Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

WickedHate posted:

What's a good gag gift for a fellow comic geek? I want to evoke the feeling "Awww, gently caress you too pal :3:". The other, non joke things I'm planning on getting him are Ellis' Moon Knight and Godzilla: Half Century War.

Onslaught Reborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

WickedHate posted:

What's a good gag gift for a fellow comic geek? I want to evoke the feeling "Awww, gently caress you too pal :3:". The other, non joke things I'm planning on getting him are Ellis' Moon Knight and Godzilla: Half Century War.

I mean...Avengers 200, no? Can we finally unironically recommend it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phylodox posted:

I mean...Avengers 200, no? Can we finally unironically recommend it?

I don't know, rape isn't a great gag.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Onslaught Reborn

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum

I want to make him laugh, if I was angry and wanted to hurt him I'd just send him a hornet's nest instead.

Senor Candle posted:

Onslaught Reborn

Starsnostars posted:

Onslaught Reborn.

I've never read this, but the title alone sounds promising.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I want to make him laugh, if I was angry and wanted to hurt him I'd just send him a hornet's nest instead.

I've never read this, but the title alone sounds promising.

Loeb and Liefeld

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

WickedHate posted:

Does the friend have a favorite character/team? It could help tailor the "gently caress you" to their tastes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrProsek posted:

Does the friend have a favorite character/team? It could help tailor the "gently caress you" to their tastes.

Jubilee.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The X-men series were she becomes a Vampire or Uncanny X-Men 427

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Uncanny X-Men 427
ding

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Onslaught Reborn

EDIT: Goddamnit new page.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Youngblood-1-Joe-Casey/dp/1582408580/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440628115&sr=8-1&keywords=youngblood+hardcover

If your friend doesn't bludgeon you to death with it, it'll be a bonding experience. And if he does, well, at least it'll be less painful than reading it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

WickedHate posted:

The ultimate Frank Miller box set, yes yes yes.. Daredevil and Elektra blurays!!!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

The Crossing.

Ghost Boner
Jul 6, 2009
the soundtrack for the Daredevil movie

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghost Boner posted:

That was good. :colbert:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ghost Boner posted:

The Avclub had a good look at superhero movie soundtracks that came out after Daredevil, though I was disappointed they didn't look at the Blade soundtrack.

http://www.avclub.com/article/daredevil-kicked-wrongheaded-trend-comic-book-movi-222357

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

You know what superhero soundtrack was amazing?

Prince's Batman album.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Norns posted:

Prince's Batman album.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny, but I unironically agree with this. I don't care that I was 12 when it came out, still rocks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedi posted:

Not sure if you're trying to be funny, but I unironically agree with this. I don't care that I was 12 when it came out, still rocks.

Its fucken Prince and its awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Norns posted:

Prince's Batman album.

For a thoroughly mediocre film, the Batman Forever soundtrack was loving aces too, assuming you dig that mid-late 90's soft rock stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateQQc-AgEM

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This thread is a flat circle

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

I hear the Blade soundtrack is pretty cool!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jedi posted:

No I'm super serious. "The Future" track on the album is one of my favorite songs.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I like Taskmaster. I want to read stuff with him. Going on Comicvine, it looks like he was in a lot of Avengers: The Initiative, Agent X, and Secret Avengers Vol 3. Are any of them particularly good?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Hey, you're right, Top Ten IS really good.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I was wondering if anyone here subscribes to Heavy Metal? I was thinking of doing it after hearing Grant Morrison is going to be the new editor in chief.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What's good as far as Ghostbusters comics go?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Opopanax posted:

What's good as far as Ghostbusters comics go?

There was a pretty good mini-series around 200....4? 5? And I hear good things about the current IDW series.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

current IDW series.

Yeah, the Get Real thing is what got me looking

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

BigRed0427 posted:

I was wondering if anyone here subscribes to Heavy Metal? I was thinking of doing it after hearing Grant Morrison is going to be the new editor in chief.

I do, have for years, overall I like it a lot, it gives me a wide variety of comics every few months, just know a head of time that multi part comics tend to get an issue's worth of pages every other HM issue, meaning you will wait about 4 months if you really get hooked on an individual title.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm looking for a graphic novel that would be good as a book club companion piece to Love in the Time of Cholera. Something that would be similar thematically (love and aging) or of a similar location (Latin America/Caribbean) possibly with magical realism. Any combination of those, just a good graphic novel that reminds you of Marquez. Any thoughts?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If Brazil works as a setting: Daytripper?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Uthor posted:

If Brazil works as a setting: Daytripper?

That looks like a good fit for a few reasons. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah that was my immediate thought too. Joe the Barbarian is a stretch but might fit too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Asterios Polyp has a lot to do with love and aging, but also a lot to do with other, equally powerful themes. And while it doesn't have magical realism, it does have some amazing surrealist sequences.

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006

Mescal posted:

I'm looking for a graphic novel that would be good as a book club companion piece to Love in the Time of Cholera. Something that would be similar thematically (love and aging) or of a similar location (Latin America/Caribbean) possibly with magical realism. Any combination of those, just a good graphic novel that reminds you of Marquez. Any thoughts?

Gilberto Hernandez's parts of Love and Rockets (Palomar) would be a good pairing, if you haven't already read them.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I'm interested in a vampire comic series. I am a big fan of Anne Rice, Stoker. I have read good things about I, Vampire and American Vampire. Which should I start with? Any other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

thehacker0 posted:

I'm interested in a vampire comic series. I am a big fan of Anne Rice, Stoker. I have read good things about I, Vampire and American Vampire. Which should I start with? Any other suggestions?

American Vampire is great, and pretty easy to get into since it's just those 7 trades at the moment.