Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Essentially, yes. Whether it's a completely sacrificial mage you don't mind losing, or one that you've either armored up or has high inherent Prot, is a personal/national choice.

Alternatively, play MA Ulm and cheerfully march your troops forward under a hail of stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Being ethereal, having high prot, or plain having lots of HP are ways to protect against RoS.

However, the RNG is a cruel god and will gently caress you as hard as it can so always be prepared to get hosed. See: in my LP when I made an enemy PG retarded.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Being ethereal, having high prot, or plain having lots of HP are ways to protect against RoS.

However, the RNG is a cruel god and will gently caress you as hard as it can so always be prepared to get hosed. See: in my LP when I made an enemy PG retarded.

That was mine, wasn't it?

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
You guys are forgetting mistform, which anyone who can cast RoS can cast. This leaves them casting it on turn 2 but if thats not an issue you may as well save your mages

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Mis1 and 2 are mostly the same indie attacks. Mis2 does unlock knights in MA which sucks and I try to avoid it if I can.

Mis3 is big barbarian attacks as well as the little ones and generates far more indie annoyances. I never run Mis3.

The thing about Mis2 is that there are a bunch of +Misfortune events so its real easy to have provinces ending up Mis3, Mis1 is a bit safer in that regard.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Diabl0658 posted:

You guys are forgetting mistform, which anyone who can cast RoS can cast. This leaves them casting it on turn 2 but if thats not an issue you may as well save your mages

Eh, I just prefer to get it off turn 1 and armor the mages to be able to take it. That way you don't give you opponent time to set up their buffs, which they're liable to do after you catch them once or twice.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

I was once testing out the illustrious Earth Snake to see if I liked it (jury's out).

First combat, a militia unit punched through his Awe (1) and smacked him for 55 damage through over 30 prot.

Dominions RNG, a powerful thing.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 29, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

I was once testing out the illustrious Earth Snake to see if I liked it (jury's out).

First combat, a militia unit punched through his Awe (1) and smacked him for 55 damage through over 30 prot.

---
drat, the map I chose for my game is kind of lovely. Most of it is a mix of mountain provinces or waste provinces. Growth 3 wasted. Yay me.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Neruz posted:

The thing about Mis2 is that there are a bunch of +Misfortune events so its real easy to have provinces ending up Mis3, Mis1 is a bit safer in that regard.

I took Mis3 in dank memes as Man and I didn't get any gem loss events for the duration of the game (70 turns)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

The Dominions RNG is full of poo poo. Every time I tested my Gemmod, I got really awkward behaviour with everything depending on random chance. I don't know what was worse, the 50% event firing everywhere for a couple turns, then not at all for exactly the same amount of turns, or the 90%-chance (dialed up for test-reasons) hero not turning up until year 3.

I know random is random, but gently caress, sometimes you really think Dominions got a PNG instead of a RNG. Weird patterns everywhere.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 29, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Enjoy posted:

I took Mis3 in dank memes as Man and I didn't get any gem loss events for the duration of the game (70 turns)

Congratulations, you got lucky.

Libluini posted:

I know random is random, but gently caress, sometimes you really think Dominions got a PNG instead of a RNG. Weird patterns everywhere.

The Dominions RNG is actually terrible; a visual output gives a very solid plaid pattern. Though I think I remember something about it getting updated to not be quite so terrible.

That said, so much of the system is obfuscated that it doesn't really matter if the RNG is poo poo or not because the end results are always going to seem totally inexplicable due to how many layers removed you are from the actual calculations.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 29, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Neruz posted:

Congratulations, you got lucky.

Was gonna check but I recently reinstalled Windows :( I did take order 1 though

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

I got gem loss events several times now, every time with a nation with neutral luck scales. I'm like bad luck personified. Misfortune scales are forever closed off for me. You should have seen the test games where I tried misfortune-builds. It ended badly. As in, turn 2 attack of knight armies and barbarian hordes on your cap bad. :shepface:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The utter unpredictability of misfortune is one of the reasons why its so dangerous; it may randomly totally screw you, it might only mildly annoy you or it might not do anything at all and there is absolutely no way to tell.

Everyone is fine with misfortune until it puts thirty troglodytes on their cap on turn 5, that's when you realize that risking your game just up and ending with nothing you can do about it is actually really not worth it even if the chance is very low.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

I got gem loss events several times now, every time with a nation with neutral luck scales. I'm like bad luck personified. Misfortune scales are forever closed off for me. You should have seen the test games where I tried misfortune-builds. It ended badly. As in, turn 2 attack of knight armies and barbarian hordes on your cap bad. :shepface:

Oh wait, I'm an idiot, I took Drain 3, my luck scale was neutral

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Drain isn't too bad; you will occasionally lose gems but so long as you can cope with the reduced research somehow it's not too hard to keep your gems mostly safe. The extra MR and spellcasting fatigue can be either good or bad depending.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

Oh wait, I'm an idiot, I took Drain 3, my luck scale was neutral
I believe (maybe wrongly) that you only lose gems with Drain and misfortune. Even then, again, you keep them on your mages and you're going to be fine (this is handy if you have an angry Astral-having neighbour with that spell which makes your Misfortune worse, Baleful Star maybe? Something like that).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Drain isn't too bad; you will occasionally lose gems but so long as you can cope with the reduced research somehow it's not too hard to keep your gems mostly safe. The extra MR and spellcasting fatigue can be either good or bad depending.

I'd guess it's better for nations depending more on good units/summons and worse for nations depending on good battle magic.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

But srsly don't take awe on earth snake

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Neruz posted:

The utter unpredictability of misfortune is one of the reasons why its so dangerous; it may randomly totally screw you, it might only mildly annoy you or it might not do anything at all and there is absolutely no way to tell.

Everyone is fine with misfortune until it puts thirty troglodytes on their cap on turn 5, that's when you realize that risking your game just up and ending with nothing you can do about it is actually really not worth it even if the chance is very low.

See the issue I take with this is that you're still going to get "gently caress you poo poo happens" events regardless, because that's part of how dominions works. Misfortune just adds a few more and makes them marginally more likely.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

See the issue I take with this is that you're still going to get "gently caress you poo poo happens" events regardless, because that's part of how dominions works. Misfortune just adds a few more and makes them marginally more likely.

See the thing is these events are almost 100% rooted in indy attacks and that is incredibly fixable

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ChickenWing posted:

Yep, that's why I said it's so unpredictable.

If you feel that noticeably increasing your chances of the RNG loving you over is worth 40 - 120 design points then by all means take Misfortune, but it will bite you in the rear end eventually unless you are kitfoxing every province. (In which case the odds that it will bite you in the rear end go down but never actually vanish entirely)

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dear BurntCornMuffin: Upload your loving water bong god and let's get this game started.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

greetings from because gently caress you thats why.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm sure that guy will live healthily for many years to come and his limbs won't randomly drop off in the winter.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I sure hope so because that guy is all of my recruitable mages.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I suggest you invest in growth scales. Maybe a little Gift of Health on the side.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Scales and pretenders are randomized too. :getin:

I'm sure loving how literally all but my archer troop are encumbrance 10, size 3. :smithicide:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh dear.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
My nation is composed of 12 different types of minotaurs and 0 different types of shields

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So Mercenaries are a bunch of racists that change prices depending on who is hiring them. How does the outbid mechanic works here? Do I have to match the "normal" price before extra money starts counting? Does paying extra because you're a nation of eldritch monstrosities beyond the ken of mortal men counts against other players bidding?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

So Mercenaries are a bunch of racists that change prices depending on who is hiring them. How does the outbid mechanic works here? Do I have to match the "normal" price before extra money starts counting? Does paying extra because you're a nation of eldritch monstrosities beyond the ken of mortal men counts against other players bidding?

As far as I've been able to tell, it's just 1:1 gold over the starting price for each bidding nation.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
How many Telkhines are there for the new nation with their fancy conjuration spell? I got one Telkhine as a hero and am now summoning the others but dont want to spend 69 gems for no reason when I hae them all

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The mod inspector shows that there are a couple of Telkhine heros, a pretender chassis, and the generic ones you get from summoning. I think there is no limit, so enjoy your Telkhines, friend.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Aaah I see, thanks a lot!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

enjoy your smelly fart gas dog-headed giants

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Gotta get that D

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So how do you fix the rusted gear debuff? I had a large and rather important army get it to the man and it's kind of annoying to have their weapons being broken all the time.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
IIRC the mechanic is that their weapons auto-repair when the units are in a province with resources that aren't being used.

So uh hope you didn't take sloth 3 i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TheresNoThyme posted:

IIRC the mechanic is that their weapons auto-repair when the units are in a province with resources that aren't being used.

So uh hope you didn't take sloth 3 i guess?

Does that just get rid of broken weapons or rusted crap too? I've seen broken weapon go away but not rust.

• Locked thread