Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

This is really helpful and I'm glad you're doing it. Thanks. But your images got all out of order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

It's a billboard in Grand Junction, Colorado.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

As you may remember from other posters, the Republican rallying cry in Madrid was "No pasarán" ("They will not pass"). When Franco's forces finally captured Madrid, Franco supposedly sent his military a dispatch saying "We have passed".
Of course "They shall not pass" has a rich and storied history, starting with Verdun Gandalf's defense of the bridge of Kazad-dum, through Cable street and, indeed, ending with the fall of Madrid, 4 days before the official end of the war. Hemos Pasado indeed.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I haven't had the chance to translate Spanish posters for a couple days now so let's get on this!

"Communist Party
The commissar, nerve of our popular army"
Quick linguistic note: in Spanish, the word "popular" derives from/is related to "pueblo". While "pueblo" can translate to "town", it also has connotations of "people". So, "pueblo español" could translate as "Spanish town" or "Spanish people". It's not a huge deal, but if you see me translate something as "popular", make a mental note that it could just as easily be translated as "people's".

And yeah, the communist militias had commissars. The PCE (Spanish Communist Party) was heavily influenced by the Comintern and the USSR, so this shouldn't be a huge surprise. I don't think the Spanish commissars were nearly as notorious as their Soviet counterparts, though.

Soviet commissars were morale and political officers. Shooting people tends to be detrimental to the proper maintenance of overall morale. We had a post in the milhist thread about the actual function and duties of commissars and we were assured they didn't shoot people.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Ann Telnaes posted some of her Hurricane Katrina cartoons from 10 years ago to mark the anniversary. Some of these are savage.

e: imgur not generating thumbnails properly for a couple of these...

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 28, 2015

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Klaus88 posted:

Soviet commissars were morale and political officers. Shooting people tends to be detrimental to the proper maintenance of overall morale. We had a post in the milhist thread about the actual function and duties of commissars and we were assured they didn't shoot people.

:commissar:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

tyool 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Klaus88 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w4Xulsjo5I

:v:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

:allears: I'm glad somebody spent money on this.

Haha holy poo poo the Wix website.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Beautiful.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

ought ten posted:

This is really helpful and I'm glad you're doing it. Thanks. But your images got all out of order.

Don't worry, I noticed it as soon as I posted it and it's been fixed :)

Klaus88 posted:

Good to know! I know stuff like "Not on step backwards" is way overstated in the general perception of commissars, but I'm not too clear on how brutal (or not) Soviet commissars really were.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Please let Trump and Sanders be the nominations. :allears:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Link? Sounds interesting.

Or at least one to the military history thread since I have no idea what subforum it's under.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 29, 2015

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Nope. They just told the NKVD who to shoot.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Somfin posted:

Drawing a character whose primary hair colour shifts from black to green(ish yellow)?

That's a specific character? The guy opposite him is the same except that he's bald. In this case, The LA Times did it's job worse than ... Rall.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Met posted:

Please let Trump and Sanders be the nominations. :allears:

I would rather not have president trump.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Grapplejack posted:

I would rather not have president trump.

There's no independents that voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 that will switch to Trump for 2016.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Next 10 posters:

"Let us rise up against the Italian invasion of Spain!"
As I'm sure everyone itt already knows, Italy and Germany both intervened pretty directly in the Spanish Civil War. Apart from material aid, both countries also sent military forces to aid the Nationalist cause. The Germans famously sent the Condor Legion, but also provided Franco with the aircraft he needed to get his forces off the Canary Islands and into Spain. The Italians, as you can see, played a similar role. Private enterprises also backed the Nationalists. Texaco, for example, had made a deal to send the Republic some shipments before the war started. That oil was en route when Franco's rebellion kicked off, though, and Texaco redirected it to be sent to Nationalist-held ports.

The Republicans also had their own international backers. The USSR, for example, sent tanks, aircraft, and some military forces. They also stored the Spanish national bank's gold reserves when the latter were threatened by the Nationalist advance. Mexico sent guns and ammunition. And of course, there were movements such as the International Brigade.

"The Internationals, united with the Spanish, are fighting against the invader"
Speak of the devil! Nothing to add to this.

"The anarchist books are weapons against fascism"
Books/knowledge as weapons is a recurring theme in Republican propaganda. I think I already mentioned Spain's dismal literacy rate for the time, so it should come as no surprise that the Republic placed a lot of emphasis on educating the poor.

"The Nationals
Ministry of Propaganda"
[on the mast/gallows]"Up with/Arise Spain"
The military, clergy, and rich guide the boat of the Nationalist junta. Note that it says "Lisbon" (Lisboa) on the boat--a reference to Portugal's own fascist movement under Salazar, which was very friendly towards Franco. You may also be wondering who the swarthy-looking gentlemen in the back and in the portholes are. Those are soldiers from the Army of Africa, which as I already said were generally a mix of regular Spanish and Moroccan troops.

"More men! More arms! More munitions!"
The armbands refer to the UGT, one of the larger labor unions in Spain at the time.

"Ministry of Public Instruction
The cultural militias fight against fascism [by] combatting ignorance."
Again, knowledge and weapons.

"Children: respect animals and plants"
It's not all guns and misery! The Republic can be adorable too!

"They will not pass! -July 1936
We will pass! -July 1937"
So far we've mostly been dealing with political stuff, let's shift gears to the military situation so we can understand this. By July 1937, the Nationalists were putting a lot of pressure on the Republican strongholds in northern Spain. In an attempt to relieve the pressure, the Republicans launched an offensive that ended up in the battles of Albarracín and Brunete. On balance, the offensives didn't work out very well; the Republic only ever managed stalemates at best, and the Nationalists took control of the north sooner or later anyways.

"Our coasts shall be defended by our brave sailors"
Apart from the Condor Legion and air assets, the Germans also sent naval forces, although these were ostensibly acting as a sort of peacekeeping role. In May 1937, Russian bomber pilots working for the Republic mistook the German cruiser Deutschland for a Nationalist ship and bombed it. In response, the German navy shelled the coastal town of Almería. I'm guessing that's what this poster is referencing.

"Worker! Joining the Iron Column strengthens the revolution
CNT-FAI"
The CNT-FAI was yet another labor union. If it seems like there's a lot of those, that's because they represented different schools of political thought. The CNT-FAI was an anarchist union, while the UGT tended towards communism iirc. This was an extension of the differing political views of the Spanish Left.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Great cartoon about the GOP's hostility towards America by noted left-wing cartoonist Richeal Mamirez.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

colonel_korn posted:

Great cartoon about the GOP's hostility towards America by noted left-wing cartoonist Richeal Mamirez.

agc

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

Easiest AGC in a while.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

You gotta give me the yellow beady eyes!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

colonel_korn posted:

:wow:

An incredibly accurate and insightful cartoon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess he did get the privilege of being called a lone crazy even though he wasn't white, didn't he?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Remember, guys: it's the liberals who politicize tragedies by bringing up gun control in the wake of a mass shooting.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Gen. Ripper posted:

Remember, guys: it's the liberals who politicize tragedies by bringing up gun control in the wake of a mass shooting.

Talking about gun control causes shootings just like talking about racial inequality causes racism. Don't you know anything about this country?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The cop reaching for his gun or the guy holding a go-pro?
drat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Marty Two Bulls posted:

Trump's Birthright?
Donald Trump wants to keep illegal immigrants out of the United States. Ok, Mr. Trump, when will you be leaving?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I have a high school friend who keeps posting lovely racist macros from some Donald Trump group on facebook, so thanks for this.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Reposting from the '16 Primary thread in EE:
Alfred P. Pseudonym totally beat me to the joke

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

They must REALLY want this email thing to stick. I can't wait to see more impotent rage when Hillary skates through this one, too.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
OK, time for the next batch:

"Out with the invader!"
Funny that the Republicans chose to use a bullfighter here, I've always heard that the sport was more popular among the fascists. According to Orwell, the bullfighting stadiums in Republican towns were always closed because all the really good matadors were fascists.

"S.E. the Generalissimo"
Not sure what the SE is supposed to mean.

Cat Mattress posted:

"Su Excelencia" ("His Excellency") perhaps?
It's probably this.

"The Fifth Column is a danger, destroy it!"
In case you didn't know, the use of the phrase "fifth column" to denote a secret rebellious force originated in the Spanish Civil War. Madrid was being sieged by four Nationalist columns, and Franco bragged that there was a fifth column of Nationalist forces secreted inside the city and waiting for orders to rise up and throw out the Republicans. No such force ever materialized, I think, but the word stuck.

"Culture is a weapon for fighting fascism"

"The FAI, in the bloody front, in the labor front, fights for humanity"
The FAI was an anarchist union. During the war it joined forces with the CNT labor union to form the CNT-FAI.

"War and revolution are indivisible
The line of fire and socialized production, key to the final victory over fascism
Social forge
Daily of the revolution"
A little something for the ladies :q:
I'm guessing "Social forge" was the name of a newsletter or such that appealed to labor-class tastes.

"The Economic-Social Transformation of the World
A Call to the Youth
Conference organized by the Institute of Economic Sciences of Catalonia by Pres. Joan P Fabregas
The 19th at 7:30 in the Sala Mozart"
Catalonia was one of the last regions to fall to the Nationalists. It's historically been an economic and cultural engine for Spain, particularly in the decades leading up to the Civil War.

"The union of the army and the people will be the weapon for victory"

"Read
[By] combating ignorance you will destroy fascism
The Ministry of Public Instruction opens the libraries to the people
If you cannot read in the library, ask for books to read at home"

"The militias need you!"
Woman played a pretty famous role in the militias, as I'm sure everyone here can tell by now. They gained a lot in the Republican years: abortion, civil marriages in lieu of religious ones, eased divorce. Of course, once Franco came into power women lost a lot of those rights and were relegated to the kitchen and the bedroom.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 29, 2015

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Boy, that mrs. Cunton sure seems like an awful person.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Uh... You might want to get a new font there Tinsley

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Oh man wouldn't it be horrible if Clinton said this thing I just made up!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

First of all, terrible Hilary Clinton. Second of all, I love when font choice just shits the bed like this, it's magical. The exact same demographic of people who read this crap in the newspapers are the ones who will complain about it and get it pulled.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The people reading the newspaper and looking for drunk duck have zero issue with how that looks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shhh, let me dream.

• Locked thread