Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Ferret King posted:

I still have a DS Lite that I've dusted off and started playing again on my breaks at work. I'm really not looking to get a newer handheld, but maybe you guys won't mind my question here.

What are some must-play games? I currently own and enjoy the following:

Phoenix Wright series
New Super Mario Bros
Zelda Spirit Tracks
Elite Beat Agents
Animal Crossing
Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart

I'm thinking I should get the Castlevania games for sure and maybe an RPG. I'm not a huge Pokémon fan. Also I guess this thing plays GBA games so I'd be open for suggestions there too.

Thanks for any advice.

For you RPG needs, definitely consider Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. Really long and weird title, really, really great game. One of my all-time favorites from the DS's amazing library. Also try The World Ends with You, which is another great RPG that makes creative use of the touch-screen and dual screen mechanic. And has some pretty great music.

Definitely get the Castlevania games. Aria of Sorrow (GBA), Dawn of Sorrow (sequel to Aria on DS) at minimum. The other two DS Castlevanias are pretty great too, though. The other two GBA Castlevanias are kind of hit or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SelenicMartian posted:

What's the appeal supposed to be?

The articles.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Protect Me Knight 2's localization is dead in the water, right? Or should 6 months of no news be normal for a translation of a simple eshop title?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Falcon posted:

For you RPG needs, definitely consider Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. Really long and weird title, really, really great game. One of my all-time favorites from the DS's amazing library.

Can vouch for this. Replaying it at the moment (well at least until I picked up LBX) and still really enjoying it after all these years.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Do Level 5 games for the 3DS suck less than what they unleash onto the PS3?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

general chaos posted:

Protect Me Knight 2's localization is dead in the water, right? Or should 6 months of no news be normal for a translation of a simple eshop title?

There's a Protect Me Knight 2? Now I'm just sad that it exists and we are not getting it :(
I don't suppose there's any chance of it releasing anywhere else? The original XBLIG release barely had anything to translate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Professor Layton is good

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Protect Me Knight 2 is definitely still coming, they just haven't been posting many updates (and most of their updates are in Japanese so they don't get reported).

raditts posted:

There's a Protect Me Knight 2? Now I'm just sad that it exists and we are not getting it :(
I don't suppose there's any chance of it releasing anywhere else? The original XBLIG release barely had anything to translate.

There is and it's much better than the original. They haven't said anything to suggest a port to another system but the 3DS version will come over sooner or later.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So Monster Hunter 3 and 4 are on sale (for 13/30 bucks respectively) along with Etrian Odyssey 4. Which of these would you goons recommend?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

Fantasy Life was a hell of a lot of fun, and I see LBX heading down the same path. Haven't played a bad Level-5 game on the 3DS yet.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

strategery posted:

So Monster Hunter 3 and 4 are on sale (for 13/30 bucks respectively) along with Etrian Odyssey 4. Which of these would you goons recommend?

MONSTER HUNTER 4 UUUUUULTIIIIIMAAAAATE

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

strategery posted:

If you can get past the creepy character designs EO4 is good. Probably less of a grind than Monster Hunter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Don't project your own creepiness onto eo4

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The rear end Stooge posted:

Seconded.

homeless snail posted:

Anime avatar, weighing in on creepiness, nice.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Professor Layton is good
I've eh... experienced the original trilogy, through the miracle of emulation, and while the first one was good it wasn't due to Level 5 creativity. I'm certain 99% of the puzzles there were copied from old books on puzzles and logic in general. The sequels were kinda meh, and Level 5 puzzles were a step down. Did the series get better on the 3DS?

I'm mostly asking about their RPGs. That tabletop-looking one, the Inazuma soccer series, and Fantasy Life and Yo-Kai thing.

Ragequit posted:

Haven't played a bad Level-5 game on the 3DS yet.
Only seen their mad skills on the Sony systems :ohdear:

The rear end Stooge posted:

Does the early game in MH4 involve something like freezing your arse off for 45 minutes just to kill an ostrich?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Anyone still playing Mario Golf? The communities are basically dead, and I prefer playing with people rather than just throwing scores onto a board.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Monster Hunter 4 is amazing. It has a bit of a barrier to entry because you have very deliberate movements and you can't cancel out of attacks, leading a lot of people to declare "the controls suck". A few hours in it clicks with you and then you're fully committed to Monster Hunting for life. If the idea of killing giant dinosaurs/spiders/monkeys/dragons and creating armor and weapons out of their body parts sounds good, then try it out. It's a challenging, fun, exciting game with a great multiplayer scene.

Definitely check into the game's thread for tips though because there are a lot of mechanics/game systems to juggle, it's actually not that complicated but it can seem overwhelming at first and it helps a lot to have someone say "Oh yeah that weapon is meant for this kind of playstyle, also don't worry about palico gear", etc.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SelenicMartian posted:

Does the early game in MH4 involve something like freezing your arse off for 45 minutes just to kill an ostrich?

Only in Multiplayer. Single player ramps up a lot faster than MH3U did, and most of the "go get some mushrooms" or "carry this egg" quests are optional or give you town upgrades for your time.

You also get to play with the Charge Blade, which is the most anime weapon to date in a mainline Monster Hunter.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Roluth posted:

Anyone still playing Mario Golf? The communities are basically dead, and I prefer playing with people rather than just throwing scores onto a board.

Just for you, I'll play whatever courses you whip up. I am probably rusty garbage by now though. Since it has been awhile, I can probably buy all the gear I missed in the shop!

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Ragequit posted:

Just for you, I'll play whatever courses you whip up. I am probably rusty garbage by now though. Since it has been awhile, I can probably buy all the gear I missed in the shop!
How does a week deadline sound? Should I put the tourney code here or in the Mario Golf thread (which is very dead)?

Roluth fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 28, 2015

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SelenicMartian posted:

There's a bit of learning curve at the start as you acclimate to some of the game's concepts, but once you get to the actual 'you hunt monsters, and then carve em up for pieces to make better gear to hunt bigger and nastier monsters, rinse/repeat' part- which honestly doesn't take long if you don't want it to- there's a lot of action and just about no 'fuckin around, doing nothing' to contend with. This has some gathering/farming to it, so if you do want to do a bit of fuckin around doin nothing for a bit, you got that as well.

Best starting advice I can give is once you get to the village, run through each of the weapon tutorials. They'll give you an idea of what fighting monsters is like, and also help you find a weapon you'll be happy with.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Mario Golf Tourney is up!
36-2752-9485-6533
Deadline for scores is in a week.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

raditts posted:

The expanded 3DS version seems to have an actual single-player campaign. As well as a level editor and more characters and expanded RPG elements. And download play coop.

What I'm trying to say is, this might be the perfect game.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

I bought Senran Kagura 2 because, unlike Dark_Titsanime I have no shame in my love of fat anime tiddies. It plays pretty well and the frame rate's solid even if the lack of a block or cancel/parry system is weird (unless I am missing something?). Oh and it's a blessing you can skip all the garbage visual novel writing by pressing the start button.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Two bad looking portraits means the whole dang game is tainted.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

il-landier posted:

I bought Senran Kagura 2 because, unlike Dark_Titsanime I have no shame in my love of fat anime tiddies. It plays pretty well and the frame rate's solid even if the lack of a block or cancel/parry system is weird (unless I am missing something?). Oh and it's a blessing you can skip all the garbage visual novel writing by pressing the start button.

I play it for the garbage VN and try and mash through the actual game as quickly as possible.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Custom Robo Arena
Infinite Space
Radiant Historia
Mega Man Zero Collection
Time Hollow
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV
Hotel Dusk
Last Window: Secret of Cape West
Advance Wars: Dual Strike.
Super Scribblenauts.

infinite space wasnt that good, please don't troll

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

For you RPG needs, definitely consider Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. Really long and weird title, really, really great game. One of my all-time favorites from the DS's amazing library. Also try The World Ends with You, which is another great RPG that makes creative use of the touch-screen and dual screen mechanic. And has some pretty great music.

Definitely get the Castlevania games. Aria of Sorrow (GBA), Dawn of Sorrow (sequel to Aria on DS) at minimum. The other two DS Castlevanias are pretty great too, though. The other two GBA Castlevanias are kind of hit or miss.

this guy knows whats up

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i like infinite space a lot but i will also not consider it mandatory.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Infinite Space was fantastic.

There, covered the whole spectrum, play the game at your own peril.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Silver Falcon posted:

Seconding Final Fantasy Tactics A2 and The World Ends With You.

Speaking of, when are we getting another Final Fantasy Tactics Advance game? Other than the pretty solid gameplay I actually really liked the crafting system in the last one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Square seems to have gone loving nuts lately so who knows.
Though getting announced then quietly cancelled five years later is more likely

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I want a new Tactics Ogre game, I've felt those games are superior to FFT and we haven't gotten once since the GBA.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

raditts posted:

I want a new Tactics Ogre game, I've felt those games are superior to FFT and we haven't gotten once since the GBA.

The last one was the LUCT remake for PSP. You won't be seeing any more of them because Matsuno isn't at Square anymore. Last I saw, he had successfully kickstarted an SRPG for phones.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Thank you very much, everyone, for the suggestions.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

il-landier posted:

To make replays faster, you can set the game to automatically skip story section on the configurations menu. Obviously, this only works with scenes already seen (doesn't matter if you skipped them)

As for the game system, the most important thing is to learn to use and abuse the warp kunai.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tender Bender posted:

Monster Hunter 4 is amazing. It has a bit of a barrier to entry because you have very deliberate movements and you can't cancel out of attacks, leading a lot of people to declare "the controls suck". A few hours in it clicks with you and then you're fully committed to Monster Hunting for life. If the idea of killing giant dinosaurs/spiders/monkeys/dragons and creating armor and weapons out of their body parts sounds good, then try it out. It's a challenging, fun, exciting game with a great multiplayer scene.

Definitely check into the game's thread for tips though because there are a lot of mechanics/game systems to juggle, it's actually not that complicated but it can seem overwhelming at first and it helps a lot to have someone say "Oh yeah that weapon is meant for this kind of playstyle, also don't worry about palico gear", etc.

I can second this. I struggled at first as the controls tricked me into trying to play the game like a Souls game. After a while though it clicked and now I'm hopelessly addicted.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is the X Rom for GBA SP worthwhile?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Last I saw, he had successfully kickstarted an SRPG for phones.

He's only doing the story and gameplay. Playdek are the ones making it.

There have been no updates on Unsung Story for 3 months and the backers are getting pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
If I already own MH4U, is there any reason whatsoever to pickup MH3U?