Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's broiled egg whites, asparagus, and squash. With cinnamon.

eh i'm still on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rndmnmbr posted:

I just stumbled across all four of the new Lays chip flavors while on break, and decided to taste test them instead of working. Photos and commentary later, when I'm not phone posting, but in brief: greektown gyro = beef ramen noodle.

My favorite thing about this chips, which I haven't tried, is that they seem to taste completely different to everyone

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aesop Poprock posted:

My favorite thing about this chips, which I haven't tried, is that they seem to taste completely different to everyone

The reuben ones taste remarkably reuben-like to everyone I know that has tried them. The others, though, yeah. I can see someone getting "beef ramen noodle" out of the gyro ones, though to me, they just tasted like weak gyro seasoning. Not in a bad way, though.

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in
They taste like tzatziki and beef to me

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
So I did something stupid. I tried the Lay's biscuit and gravy chips.

In a moment of self-loathing I went to Subway for lunch. While grade Z lunch meat was tenderly being slapped on a wheat bun, I noticed the restaurant was featuring all of the new flavors. Already committing myself to an afternoon of regret and indigestion I grabbed a bag of the biscuits and gravy flavor.

Biscuits and gravy. When done right, it is the fatty, spicy mother of all hangover cures. Just bake off a nice fluffy biscuit, then fry off some sausage and make a cream sauce in the drippings with a heavy hand of black pepper then top with a dash of Tabasco. It seemed strange to try and re-create the taste of something that relies on dense, doughy, creamy textures on something that is inherently crisp and thin.

The chips themselves were standard Lay's thin chips. They were coated in a white powder with ominous black flecks. The taste was weird. Sage was the flavoring that they relied on to get across the sausage and it was the predominant taste with each chip. They used milk and buttermilk powder in the "dust" so each bite left a thick, slightly sour, coating sensation in my mouth. There was really no pepper or heat in the chips, which they definitely needed. If you told me they were Thanksgiving stuffing chips I would have believed it, as the sage was so predominant.

Overall they weren't horrible, and moderately approximated what they were aiming for. I didn't have any lingering taste in my mouth after the meal. The chips do need a little pepper or heat or something to cut the salty/fat content.

4/10, would eat drunk.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

nowhinezone posted:

4/10, would eat drunk.

Hell, that describes 90% of the poo poo I've seen in this thread

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Nailed it

ReverendGodless
Jan 9, 2013

KakerMix posted:

It looks so determined.

Maybe because it's still alive.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

cash crab posted:

OH MY GOD. I love that this required multiple trips to complete that... thing. I mean, would, but still.

You scare me sometimes cash crab.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Okay, so on my lunch break, I found a display with all of the new Lays flavors. So I grabbed one of each, plus a friend and her twelve year old son, and wasted an hour taste testing that I should have been working.

Oh yeah.

First up: New York Reuben:

To me, it tasted beefy, but lacking in the proper nitrate taste of corned beef. Definite notes of ketchup and pickle relish, with an unpleasant sourness that must have been an attempt at sauerkraut. Yeasty finish. My friend stated that the yeasty rye-ness they were going for was unpleasant and overwhelming, and that the chip was overall far too heavily flavored. Her son said it tasted like an overdone sandwich.

On a 1-10 scale: me, 4, her, 2, her son, 3.

Next: Greektown Gyro:

It straight up tastes of beef ramen noodles, and not even the good ones, but the cheap off-brands you buy at the Dollar Store. Both she and her son agreed, with her also noting an aftertaste of sour cream. None of us cared for it at all.

Me, 1, her, 1, her son, 2.

Next: Southern Biscuits and Gravy:

She was the most excited for this one, having heard rave reviews. It certainly smells just like biscuits and gravy. She said that there was a strong sage taste, like cheap breakfast sausage, and a slight creamy gravy note, and that it wasn't bad but not as good as she had hoped. I noted the creamy sweetness of properly made sawmill gravy, muted tones of sage but no meatiness, and all of it basically overwhelmed by the taste of potato. Her son gave no comment, but immediately devoured the rest of the bag.

Me, 3, her, 6, her son an obvious 10.

Last: West Coast Truffle Fries:

Right off the bat, it smelled like sour cream and onion. The flavors of SC&O were muted to me, but there was a definite earthy, mushroomy flavor that I can only assume was truffle (having never tasted a truffle myself). She noted the earthiness as well, but said that the SC&O flavor was strong as well. She also said that she was leery of it before, but having tasted it she could see herself eating an entire bag. Her son stated that it was just a chip to him.

Me, 5, her, 9, her son, 3

So, overall, she liked the truffle fries, her son loved the biscuits and gravy, and I was overall sadly disappointed with all of them.

Now, on another note, my favorite part of this taste test:

Full Throttle Blue Demon. The energy drink from Coca-Cola set up as the rival to Mt. Dew Amp. I've drank these for years, ever since they first came out. Of a special note, it's missing that energy drink aftertaste, what I call "Flintstones Vitamins Taste", that other energy drinks have. Since it doesn't include guarana in it's formulation, I'm assuming that the Flintstones Vitamins taste is from that. That aftertaste turns me off of any other energy drink.

It's very sweet, with an almost floral nose, and a decided cactus taste. Refreshing. If they would cut the caffeine, bottle it, and sell it at the price point of other sodas, it would easily be my absolute favorite soda. Highly recommended.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

rndmnmbr posted:

Full Throttle Blue Demon. The energy drink from Coca-Cola set up as the rival to Mt. Dew Amp. I've drank these for years, ever since they first came out.

rip rndmnmbr

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I only drink Monster Unleaded because I like the taste of cough syrup while also having an energy crisis.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

rndmnmbr posted:

Chip trip report

I never thought I would see a review of potato chips written like a fancy beer menu, but here we are. Well done!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

rndmnmbr posted:

Full Throttle Blue Demon. The energy drink from Coca-Cola set up as the rival to Mt. Dew Amp. I've drank these for years, ever since they first came out. Of a special note, it's missing that energy drink aftertaste, what I call "Flintstones Vitamins Taste", that other energy drinks have. Since it doesn't include guarana in it's formulation, I'm assuming that the Flintstones Vitamins taste is from that. That aftertaste turns me off of any other energy drink.

It's very sweet, with an almost floral nose, and a decided cactus taste. Refreshing. If they would cut the caffeine, bottle it, and sell it at the price point of other sodas, it would easily be my absolute favorite soda. Highly recommended.

One of the gas station chains around here used to have regular Full Throttle on the soda fountain, and whenever i needed to go to work early I'd get a 44 ounce for a dollar. It's probably taken a year off my life, but it was cheaper then buying two cans.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The last time I drank an energy drink was to in hopes of getting hopped up for a graveyard shift and all it did was make me nauseous for 24 hours and also actually made me sleepier. Thanks 5 Hour Energy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Did you drink it 6 hours beforehand?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dabir posted:

Did you drink it 6 hours beforehand?

on the off chance this is some legit thing and you're not meming me here, no I swigged it right before the shift. I pretty much immediately got a headache and nausea from the flavor even after washing it down with water and dry heaved through the entire shift.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I miss Jolt Cola :corsair:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

No. Pizza. Rules.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

ErIog posted:

No. Pizza. Rules.

would

taco pizza is legit

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Rickycat posted:

would

taco pizza is legit

I think most would, but I just like how non-standard pizzas wig the pizza Mussolini's out.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

ErIog posted:

No. Pizza. Rules.

That's basically a big tostada though :???:

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

ErIog posted:

No. Pizza. Rules.

Take off those Lego tires and we have a deal.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

pandaK posted:

The last time I drank an energy drink was to in hopes of getting hopped up for a graveyard shift and all it did was make me nauseous for 24 hours and also actually made me sleepier. Thanks 5 Hour Energy.

1. 5-hour energy is bad and doesn't work.

2. How much caffeine do you take on average? Your body's probably not used to all those stims at once.

I had a similar reaction to you when I first drank and energy drink, now I can drink 16 oz of Red Bull and then go to sleep afterwards. :shepface:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chard posted:

I miss Jolt Cola :corsair:

It isn't just you, BTW.

Neo_Crimson posted:

2. How much caffeine do you take on average? Your body's probably not used to all those stims at once.

I had a similar reaction to you when I first drank and energy drink, now I can drink 16 oz of Red Bull and then go to sleep afterwards. :shepface:

Also, I have the caffeine tolerance of a large rock.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

rndmnmbr posted:

CHIP TRIP

:allears: I love AFP effort posts so, so much.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The mug cake made me think of this:

(protein powder gingerbread mug cake with I think tofu)

and that was next to this:

(peach cobbler with a cinnamon/textured vegetable protein crumble atop, in blended tofu "cream" sweetened with stevia)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

No. Pizza. Rules.

Taco pizzas are relatively standard at a lot of pizza places now so they're not exactly exotic, but anyone who puts black olives on anything related to tacos or nachos is a barbarian

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

They work perfectly for me. :colbert:

pandaK posted:

on the off chance this is some legit thing and you're not meming me here, no I swigged it right before the shift. I pretty much immediately got a headache and nausea from the flavor even after washing it down with water and dry heaved through the entire shift.

Sorry they totally hosed you up instead of working though. :smith:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Taco pizzas are relatively standard at a lot of pizza places now so they're not exactly exotic, but anyone who puts black olives on anything is a barbarian

FTFY

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

My go-to night shift solution was to slam a Full Throttle as soon as I clocked in, a Five Hour Energy chased with another Full Throttle at 2 am or so, and one more Full Throttle chasing four ibuprofen at 5 am. This plus two liters or so of Dr. Pepper throughout the night.

e. And if we were out of Full Throttle, then Monsters as fast as I could chug them, doing my best not to taste them.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

They're really just a shitton of niacin in liquid form (with a cloying fruity taste to mask that delicious niacin flavor) designed to induce something called NIACIN FLUSH :black101:

Some people get a boost from it, but most people just feel uncomfortable and warm for a while after drinking one.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

5-hour energy flavor review:

Grape: the saddest, worst grape. Like eating a fake grape from a plastic floral decoration.

Berry: Worse than grape. Far, far worse. Like someone once described a strawberry to a cannibal.

Pink Lemonaide: Lemony, but with a pink urinal puck aftertaste.

Lemon-Lime: Lemon Pledge. Tolerable, if only just.

Sour Apple: neither sour nor apple, but you can believe the flavor did indeed come from some sort of tree

Fruit Punch: Red Kool-Aid, thinned with bleach.

Orange: Not bad. Actual orange, not artificial orange.

Pomegranate: :smithicide:

All accompanied by the burning chemical flavor of aspartame, in doses that came full-circle back from cancer-giving, becoming chemotherapy from the wrong direction.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

They're really just a shitton of niacin in liquid form (with a cloying fruity taste to mask that delicious niacin flavor) designed to induce something called NIACIN FLUSH :black101:

Some people get a boost from it, but most people just feel uncomfortable and warm for a while after drinking one.

No idea what is in them, but they are a godsend for me and the only thing that keeps me awake enough to work but even enough to make good decisions, unlike the unfortunate night I ordered and drank 10 shots of espresso in a single go.

And amusingly, my GF gets super super red and flushed from drinking one, which lead to an amazing fight one night when I was convinced she was drunk when she was supposed to be driving us home.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

rndmnmbr posted:

5-hour energy flavor review:

Grape: the saddest, worst grape. Like eating a fake grape from a plastic floral decoration.

Berry: Worse than grape. Far, far worse. Like someone once described a strawberry to a cannibal.

Pink Lemonaide: Lemony, but with a pink urinal puck aftertaste.

Lemon-Lime: Lemon Pledge. Tolerable, if only just.

Sour Apple: neither sour nor apple, but you can believe the flavor did indeed come from some sort of tree

Fruit Punch: Red Kool-Aid, thinned with bleach.

Orange: Not bad. Actual orange, not artificial orange.

Pomegranate: :smithicide:

All accompanied by the burning chemical flavor of aspartame, in doses that came full-circle back from cancer-giving, becoming chemotherapy from the wrong direction.

These are my go-to wilderness backpacking "morning coffees" and I regret nothing other than they make my tremors worse for a bit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just finished my trip through all four of those chip flavors with today's lunch.

I'm impressed that everyone else is getting flavors like sage and ramen out of these things. To me the biscuits & gravy one just tasted like sour cream & onion. The Reuben one just... I don't even know what the gently caress. I couldn't come up with any adjectives.

The biggest failure of all these flavors is that I couldn't remember a drat thing about how they tasted, even five minutes after the fact.

I'm no snack food chauvinist, but I know it's possible to make chips more ambitiously than this. I've had Tim's Cascade Chips, dammit. And I wanted to like these. They sure did make the bags look like there was tasty stuff within. But it was all just so bland and underwhelming. They made me not want to eat chips anymore.

God dammit Lay's :negative:

Oh well, back to not getting chips with my Subways I guess

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Okay, so my last post about no pizza rules was bullshit, admittedly.

Here's some real content:

modedit: Use smaller images so you don't break the gently caress out of the tables!

Somebody has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Aug 29, 2015

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

ErIog posted:

Here's some real content:

Are those Cicadas?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Bina posted:

Are those Cicadas?

I have it on good authority they are some variety of silkworm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

ErIog posted:

I have it on good authority they are some variety of silkworm.

Silkworms tend to have little nubby legs. Those look like long spindly legs.

I'd totes eat Cicadas. They are plentiful when they hatch and breed, and can only imagine people have resorted to also eating them when they emerge.

Every 13-17 years, I believe.

Bina has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Aug 29, 2015

• Locked thread