Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
The biggest twist is that the leaker is Hideo Kojima himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Watch this whole leak thing be an ARG to obscure the real twist which is somehow even crazier

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Are you telling me these leaks are all... orchestrated!?

By The Patriots, yes.

I knew there was something up with how the leaker described how the parasites work, because Skull Face would be crippled during the events of Ground Zeroes otherwise. I'm not overly angry though, the ruse of fake spoilers is more fun than what will actually be in the game if you ask me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr. Fortitude posted:

According to a stream going on right now, Quiet has the parasites but water actually gives her a healing factor. It doesn't hurt her like the NeoGAF leak claimed.

So yes, the NeoGAF leak seems 95% bullshit now. There might be some elements of truth to it but the leaker is taking things completely out of context if that is the case.

That makes the outfit thing make a hell of a lot more sense than the sweat thing. Outfit's still stupid though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
This is supposedly the "true ending" twist:

Vemon Snake IS Big Boss. The surgery to swap places with Ishmael never happened due to Quiet's interruption. The game hints they swapped places a lot, partly because due to the damage Snake himself has self doubt about it and he apparently is acting somewhat out of character to Kaz/Ocelot. Supposedly the true ending is him meeting Ishmael who tells the whole truth. And Venom was using the fact he might be a body double to excuse a lot of the poo poo he does in the game, so realizing he's the real deal and has to face the consequences fucks him up mentally.

Honestly if it's true, that's actually pretty drat clever.

EDIT: \/ I did say "supposedly" and it makes more sense than some of the nonsense going around.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 28, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That doesn't sound very credible. Sounds like a fan theory to "fix" a bad twist.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DrNutt posted:

That makes the outfit thing make a hell of a lot more sense than the sweat thing. Outfit's still stupid though.

She's basically like... The End, really. Water and sunlight gives her a healing factor plus a badass sniper. Except The End didn't need to be almost naked to take advantage of it, so the outfit is just Kojima being dumb.

Mokinokaro posted:

This is supposedly the "true ending" twist:

Vemon Snake IS Big Boss. The surgery to swap places with Ishmael never happened due to Quiet's interruption. The game hints they swapped places a lot, partly because due to the damage Snake himself has self doubt about it and he apparently is acting somewhat out of character to Kaz/Ocelot. Supposedly the true ending is him meeting Ishmael who tells the whole truth. And Venom was using the fact he might be a body double to excuse a lot of the poo poo he does in the game, so realizing he's the real deal and has to face the consequences fucks him up mentally.

Honestly if it's true, that's actually pretty drat clever.

That's the kind of twist I am expecting honestly. There's a lot of fake outs but, no, I think the true third ending is going to be something along those lines but more fourth wall breaking and something like Spec Ops: The Line, where Venom Snake is literally the player who controlled Big Boss and made him comply with his own horrible actions.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr. Fortitude posted:

She's basically like... The End, really. Water and sunlight gives her a healing factor plus a badass sniper. Except The End didn't need to be almost naked to take advantage of it, so the outfit is just Kojima being dumb.
Spoiler: there are rainbows and sparkles

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Let's focus on the important things though, how many different Mahou Shoujo Paz posters are there?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Are you telling me these leaks are all... orchestrated!?

Orchestrated?!?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A full text dump from the game has leaked, thanks to /mgg/.
The GAF spoilers are all true.

It sounds very interesting with how it plays out though and with greater context.

The medic is Venom Snake and he's specifically stated to be the best soldier that was in MSF.

Which is sort of troubling because my best soldier was female.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 28, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
The best medic in peace walker is kojima...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Apparently, you can trivialise the Quiet boss on any difficulty by tagging her and then requesting a supply drop on her head. Each one does 50% stamina damage.

Mother Base co-op is strong!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

A full text dump from the game has leaked, thanks to /mgg/.
The GAF spoilers are all true.

It sounds very interesting with how it plays out though and with greater context.

There doesn't seem to be anything from the extra ending in that text dump though. Maybe it's something that's getting patched in? Or, as there's definitely not all the menu text, is hidden in another file?

I'm not questioning the legitimacy, but that text dump isn't "full"

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 28, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mokinokaro posted:

There doesn't seem to be anything from the extra ending in that text dump though. Maybe it's something that's getting patched in? Or, as there's definitely not all the menu text, is hidden in another file?

I'm not questioning the legitimacy, but that text dump isn't "full"

I don't think the "third ending" is actually a thing. It's just people really wanting to be Big Boss.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Haha, according to the script leak Strangelove basically spermjacked Huey so she could raise a kid and pass on the Boss's ideals to him. She even refers to Otacon as her and the Boss's son :laugh:

edit: Eli's "nom de guerre" is apparently White Mamba, because of course it is

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's no way that a true ending would be patched in.

There's so much denial going on that it's unreal. It was never in doubt since the first pictures of the guide leaked.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

I don't think the "third ending" is actually a thing. It's just people really wanting to be Big Boss.

It's very likely. They're not getting the fact that you are Big Boss. The twist is more that there's two.

Look at some of Ocelot's dialogue in that leak. He brings it up even.

Edit: also some of the guide leaks ate bullshit according to goons in the main thread. Like Quiet isn't vulnerable to water (it actually heals her)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The third ending has been discovered.

It's basically Big Boss talking to Venom and saying that even though he's not Big Boss, he is Big Boss through memes and they are in a sense, the same person despite not being the same person. He's basically calling out to the player, saying his actions and experiences make you just as much of Big Boss as he is. More or less the same kind of deal MGS 2's message was.

Except MGS 2's message was handled a lot better, because the leak about Venom being the one at Outer Heaven is apparently true as well and that just raises so many questions and plotholes with the rest of the games.

Got to be honest, I really don't like the story in this one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The third ending has been discovered.

It's basically Big Boss talking to Venom and saying that even though he's not Big Boss, he is Big Boss through memes and they are in a sense, the same person despite not being the same person. He's basically calling out to the player, saying his actions and experiences make you just as much of Big Boss as he is. More or less the same kind of deal MGS 2's message was.

Except MGS 2's message was handled a lot better, because the leak about Venom being the one at Outer Heaven is apparently true as well and that just raises so many questions and plotholes with the rest of the games.

Got to be honest, I really don't like the story in this one.

The only part of all this that bothers me is the part where Venom Snake made Outer Heaven. All of the rest is basically what I expected ever since the game's reveal and the moment in the hospital where Kaz says, "What about him?" I think it's a pretty good twist there. But Venom Snake taking Big Boss's role in MG1 is just silly.

Maybe it plays out a lot better in the actual game. One way to find out, I guess!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Harrow posted:

The only part of all this that bothers me is the part where Venom Snake made Outer Heaven. All of the rest is basically what I expected ever since the game's reveal and the moment in the hospital where Kaz says, "What about him?" I think it's a pretty good twist there. But Venom Snake taking Big Boss's role in MG1 is just silly.

Maybe it plays out a lot better in the actual game. One way to find out, I guess!

Actually Big Boss is creating Outer Heaven during the events of MGS 5, he gives it to Venom at the end to run. Why does he send Solid Snake to kill Venom? gently caress knows. I don't think Kojima put much thought into it beyond there needing to be a twist for the sake of it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Actually Big Boss is creating Outer Heaven during the events of MGS 5, he gives it to Venom at the end to run. Why does he send Solid Snake to kill Venom? gently caress knows. I don't think Kojima put much thought into it beyond there needing to be a twist for the sake of it.

Wouldn't be shocked if it's in a tape that hasn't been found yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone who's gotten the game early figured out how to get the Fist of Jehuty yet or does it seem to be a particularly secret thing?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Harrow posted:

Why is it silly? You spend the entire game of TPP learning to make a base and an army and by the end you're drat good at it. It would be more silly to just waste that experience.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
According to the text dump, Kaz becomes pissed at Big Boss for playing him like a drat fiddle and decides that he'll turn Big Boss's sons against him and throw in with Venom even though he knows Venom is a phantom. He was probably collaborating with Venom in MG1 so Big Boss sent Solid Snake in to take out Venom and/or die. Then in MG2 when it's the real Big Boss he's overtly helping Snake against Big Boss because he hates him.

Essentially Kaz and Ocelot take opposite sides when everything comes out: Ocelot is eternally loyal to the true Big Boss, but Kaz knowingly chooses the fake to gently caress over Big Boss. Ocelot eventually wins by turning Liquid against Miller enough to murder him, but by then Kaz has gotten his revenge via Solid Snake (at least as far as Kaz knows by the time of MGS1).

EDIT: So basically the cycle of revenge is carried on by Ocelot and Kaz and ended by Solid Snake in MGS4 when he saves the world and takes out Ocelot then decides to die/disappear. Except this still kinda means Big Boss is a huge douchebag so the ending of MGS4 is slightly less good, isn't it?

Nakar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 28, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nakar posted:

Essentially Kaz and Ocelot take opposite sides when everything comes out: Ocelot is eternally loyal to the true Big Boss, but Kaz knowingly chooses the fake to gently caress over Big Boss. Ocelot eventually wins by turning Liquid against Miller enough to murder him, but by then Kaz has gotten his revenge via Solid Snake (at least as far as Kaz knows by the time of MGS1).
In the stream I was watching last night, this was real obvious in how they advise opposing responses to most situations. No clue on how much freedom to one suggestion vs the obvious one you have.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also according to the text dump, Ocelot does not know that Venom isn't Big Boss because he uses self-hypnosis to forget about it after discussing the matter with the real Big Boss until some later point in the story, because what could be more :ocelot::smug: than that? So the leak suggesting Ocelot and Kaz both know the whole time is false, because Ocelot makes himself forget and Kaz gets pissed off enough to throw in with Venom intentionally once he finds out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kaz also gives up his dreams of building something like MSF/Outer Heaven when he realizes Venom is basically BB 2.0. Hence "A visionary robbed of his future". The whole Ocelot making himself forget thing is also why he's called "A rival living a lie". So Solid Snake is Kaz's last hope to stop the Patriots and Big Boss and in the end, he's proven right even after he dies before the events of MGS 1 take place.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
:siren: MEGA SPOILERS FOR VENOM & STUFF :siren:

[Ocelot] We'll have to wake up your "neighbor," too.
[Big Boss] So he's not- He seems awake now.
[Ocelot] No - well, he's not actively conscious yet at least.
[Big Boss] He was a doctor too.
[Ocelot] In his mind, that past no longer exists. Your past is his past now. He's going to be your phantom. Not some simple diversion - he'll act as the new Big Boss. And the act isn't just for Cipher - he'll be your face on the world stage. Until the time comes for your resurgence.
[Big Boss] You make it sound easy.
[Ocelot] We've been busy over the last nine years. His altered state of consciousness has helped us implant powerful suggestions through induced hypnagogia. $He's experienced all your missions on record, and shares all your knowledge and experience. To make him believe that he is the one true Big Boss. No one around him will doubt that he's the Big Boss they know. So is he the real Big Boss, or a stand-in? What does that mean to him? Nothing. The human brain is capable of many illusions. Of pain, of the future. What happens from here depends on his skill. But you can vouch for that.
[Big Boss] He was always the best man we had. But...
[Ocelot] Nine years ago, in that helicopter, he threw himself between you and the blast. In that moment, the man you knew died... He died protecting you, and now, by becoming you, he protects you again. This is just a detour in his journey to Hell. And don't forget - it's what he wanted.

:siren: MEGA SPOILERS FOR KAZ/OCELOT :siren:

[Ocelot] Big Boss is building a nation. But until it's complete, we support the other Big Boss. The phantom who carries on his legend... his meme. That, is Big Boss's plan.
[Kaz] So that's the way it is. 9 years ago, I thought everything had been taken from me. But now, I really have lost it all. The Boss, and the future we were building together.
[Ocelot] One day, the age of Big Boss's sons will arrive. They'll likely want to settle the score with him. We have to shape that age. We'll each have roles to play. Building the foundation for a revolution led by both Big Bosses - the true one, and the phantom.
[Kaz] No... Big Boss can go to hell. I'll make the phantom and his sons stronger, to send him there. For that... I'll keep playing my role. Huh. You know... Sooner or later there will be only one Boss. There's only room for one Boss. His sons are fated to face each other someday too. If the day ever comes that you go back to Cipher, I'll aid the other son. And then you and I will be enemies, too. One of us will have to kill the other.
[Ocelot] Fine by me. I'll be ready for the new age. Until then, we'd better get used to coexisting.

There are also only a handful of references to Solid Snake: Every now and then the tapes mention "the boys" with respect to the LET project, and one tape while discussing Eli says "David has never left the States". Specifically in the following exchange (:siren: SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY :siren:):

[Big Boss] What's up?
[Ocelot] About the 1972 project. Les... Enfants... Terribles...
[Big Boss] You never did like the French.
[Ocelot] All that Catherine the Great aristocratic pompousness gets to me, that's all. Palace talk... they can keep it.
[Big Boss] Les enfants terribles... "the terrible children."
[Ocelot] That madness Zero started... or the start of his madness.
[Big Boss]Y ou found out something new?
[Ocelot] The plan itself was abandoned in '76. ATGC dismantled the project, and their account with DARPA was closed. So I was worried about what happened to you- Your sons.
[Big Boss] They're no sons of mine - and they're sure as hell not me.
[Ocelot] Just a bunch of cells grown in a lab?
[Big Boss] What they are is much sicker than that.
[Ocelot] Well, Zero doesn't think so. EVA doesn't either. To them, those boys are your clones - they're you, down to the last hair.
[Big Boss] And?
[Ocelot] The first boys were raised... "free range," like we thought. Both of them. David has never left the States. But the other, Eli, has disappeared. Might as well call it "abandoned" - they're through with him.
[Big Boss] Where is he?
[Ocelot] He was in England, Zero's home ground. Apparently he traveled to Africa after that, but... That's where he escaped from Zero's care.
[Big Boss] Just like that? Why?
[Ocelot] Who knows? Maybe he found out about his "birth." If he's alive, he'd be 11 or 12 by now.

Source for all of this is the alleged text dump.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So basically everything from MG1 and on happened because Big Boss essentially cheated on Kaz, and then Kaz found out.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If only Big Boss hadn't been such a dickhead dad maybe none of this would have happened.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So wait, Was Big Boss also in a coma, or just Venom? Is it only Venom that's a cyborg?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Danaru posted:

So wait, Was Big Boss also in a coma, or just Venom? Is it only Venom that's a cyborg?

They both were but Venom was in a much longer one. Only Venom is a cyborg yeah.

Also early game spoilers but you recruit Madnar in one of the missions. He's a bionics expert, which is probably the games way of explaining why Madnar's Metal Gears was less technically impressive compared to ZEKE or Sahelanthropus since he's not strictly speaking an expert on robotics.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

So Ocelot is constantly poo poo talking Eli and even puts him in solitary confinement at one point during TPP, and yet Liquid ends up completely trusting the guy to be his right-hand man 20 years later? Liquid Snake: actually kind of a forgiving guy if you're not his dad/brother.

also Miller's Maxi Buns :burger:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They both were but Venom was in a much longer one. Only Venom is a cyborg yeah.

Also early game spoilers but you recruit Madnar in one of the missions. He's a bionics expert, which is probably the games way of explaining why Madnar's Metal Gears was less technically impressive compared to ZEKE or Sahelanthropus since he's not strictly speaking an expert on robotics.

I honestly hated the twist at first, but the more I hear, the more I'm starting to like it. I so want to hang with Madnar you have no idea

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Seems almost like the big twist was written specifically to answer the question of how Kaz and Ocelot end up on opposite sides, and Kaz is against Big Boss. I also find it funny that Ocelot ends up betraying himself just so he can help Big Boss keep this ruse. That's the good poo poo.

As for people calling Big Boss a dick, what makes you say that? Kaz has apparently been a traitor this whole time anyway, so I can't say I feel bad if he gets betrayed.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

standard owl posted:

So Ocelot is constantly poo poo talking Eli and even puts him in solitary confinement at one point during TPP, and yet Liquid ends up completely trusting the guy to be his right-hand man 20 years later? Liquid Snake: actually kind of a forgiving guy if you're not his dad/brother.

also Miller's Maxi Buns :burger:

Liquid kinda sucks at everything

I really like the plot in this. Big Boss finds out that Zero makes clones of him, and in response he turns a completely different man into himself :v:

Nakar posted:

According to the text dump, Kaz becomes pissed at Big Boss for playing him like a drat fiddle and decides that he'll turn Big Boss's sons against him and throw in with Venom even though he knows Venom is a phantom. He was probably collaborating with Venom in MG1 so Big Boss sent Solid Snake in to take out Venom and/or die. Then in MG2 when it's the real Big Boss he's overtly helping Snake against Big Boss because he hates him.

This is the part that doesn't make sense. Eventually in MG, Big Boss starts giving Snake false intel on his codec, like leading him into traps.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Momomo posted:

Seems almost like the big twist was written specifically to answer the question of how Kaz and Ocelot end up on opposite sides, and Kaz is against Big Boss. I also find it funny that Ocelot ends up betraying himself just so he can help Big Boss keep this ruse. That's the good poo poo.

As for people calling Big Boss a dick, what makes you say that? Kaz has apparently been a traitor this whole time anyway, so I can't say I feel bad if he gets betrayed.

Kaz felt remorse for siding with Cipher during the events of Peace Walker after MSF got destroyed. He also was forced to keep quiet about the manipulation Big Boss and Ocelot did to Venom which is enough to make Big Boss a horrible monster to begin with, frankly not to mention Big Boss completely betrays his ideals and manipulates a soldier as a tool for him to use and dispose of. Kaz also watches in horror as Big Boss goes from wanting to make a mercenary nation to wanting to engulf the world in eternal war and utilizing child soldiers to do so. That's why he sides with Venom, because he finally realized how mad Big Boss is. But then Venom starts adopting the same ideals as Big Boss, so he decides to train Solid Snake and put his last hope in him for stopping both Zero and Big Boss.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Broseph Brostar posted:

This is the part that doesn't make sense. Eventually in MG, Big Boss starts giving Snake false intel on his codec, like leading him into traps.

It's a retcon. We already knew there would be some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It honestly feels like the ending and twists were made in mind for the next games being a Metal Gear 1, 2 and Solid remake respectively so they'd adapt into this game's canon better. Except because of what's going on with Konami, that isn't going to happen.

• Locked thread