Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

some pretty suspect projection on your part assuming that liberals also think the inner city is a blasted wasteland

Telling

e: creme filled he'll hole this post is uh freudian as heck

If they're so safe why do we need to ban guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armyman25 posted:

we don't need to ban guns. guns are used most often against middle aged white men, which produces substantial cost savings for society in deferred medical bills before their poor diets and lack of exercise can catch up to them

lfield
May 10, 2008

raven4267 posted:

So is this forum for debate and discussion, or just to attack and ridicule people who don't toe the line? I am a liar, a psychotic sociopath who can't wait to murder a nig I mean a criminal in cold blood, I am statistically more likely to beat up my wife, I am insane for planning for anything that doesn't happen to some people, and my kid is fat because I do fire drills. Did I miss anything? I am sure one of you will think of something. I like how my initial argument about gun violence by state and rate of ownership was completely ignored by everyone who disagrees with me owning a gun to protect my family.

Nobody read your initial argument because nobody cares. Everyone's just here to make fun of each other for being idiots. We're all idiots.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

raven4267 posted:

So is this forum for debate and discussion, or just to attack and ridicule people who don't toe the line? I am a liar, a psychotic sociopath who can't wait to murder a nig I mean a criminal in cold blood, I am statistically more likely to beat up my wife, I am insane for planning for anything that doesn't happen to some people, and my kid is fat because I do fire drills. Did I miss anything? I am sure one of you will think of something. I like how my initial argument about gun violence by state and rate of ownership was completely ignored by everyone who disagrees with me owning a gun to protect my family.

you forgot that you were white

in case you haven't noticed this thread is not 100% serious

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

lfield posted:

Nobody read your initial argument because nobody cares. Everyone's just here to make fun of each other for being idiots. We're all idiots.

Don't strawman me bro!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

raven4267 posted:

Your violent paranoia, as expressed by your reading of what people have written, suggests that you would be held back from killing me only by moral cowardice. Is it unreasonable that I arm myself against this possibility?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DeusExMachinima posted:

I was serious about stopping a home invader, though I wish I'd thought to rape him to death before the cops showed up :doh:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Your violent paranoia, as expressed by your reading of what people have written, suggests that you would be held back from killing me only by moral cowardice. Is it unreasonable that I arm myself against this possibility?

Why would you want to arm yourself, surely the police will save you.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Armyman25 posted:

Why would you want to arm yourself, surely the police will save you.

Read what people write before posting, I implore you.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

Nah, that was included under me being a liar.

My bad for thinking that a thread in the debate and discussion forum was for debate and discussion. I guess I am done here then. I am not really a regular here so I blame my own stupidity.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

lfield posted:

I'll have you know that I'm one hundred percent super cereal with all my arguments in this thread.

Super duper cereal.

Armyman25 posted:

Well, which is it? Is the inner city a crime filled he'll hole that can only be saved by disarming the populace or are the dangers totally overblown to warrant taking no steps to defend yourself?

Armyman25 posted:

Because the primary danger of guns doesn't come from criminals living in the inner city, but from people who are having suicidal thoughts or homicidal thoughts involving family. Having a gun will not protect you from the first one all that well and probably won't do much to protect you from the second one since they'll also probably have access to the same gun.

Basically, if you're trying to protect yourself from someone shooting you, buying a gun is the exact opposite of what you should do, since it greatly increases the chance of someone shooting you.

raven4267 posted:

My bad for thinking that a thread in the debate and discussion forum was for debate and discussion. I guess I am done here then. I am not really a regular here so I blame my own stupidity.
This is a quarantine thread buddy, you may have had some mistaken beliefs but they probably should have been clarified by the OP. I was gonna send you a PM so we could seek out a calm adult conversation like you may/may not actually desire, but you don't accept PMs, which says even more bad things about you really.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 28, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

raven4267 posted:

My bad for thinking that a thread in the debate and discussion forum wasn't for debate and discussion. I guess I am done here then. I am not really a regular here so I blame my own stupidity.

I can only hope I get the drop on you before you can draw on me.

lfield
May 10, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Basically, if you're trying to protect yourself from someone shooting you, buying a gun is the exact opposite of what you should do, since it greatly increases the chance of someone shooting you.

Maybe for all those other people, but not me. I'm really smart, a perfect shot and I never make any mistakes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

lfield posted:

Maybe for all those other people, but not me. I'm really smart, a perfect shot and I never make any mistakes.

No, no, no! You fool! Being smart, effective, and competent increases your chance of dying from a gunshot after purchasing a gun, even more since it means you'll be less likely to screw up killing yourself, and more likely to have similarly competent family members around you to murder you!

The traits your looking for that would make you exception are "stable, rarely experience negative thoughts, and live alone".

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Criminals generally don't like to kill folk as that usually results in police making at least some attempt to stop them from being criminals. They are also, by definition of being criminals, not using guns legally.

Mentally ill people like to buy guns legally and shoot up people they know.

Hope this helps Raven! I also live in a high crime area where there have actually been two real life murders, one in park across my old apartment and one was on my walking path to work, a block away, in the past four years. I feel perfectly safe.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Effectronica posted:

I can only hope I get the drop on you before you can draw on me.

You sure seem like you want to shoot Raven.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Armyman25 posted:

You sure seem like you want to shoot Raven.

I sure as hell don't want to shoot anyone. But it's entirely possible that, being convinced liberals want to kill them by proxy of criminals, a gun nut will work up the moral courage for self-defense and attempt to kill me, a criminal and a liberal. I need to be safe.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Effectronica posted:

I sure as hell don't want to shoot anyone. But it's entirely possible that, being convinced liberals want to kill them by proxy of criminals, a gun nut will work up the moral courage for self-defense and attempt to kill me, a criminal and a liberal. I need to be safe.

Oh good. May I interest you in an NRA membership to defend your right to self defense?

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 28, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Armyman25 posted:

Oh good. May I interest you in an NBA membership to defend your right to self defense?

That's not what the National Basketball Association does.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Effectronica posted:

God drat it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Not publicly.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

The NBA and NRA should switch places one day without telling anyone. How fun would that be?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Armyman25 posted:

God drat it.

It would also be pure insanity to join an organization made up of the people I need to defend myself against, and the only reason I need guns is because they're armed. Without guns I could take on any two or three of them, not that I ever think of crushing an NRA member's nose with a palm-heel strike.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Lebron James pulls out a 9 and blasts the guy going for a layup.

Meanwhile a man passes a basketball to a home invader as he climbs through a window and knocks him out.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Ban military assault basketballs.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Ban military assault basketballs.

You slam dunk them into a tank hatch and the whole thing blows up! The average baller should not be allowed to own these things.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

NRA's new policy is when you're blowing away family members or other loved ones you need to utter under your breath a famous mass shooter.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

Criminals generally don't like to kill folk as that usually results in police making at least some attempt to stop them from being criminals. They are also, by definition of being criminals, not using guns legally.

Mentally ill people like to buy guns legally and shoot up people they know.

Hope this helps Raven! I also live in a high crime area where there have actually been two real life murders, one in park across my old apartment and one was on my walking path to work, a block away, in the past four years. I feel perfectly safe.

Generally, you are right about criminals, at least the ones who are smarter. However, many criminals are lacking in the common sense department and don't actually care about the police. I honestly don't blame them, because my personal experience with the police is that they are pretty bad at actually stopping crime or even finding the people responsible. I do realize that it is extremely difficult to apprehend many criminals. The only times police are really motivated to solve a crime is when it is a particularly heinous crime and the public outrage is great enough.

Just so everyone doesn't assume I am some gun toting maniac who thinks guns are the only thing that can protect me, I use many other tactics to keep my family safe from criminals and other threats. I know what areas to avoid where I live, I don't go looking for trouble and keep to myself generally, I don't walk around late at night by myself, I am drug free and I don't associate with drug dealers and other criminals, I keep a good situational awareness when I am outside, I have an alarm and a large dog for early warning of a home invader in my house. My house is also well lit, I have motion sensor lights around the entire house. Basically street smarts can go a long way in protecting your safety. Guns to me is a last resort option when every other precaution I take has failed.

I don't generally worry about being in a shooting with a mentally ill person because I personally evaluate this threat as very low, and if I was ever involved in one I don't think there is much I could do to protect myself. My wife and I both have our CCW permits, but I am under no illusions that I can stop some crazy person from shooting me up randomly. I personally feel that I do have a much better chance to protect my family from a violent home invader, which I feel I have a much greater chance to encounter due to the area I live in as well as my own personal experiences. If this makes me some kind of paranoid idiot, well then so be it.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

various cheeses posted:

I threw all my fire extinguishers away because it'll never happen to me. It's just too unlikely to even give it a single thought.

if there were tens of thousands of people a year killing themselves or others with their fire extinguishers that would be a debate that would be worth having, especially because one side wouldn't be absurdly protected by the constitution

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

raven4267 posted:

Maybe if you had read the thread before blowing your load at the thought of Internet posters telling you that yes, your bang-bang-die-die toy is totally needed and justified, you would have realized that this is the thread meant to contain the worst posters in D&D. Why else would I be here?

lfield
May 10, 2008
You don't need anyone else to justify your decisions, raven4267. If you think owning a gun is gonna make you safer then have at it.

Go nuts. Own the hell out of those guns.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

D&D hellthread is real

And it wants to ban mechs over 35 tons and prevent the common man from wearing a suit of powered armor.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Lebron James pulls out a 9 and blasts the guy going for a layup.

Meanwhile a man passes a basketball to a home invader as he climbs through a window and knocks him out.

Where did you find my movie script?! I'll shoot you for plagiarism, fucker!

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Who What Now posted:

Sorry you already committed suicide with the gun you would have used. :(

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

I dare you to try. I have a permit for CBC (concealed basketball carry) and the deadliest assault basketball money can buy. Even the cops are going to cringe when they watch the instant replay.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Planning for emergencies like a paranoid white prepper :smugdog:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Effectronica posted:

there was that one time though. iirc they teamed up with bugs bunny

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Planning for emergencies like a paranoid white prepper :smugdog:

"I have a 50,000 gallon tank of water on the roof ready to flood my entire house any time the smoke detector goes off. What's insane about that!?"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

various cheeses posted:

D&D hellthread is real

And it wants to ban mechs over 35 tons and prevent the common man from wearing a suit of powered armor.

you fuckers can't take my gundams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Hey guys, I think we are over looking the big picture with guns. Guns do one thing and one thing only, they cause or create entropy. This is important because entropy will cause the eventual heat death of the universe. This is important to us all. We all share the same universe, ban guns.

• Locked thread