Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Except he wrote the first Dresden Files book while he was enrolled in a writing class and he wrote Furies pretty early on in his professional career. Most people assumed he would have grown by now. And I don't remember Furies being that bad. The series got worse as it progressed.

Codex Alera peaked by book 4 and Butcher had a lot of trouble wrapping up the plot lines and left a lot of development half-finished so you feel how rushed some parts of 5 & 6 are, but I wouldn't say that they got 'worse' as they progressed, just that it felt a little unsatisfying as far as endings go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Except he wrote the first Dresden Files book while he was enrolled in a writing class and he wrote Furies pretty early on in his professional career. Most people assumed he would have grown by now. And I don't remember Furies being that bad. The series got worse as it progressed.
I thought Furies of Calderon were the worst of the lot. Books 3 and 4 were the series' peak, but the last two books weren't so much bad as they were disappointing.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
There's supposed to be some more samples coming out this week; it stumbled at the gate, but i guess you can't judge an entire book from one short chapter.

Mars4523 posted:

I thought Furies of Calderon were the worst of the lot. Books 3 and 4 were the series' peak, but the last two books weren't so much bad as they were disappointing.

Like someone else said, it may be that Butcher can't divide his attention. He's been working on this one for three years, and the last Dresden files book was also a step down in terms of quality. I still enjoyed it, but it's the first one in years that I haven't reread.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Did you just not read Captain's Fury?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
If it helps the old fashioned way of speaking is because they are aristocracy and family insists on niceties.

On the other hand, there are talking cats soooo...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kea posted:

If it helps the old fashioned way of speaking is because they are aristocracy and family insists on niceties.

It's not that the dialogue is old-timey. (I can't use Regency or Georgian or Victorian because that would require the pastiche be good enough to actually identify what specific era he was aiming for.) It's just that writing that kind of dialogue convincingly takes stylistic skill and lots of reading of that kind of novel and Jim is only good at writing quippy Spiderman banter in his own voice. The result is really bad.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Megazver posted:

It's not that the dialogue is old-timey. (I can't use Regency or Georgian or Victorian because that would require the pastiche be good enough to actually identify what specific era he was aiming for.) It's just that writing that kind of dialogue convincingly takes stylistic skill and lots of reading of that kind of novel and Jim is only good at writing quippy Spiderman banter in his own voice. The result is really bad.

I wouldn't worry overmuch, I imagine the rest of the book will focus on the airship captain from the back of the book.

Edit: also talking cats

Kea fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 30, 2015

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

Did you just not read Captain's Fury?

I read the series quite a while back now. Also I realized I should have been more specific when i said "Furies" I was referring to the first book.

edit: I just remember everything past the major reveal regarding the protagonist being mostly downhill quality-wise.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Codex fell apart at the end because the Vord weren't half as interesting as all the politicking that made up the earlier books. It was also super rushed.

I expect roughly the same thing to happen when Butcher gets to the end of the Dresden Files. Jim has strengths as a writer, but paying off a long running series is really loving hard to do well. To the point that is almost never happens even.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

The Vord were really interesting when we didn't see any of them. Shortly after they start appearing, they became really lame. The Vord Queen also goes from "interesting, mysterious villain" to "what the hell?" as soon as she shows up in any capacity, too. Oh, you're Kerrigan and these are your Zerg.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

OneTwentySix posted:

The Vord were really interesting when we didn't see any of them. Shortly after they start appearing, they became really lame. The Vord Queen also goes from "interesting, mysterious villain" to "what the hell?" as soon as she shows up in any capacity, too. Oh, you're Kerrigan and these are your Zerg.

The Vord jumped the shark for me when you find them attacking the last wolf civilization. At that point I realized I was getting high-fantasy starship troopers instead of "Julius Caesar's Gaius Octavian's Adventures on the Metal as All Hell Wolf Continent"

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I haven't read Codex Alera beyond the first book, by how is high-fantasy starship troopers a bad thing? How is starship troopers in combination with anything a bad thing?

(or are we talking actual Heinlein starship troopers instead of Verhoeven starship troopers)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

It's not bad, the final two books are just a let down from the first four.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Chapter one of Aeronauts Windlass http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/cinder-spires/the-aeronauts-windlass-1/aeronauts-windlass-chapter-one

Haven't read it yet but I hope it's better than the prologue. I'm OK with a character named "Captain Grimm".

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

General Emergency posted:

Chapter one of Aeronauts Windlass http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/cinder-spires/the-aeronauts-windlass-1/aeronauts-windlass-chapter-one

Haven't read it yet but I hope it's better than the prologue. I'm OK with a character named "Captain Grimm".

I think captain Grimm is an OK character, the talking cats are the bit that I think some people won't like.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
It's a measure of how I respect Butcher's ability to entertain that I'll even read this. Steampunk is the worst. I was entertained by the Codex Alera, even though didn't think it was "good." We'll keep fingers crossed.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

torgeaux posted:

It's a measure of how I respect Butcher's ability to entertain that I'll even read this. Steampunk is the worst. I was entertained by the Codex Alera, even though didn't think it was "good." We'll keep fingers crossed.

Frankly it's more magic than steam punk, everything is powered by crystals, everyone lives in spires built millennia before by the makers, airships are powered by crystals and magic which most people can't touch but everyone can use the tools like the gauntlet from the prologue. No steam mentioned really.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I thought Grimm's Chapter 1 was even worse than the Prologue.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Goggles mentioned in the first sentence. It sure is steam punk! Not that "The Aeronaut's Windlass" isn't already parodical as a title.

"Quickly, set the ether engines to full power, extend the dynamo and charge the voltaics!" *grimaces at tightness of corset* "'Ware the phlogston throwers and chymical bombs! We must persevere on our mission. For the Queen!"

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I spotted one "wolfish grin."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mars4523 posted:

Same here. Only thing I'm finding funny is the running cover art joke about the protagonist looking nothing/very little like the person depicted there.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Mars4523 posted:

Chapter 2 is Grimm again, chapter three is a new character. On the plus side the goggles are give a reason for existing,

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Magres posted:

I haven't read Codex Alera beyond the first book, by how is high-fantasy starship troopers a bad thing? How is starship troopers in combination with anything a bad thing?

(or are we talking actual Heinlein starship troopers instead of Verhoeven starship troopers)

I didn't say it was a bad thing, it's just way less cool than the Metal as All Hell Wolf Continent would have been.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

OneTwentySix posted:

While I generally agree about the Vord Queen, the scene where she tried to play happy families using slaves and kidnapped victims and killer mantises was actually kind of viscerally affecting.

It reminded me of the scene towards the end of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, where Jack Shaftoe reflects that true hell is being perpetually subjected to bad theater at gun-point; there's something terrifyingly relatable about having your life in the hands of someone simultaneously murderous and incompetent.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Kea posted:

Frankly it's more magic than steam punk, everything is powered by crystals, everyone lives in spires built millennia before by the makers, airships are powered by crystals and magic which most people can't touch but everyone can use the tools like the gauntlet from the prologue. No steam mentioned really.

Sounds very Dungeons and Dragons. The Eberron universe.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Sounds very Dungeons and Dragons. The Eberron universe.

Kind of, the crystals are the most common thing, small ones giving off basic light, big ones powering ships and such, the surface is basically no mans s land due to dangerous creatures that roam there. Electricity is a known thing, certain crystals give it off but the power crystals themselves are very expensive since they have to be grown in vats over decades or centuries. Smaller crystals are far more common like the ones in the gauntlet things. Most everyday people use small light crystals maybe but mostly candles and such and many people spend their entire lives within the spires.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Huh, I think it sounds more like a mash up of Jack Aubrey , Treasure Planet and The Aristocats.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Kea posted:

Kind of, the crystals are the most common thing, small ones giving off basic light, big ones powering ships and such, the surface is basically no mans s land due to dangerous creatures that roam there. Electricity is a known thing, certain crystals give it off but the power crystals themselves are very expensive since they have to be grown in vats over decades or centuries. Smaller crystals are far more common like the ones in the gauntlet things. Most everyday people use small light crystals maybe but mostly candles and such and many people spend their entire lives within the spires.

Sounds kinda like the Stormlight novels with the gems that give off power and are used for everyday things.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Wait, "wollypog"?! Is that really a word you want to be referencing, Jim?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

What word are you thinking of?

I haven't read the samples so I don't have context, but my first association is a spoonerized pollywog, and a pollywog is just a tadpole.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Presumably he means this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golliwog

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Khizan posted:

What word are you thinking of?

I haven't read the samples so I don't have context, but my first association is a spoonerized pollywog, and a pollywog is just a tadpole.

Same.
What's the context that makes you think it's

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Illuyankas posted:

Wait, "wollypog"?! Is that really a word you want to be referencing, Jim?

It's straight out of Storm Front.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Not excited so far based on on the Prologue/Chapter 1. I cringed a little when I heard it was gonna be steampunk, but had high hopes. That said, Dresden files took a few books to really get going so there is hope.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cheese posted:

Not excited so far based on on the Prologue/Chapter 1. I cringed a little when I heard it was gonna be steampunk,

Yeah, I'm not exactly excited for this series either. The only really good steampunk authors I'm aware of generally are a lot darker than Butcher has been willing to get -- China Mieville's criminals sentenced to magical body modification, or Michael Swanwyck's human children seized by elves to work in an iron factory in Iron Dragon's Daughter. All too often it's just "fantasy, but with GOGGLES" and it just makes me despair. There's no point in going victorian-era if you spend all your time riding around in airships and hansom cabs and never set foot in an opium den or a workhouse.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

cheese posted:

Not excited so far based on on the Prologue/Chapter 1. I cringed a little when I heard it was gonna be steampunk, but had high hopes. That said, Dresden files took a few books to really get going so there is hope.

I know I've mentioned it a few times already but I'm fairly sure the fact there's talking cats and such might be a make or break moment for some people.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
They don't have to be Dickensian - The Clockwork Century is a fun "fantasy , but with goggles" series that turned out well.

http://theclockworkcentury.com/?page_id=2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boneshaker_%28novel%29

Wait , never mind, it's been a few years since I read them and I forgot how bleak the whole setting is.... Yeah, you're probably on to something there.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
For me, Steampunk begins and ends with the Difference Engine.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Burton and Swinburne series by Mark Hodder. Start to end 100% wacky pulpy adventures in a Victorian Albertian era that gets gradually more insane as the story progresses.
I'm not sure if I'd call it good but I found it an extremely enjoyable read, probably because it only starts as steampunk and ends, well, elsewhere.

Cherie Priest I like a lot but she's got this inexplicable obsession with zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kea posted:

I know I've mentioned it a few times already but I'm fairly sure the fact there's talking cats and such might be a make or break moment for some people.

The protagonist is literally a talking cat.

Furries will love that series, but I'm not buying it.