Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Have some aircraft carrier OSHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84eVxXXdy-E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ozz81 posted:

Same here - makes me happy for those plugs that sit flush and can be rotated so the cord doesn't block other outlets. I had an extension cord that sat flush with the outlet but didn't twist so the wire dangled right in front of the outlet below it, effectively blocking use. Wanna strangle the jerk that made that design.

Three words:

Oversized power blocks.

:argh:

ekuNNN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5h3CMzdrw

A truck carrying liquid aluminium overturned on the highway.

Wait, so why was a truck transporting molten aluminium in the first bloody place?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Three words:

Oversized power blocks.

Wait, so why was a truck transporting molten aluminium in the first bloody place?

Probably because it takes a ton of energy to heat up aluminum, why let it harden if you need to move it to another plant, especially one that may have the gear to forge the parts but not to melt aluminum on a large enough scale.

e. Going back to last page, it's good to keep in mind that superheated steam holds a fuckton of energy for it's mass, probably way more than you get by burning propane. Steam explosions are loving nuts.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

chitoryu12 posted:

Dry ice bomb, probably. You put some water in a bottle, put in some dry ice, and close the lid tight. Gaseous CO2 builds up from the reaction until the bottle bursts.

They're not just a toy, either. Sufficiently large dry ice bombs can cause fatal injuries and even that small bottle probably hosed up the guy's hand (unless he was really lucky and all the pressure escaped out the bottom or something). Probably sprayed him and the cameraman with shrapnel, too.

I homebrew every now and then, and since I'm lazy I use .5 or 1.5l PET bottles. When they get overcarbonated enough to explode they basically cover the entire room in beer, and yeast eating sugar is way slower than dry ice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Have a dry ice bomb made from three 2 liter bottles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOF4IRj3CTo

Or 5 gallons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygGyOO5zXq4

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have so many questions.

That guy just ripping apart the what looked like an ice cream truck was loving hilarious.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drone_Fragger posted:

Not overturned, "spilled its hot load everywhere". this is a phrase that the newscaster used.

The way she slows down and enunciates when she gets to it is amazing. If this thread had produced nothing else of worth, this single video would make up for it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Jiro posted:

That guy just ripping apart the what looked like an ice cream truck was loving hilarious.

That part looked pretty staged to me.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Jiro posted:

it's a fake viral video

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What the gently caress is going on at about 2:40? Is the engine melting through the plane???

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Crosspostin' this from crappy construction thread

its a pressure release pipe with a cap soldered on

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jiro posted:

It's some dudes screwing around at a scrapyard.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

It's some dudes screwing around at a scrapyard.

And the small inner child (I keep in my basement) still finds joy in seeing some giant evil claw thing rip apart a truck like tissue paper.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

What the gently caress is going on at about 2:40? Is the engine melting through the plane???

I would guess oil fire. Since you turn aircraft mags 'off' by shorting them out, I should think that the fire's burned through the magneto ground and he can't shut it down. With a dry sump and 32 gallons of oil, that particular party could go for quite some time.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Gorilla Salad posted:

Three words:

Oversized power blocks.

Probably the greatest invention ever was putting the power brick inline instead of right on the part where it plugs into the wall.

I posted about this kind of recently in this thread but I very nearly electrocuted myself when I was a teenager because of a wall wart Nintendo power supply being plugged into my house's upside down outlets. The rabbit ears on the TV fell over and shorted out the exposed prongs on the wall wart. There was a big flash and a pop but fortunately, I didn't grab onto the antennae like I was trying to do out of pure reaction.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have so many questions.

The garbageman clip is supposedly a prank.

http://theferalirishman.blogspot.com/2012/03/angry-trashman-story-behind-gif-i.html

I figured it had to be. Messing with someone's mail box is a good way to catch fed charges.

take my life... please!
May 31, 2006

We make everything you need and you need everything we make.

chitoryu12 posted:

There's definitely more than one roller coaster-induced neck breaking or decapitation out there (the latter usually from being hit by the car rather than a foot). Inverted coasters are obviously the riskiest to run under, and the lack of self-preservation is incredible.

Speaking of inverted coasters, Dragon Challenge (formerly the Dueling Dragons) at Islands of Adventure ended its famous dueling aspect a few years ago. The ride got its name and reputation for being an excellent inverted coaster that also involved two coasters (Fire and Ice dragons) which would launch simultaneously and snake around each other, including at one point coming head on and pulling up into a loop immediately before impact. It immediately made the ride stand out among its peers and it was very highly regarded.

Unfortunately, there were two incidents in 2011 regarding foreign objects flying in someone's eye. To my knowledge these are the only two confirmed incidents (though Universal is notorious among park employees like I once was for keeping all but the most serious incidents out of the media), but one man lost an eye to the damage. Whatever the cause, Universal immediately pulled the plug on the dueling aspect. Now the trains launch apart, still keeping a decently high capacity but lacking what made them so fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh0QPDAhF2M

I used to work at this park, and at the time I shared an office with the staff for this ride. The most cherished fable was that one rider's prosthetic leg flew off on one of the loops, and supposedly cleared the scenery fence. A High School is literally across the street behind the Lost Continent area and it says that the prosthetic leg was found in that area. People have lost several phones, shoes, glasses and other things that the attendants should have taken from people and several people have been hit by shoes flying off the coaster on the opposite track when the coasters "duel" on the inverted loops. I have a lot of great OSHA stories about Universal Studios.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
First it was elevators and escalators, now the ground in China has started eating people.

http://i.imgur.com/XlqCCvL.webm

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
"Captain! The giant sinkhole swallowed five people!"

"What're we gonna do, captain?"

"Easy, wait two hours, then it'll be hungry again. You know how it is with Chinese food."

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sure, enough:

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
This gold processing method does not seem to be entirely safe.
https://youtu.be/SElqnHXJ9IA?t=254

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cyberbug posted:

Somehow still safer than the average college organic lab.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

"Just rub your hands in the acid and mercury mix"

:stare:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

cyberbug posted:

Me thinkin, "oh, it's probably just the amalgam process, not too bad if you're recapturing the mercury properaaaaaaa :stare: "

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
A time when having your skin peel off later is "okay"

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

cyberbug posted:

That whole episode (and show) is non-stop :gonk:... later when they're climbing down into the drains to get buckets of raw sewage to mine for gold is pretty fantastically disgusting. Or the second episode where they show some ship breakers... yeah five or six guys die every week but such is life

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

GotLag posted:

Sure, enough:

I've played this game before. All the pitfalls are obviously marked.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Professor of Cats posted:

I've played this game before. All the pitfalls are obviously marked.

They have a pronounced outline like the bricks you can bomb in Legend of Zelda on NES.

I can hear the chime as they fall through:

http://youtu.be/9d3qCPcMgH4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ReverendFaux posted:

I used to work at this park, and at the time I shared an office with the staff for this ride. The most cherished fable was that one rider's prosthetic leg flew off on one of the loops, and supposedly cleared the scenery fence. A High School is literally across the street behind the Lost Continent area and it says that the prosthetic leg was found in that area. People have lost several phones, shoes, glasses and other things that the attendants should have taken from people and several people have been hit by shoes flying off the coaster on the opposite track when the coasters "duel" on the inverted loops. I have a lot of great OSHA stories about Universal Studios.

As a former HHN scareactor who spent way too much time walking underneath the Rockit and Hogwarts Express while it was under construction, I suggest posting these because that company is loving loaded with OSHA stories.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Delta Echo posted:

They have a pronounced outline like the bricks you can bomb in Legend of Zelda on NES.

I can hear the chime as they fall through:

http://youtu.be/9d3qCPcMgH4

Please someone make a sound webm of this.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Professor of Cats posted:

Please someone make a sound webm of this.

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/G9CLYym.gif&v=9d3qCPcMgH4

Close enough.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

5er posted:

Kind of neat how it was the can of water that got a more immediate and violent reaction than the propane tank.

The propane is under pressure but the mass of the lava (molten rock is some heavy poo poo) would keep it relatively compressed so no sudden release as the tank is dissolving and releasing a stream of propane bubbles that float to the surface and then ignite once they reach air. The water on the other hand is changing phase from liquid to a gas as it absorbs heat from the lava. It doesn't need air to do this so its happening constantly under the surface and steam is trying to expand to a volume orders of magnitude larger than it was in its liquid form, generating massive amounts of pressure in the process, which is what is heaving the lava all over the place.

Basically the propane tank is just adding carbonation, while the tank of water is acting like a slow motion underwater explosion.

Centripetal Horse posted:

Hah! That was my first though on watching the volcano's reaction to the water jug. After a few single-cube experiments, I once chucked an entire fountain drink cup of ice into a restaurant fat fryer. For fifteen or thirty seconds, there was nothing but a few pops and burbles. Then, the fryer lost its loving mind. There was a massive bubbling up from the fryer, and grease was flying everywhere. Everyone had to flee the cooking area, and the spectacle went on for a long time. I've never run it past anyone who might know what they were talking about, but I've always suspected the delay had something to do with the ice solidifying the fat around it as a protective layer.

:science: Leidenfrost effect :science:
Evaporating steam formed an insulating layer around the ice slowing its change to water and then slowed the heating of the water until its temperature raised enough for it to start changing to steam en mass rather than just on the surface. Water is a great energy sink as well so this would slow the whole process down and give you your 10-15 seconds to calm before all hell broke loose due to the same situation as in the volcano.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Haha thanks for this!

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Me thinkin, "oh, it's probably just the amalgam process, not too bad if you're recapturing the mercury properaaaaaaa :stare: "

Pretty much. "We're just boiling off mercury with a hand cranked forge. You know, Monday."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Pretty much. "We're just boiling off mercury with a hand cranked forge. You know, Monday."

They'll be dead before they hit their 30s.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

This thread has made me wonder just how much brass I've inhaled cutting thousands of keys over the past few years.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GotLag posted:

Sure, enough:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

and this is why you should pay your taxes

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

buttcoinbrony posted:

and this is why you should pay your taxes

Or you know, not live in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

cyberbug posted:

In relation of touching things with bare hands that you shouldn't, many years ago, when I was in college, one of my classmates came running into the spray booth and started washing her bare hands in the (paint) gun cleaner (Recirculated Methyl Ethyl Ketone). My friend freaked out and told her she needed to stop. She said, "I've got EasyCast on my hands". He agreed that the gun cleaner was the best option as EasyCast is polyester resin and way worse for you.

https://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/MSDS%20Easy%20Cast%20Hardener.pdf

She used no mask and no gloves. It's also a thermo-cure resin/hardener and will cause surface burns as well as chemical burns.

• Locked thread