Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Lost and Azazel can both take damage from the sacrifice room spikes though, so I doubt Azazel will be safe. I'd assume The Lost would be safe from taking damage from it just like how it doesn't have to pay for devil deals.

More like the Lost CAN'T stop the waves... good luck! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That honestly sounds about right. Who knows though, maybe you can't even play as alternate characters in greed mode. I only skimmed the blog post so I dunno if it confirms that or not. It'd be kinda cool if you were stuck with Eden in it though.

TheOrange posted:

I'd kind of figure it'd work like the sacrifice rooms though, where even if you have flying it'll damage you.

That is literally what I said? :raise:

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Manatee Cannon posted:

Please don't say that; it sounds like something that could actually have upgrades locked behind it

Whelp, time to warm up the ol' cheat engine.

I finally broke down for my second and third files. The Lost really isn't fun at all. At least he's alright with brimguppy and holy mantle in the first item room :v:

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Manatee Cannon posted:

That honestly sounds about right. Who knows though, maybe you can't even play as alternate characters in greed mode. I only skimmed the blog post so I dunno if it confirms that or not. It'd be kinda cool if you were stuck with Eden in it though.

That is literally what I said? :raise:

Ah, yeah, I must of mis-read that. I kind of hope that mode lets you just keep going or if they can build counters to some of the more insane item combos you could end up with.

Honestly I didn't mind Lost too much until I tried doing the Boss Rush, at least if you Alt+F4 before the game over screen you can reset yourself to the boss room and take another whack at it. It felt cheap but honestly gently caress ever doing that again.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Goddammit. Doing challenges I've never bothered to do, doing "The tank" aka no damage no speed lots of HP-got goat's head first floor, so I assumed it'd be a won run. And then in every single devil deal from start to finish, there were no damage ups at all. Or anywhere else in the run.

I try again, immediately get Abbadon. :mad:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fuego Fish posted:

I was about to say "how could you possibly do this as the Lost when pressing the button damages you" until I realised it damages you via spikes and the Lost can fly.

Which would make Azazel the best character for scumming it, I guess?

You don't have to press the button

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You don't have to press the button

For some reason I parsed "cleared x waves" as "cleared everything", in a sort of boss rush, do-it-all-or-die kind of way. My mistake!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay so it just dawned on me that The Negative is supposed to be, y'know... a negative of the polaroid:

..and not a sassy demon polaroid with eyeshadow and buckteeth:

I'm so loving ashamed :cripes:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Your Computer posted:

Okay so it just dawned on me that The Negative is supposed to be, y'know... a negative of the polaroid:

gently caress I'll never unsee that now

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The negative is a really good pun (sort of) because what else could be used as a dark (or say, bad, or negative) version of a photograph?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The negative really bothers me because polaroids don't have negatives that's the whole point of polaroid cameras in the first place jesus.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The negative is an even better pun. Because OF COURSE you would go to a dark room with a negative.

Mr Phillby posted:

The negative really bothers me because polaroids don't have negatives that's the whole point of polaroid cameras in the first place jesus.

WELL. :v: It kinda depends on the type of polaroid. There is one type (additive color film) that has a sort of pixelated layer where every pixel is only transparant to the right kind of colour, and the photo layer immediately develops into a positive. But other polaroids (black and white ones and substractive and integral color film) first expose a negative, after which the rollers press the negative against the positive, with a layer of chemicals in between. The light 'uses up' the photosensitive chemicals on the negative, and turns those parts dark/coloured, creating the negative. Then the unused photosensitive chemicals are transferred to the positive, and are developed by the light outside the camera.

So for most polaroids, there is indeed a negative. It's just used up in the process of developing the positive.

---

In other news, a red chest in the devil room teleported me directly to the black market (without any way to get back up, there was only the hole down to the next level). I did not know that could happen.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Color Printer posted:

The negative is a really good pun (sort of) because what else could be used as a dark (or say, bad, or negative) version of a photograph?

Go through the dark room, develop the polaroid, next level is the cathedral but worse, followed by the womb but worse, all the way back up to the cellar and then the first floor of the house, followed by an escape to the outside world where you have to face the for real true final boss in the bus terminal before freeing yourself for good which deletes your save game ala Nier but without any warning prompts.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cephalocidal posted:

Go through the dark room, develop the polaroid, next level is the cathedral but worse, followed by the womb but worse, all the way back up to the cellar and then the first floor of the house, followed by an escape to the outside world where you have to face the for real true final boss in the bus terminal before freeing yourself for good which deletes your save game ala Nier but without any warning prompts.

I would love this. I'm really hoping that one of the expansions for BoI will be "Redemption", where Isaac finally gets a happy ending. Like my stupid theory is how the fortune teller machine says "Bring him the photo" means that Isaac brings the photographic evidence of the abuse to his father, who gets custody of Isaac.

Sorry that's kindof fan-fictiony, but that's what I picture happens to Isaac after he finishes The Chest.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

IUG posted:

I would love this. I'm really hoping that one of the expansions for BoI will be "Redemption", where Isaac finally gets a happy ending. Like my stupid theory is how the fortune teller machine says "Bring him the photo" means that Isaac brings the photographic evidence of the abuse to his father, who gets custody of Isaac.

Sorry that's kindof fan-fictiony, but that's what I picture happens to Isaac after he finishes The Chest.

Nope. The Chest is Isaac climbing inside his toy chest and suffocating while hiding from his mother, hence blue baby being the boss

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Computer posted:

this is better though

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

Post it on Tumblr. Ed collects Isaac fanart, even the really weird stuff.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

IUG posted:

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't that guy who according to Edmund got the closest to the true story of the game say that Isaac wasn't actually being abused? Something went wrong in the family, his parents split up, and Isaac blames himself. As a result, he has nightmares about being punished. He thinks that'll happen. And those nightmares are what we're seeing.

So a happy ending would involve... Isaac growing up. And that's it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Your Computer posted:

You're not alone, friend.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, I always saw The Negative like that as well.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Took long enough, but I finally got Eternal God in Flash Isaac. Guppy isn't required to win, but if you don't have it you had better have a great fire rate and decent damage. (Or the other way round, either will do) Curved Horn for example is ideal because it's a big, flat boost and Eternal Mom drops both Mom's Purse and the Polaroid. You can out-range both Eternal Isaac and Eternal ??? if you have enough range when they teleport to the left or right edges of the room, which makes them long, but fairly straight-forward fights.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 27, 2015

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

So PAX had some Rebirth footage with new things shown!

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/v/13259137 (skip to 1:17:11)

There's a new title screen so people know you have Afterbirth
And a few new items were shown, like the Dunce cap which is...permanent R U a wizard effect

and :getin:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nooooooo :gonk:

imagine this room with low damage

imagine this room with Dr. Fetus or Soy Milk

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

And a few new items were shown, like the Dunce cap which is...permanent R U a wizard effect

Yet another useless item that you skip whenever you see it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Pixeltendo posted:

permanent R U a wizard effect

Why did Edmund think that anyone would ever want that?
Aren't items supposed to make your character somewhat better? I could see this as a trinket, since it's quite similliar to the worms. But finding that in an item room is just more complete garbage.
Except for tears down, R U a wizzard ones are already the worst pills anyway. If I get one of those, I barely hit anything untill the efect finally vanishes.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Air is lava! posted:

Aren't items supposed to make your character somewhat better? I could see this as a trinket, since it's quite similliar to the worms. But finding that in an item room is just more complete garbage.
Except for tears down, R U a wizzard ones are already the worst pills anyway. If I get one of those, I barely hit anything untill the efect finally vanishes.

Could synergize well with existing/new items. Like, imagine a Cylon version of tech 2 that sweeps left to right and back. Wizard it up and maybe you get two beams that sweep a 270 degree arc and cross in front of you for double damage or something, who knows.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Air is lava! posted:

Dunce cap + quad shot + death's touch w/ max tear rate

'nuff said

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Still only good if you have Rubber Cement, and I'd still rather just shoot in a straight line

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

I've been in a room with three The Cage's in regular old Rebirth already, why should this scare me

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

flyboi posted:

Dunce cap + quad shot + death's touch w/ max tear rate

'nuff said

As opposed to quad shot + death's touch w/ max tear rate on its own, which is of course completely useless :v:

Unless there's some new synergies I don't see it being useful

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
How does Edmund not see R U A Wizard as a negative effect? It's always a downgrade to your DPS. You can't even fire shots point blank to cancel out the DPS decrease because the angles the tears shoot at are pretty huge. Unless your target in question is also huge.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Dunce Cap doesn't seem like a TOTAL R U A Wizard effect. It shoots in both directions at the same time. Which is maginally better, and it would work with other items, maybe? Still probably gonna skip it as much as I skip Tiny Planet, though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dr. Fetus posted:

How does Edmund not see R U A Wizard as a negative effect? It's always a downgrade to your DPS. You can't even fire shots point blank to cancel out the DPS decrease because the angles the tears shoot at are pretty huge. Unless your target in question is also huge.

Dunce cap has a 20/20 effect so the DPS would remain the same. I mean it wouldn't be the most useful item but it could have some sort of underlying stat boost that we don't know about. The thing about my combo above vs without it you would shoot 8 scythes at once instead of 4 which would make quite the fan.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Air is lava! posted:

Aren't items supposed to make your character somewhat better?

not at all, there are a bunch of items that completely screw you over. I think this will be great.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

A lot of games designers don't understand their games as well as the people who've played a huge amount of them

flyboi posted:

Dunce cap has a 20/20 effect so the DPS would remain the same. I mean it wouldn't be the most useful item but it could have some sort of underlying stat boost that we don't know about. The thing about my combo above vs without it you would shoot 8 scythes at once instead of 4 which would make quite the fan.

That's more interesting. Still rubbish imo :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There would need to be new items in the expansion that make that effect useful because as is the only use for it that I can see is a silly gimmick run

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
why does it have to be useful :confused: since when was that a prerequisite for items. there are a bunch of useless or annoying items in the game as it is. this is why curse of the blind exists.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
At the very least, they should at least be 1 situation where such an item turns out to be useful. It makes runs more interesting other than, you got saddled with a bad item, too bad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Maybe it syncs with Triple/Quad Shot and you get a spread gun from Contra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Koramei posted:

why does it have to be useful :confused: since when was that a prerequisite for items. there are a bunch of useless or annoying items in the game as it is. this is why curse of the blind exists.

Other than the Poop, I'm pretty sure any "useless or annoying item" is actually intended to be an upgrade, even if they are in some cases actually detrimental.