Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

loving liol this is me at the bottom gently caress off i was born in 87

you responsible for the generously sized censor sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i'm still blown away by the people taking selfies inside the plane while the plane is crashing

what thought process do you think is involved there?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A misanthrope posted:

i'm still blown away by the people taking selfies inside the plane while the plane is crashing

"if i go down at least I'll get a bunch of likes on this photo"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A misanthrope posted:

"lets distract myself from my impeding death" maybe?????

Sam Hill
Aug 28, 2015

by Ralp
What exactly is the age cut off for a millennial? I was born in 88 and I feel like the highschool/college aged kids I know grew up on another planet. It didn't seem that way when I was their age and hung around older people. I feel like their should be a classification after Gen X but before millennial.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

"lets distract myself from my impeding death" maybe?????

yes i suppose unabashed narcissism can be a nice distraction

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Sam Hill posted:

What exactly is the age cut off for a millennial? I was born in 88 and I feel like the highschool/college aged kids I know grew up on another planet. It didn't seem that way when I was their age and hung around older people. I feel like their should be a classification after Gen X but before millennial.

I was born in 87 and feel the same way. Having social media in high school or earlier seems to be a defining feature of millennials but we didn't really have that.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
I heard a classification where millenials are the people who were between the ages of 10 and 20 on 9/11 and the younger ones are "digital natives", probably to differentiate the ones growing up with omnipresent social media

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

superman you millennial gently caress

edit:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm really sick of lovely writers trying to put a positive spin on this. Millennials as a whole have no redeeming qualities, time to stop pretending they do. Their kids are going to be even more hosed up because they were ignored by their self-obsessed parents, sat down in front of a tablet since birth, and their parenting was dictated by the whims of whatever stupid blog their parents happened to be reading that week. We're hosed.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm really sick of lovely writers trying to put a positive spin on this. baby boomers as a whole have no redeeming qualities, time to stop pretending they do. Their kids are going to be even more hosed up because they were ignored by their self-obsessed parents, sat down in front of a TV since birth, and their parenting was dictated by the whims of whatever stupid blog their parents happened to be reading that week. We're hosed.

same

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm really sick of lovely writers trying to put a positive spin on this. Millennials as a whole have no redeeming qualities, time to stop pretending they do. Their kids are going to be even more hosed up because they were ignored by their self-obsessed parents, sat down in front of a tablet since birth, and their parenting was dictated by the whims of whatever stupid blog their parents happened to be reading that week. We're hosed.

idk I think we're way smarter than you and we can look poo poo up in moments. while you putter around lost we've GPS'd that poo poo and have been waiting for 20 mins already. hurry up grandpa.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

idk I think we're way smarter than you and we can look poo poo up in moments. while you putter around lost we've GPS'd that poo poo and have been waiting for 20 mins already. hurry up grandpa.

gently caress knowin stuff

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Lol u mad

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Who Said It: Jaden Smith or Jean-Paul Sartre??

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth123123 posted:

gently caress knowin stuff

tbh I think the ability to index a lot of data (ie use the internet to research well), critically think, and sift through bullshit is WAY more important than memorizing poo poo like an encyclopedia.

obviously it's important to remember things but imo the model of rote memorization to learn is obsolete. why memorize a bunch of dates when instead you can just remember something happened and then look it up in moments for the details? like using pointers in programming for efficiency. I don't need to know the quadratic equation if I know it exists and I can just look it up if I need it, for example.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 28, 2015

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

tbh I think the ability to index a lot of data (ie use the internet to research well), critically think, and sift through bullshit is WAY more important than memorizing poo poo like an encyclopedia.

obviously it's important to remember things but imo the model of rote memorization to learn is obsolete

Yeah but a lot of millennials suck rear end at analyzing whether or not something is a good and reliable source. That's not unique to them but they rely on it more.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir_Charles posted:

Yeah but a lot of millennials suck rear end at analyzing whether or not something is a good and reliable source. That's not unique to them but they rely on it more.

well yeah but I think you'll find at least ~80% of any generation sucks rear end in general

for every bronie weirdo we've got there's some long dead fool that was super obsessed with fox hunting or whatever. 50 years ago there were probably more shut in D&D nerds or pervs who exclusively hung out in sex shops or whatever.

ability to sift through bullshit and properly index data means being able to examine the source. I agree there's a lot of brain dead idiots repeating the first thing they see posted online but that isn't something exclusive to millennials.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 28, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

obviously it's important to remember things but imo the model of rote memorization to learn is obsolete. why memorize a bunch of dates when instead you can just remember something happened and then look it up in moments for the details? like using pointers in programming for efficiency. I don't need to know the quadratic equation if I know it exists and I can just look it up if I need it, for example.

Except they don't index data, critically think, nor identify bullshit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Judging from having to peer review other students work, the oft touted millennial ability to find information is mostly confined to doing a google search, and accepting whatever they get in the first pass be it Wikipedia or Blogspot. Too lazy to even check out the materials referenced by the Wikipedia articles, or look in a book for that matter.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

Judging from having to peer review other students work, the oft touted millennial ability to find information is mostly confined to doing a google search, and accepting whatever they get in the first pass be it Wikipedia or Blogspot. Too lazy to even check out the materials referenced by the Wikipedia articles, or look in a book for that matter.

well again, usually at least ~80% of anything (generations, genre of fiction, anything) sucks rear end.

I'm sure there are many idiots but there's also a lot of successful millennials, too. There's probably more young millionaires now than at any other time in history because of venture capitalists ready to toss millions at any start up that looks okay (but I ain't lookin that up right now).

naem
May 29, 2011

the nicker posted:

saw this at lunch and had to pull out my potato to take a picture. are indian headdresses a frat thing now too?

You're supposed to have killed a man for each feather and I don't think CoD counts

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I was gonna get a caramel latte but I went for the chai latte instead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Like every other generation wouldn't do the same.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Casimir Radon posted:

This is not a joke. :ughh:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

gettin hard to tell whats ironic posts

"im mad at a whole bunch of people that didnt have a choice in the matter" - an old biggoted codger

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I saw a bunch of them lost on a hiking trail and they had wadded up their paper map and were trying to use a lighter app in their phones to make a fire with it. They were fifty feet from the parking lot!!!

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

That's beautiful. I'd like to think that player knew that little fucker was on his phone instead of watching the game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

A misanthrope posted:

superman you millennial gently caress

Lol supes flexing so hard hes probably about to burst an oring

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

"im mad at a whole bunch of people that didnt have a choice in the matter" - an old biggoted codger
Would microblogging about it make you feel better? #dustyoldbones #myfeels

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

'87 is late gen-x okay i don't wanna be a millennial

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

oh word dude do u think the season pass is gonna be more expensive this year, my dad is totally cutting me off if i dont raise my GPA this semester, no i mean hes still paying rent and stuff

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Yeah 7 years late, chump. You had a cellphone and AIM in high school, you're a millennial like the rest of us.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Nope. I was born in 1983 and I'm technically a millennial. Not sure why you'd want to be affiliated with Gen X. They were poo poo on 10-20 years ago or so. As is every coming of age generation. My brother is a super hardcore republican who owns a failing company that blames Obama for his own incompetence and he is about 6 years older than me. This whole lovely thread is basically "drat kids these days". That's never been said before. Very insightful.

I'm 32. My parent's generation poo poo on all of us. They were the baby boomers. I have explained this to them and they, for some reason, actually agreed that they were poo poo. Mine aren't TOO bad though. They gave me nothing even though they were extremely well off. They didn't do anything for me, but at least they taught me some basic skills I guess. Or at least they provided so little to me that I went and found the skills on my own. I started working at 12. They are old though. 67-68 years old or so. Probably the last generation to see an almost guaranteed retirement/pension. Unless we do something about that of course. (not going to happen)

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Really all this is just marketers trying to advertise to the dying generation that is the baby boomers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Good job on standing up for our generation Wiz Khalifa,

by acting like a douchebag at the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
gently caress millenials, i'm of the oregoon trail generation

http://socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015/04/oregon-trail-generation/

are there any other oregoon's who remember apple 2 class where you tried to crash that goddamn truck instead of carrying grapes to ohio or some poo poo

• Locked thread