Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

People get too hung up on how classes worked in old FFs, as if any of the jobs in 14 function anything like they do in the other games. RDM could end up being tank, healer, or dps and they could easily make it work under the filmsy theme of "sword guy with magically themed abilities" if they felt like it.

They should do gambler next, just to be silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Velthice posted:

you might make your first ever good post but i doubt it

still waiting on yours

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
holy poo poo you giant babies

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Boten Anna posted:

still waiting on yours

ah the classic "no u" *breaths in deeply*

vintage

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

homeless snail posted:

People get too hung up on how classes worked in old FFs, as if any of the jobs in 14 function anything like they do in the other games. RDM could end up being tank, healer, or dps and they could easily make it work under the filmsy theme of "sword guy with magically themed abilities" if they felt like it.

Like I've been saying, there's already a regular recurring class in Final Fantasy that is exactly what you're describing, so it'd probably be easier to introduce Mystic Knights and give them Red Mage flavoring than to add actual Red Mages and have them function at all similar to their classical nature.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Like I've been saying, there's already a regular recurring class in Final Fantasy that is exactly what you're describing, so it'd probably be easier to introduce Mystic Knights and give them Red Mage flavoring than to add actual Red Mages and have them function at all similar to their classical nature.
Mystic knights are dumb though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

homeless snail posted:

Mystic knights are dumb though.

Counterpoint: no?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

A cool reason to do Mystic Knight in XIV would be that they would finally have a Mystic Knight in an FF game worth playing because they can't do poorly balanced, unfun throwaway poo poo jobs in a theme park MMO like they can single player ones/XI, which is the category Mystic Knight has historically been in.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

A cool reason to do Mystic Knight in XIV would be that they would finally have a Mystic Knight in an FF game worth playing because they can't do poorly balanced, unfun throwaway poo poo jobs in a theme park MMO like they can single player ones/XI, which is the category Mystic Knight has historically been in.

uh mystic knights ruled in 5 dude

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Cloud was a very strong Mystic Knight.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Doublestep posted:

what did they do to it in wod

it was fine in mop

Fistweaving was never really much of a thing, you can do it during low healing moments but it's not going to be as potent as just directly healing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Boten Anna posted:

Uhhhh MK was super good in 5

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Unless you work at Square Enix nobody gives a poo poo about your cool original idea for a new class.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

Fistweaving was never really much of a thing, you can do it during low healing moments but it's not going to be as potent as just directly healing.

Fistweaving got us world first Gara'jal kill when we had to 3 heal it and have dps from healers. It was all downhill from that tier though if I recall correctly.

E:

Fister Roboto posted:

Unless you work at Square Enix nobody gives a poo poo about your cool original idea for a new class.
BUT WHAT ABOUT my specialized ranged trap-kiting evasion tank-support job that's zany they just have to add it!!?

Pews fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 29, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
FFV didn't care about balance because the whole point of the job system was to mix and match abilities to your tastes.
Including such tastes as dealing ~80k damage in a single round.
And in the GBA version the bonus dungeon kinda assumes you've broken the game over your knee with the system.

Rather than say 'I wish they brought X class' I'd rather go with 'I'm interested to see their take on X class.' It's kind of what they've done so far and it works.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Fister Roboto posted:

{We're chewing the fat.}

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Found this awesome and easy to follow write-up and rotation info on end-game gathering collectables.

With my melded gear I'm at 651 gathering, 645 perception, and 600 gp and this is working wonders for me.

quote:

This is the /echo Macro I made to remind myself of the cycle and the rotations for each node.

Legend:
DE - Discerning Eye (increases next appraisal by 50%)
SM - Single Mind (stops the next appraisal from consuming a gathering attempt)
UC - Utmost Care (halves the wear cost of the next appraisal)
Meth - Methodical Appraisal (x1 quality increase)
Imp - Impulsive Appraisal (x0.9 quality increase, but a 30% chance to proc a free DE)

Perception Requirements;
Perception caps a certain amount, meaning once you hit that cap the most that you can gain from a DE-Meth is 172. You will need around 584-587 perception to reach the cap on Adamantite Ore and Chysahl Greens, but you will definitely cap on the lower blue scrip items with it too. Best way to reach this is with full lvl 60 Serpentskin gathering set. You can either use 2.0 BiS Accessories fully melded or get the new accessories and meld a minimum of 5 perception on each one (III materia)

You can still do these rotations, so long as your Methodical does at least 112 (169 with DE), so if you are a little under 587 you will still be fine. I don't recommend relying on food too much as if you constantly farm the procs it can get expensive.

GP Requirements;
You will need 600 GP. Period. You can get this as above with the 60 set plus 2.0 accs melded, or with the full 3.0 set as long as you meld like 3 GP somewhere.

You will also need to stock up on Cordials. Normal Cordials can be bought for 500 seals at GC, so if you have a surplus of seals from GC turn ins while leveling gatherers/crafters/equipment turn ins, this can be a cheap way to be self sufficient. Hi-Cordials can be bought with blue scrips

Macro:
/echo TP -> Tailfeather -> Coerthas @8:30 - Chyshal Green [6] 470+,
/echo TP -> Azyz La - pop 11:00 - Adamantite Ore [6] 470+ USE CORDIAL
/echo MIN =TP -> Ok Bendu - pop 12:00 - Red Quartz [6] 450+ USE CORDIAL OR
/echo BOT = TP -> Hinterlands - pop 12:00 - Morel [7] 450+ USE CORDIAL
/echo TP or stay -> Hinterlands pop 2:00 - Cuprite [2] 450+ GP REGEN/CORDIAL
/echo Fly back & Turn in
/echo ----
/echo Rotation 1: DE - Meth - DE - Meth - DE - Meth = 3x 172 = 2 items @516+
/echo Rotation 2: DE - Meth - DE - Meth - SM - Meth = 2x 172 + 115 = 3 items @ 459+
/echo Rotation 3: DE - Imp - (Proc) - SM - Imp - (Proc) - SM - Meth = 2x 155 + 172 = 4 items @482+
/echo Rotation 4: DE - Imp - (Proc) - SM - Imp - (nil) - DE - Meth = 2x 155 + 172 = 3 items @482+
/echo Rotation 5: DE - Imp - (nil) - DE - Imp - (Proc) - SM - Meth = 2x 155 + 172 = 3 items @482+
/echo Rotation 6: DE - Imp - (nil) - DE - Imp - (nil) - DE - Meth = 2x 155 + 172 = 2 items @482+
/echo Rotation 7: (530+) DE - Meth - DE - Meth - UC - Meth - UC - Meth = 2x 172 + 2x 115 = 1 item @574+

Explanation:
Note: This is not an action Macro. It is simply an /echo reminder of where to go and what to do. Feel free to add or delete information as suits your taste

For the Blue scrip nodes (450 quality) use rotation #2. This will get you 3 items at the minimum amount

For the Red scrip nodes (470 quality) use either #1 or #3-6. #1 is the basic with no RNG that will get you 2 items at the right amount. Once you are comfortable with how collecables work, you can try using 3-6. It is technically the same rotation, but your luck with procs will determine how you proceed. Basically if Imp procs, then you can use a SM to not consume a gathering attempt when you appraise. So at the end your quality gain will be the same but you will have one more opportunity to gather. If you get no procs, then you get 2 items, the same as the non-rng rotation and the slightly lesser appraisal has no effect ont he red scripts earned, so there is nothing lost.

Rotation #7 is only used for getting one item at 530+ gathering. You need these to exchange for Counterfoils needed for buying Blue gear from Rowena. You would only need 6 - 1 for the tool and 5 for armour pieces. Don't use this rotation on scrip turn ins as getting 530+ appraisal will only increase the scrips earned from 8 to 9 and not worth it when you can get 8 more with a second gather.

Also note that if you have both botany and mining, you can gather both 60 point blue scrip turn ins in the Hinterlands. If you only have mining you can go for Adamantite > Red Quartz > Cuprite. If you only have Botany then you can go Chyshal Green > Morel. If you have both then go Chysahl > Adamantite > Morel > Cuprite. Don't bother going to the 10am spawn inbetween chyshal and adamantite as you won't be able to regen the GP inbetween with the 55 min limit.

Gains:
If you get the base level of x4 red scrip items and x6 60 point items then each Eorzean day you will earn 32 red scrips and 360 blue scrips. At this rate you will reach the weekly cap in 15 gathers and you could afford one folklore book every 13-14 gathers. If you get lucky with procs and get more red scrip items then you can cap faster.

Once you cap there is no need to go for the red scrip items unless you want to harvest them normally to sell on MB or craft (Adamantite is quite useful)

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 29, 2015

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

Every time you punch something with Punchmancy you get a Punchflow stack that increases your healing effectiveness by 5%. Every time you use Punchcure, it uses a stack. If you have no stacks your punchheals are ~85% as effective as the other healers with their garbage hippie nature "magic" poo poo. At full Punchflow, which stacks to I don't know, 5 or 8 or something, a Punchcure does something like 120-130% effectiveness. Another cool thing is there's no Cleric Stance bullshit so you can focus on weaving between Punchmaning and Punchcuring, as well as (punch) positioning which you have to care about now. Cool special abilities include Throw Punchcure which isn't as potent as Punchcure but you don't have to run over to the dipshit ranged that are getting hit by poo poo, Punchdiction which consumes all your stacks and has a long cooldown and summons the holy sky punch to do a large AOE punchheal, Punchrally which mitigates an amount of damage based on Punchflow stacks, Punch Up which gives you some Punchflow stacks on cooldown, and Punchsomeotherthing for whatever pedant poo poo you come up with to whine about how impossible it would be before spending 5 goddamned seconds thinking about the myriad of obvious ways something like this could be designed to give it an interesting set of both limitations and strengths.

While I like the idea in theory I really like the names of every spell and hope these end up with our theoretical punching healer class

Kjermzs fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 29, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Fister Roboto posted:

It's the Sephiroth job and all his abilities are limit breaks and all enemies he kills turn into atma and

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?
Dead

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

The only job they need to add to XIV is dancer how does anything else even come up its self evident.

tap out steps not unlike ninjitsu to perform forbidden tangos, saucy salzas, wonderous waltzes and malignant macarenas, keep to the beat for criticals :getin:

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 29, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

:sigh:

The entire point of the punchcure post was that it's stupid to argue that a general idea for a type of job is imbalanced or too weak/strong as if that's the kind of thing you can determine from a job that doesn't exist as anything other than a vague spitballed concept. I shouldn't have to actually design a loving class just to make the broad statement "maybe a melee healer might be a way to shake things up who knows?" I was hoping that sarcastically actually outlining how a melee healer might work might drive that point home, because actually trying to design a fan class for an mmo is loving stupid and pointless (BLADEBLITZ), but apparently it didn't.

I hope that clears things up for you!

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

The entire point of the punchcure post was that it's stupid to argue that a general idea for a type of job is imbalanced or too weak/strong as if that's the kind of thing you can determine from a job that doesn't exist as anything other than a vague spitballed concept. I shouldn't have to actually design a loving class just to make the broad statement "maybe a melee healer might be a way to shake things up who knows?" I was hoping that sarcastically actually outlining how a melee healer might work might drive that point home, because actually trying to design a fan class for an mmo is loving stupid and pointless (BLADEBLITZ), but apparently it didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Spaceman Future! posted:

The only job they need to add to XIV is dancer how does anything else even come up its self evident.

tap out steps not unlike ninjitsu to perform forbidden tangos, saucy salzas, wonderous waltzes and malignant macarenas, keep to the beat for criticals :getin:

Limit Break 3: MANDERVILLE

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

I wasn't referring to you specifically, but I guess it's always safe to assume you're the center of attention, right?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I wasn't referring to you specifically, but I guess it's always safe to assume you're the center of attention, right?

Oh yeah, totally hosed up for me to assume that you're talking about the only thing that matches the description of what you're talking about :rolleyes:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Boten Anna posted:

Oh yeah, totally hosed up for me to assume that you're talking about the only thing that matches the description of what you're talking about :rolleyes:

Please shut up.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Do all big fish produce a big tug on your line? I've been trying to catch a storm dancer for a while and haven't had any luck. Up until now I thought that for big fish, I could ignore anything that isn't a big tug. All the conditions are right (raining at night) and I've also been popping Patience II, but I haven't gotten a single big tug yet at the Jadeite Flood. Am I just really unlucky?

From a page ago, but as far as I recall, the only big fish without the big-fish-tug is The Salter.

e: Make sure you're using Stem Borer as your bait too. And the whole night doesn't work, just 5 pm to 2 am.

Vil fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 29, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vil posted:

From a page ago, but as far as I recall, the only big fish without the big-fish-tug is The Salter.

e: Make sure you're using Stem Borer as your bait too. And the whole night doesn't work, just 5 pm to 2 am.

Thanks, that's really helpful. And yeah, right bait, right time, right weather, right everything. Guess I just got unlucky.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fister Roboto posted:

And yeah, right bait, right time, right weather, right everything. Guess I just got unlucky.

Fishing in a nutshell :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Big fish that don't require a. mooching, b. a specific pair of consecutive weathers, or c. an intuition buff from catching something else, tend to be d. really obnoxiously loving rare.

Some most big fish have more than one of these traits, of course.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Almost level 20 on marauder, then time to play a different class til I get my paycheck in a few days. So far having a ton of fun; ended up overleveling the story while actually trying to keep up to date on it (got side tracked from it til level 11 or so and have been playing catch up since, still haven't even unlocked the first dungeon but I've been doing the quests around on the way.)

I just wish I wasn't such a goofy looking motherfucker, this red dye looks awful and makes me feel like a heavy armor power ranger

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
They could build off of Bravely Default RDM and become stronger as you get lower in MP/TP/HP, kind of like a berserker class. The more BP (turns) you used and the lower your HP (or if you were suffering from an ailment) you grew stronger, your spells cost less, and you eventually had a higher ability to crit.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Doublestep posted:

They could build off of Bravely Default RDM and become stronger as you get lower in MP/TP/HP, kind of like a berserker class. The more BP (turns) you used and the lower your HP (or if you were suffering from an ailment) you grew stronger, your spells cost less, and you eventually had a higher ability to crit.

Bravely Second jobs in FF14 when

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

Eerkik posted:

Almost level 20 on marauder, then time to play a different class til I get my paycheck in a few days. So far having a ton of fun; ended up overleveling the story while actually trying to keep up to date on it (got side tracked from it til level 11 or so and have been playing catch up since, still haven't even unlocked the first dungeon but I've been doing the quests around on the way.)

I just wish I wasn't such a goofy looking motherfucker, this red dye looks awful and makes me feel like a heavy armor power ranger

Buy some dye. It makes a difference. Not sure why this game gave my character so much pink dyed gear in the beginning of the game, but now it's all "bone white" which is, according to this game, actually a color of yellow. Hurray!

Made my first intentional HQ things yesterday, a goldsmithing choker that gave a little more CP and a tailoring vest that's level 12 and gave notable more control than it's NQ version. Not sure it was really worth it, truth be told, but hey - I did it!

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

sethimothy posted:

Buy some dye. It makes a difference. Not sure why this game gave my character so much pink dyed gear in the beginning of the game, but now it's all "bone white" which is, according to this game, actually a color of yellow. Hurray!

Made my first intentional HQ things yesterday, a goldsmithing choker that gave a little more CP and a tailoring vest that's level 12 and gave notable more control than it's NQ version. Not sure it was really worth it, truth be told, but hey - I did it!

Dying you get at level 15, but it's in a town in Western Thalanan so he won't be able to reach it until he gets airship access.

As for your crafting, you're going through The Part Where It Gets Fun right now - even if actually getting to the endgame is a serious slog, leveling up your leatherworker so you can wear a nicer crafting belt so you can finally HQ mainhands on Blacksmithing etc. becomes a very pleasant positive reinforcement loop. It's the nice part of leveling all the classes equally vs. beelining the high level crossclass abilities from level 15.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

sethimothy posted:

Thanks for the dye recommendation. I'm still on the free trial for a couple more days (waiting on my paycheck because I blew all my disposable income on a new computer and gpu) so I don't think buying dyes is an option yet, but I'll definitely check that poo poo out. Honestly I preferred the pink to the ridiculous red / purple I'm getting right now. Goddamn square what made you think making quest armor be this color / clown suit was a good idea. At least give a strip dye option

At least I'm officially in full level 15 tank gear finally. Though I did look pretty alright in the level 5 or 10 marauder quest armor with blue pants that looked like jeans. And drat this game is pretty with sweetfx. Too bad the ambient occlusion is broken as hell (keeps turning off and on depending on how I move my camera). The cartoon dress up is real

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

KaneTW posted:

Bravely Second jobs in FF14 when

they need to add merchant so i can use big pharma on my static members and make them even more poor

Griz
May 21, 2001

Eerkik posted:

Thanks for the dye recommendation. I'm still on the free trial for a couple more days (waiting on my paycheck because I blew all my disposable income on a new computer and gpu) so I don't think buying dyes is an option yet, but I'll definitely check that poo poo out.

there's only three dyes on the cash shop (metallic red/green/blue), everything else comes from npc vendors, crafting, or retainer ventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Eerkik posted:

Thanks for giving me an excuse to tell anyone who missed it previously that this exists. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHgznsj9Brc

• Locked thread