Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

tl:dr

So you want to force your sailors to go to yet another mandatory training session when they could be on libbo or jerking off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, since you didn't read it...

But no, it's up to them though they've expressed interest in sitting down for it. My plan was to give it to them in the morning and then go out to lunch and grab a beer and discuss anything they want and then let them go afterwards for the day because that's how we roll and we're loving awesome.

If interested, topics I want to cover (still developing):
- Debt vs Investment, Debt Load, APR/Yield, & Inflation
- Markets (what they are, how they work, and market fluctuations)
- Types of Investment (brief synopsis)
- IRA and 401K
- Mutual Funds (where I intend to spend most of my time: admin fees, 12B-1 fee, loads, etc..)
- Annuities

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 28, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not going to lie I think that's way over the head of a regular dumb junior enlisted. Baby steps man. I know you say you want something not geared towards 18 year olds but might have to start there to make sure everyone is on the same level.

Before we classed up for a-school we had to do a pretty in depth mandatory 1 week finance class with some civilian. It was pretty informative but not sure if that's Navy wide

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I hear ya. Fortunately my sailors are an FCC and three FC1's so I think they're in a position where this is beneficial for them. I'm afraid it'll go over their heads, but I'm willing to take the time to make sure they're at least able to identify positions of opportunity. Once they're there, it's just a matter of research to best take advantage of it.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 28, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh ok I thought you were talking about like 15 e-3s. Never mind then

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I'm in the Navy, therefore it is the real Navy. We might do things a little differently, but we're also the future. Pilots are on their way out, in 50 years there will be no jet fighters, only drones. This will remove much of the necessity for large carriers and the strike groups that support them. The majority of combat will be handled remotely and by AI. The traditional Navy is on borrowed time.

LOL. What the gently caress are you talking about? Have you ever even been PCS afloat or to a squadron? You vastly overestimate the willingness of senior leadership to fully let go of human-driven platforms. Pilots aren't "on their way out" (if they were, we wouldn't be investing hundreds of billions of dollars into next-gen manned platforms), and afloat platforms will never be fully unmanned. Just because we can do it doesn't mean we will. The CSG as we know it isn't going away anytime soon, certainly not while you or I are in the Navy.

And no, where we work is NOT representative of the real Navy.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 28, 2015

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Because we need to "empower the mess".

They're already empowered to collectively waste hundreds of thousands (millions?) of man-hours during induction/indoctrination/whatever they're calling it this week every year.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Just wanted to interrupt chief chat to say that PSD Naples is the bane of my existence and can die in a fire.

Seriously, why am I getting travel info less than a week before an overseas PCS when I turned in my transfer paperwork more than a month ago.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'd like to thank NMCI for sitting on my paperwork for the past month while all possible work I could've been doing was handled by everyone else as I sat on a couch for 2-3 hours a day and watched, then went home. Now everything's done for the foreseeable future, everybody is taking some much needed time off, and I can sit at a desk for a couple of hours staring at my empty email inbox before going home.

Contractor life owns.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Godholio posted:

I'd like to thank NMCI for sitting on my paperwork for the past month while all possible work I could've been doing was handled by everyone else as I sat on a couch for 2-3 hours a day and watched, then went home. Now everything's done for the foreseeable future, everybody is taking some much needed time off, and I can sit at a desk for a couple of hours staring at my empty email inbox before going home.

Contractor life owns.

Oh man.

Let me tell you all about this. NMCI isn't a thing anymore, there is a new DOD contract with a system/company that is pronounced "Injun" though who knows what it's actually spelled like. This new contract gives them 20 days to make a SIPR account, but, and this is the best part, there is apparently only one dude DOD-wide that makes these accounts. My new CDR got here in early July and is still waiting on his SIPR account. Whoever wrote this contract should be fired on the spot.* This is all second-hand through our N6.

*I suspect that it went to the lowest bidder who happened to be someone who stated they could meet contract requirements (20 days) and actually didn't have the manning or infrastructure in place to do that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's perfect.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure that's how most contract bids are submitted.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Boon posted:

Oh man.

Let me tell you all about this. NMCI isn't a thing anymore, there is a new DOD contract with a system/company that is pronounced "Injun" though who knows what it's actually spelled like. This new contract gives them 20 days to make a SIPR account, but, and this is the best part, there is apparently only one dude DOD-wide that makes these accounts. My new CDR got here in early July and is still waiting on his SIPR account. Whoever wrote this contract should be fired on the spot.* This is all second-hand through our N6.

It's NGEN (Next Generation Enterprise Network) and the contract was won by HP, the exact same guys that had the NMCI contract, so they definitely had the resources in place, but they were largely able to dictate whatever loving terms they wanted for the contract, since they already owned and had all the hardware in place from NMCI and thus were able to bid at a much lower price compared to others who would have had to replace everything from the ground up.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

buttplug posted:

LOL. What the gently caress are you talking about? Have you ever even been PCS afloat or to a squadron? You vastly overestimate the willingness of senior leadership to fully let go of human-driven platforms. Pilots aren't "on their way out" (if they were, we wouldn't be investing hundreds of billions of dollars into next-gen manned platforms), and afloat platforms will never be fully unmanned. Just because we can do it doesn't mean we will. The CSG as we know it isn't going away anytime soon, certainly not while you or I are in the Navy.

It'll all be wiped out by the machines. We're not going to have a choice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hey guys quick question. I'm considering moving up to port orchard, WA for contract work and to be closer to navy stuff. After buying a house I'll have a decent little bit left over and I'm considering getting in the rental business.
What makes an apartment attractive to naval personnel?
Besides close access to bars and strip clubs. OK?
Privacy and thick sound proof walls. Not being reminded of work. Cost being as close to e5 BAH as possible?

I've heard a lot of complaints about housing near base and I thought it would be an interesting market to explore.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey guys quick question. I'm considering moving up to port orchard, WA for contract work and to be closer to navy stuff. After buying a house I'll have a decent little bit left over and I'm considering getting in the rental business.
Privacy and thick sound proof walls. Not being reminded of work. Cost being as close to e5 BAH as possible?

I've heard a lot of complaints about housing near base and I thought it would be an interesting market to explore.

Junior enlisted gently caress up their homes like its no big thing
Hope you enjoy running peeps down through their commands after they xfer so you can sue for damage. With that said triangulation between base and nightlife was my major concern

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pretty sure it would violate privacy to ask, but I wonder what the financial situation of your target audience is like in general. It's a joke about the e-3 with the new camaro at 29% interest, but how does this vary from the extreme? If the basic budgeting isn't under control, then the particulars of refinancing this or that doesn't matter. How many people are living paycheck to paycheck? Funding retirement? Have credit card balances?

Your example of the audi struck me. Audis are expensive to repair, but this guy got a 6 + note on it not knowing if it'd last.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
My friends getting DRB'd for having a power cord in his room, and knowingly having a fire hazard endangering others in his room. waaaaaamp

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ron Jeremy posted:

Your example of the audi struck me. Audis are expensive to repair, but this guy got a 6 + note on it not knowing if it'd last.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

To the rest, my guys are in stable situations and all are currently looking at retiring in the Navy - barring some medical/legal issue, 2 of them will, and 1 other is very likely. It's important for them to understand that their retirement is great but also loses value over the period of their retirements. They need to understand that to properly plan.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 29, 2015

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

LingcodKilla posted:

I just wanted a decent place in a decent area close to base. Luckily for me as a renter, every E-7 and O-4 that spends a shore tour in Kitsap rents out their home when they leave and as a result there is an unlimited supply of nice places close to base* for dirt cheap.

Keep in mind that you will probably have a lot fewer headaches trying to rent to JOs in Poulsbo/Bainbridge/Silverdale than to E-4s in Bremerton/PO.

*I'm referring to Bangor and Keyport, there are no nice places close to PSNS.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Boon posted:

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Why did you buy an audi on a 5 year note when you're getting out and going back to school? That's why I wondered about the basic budget health of your target audience.

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious. How many of these folks are living paycheck to paycheck?

quote:

the rest, my guys are in stable situations and all are currently looking at retiring in the Navy - barring some medical/legal issue, 2 of them will, and 1 other is very likely. It's important for them to understand that their retirement is great but also loses value over the period of their retirements. They need to understand that to properly plan.

Got it. Just curious.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ron Jeremy posted:

Why did you buy an audi on a 5 year note when you're getting out and going back to school? That's why I wondered about the basic budget health of your target audience.

Oh, got ya. Nah, I made a mistake on the loan but I'm generally pretty straight on my finances. I'm painfully aware that a car is a terrible purchase, but just like gambling or booze, sometimes you just want to throw money away on what makes you happy.

I bought it because:
- Really like the car, always did
- Old piece of poo poo (JO wagon) was going to cost me a whole bunch to keep alive and I feel I'm past the junker stage of my life, especially going back to business school. It was also the right time to buy.
- I originally planned to pay it down to the point where I didn't need to pay large sums during school but I made a mistake in that I chose a loan with a cheaper rate not realizing at the time that the payments were fixed. In reality, what was originally a 60 mo loan is now a max 36 mo loan from inception. It's a stupid mistake, but I sort of blundered myself into an even better position.
- The warranty will carry me through the first year of school, after which I'll be able to pay for any repairs necessary.

That said, I'm probably going to rejigger the example I use there to make it much less about my own situation. I'm planning to throw an example of everyday application after each section.

Also, if you guys think this might be useful to you when I'm done, I'd be happy to share the slides and notes when I'm finished.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 29, 2015

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cerekk posted:

I just wanted a decent place in a decent area close to base. Luckily for me as a renter, every E-7 and O-4 that spends a shore tour in Kitsap rents out their home when they leave and as a result there is an unlimited supply of nice places close to base* for dirt cheap.

Keep in mind that you will probably have a lot fewer headaches trying to rent to JOs in Poulsbo/Bainbridge/Silverdale than to E-4s in Bremerton/PO.

*I'm referring to Bangor and Keyport, there are no nice places close to PSNS.

Man Silverdale was such a nice place to live. poo poo to do, but I woke up every morning in the summer and watched the sunrise with Mt. Rainier in the background over the harbor. It loving owned. I would get that apartment as a summer home if I could.

e: Also, the single JO's I talked to would get an apartment in Seattle and take the ferry over in the morning.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Don't rent to sailors attached to things at PSNS.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Month long field exercise starts like a week after I get to Hueneme, my days are going to be guns and dirt and sleeping on the ground. Pretty excited, I want to be out in the wilderness doing work. So we'll probably still have quarters and personnel inspections to kill any enjoyment. Curious to see how someone gets masted on a field exercise, it seems tough, but if there's one thing the Seabee "Can Do" attitude has proven is that somebody always goes to mast no matter how little time or implausible it seems

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

maffew buildings posted:

Month long field exercise starts like a week after I get to Hueneme, my days are going to be guns and dirt and sleeping on the ground. Pretty excited, I want to be out in the wilderness doing work. So we'll probably still have quarters and personnel inspections to kill any enjoyment. Curious to see how someone gets masted on a field exercise, it seems tough, but if there's one thing the Seabee "Can Do" attitude has proven is that somebody always goes to mast no matter how little time or implausible it seems

squarerandom posted:

My friends getting DRB'd for having a power cord in his room, and knowingly having a fire hazard endangering others in his room. waaaaaamp

lol.

So My orders out here in Ft. Meade are almost up, but my AT just got approved for a month long here. So, there's some news I guess. Talking to my CC about going active, but it might require me to cross rate, so i'll see what i'm offered! Reserve life, ya'll

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

My boot buddy nuke-turned-Seabee just got masted. If you run across a goofy sailor named redacted mention to him you hear Sheila is a bitch. I think he's in battalion 11.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Boon posted:

I intend to break this down, even it takes an hour, to the level they need to understand and then provide the slides to them with the notes for later reference. My hope is that they actually learn some perspective and can think critically when it comes to their daily lives and finances.

You should explain to them some of the advantages/disadvantages of planning for retirement, like investing in the TSP and or IRAs in addition to staying away from the Camaro with E-1 and up financing.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Boon posted:

Oh, got ya. Nah, I made a mistake on the loan but I'm generally pretty straight on my finances. I'm painfully aware that a car is a terrible purchase, but just like gambling or booze, sometimes you just want to throw money away on what makes you happy.

I bought it because:
- Really like the car, always did
- Old piece of poo poo (JO wagon) was going to cost me a whole bunch to keep alive and I feel I'm past the junker stage of my life, especially going back to business school. It was also the right time to buy.
- I originally planned to pay it down to the point where I didn't need to pay large sums during school but I made a mistake in that I chose a loan with a cheaper rate not realizing at the time that the payments were fixed. In reality, what was originally a 60 mo loan is now a max 36 mo loan from inception. It's a stupid mistake, but I sort of blundered myself into an even better position.
- The warranty will carry me through the first year of school, after which I'll be able to pay for any repairs necessary.

That said, I'm probably going to rejigger the example I use there to make it much less about my own situation. I'm planning to throw an example of everyday application after each section.

Also, if you guys think this might be useful to you when I'm done, I'd be happy to share the slides and notes when I'm finished.

You're reinventing wheels here. The "Million Dollar Sailor" program is actually really awesome. FFSC has so many great programs that aren't taken advantage of.

We've got $200k in the bank, liquid; $175k in TSP (trad) and $50K in a Roth. 2 paid off cars and no debt.We've been living off E-5 pay since we were E-5s (a long time ago.) It's completely doable, but you tell that to an FC2 in a BMW wearing Lucky Brand jeans and a Rolex and you're wasting your breath.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

My boot buddy nuke-turned-Seabee just got masted. If you run across a goofy sailor named redacted mention to him you hear Sheila is a bitch. I think he's in battalion 11.

How recent was this masting? I may know him, but A LOT of Bees go to mast

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

poopkitty posted:

You're reinventing wheels here. The "Million Dollar Sailor" program is actually really awesome. FFSC has so many great programs that aren't taken advantage of.

We've got $200k in the bank, liquid; $175k in TSP (trad) and $50K in a Roth. 2 paid off cars and no debt.We've been living off E-5 pay since we were E-5s (a long time ago.) It's completely doable, but you tell that to an FC2 in a BMW wearing Lucky Brand jeans and a Rolex and you're wasting your breath.

I would ask you why you have 200k sitting in the bank... You obviously don't need to answer that, but 200k sitting in the bank is not great - earning maybe 1% a year in a savings account or a little more than that in a CD or savings bond means that you're losing money on nearly half of your stated wealth. It's fantastic that you've been able to save that much, but you could be doing far better for yourself. Which is exactly the point I want to make in this brief.

This actually all started because my dad got fleeced with his retirement by an insurance salesman. A State Farm rep convinced him to put his pension/cash-in life insurance policy into a retirement plan through State Farm, which among other things wrong with that idea, had a whole bunch of 12B-1 Fees and upfront taxes. I was exceedingly angry when he told me this, but after calming down a bit, I realized that they just didn't know anything about finance, were scared for their retirement, and needed help. Then I kind of realized that most people don't know very much about personal finance. That rep had me so upset that I'm still considering writing an opinion article in the local paper - it's a small town so it's going to get read by the ones most likely to be impacted by that rear end in a top hat.

Yes TSP is a good way to go, but when is something else better? Yes that retirement is going to be great, but you may want to consider hedging it against inflation in your later years. Those are the kinds of things I want them to understand. Or at least try.

Seqenenra posted:

You should explain to them some of the advantages/disadvantages of planning for retirement, like investing in the TSP and or IRAs in addition to staying away from the Camaro with E-1 and up financing.

Yeah, I intend to talk briefly about the concept of stocks/bonds, when and why, but then spend a lot more time on the details of retirement vehicles such as the TSP, 401(k) with matching, annuities, and IRAs as well as what to watch out for when selecting mutual funds.

Boon fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 29, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

How recent was this masting? I may know him, but A LOT of Bees go to mast

Less than a month ago now for drinking in the barracks with underage. He got three weeks on time out.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

You need to get a property manager (don't try to do this poo poo yourself, you'll lose your mind). I won't go into "which ranks to rent to vs. not rent to" I'll just leave it at "let a property manager handle it for you".

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

poopkitty posted:

We've got $200k in the bank, liquid;

Wtf? Put 175k of this into a managed portfolio. What the hell are you doing? The interest you're earning (even in a high-yield savings account) probably doesn't even keep up with inflation.

Vanguard
RaymondJames
Betterment

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

gently caress that, buy a Porsche!

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Less than a month ago now for drinking in the barracks with underage. He got three weeks on time out.

What got him kicked out of nuke school? Let me guess...

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

45 days. They wouldn't have been caught but one dude in his infinite wisdom decided to go to the QD.

I shot him a message saying recruit Dad says hello

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

What got him kicked out of nuke school? Let me guess...

Failed out academically. Also stated he understood why people kill themselves there, a disturbing recurrent nuke trend

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Failed out academically. Also stated he understood why people kill themselves there, a disturbing recurrent nuke trend

You know? I'm completely not surprised you two know each other. He's a loving cool kid.

"Won't happen again Chief" - a cool kid.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

buttplug posted:

You need to get a property manager (don't try to do this poo poo yourself, you'll lose your mind). I won't go into "which ranks to rent to vs. not rent to" I'll just leave it at "let a property manager handle it for you".

Oh no I was more trying to figure out makes it attractive in general to sailors. Like the base min square footage for a single person. Things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

buttplug posted:

tl;dr: gently caress property managers.

I would not recommend a property manager unless you are either on deployment or too far from your property. Every property manager I've had has been all about doing the bare minimum to collect their 10% per month. I am taking over the management of my home now that I live close enough again and I went to do some work on it last week. After seeing it and doing some work on it I'm ready to choke someone out.

• Locked thread