last time it ended with my wife's hand in bandages and Starting introduction process all over again but drat if I don't love that quote.

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST
I just adopted a 2-yr old cat from the local shelter (she had been dumped there about a month and a half before with her mate and kitten, who were adopted separately). The people at the shelter recommended letting her out in only one room of the house so she can acclimate, and I figured I'd have that be the kitchen because that's where her food, water, and litter box are - I know, my bathroom is too small for it so in the kitchen it goes. I let her out of her carrier and she bolted into one of the low, open storage areas and is currently hiding out there. She looks pretty afraid, which I totally understand, so I made sure she had food and water close by, some toys if she wants them, and put a bed and a scratching post there as well if she decides to come out. Anything else I can do to ease her transition? She was so sweet when she was at the shelter but now looks very stressed. I gave her some love and petting - and some catnip - and she was purring but didn't really want to come out from her spot, so I left her there.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

gaan kak posted:

I just adopted a 2-yr old cat from the local shelter (she had been dumped there about a month and a half before with her mate and kitten, who were adopted separately). The people at the shelter recommended letting her out in only one room of the house so she can acclimate, and I figured I'd have that be the kitchen because that's where her food, water, and litter box are - I know, my bathroom is too small for it so in the kitchen it goes. I let her out of her carrier and she bolted into one of the low, open storage areas and is currently hiding out there. She looks pretty afraid, which I totally understand, so I made sure she had food and water close by, some toys if she wants them, and put a bed and a scratching post there as well if she decides to come out. Anything else I can do to ease her transition? She was so sweet when she was at the shelter but now looks very stressed. I gave her some love and petting - and some catnip - and she was purring but didn't really want to come out from her spot, so I left her there.

Just keep giving her space. It's not a big deal that you gave her some attention but I'd even say don't do that for now. She could stay mostly hidden for a week plus, easily, without a lot of eating/drinking/LB use. That's normal, so don't stress.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

gaan kak posted:

My cat climbed into the hollow part of my couch when I first brought her home and only came out in short bursts (food, litter box, one or two pets) for the first few days. No worries.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My poor little retard jumped off the desk in my office and screwed up the landing managed to get his front half to hit polished floorboards and back hall caught the carpet, now he's not putting any weight on his back leg. He's not screaming if you touch it and only yelps if you manipulate it too far so it's not broken. Gonna ring the vet in about 15 mins when they open and get him in ASAP to find out what stupid did to himself

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kitten just got spayed. She's obviously a bit woozy but otherwise normal. The very first thing she did when we got home from the vet was run into the kitchen and eat all the cat food from the older cats bowl. The cat sniffed her a lot because she probably has some funky animals hospital smells but it doesn't stop him from licking her ears a lot so he's probably ok with it. She's been sleeping a bunch today but seems to have gotten her energy back as she really seems to want to play tag with the older cat but I'm afraid she'll end up ripping the wound open. I'm guessing separating them for a few days while she heals is a good idea.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Its either a hip dislocation or a soft tissue injury, wont know until they sedate him and Xray it later this arvo.

I had to leave my little buddy at the vet. Worst feeling in the world since i gave him a hurry up tap on the bum before he jumped and hurt himself. Will probably be pain killers and cage time to help him heal though.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Its either a hip dislocation or a soft tissue injury, wont know until they sedate him and Xray it later this arvo.

I had to leave my little buddy at the vet. Worst feeling in the world since i gave him a hurry up tap on the bum before he jumped and hurt himself. Will probably be pain killers and cage time to help him heal though.

Poor guy. Don't feel too bad though, he's clearly a retard for not knowing how to jump down from a desk without hurting himself. That's basically the first day of cat school

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well gently caress.

Full fracture of the tibia. He's on painkillers and rest today and tomorrow, then monday goes in to get a cast put on it. Hes officially in Meowschwitz for a month now and will have the cone of shame for god knows how long.

Still very, very, very groggy from the sedation for his X ray

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Ferremit posted:

Well gently caress.

At least it was a fracture, not a compound one. There could have been a concussion, or other things related to the fall.

Please post pics of kitty in cast and cone. Thank you.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

What a dumb poo poo. I hope you constantly remind him how much money he's costing you.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Hey, anyone know any good way to get cat piss smell out of clothes?

A while ago I changed the boys' litter box for a covered one with a flap. They didn't realise to push the flap open, so one of them sat on a jumper I'd left on the bathroom floor and did his business on that.

Since then I've hand-washed it once or twice, machine washed it once or twice and hand washed it in diluted vinegar (as a disinfectant). I can still smell a sharp kitty smell in one of the sleeves. Any recourse? Stronger disinfectant? Or do I cut my losses and chuck it out?

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Hydrolith posted:

Hey, anyone know any good way to get cat piss smell out of clothes?

A while ago I changed the boys' litter box for a covered one with a flap. They didn't realise to push the flap open, so one of them sat on a jumper I'd left on the bathroom floor and did his business on that.

Since then I've hand-washed it once or twice, machine washed it once or twice and hand washed it in diluted vinegar (as a disinfectant). I can still smell a sharp kitty smell in one of the sleeves. Any recourse? Stronger disinfectant? Or do I cut my losses and chuck it out?

I have used Nature's Miracle in my wash before for urine smell. You can get a laundry version at Petco, I believe.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I also throw in some white vinegar (after I use the Natures Miracle in the first load) when I re-wash the cat pee items. Seems to help some!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
So, while we're on the topic of injuries/etc...

Does anyone have insurance for their cat(s)? I'm always paranoid about their health and frequently debating whether I should get them insurance. I've looked at Trupanion, but I don't really know much about the offerings out there. Any thoughts/opinions/testimonials?

Here's a couple of pictures in the meantime:

Monte:

Mischief:

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Alehkhs posted:

So, while we're on the topic of injuries/etc...

Does anyone have insurance for their cat(s)? I'm always paranoid about their health and frequently debating whether I should get them insurance. I've looked at Trupanion, but I don't really know much about the offerings out there. Any thoughts/opinions/testimonials?

Here's a couple of pictures in the meantime:

Monte:

Mischief:

I use petplan for my cats and have no complaints. It doesn't cover shots/annual exams, but any emergency illness/accidents are covered. You pick your deductible/% of coverage after. My cats' two plans cost just shy of $100 every three months.

It's a huge relief not to have to second guess taking them to the vet. All the pet insurance companies I've seen do reimbursement, so we pair the insurance with care credit, a vet/dentist specific credit card. We have yet to have any problems with customer service.

So far pet plan has covered more than we've paid for the last two years. Definitely worth it for our house.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
I don't think Nature's Miracle is available in Australia... Hm. I guess I'll just go to a pet shop and see if they have anything.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

my brother had pet insurance on his Mini Dachshund. Poor bugger developed bad teeth and needed nearly a grand worth of dental work. Insurance co said "Pre existing condition, not paying a red cent"

Hes since kicked them to the curb and now every time he would have had an insurance premium due he puts that figure into a high interest account (I think he even gets a new monthly quote every year to keep it matched) and sits on it.

Been doing that for a few years now and he's basically at the point where he could buy two brand new hounds with the money in that account.

Hydrolith posted:

I don't think Nature's Miracle is available in Australia... Hm. I guess I'll just go to a pet shop and see if they have anything.

We've used Urine Off to quite a bit of success, when the cat pissed on the bed it cleared that up no worries and its done a great job getting rid of where the neighbours cat pissed on our house doors.

Im still surprised its an aussie product and isnt named "Piss Off"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I posted earlier about my kitten acting a little funny with some diarrhea and stuff.

Finally could make a doctor's appointment today. Severe effusive FIP. I left the vet without a cat today. :smith:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

My apartment is just under 700 square feet. How many cats can I fit before it turns into a cat gulag?

I'm thinking just one cat. I really want to get a kitten though (of course!), and figure in that case I should get two kittens instead of one, so they can play with each other, have company while I'm gone, and better learn how to do cat things, like getting crazy-eyes and running sideways across the room. But once they grow up I feel like my apartment will be too small for both of them.

So should I get one kitten, two kittens, or one older cat that doesn't need/want a cat buddy?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Either one older cat or two kittens; if a space can fit one cat, it can fit two.

Do not get one kitten.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Protocol7 posted:

I posted earlier about my kitten acting a little funny with some diarrhea and stuff.

Finally could make a doctor's appointment today. Severe effusive FIP. I left the vet without a cat today. :smith:

I'm so sorry. When things don't seem that bad but turn out to be fatal it's never easy.

Rah! posted:

My apartment is just under 700 square feet. How many cats can I fit before it turns into a cat gulag?

I'm thinking just one cat. I really want to get a kitten though (of course!), and figure in that case I should get two kittens instead of one, so they can play with each other, have company while I'm gone, and better learn how to do cat things, like getting crazy-eyes and running sideways across the room. But once they grow up I feel like my apartment will be too small for both of them.

So should I get one kitten, two kittens, or one older cat that doesn't need/want a cat buddy?

I've been in an apartment that was around 700sqft with three cats in it. Two will be fine. Listen to what neongrey says-- one older cat, or two kittens.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

Hydrolith posted:

Try this laundry liquid
http://www.biozet.com.au/

Coles also has a no name brand stain remover that is an Enzymes cleaner for a couple of dollars.

Petbarn has Nature's Miracle

The blue bunny fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 29, 2015

Miss Ginger
May 16, 2011
Anyone have recommendations for self-cleaning litter boxes? I'd like one I can hide away in a refurbished side table/ night stand, preferably.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It's either going to be a rake one which is garbage or expensive and not fit in a night stand

If that's fine look up a litter robot

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Ferremit posted:

We've used Urine Off to quite a bit of success, when the cat pissed on the bed it cleared that up no worries and its done a great job getting rid of where the neighbours cat pissed on our house doors.

Im still surprised its an aussie product and isnt named "Piss Off"

I found some at my local pet shop. It's not called "Piss Off" because apparently it's made in the USA ;)

It said "don't breathe it in and don't get any on your hands", so I gloved up and it's sitting soaking in a bucket on my balcony. It also said "don't dilute" but I'm not going to pour the whole bottle out to soak my whole jumper, so I've diluted it anyway.

e: well, after putting it through the washing machine three times on "rinse" it doesn't smell like piss anymore, but it does smell like Piss Off. I wonder if that's something to be worried about, since they warn not to breathe it in.

Hydrolith fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 31, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of cat piss, I changed the litter recently, and overnight my cat pissed outside the box, onto the floor. This is the second time it's happened immediately after changing the litter. I'm worried that this might mean something, but he never pisses outside the box except for when I've just changed the litter. Is he just confused about where his pissbox went, or is he protesting against me changing it? Or is this symptomatic of something worse?

Cleaning up cat piss loving sucks. :(

edit: To clarify, this is the same kind of litter (World's Best), just having dumped the old stinky litter out and replaced it with fresh litter. I do nice things and this is how I am rewarded :mad:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 31, 2015

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
^^^

Maybe leave a clump or two in? We had a cat years ago who detested fresh boxes with a passion... no idea why. We never did figure him out. If we cleaned it but left like a little pee-clump or two and a tiny turd in there he was happy and would merrily pee/poo his little heart out inside the box and not out. Even changing his box to fresh litter, we would have to do the ceremonial adding of the token crap into the box. It got to be almost funny doing it.

So, perhaps your cat is as strange as my old kitty was...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Okay so looks like we have a flea problem. I've always relied on Frontline for Harvey, never had any issue with fleas at all and then suddenly BOOM. He's an indoor cat, and it's been really hot here so I assume they've just been dorment in the carpet.

But I need suggestions on how to get rid of these assholes. A friend of mine recommended Acclaim spray which I bought but seems to have done approximately nothing to curb the tide of bloodsucking monsters, and the internet seems divided on what works/doesn't work.

I'm looking for something to put on/inside the cat and something to do the carpet with. Spray? Powder? Sacrificing my firstborn? Whatever kills fleas dead.