Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Scarf posted:

East Carolina is in North Carolina :ssh:

The Better Greenville. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I expect miami to gently caress up our hire, so who's an even worse Lane Kiffin?

That's who we get.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Get this from your perspective, why play an in-state mid-major that is occasionally good enough to maybe win especially on even home-and-home terms, but as a third party with nothing at stake it is pretty cool to see a team willing to do this.

Yeah, I guess it will earn us some props and potentially add to our strength of schedule. I'm just tired and bored of playing ECU -- especially when there's been virtually nothing to gain from it. Maybe the renewed emphasis on decent OOC opponents will make it a more valuable move.

D.N. Nation posted:

Can't believe I'm defending the SC Greenville since it's Tiger Town, but I disagree.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

D.N. Nation posted:

no Greenville, SC owns so hard and is the best Greenville

SOURCE: I've lived here most of my life

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Agreedo Greenville SC is great. 10 years ago you'd have been right as it was pretty lovely.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Dilber posted:

I expect miami to gently caress up our hire, so who's an even worse Lane Kiffin?

That's who we get.

I think there may be a one Mike London available after this season, he was a cop you know.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scarf posted:

Agreedo Greenville SC is great. 10 years ago you'd have been right as it was pretty lovely.

Most of my exposure to Greenville was being pissed off at having to wait until after church for breakfast when coming back from my college-aged whiskey vision quests (blue laws).

But its actually gotten pretty awesome. Reedy Park is loving beautiful.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Beckman was such an ineffectual bjmbling doofus thst they're better off with cubit.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I lived in a hotel in Greenville, SC, in Summer '04 working for a local alt-weekly. Fun, romantically impoverished times, and the town was pleasant enough, but I never really found a good party scene. Where was I missing out on?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Miami needs to hire Mike Shula away from the NFLto see if coaching alone can destroy a once vaunted program

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I think there may be a one Mike London available after this season, he was a cop you know.

he knows the acc, and his previous university extended him.

A STEAL!

As a reminder, Al is 1-3 vs Mike London.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
If you're cynical it's great for Illinois. They were going to win two games that they'll probably still win anyway and they don't have to pay the buyout they couldn't afford. They had to buy out Zook for $2.6M, Bruce Weber for $3.9M, and $620K to buy out their women's basketball coach. That's probably why they waited until they had a bulletproof case against him to fire him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dilber posted:

That's who we get.

I heard Brady Hoke is available.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

computer parts posted:

I heard Brady Hoke is available.

Gene Motherfucking Chizik

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Wow as if Illinois wasn't already a clusterfuck.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

rebel1608 posted:

Sucks for Illinois but jesus christ you can't ever allow that sort of behavior from a coach. What a dick.

Everything I've seen regarding Beckman indicates that his IQ probably tops out at 85.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This Beckman thing is literally incredible.

Good they fired him, but too bad those players basically have their season shot apart before it started.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

Brett McMurphy
‏@McMurphyESPN

Illinois found Tim Beckman deterred injury reporting & influenced players to avoid or postpone medical treatment & continue playing

Good for them for dumping him even when the timing fucks them if this is true, and gently caress that dude.

I wanted the Beck Man to just be comically incompetent, not evil :(

mastershakeman posted:

That was almost as good a season as getting crushed by Saban and LSU in the Sugar Bowl, when Illinois won the conference outright , in this century nonetheless!

That period where we were letting Illinois, Purdue, and Northwestern occasionally win the conference was weird and should be expunged from the Big Ten record books imo

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 28, 2015

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

I somehow found this

and am just as confused as Muschamp.

My penis just turtled inside my body

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I still believe he intentionally tried to tank our program because THEM BOYS IS HELL DON'T THEY

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

LeeMajors posted:

I still believe he intentionally tried to tank our program because THEM BOYS IS HELL DON'T THEY

I kind of feel the opposite -- he tried, he's just too stubborn for his own good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grittybeard posted:

Oh I forgot all about this, when the ex-Illini lineman went off on Beckman on twitter. Sounds like he had a legitimate beef.

Holy crap. That's a proclick especially given the news today.

quote:

I didn't go to Toledo because Beckman told me yoohoo chocolate drink, their sponsor at the time, has more protein than muscle milk.

:laffo:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

D.N. Nation posted:

I lived in a hotel in Greenville, SC, in Summer '04 working for a local alt-weekly. Fun, romantically impoverished times, and the town was pleasant enough, but I never really found a good party scene. Where was I missing out on?

The entire city wnet through an expansive revitalization effort. There are great restaurants and bars, a great art scene, wonderful parks, and seemingly a good festival every quarter.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

We knew you were a grower not a shower already

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Oregon named FCS transfer Vernon Adams as the starting QB for the opener against his old team, Eastern Washington. Not a huge surprise but drat, that's gotta hurt for career clipboard holder Jeff Lockie, losing out to the guy that's been there for a week.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just 6 more days until Duke crushes my hopes that Tulane will beat them.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
LSU OC Cam Cameron has been diagnosed with cancer :smith:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

dphi posted:

Oregon named FCS transfer Vernon Adams as the starting QB for the opener against his old team, Eastern Washington. Not a huge surprise but drat, that's gotta hurt for career clipboard holder Jeff Lockie, losing out to the guy that's been there for a week.

It could just be for this game, since the transfer QB probably has a better handle on E. Washington's defense than the Oregon coaches do.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

vyst posted:

We knew you were a grower not a shower already

I was once a Gurley man, now I'm a Chubby man.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Spintzel posted:

LSU OC Cam Cameron has been diagnosed with cancer :smith:

Saw that. Sounds like it's prostate cancer & he's already receiving treatment. Not to poo-poo cancer, but as long as it remain localized, prostate cancer has a massive survival rate & is typically successfully treated.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Saw that. Sounds like it's prostate cancer & he's already receiving treatment. Not to poo-poo cancer, but as long as it remain localized, prostate cancer has a massive survival rate & is typically successfully treated.

Unless it is that one variant with like a 98% mortality rate. I hope he beats the gently caress out of it. Cancer can go blow a buckeye

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted:

Unless it is that one variant with like a 98% mortality rate. I hope he beats the gently caress out of it. Cancer can go blow a buckeye

He's doing a live presser now and keeps saying he's been given a "clean bill of health" by his doctors. I suppose that means that his treatment has been successful, at least so far.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think they find prostate cancer by sticking a finger up yo butt

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Demon Of The Fall posted:

a butt lmao

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Either that or you can have a local shaman consult some chicken innards

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
i mean seriously in the butt? i'd be all like whaaaaaaat lol no wai

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Strobe posted:

It could just be for this game, since the transfer QB probably has a better handle on E. Washington's defense than the Oregon coaches do.

If they were opening against Michigan State and had a Michigan State transfer that might make sense. But I doubt Oregon is scheming much for Eastern Washington.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Excellent article about how Saban's response to the spread evolution was to say "gently caress it" and slowly shift Alabama into doing the same, but obviously better: http://www.sbnation.com/a/college-football-preview-2015/nick-saban-alabama

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
Extremely bored, so I did this

Is there a higher def version of the hot dog thing anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Raku posted:

Excellent article about how Saban's response to the spread evolution was to say "gently caress it" and slowly shift Alabama into doing the same, but obviously better: http://www.sbnation.com/a/college-football-preview-2015/nick-saban-alabama

I forget the specifics but Trent Dilfer was talking about this once and he said that because of the way pre-snap rules for alignments & whatever work, the offense will always be ahead of the defense in college because the defense basically has to show their hand, and so defense won't ever catch up under current ruleset.

LeeMajors posted:

It's still amazing how much recruiting talent Florida and Texas squandered

• Locked thread