Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

DynamiteKidd posted:

I love Tomoaki Honma because he strikes me as so unique in wrestling, has there ever been another guy like that who never really won, but made his opponents fight for their victory and always had the crowd behind them? I mean Colin Delaney had of Honma's charm in WWE, and Mikey Whipwreck was a Triple Crown champ in ECW -- I've really never seen anything like Honma, who I'd describe as "fiery babyface who is technically a jobber but usually gets a bunch of hope spots"

Tito Santana's prime as a singles guy was around 1985, but he stuck around for years as a high profile guy who never won but always looked credible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Tito Santana was nothing but garbage.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Aesop Poprock posted:

He mentioned Whipwreck in that same post and why it wasn't what he was looking for cause he got big wins eventually. So those other ones probably wouldn't count either

Dreamer said his goal was to never win any championships since it would kill his character if he ever actually won the big one. He didn't win a singles title until 2000 and that was because with the depleted roster by then they didn't have a choice.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Tito Santana was nothing but garbage.

Yessssssterday's news.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is Roman still wearing blue contacts? I remember that being a thing for a while, then completely forgot about it until a few days ago.

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

Spikeguy posted:

Is Roman still wearing blue contacts? I remember that being a thing for a while, then completely forgot about it until a few days ago.

Bluelieve That

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I've been watching random Attitude Era episodes of Raw with Al Snow matches and I still don't get what his gimmick is supposed to be. All I know about him is that he's roided out now and did stuff for TNA.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

His gimmick was that he is technically competent but very boring.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

keevo posted:

I've been watching random Attitude Era episodes of Raw with Al Snow matches and I still don't get what his gimmick is supposed to be. All I know about him is that he's roided out now and did stuff for TNA.

He is crazy and talks to a mannequin head. He went crazy because he got buried in WWF

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Al Snow's gimmick is "Al Snow is a crazy person but like in a funny way. His only friend is a hairdresser's mannequin head."

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Also lots of "dirty" puns involving the word "head"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Al Snow's real gimmick is "Mick Foley's verbal punching bag"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The only time Al Snow ruled was when he got his title shot in ECW and the ring was flooded with people throwing heads.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Blast Fantasto posted:

The only time Al Snow ruled was when he got his title shot in ECW and the ring was flooded with people throwing heads.

And headbanging with them to Prodigy's "Breathe".

gently caress, that was a great entrance.

I think he ended up losing that match because he was getting called back to WWF. That turned out well for him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

The guy Paul Heyman bought all those heads from was the first person he ever paid.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

And then he had to dump the gimmick because parents' groups complained that Al Snow's doll carrying a "decapitated woman's head" glorified violence against women.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

It's weird that came up for Al's toy at the same time the Rock was giving Rock Bottoms to Stephanie on the reg

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Luigi Thirty posted:

And then he had to dump the gimmick because parents' groups complained that Al Snow's doll carrying a "decapitated woman's head" glorified violence against women.

It started because a college professor happened to see the toy while shopping and, yes, interpreted the Head accessory as being intended to represent an actual woman's head.

So for some reason it probably looked like an action figure head instead of a featureless white wigholder

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

To be fair, it's not like accusing wrestling of glorifying violence against women is a far-fetched proposition...

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DynamiteKidd posted:

It started because a college professor happened to see the toy while shopping and, yes, interpreted the Head accessory as being intended to represent an actual woman's head.

So for some reason it probably looked like an action figure head instead of a featureless white wigholder

Yeah, it didn't even really look like the actual head, it was clearly just a mold from a barbie or something they had laying around. After the complaints they replaced it with a plain white one.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

He is crazy and talks to a mannequin head. He went crazy because he got buried in WWF

What a dumb gimmick.

zakharov posted:

Also lots of "dirty" puns involving the word "head"

I was assuming it was this since his theme was just asking if people wanted head.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
So like

You didn't see him coming down with the mannequin head or anything

That head was his entire character how hard is this

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

So like

that's not true, he also had a dog

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I was such a mark for Al. I even have my own Head.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I do too. But I need it too live.

I have an Al Snow beanie baby like thing that has a white head.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

I was such a mark for Al.

Me too. Remembered seeing him at a house show in a singles match against Phil Lafon. I sat gobsmacked at all the insane, inventive moves and counters he did in that match.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

natetimm posted:

Jim Duggan was pretty over and lost a lot.

How could he lose a lot when he never sold a single goddamn thing

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Davros1 posted:

Me too. Remembered seeing him at a house show in a singles match against Phil Lafon. I sat gobsmacked at all the insane, inventive moves and counters he did in that match.

Okay you're going to have to tell me about all the amazing moves Al Snow invented at a house show

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

Okay you're going to have to tell me about all the amazing moves Al Snow invented at a house show

He hit a springboard shiranui to the floor

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Al Snow, master of Spanish Flowsion

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I can't think of an Al Snow move offhand besides the Moonsault and the Snow Plow and I write him in a TEW thread.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Luigi Thirty posted:

They actually turned it into an angle where Al got depressed and talked about how Wal-Mart would sell guns and ammo, but selling a toy was off limits.

Also, Al was Very European before it was cool to be Very European.

E: Also, there's the Penis-Plex if we're talking about Al Snow signature moves. :v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh poo poo yeah, I forgot about Al Snow, European Champion, where he'd come out in national costumes. That was great.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

DynamiteKidd posted:

So like

Idk I thought there was more to it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What the hell does Paul Heyman's agency do besides the obvious answer of "not very much"?

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Mob posted:

He gets himself disqualified every time.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mob posted:

For a long time he was the guy someone beat up to get crowd heat on their way to fighting someone bigger. I can't remember if it was Earthquake or Yokozuna, but one of them really flattened him and he sold like death for it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It was Yokozuna. A friend of mine talked about how that was something of a seminal moment in his pro-wrestling childhood.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Jake also had the job of "getting people ready for Hogan," as he put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

ChrisBTY posted:

It was Yokozuna. A friend of mine talked about how that was something of a seminal moment in his pro-wrestling childhood.

Yeah, I was like 11 or 12 when that happened and it was really memorable to me too. I think Duggan was one of the first people to knock Yoko down, then Yoko banzai dropped the poo poo out of him, and they did the "internal bleeding" thing which was pretty stunning on a weekly syndicated early 90s WWF show