Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

The size of a dynamic mercenary company depends on how much manpower their parent horde had before the commander was sent of. 10%, I believe. This is why you see so many with 50 mercs, the minimum for sending commanders is 500 manpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kingturnip posted:

I just had a syphilitic, lunatic leper take 3rd place in the Grand Tournament.
That makes a wonderful mental image.

Everybody teamed against him just conceded to avoid touch him.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

The size of a dynamic mercenary company depends on how much manpower their parent horde had before the commander was sent of. 10%, I believe. This is why you see so many with 50 mercs, the minimum for sending commanders is 500 manpower.

Also, I think they grow exponentially. So if one starts out a reasonable size they very quickly become unreasonable.

As in "whoops when did you go from three to thirty three thousand men"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Also, I think they grow exponentially. So if one starts out a reasonable size they very quickly become unreasonable.

As in "whoops when did you go from three to thirty three thousand men"

I believe the way it works is that whenever the Captain gets something like 25 gold he spends it to increase the size of the company by 5 percent, and how much money they earn is based on how many men they have. So if you send out 50 men then occasionally the Captain will hire like 2 or 3 more men and even if he's always working it'll take him decades just to break 100. If you send out a thousand men then they will basically continuously hire more and more men, who will earn them more and more money, etc..

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Aschlafly posted:

The CK2 subreddit is unusually productive today:

quote:

The arrogant priest smirked quite Jewishly

:yikes:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It's a takeoff of this:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Yes! I finally got my Islam mod working again!

Now I can finally work on it. When I have time from actual work :smith:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm excited

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What are some good horde starts?

I wanna try the 867 Khazars but my previous attempts at getting them anywhere have all ended in disaster. Does being a horde give them any sort of buff?

I've also considered starting as far-east horde and working my way towards Persia through the silk road and then converting to Zoroastrianism and Persian culture because I've yet to manage to do a decent Zoroastrian game.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 30, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The Turks are a good start - fairly small but adjacent to some civilized neighbours to raid and/or pillage, and it's fairly straightforward to get a Zoroastrian vassal from raiding so you can convert. The Bolghars work well too, much less wealthy neighbours but it's a lot easier to chew your way through a dozen small Suomenusko/Slavic tribes than slamming up against the Abbasids in the south, and they start with and near some very rich grazelands. The Khazars have a lot of potential but their early game is wrought with their other clans trying to seize power, so it's best to wait until you've got a handle on horde mechanics.

The Charlemagne start has a bunch of smaller hordes around that with a little skill and luck you can gobble up and dominate a good third of Tartaria within the first ten years, but the giant Abbasid blob to the south is a pain.

The thing to keep in mind with hordes is that you can always just leave and that will solve 90% of problems. If you're up against a giant neighbor you can't beat that's gobbling up your land, find the juiciest target within diplomatic distance, declare war, take their land, move your capital, and abandon your old home entirely. Anyone east of Turkestan is within diplomatic range of India, and there's almost always someone you can easily conquer around the Indus. For everyone else, the south-eastern quarter of the Kingdom of Rus is some of the most valuable territory in the game and is usually fragmented tribes.

Unusual
Nov 12, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wanna try the 867 Khazars but my previous attempts at getting them anywhere have all ended in disaster. Does being a horde give them any sort of buff?

I've also considered starting as far-east horde and working my way towards Persia through the silk road and then converting to Zoroastrianism and Persian culture because I've yet to manage to do a decent Zoroastrian game.

In the Charlemagne start if you play as the only mongol culture around, you start as a tributary to the big blob near you, this might sound terrible and it kind of is, but if you immediately start a war with the biggest chunk of Silk Road land to the south your good friend will probably join up if you ask. You should almost immediately be in a good enough position to deal with him. just keep grabbing silk road land and put a diplo raising action on your boss and you'll be fine.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Something to bear in mind is that you can't culture convert as nomads, so if you want to do a Zoroastrian game you might want to ruler design yourself a Persian nomadic leader to start with.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm starting to think that the AI weights "be a land owner" a little too high on unlanded male characters. That may just me thinking out loud, because I constantly see "Today my husband asked me for a fief of his own to govern." Said husband is matrilineal emperor of the restored Roman Empire.

Relatedly, are estates still a thing? I know I saw it pop up once when I was playing an Abbasid game, where I could grant a family member an estate to govern and it stopped their pestering me for "a fief of their own." But I'm not sure how to trigger it.

Or was that CK2+ thing?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm starting to think that the AI weights "be a land owner" a little too high on unlanded male characters. That may just me thinking out loud, because I constantly see "Today my husband asked me for a fief of his own to govern." Said husband is matrilineal emperor of the restored Roman Empire.

Relatedly, are estates still a thing? I know I saw it pop up once when I was playing an Abbasid game, where I could grant a family member an estate to govern and it stopped their pestering me for "a fief of their own." But I'm not sure how to trigger it.

Or was that CK2+ thing?
That's a CK2+ thing, at least that's the only time I've ever seen it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Reddit also has a bot that posts CK2-themed markov chains in r/subredditsimulator, and sometimes it comes out with some loving uncanny stuff:

CK2-bot posted:

Fixed a bug where I can't easily expand, then I just declared war for independence at the same time Balon lost against Robb and Theon was executed. Could imprison and execute all additional sons when you are a vassal of Persia, because your duchy is de jure part of my future empire.

CK2-bot also has no time for friendship:

CK2-bot posted:

There is a lot of love on this sub, downvote it and move on. I had come to far to not get into any factions.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

Reddit also has a bot that posts CK2-themed markov chains in r/subredditsimulator, and sometimes it comes out with some loving uncanny stuff:

I imagine this is what most CK2 discussion sounds like to people who haven't played a Paradox game before.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I imagine this is what most CK2 discussion sounds like to people who haven't played a Paradox game before.

Or at least, that's what it sounds like when it doesn't sound like this:

CK2-bot posted:

I didn't remember it because I only had a little boy. It's a touchy subject. hmm, OK I guess that might actually just take a break from CK2 for a few hours longer than normal.

You might like to try a demon spawn sister wife.

Anyone genuinely interested in giving this a go will do so with my main one. We all like to bed our mother/sister/daughter/cousin, it's all good

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This a 632 start mod? How far are you with it?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Start as the Old Gods Karens. Holy war for Mazandaran. Usurp duchy. Holy war for Tehran. Swear fealty to Turks. Culture change to Turks and enjoy your new raiding powers. Help Turks murder the Khazars.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 31, 2015

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Holy poo poo, I've never had this happen before!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why are all the custom merc companies tiny? Are they supposed to grow or what? Can I give them a boost in some way?

cock hero flux posted:

I believe the way it works is that whenever the Captain gets something like 25 gold he spends it to increase the size of the company by 5 percent, and how much money they earn is based on how many men they have. So if you send out 50 men then occasionally the Captain will hire like 2 or 3 more men and even if he's always working it'll take him decades just to break 100. If you send out a thousand men then they will basically continuously hire more and more men, who will earn them more and more money, etc..

What cock hero said is true, but keep in mind you can just gift money directly to any merc captain.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
When I let my son form his own Merc Company, I hired him straight away. He gets a small trickle of money from the hire costs, a small trickle of prestige from the fights they take part in and I throw a few gold his way every now and then to let him hire 5 new guys for his troop.

In my Abyssinia game, I just grabbed Sanaa in a Holy War. Best part is, Aden has 3 empty holding slots. :20bux: here I come.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So what's the opinion on the warhammer mod? I'm actually pretty blown away by how many races and locations have stuff going for them. Though the bugs are there, especially with the tomb kings currently.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

This a 632 start mod? How far are you with it?

Not that far really. I've got the Visigoths, the Franks and the Lombards completed, that's about it. Once I get the Byzantines done I'll probably post some new screenshots.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oh! Arianism and all?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Oh! Arianism and all?

Barebones at the moment, but yup.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Hit me up if you ever need anyhelp with the less easy to read about parts of the world. Also: How are you dealing with the Tang?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin' Byzantines, man.

I just want to murder my brother so he stops trying to kill my kids, stop slumming around taverns you rear end in a top hat

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Vichan posted:

Holy poo poo, I've never had this happen before!

what am i looking for

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

verbal enema posted:

what am i looking for

My guess is the AI-formed Latin Empire?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Pictish at that

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even the emperor looks sorta taken aback by it

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Nth Doctor posted:

My guess is the AI-formed Latin Empire?

I'm sorry, I should've made that clear!

The Byzantines got conquered by the Khazars in the 10th century and the Hospitallers won it back during a crusade, a few centuries back they converted to a kingdom and then this happened!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's a lot of available levies and money.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Decided to give the 867 Khazars a try. Was doing pretty great until my khagan died and literally everyone under him rebelled despite his son being a pretty decent guy. The Georgians and Dyre the Stranger also decide to invade while everyone is rebelling leaving me totally hosed.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 31, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The most amazing thing about that image is that he's played a game all the way from 769 to 1445. I mean, originally I was assuming a later start date, but that's a Pictish Uib.

That and Venice existing, and making sensible conquests.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Christ. Everybody knows how absurd the seduction is right now, but it really gets driven home if you play as the female ruler of a significant realm. I was turning down seduction attempts 3 or 4 times a month.

And probably unrelated to that, after she died my heir is apparently stuck with a do not disturb flag that I think is preventing him from knocking up his wife. Ironman game, too. There isn't any way to fix that, is there?

edit: Maybe I'm just unlucky, actually. That really shouldn't be preventing pregnancy...

edit2: And hey, it went away on its own about a decade after I took power. Odd. Good, though.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 31, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Maybe she's just naturally infertile. Divorce and remarry, or start working on a bastard to legitimize.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing Oxford, focusing on WoL hijinx, and England is hosed.

This is England during a good year:

Edward III decided to create the Kingdoms of Ireland and Wales and institute Gavelkind. A bit of border fuckery happens and Ireland owns a good chuck of England, including Middlesex. The Hundred Years War never happened, or has been contained mostly to the British Isles.

Edward's descendants fight each others constantly. English-held Ireland has disintegrated, most of French land has been lost. England and Wales were briefly reunited by a Plantagenet Queen, but she married a Wittelsbach (HRE) and a Stewart (Scotland), so they got Wales and England, respectively. At one point I matrilineally married my daughter to a landless Plantagenet, who I then got on the throne, but who was then deposed. Now I put his son on the throne so I'd get a weak king and could declare war on him to grab Winchester (Medium Crown Authority). The price for my landgrab was dividing England once again.

Ever since Edward III died, I don't think there's been a decade without England being divided and devastated in some war. Wales (mostly English now) is the most stable and powerful state with some good allies. Middlesex keeps going to Ireland. One Kaiser chose Seduction Focus so there's a fuckton of Wittelsbachs to go around, and thus HRE has intervened several times in bloody campaign. France invaded England proper too to reclaim land.

Everything is terrible, peace is a fool's dream, the sons of England are born for war, live for war, and die for war.

Meanwhile I've been cucking everyone in the background, because I don't know how I played this game before WoL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

quote:

Gavelkind is hell

Female Ruler seduction is hilariously broken. You can easily prevent civil wars by just running around seducing faction members and leaders. There was one game I had where I decided to push it to the limt, and ended up seducing every duke and count in the HRE.

] too bad you can't weaponize the syphillis trait

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 31, 2015

• Locked thread