Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Black Lagoon is honestly really good. The first little arc is probably the least good part because it takes so long for Rock to finally become Rock.

Later arcs include 'fighting with Illinois nazis in a lost nazi submarine.' It's basically 'what if Tarantino directed an anime?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The first arc is so bad in comparison to the rest (and fairly different in tone) that I'd totally forgotten that it existed. Please watch more.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only bad thing about the later episodes is Rock starts to go against the action grain of things and developers some sort of morality and it becomes annoying. 80's action people didn't have morality it just so happens they were pitted against human garbage. But it's a fantastic show. I mean, the leader of the triads is literally Chow Yun-Fat's character from A Better Tomorrow and he's the king of cool.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think boat v helicopter and the h bomb thing in the first ep was the dumbest part of black lagoon.

Black Lagoon works because it's ridiculous action for mostly very low stakes.

I remember someone on here, years ago and before I'd seen it, saying the boat part was the most exciting thing about the show and the rest was a let down after that. it is probably worth finding out who this crazy person is

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
My SO and I just finished watching Psycho Pass.

I liked it, had some flaws but it was pretty good overall. Mostly it has just whet my apatite for detective shows. The only other one I know of is Detective conan, but I'm not much of a fan.

what are some suggestions for good detective shows?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tabletops posted:

I liked it, had some flaws but it was pretty good overall. Mostly it has just whet my apatite for detective shows. The only other one I know of is Detective conan, but I'm not much of a fan.

Monster is a mystery show and is vaguely detective like, but longer form. If you are looking for long mystery that's my vote, or are youlooking for something more episodic and procedural?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If you don't mind that the mysteries are entirely unimportant teen stuff, Hyouka is really good and very pretty.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

DamnGlitch posted:

Monster is a mystery show and is vaguely detective like, but longer form. If you are looking for long mystery that's my vote, or are youlooking for something more episodic and procedural?

I was hoping for like actual procedural's I guess. I think psycho pass is the first anime i've heard of/seen that had that format (though just early on, and kind of broadly for the meta-plot). I might watch monster, I've been meaning to forever anyway.

however if there are any other shows that fit that description, hit me!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The first season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is a fun loose procedural. Well, any episode dedicated to the through-arc but even then the stand-alone cases are drat good too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tabletops posted:

I was hoping for like actual procedural's I guess. I think psycho pass is the first anime i've heard of/seen that had that format (though just early on, and kind of broadly for the meta-plot). I might watch monster, I've been meaning to forever anyway.

Death Note kinda hits some of that vibe. Seconding Ghost in the Shell and Monster.

There's another one that I just cant recall right now...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shibatora is a procedural bit there is no anime. your options are live action or manga. you can also try you're under arrest but thats more police jokes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you don't mind robots Patlabor is about as close to a police procedural as anime gets.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tabletops posted:

If you can stand the fact it's really, really old, Sabu and Ichi's Detective Tales is a good police anime set in feudal japan.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
thanks for all the suggestions guys, gonna check these out.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Tabletops posted:

Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace is an going show that goes in a bit of a more surrealist direction. Also stars 'dude that looks like a lady' protagonist.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tabletops posted:

Normally when people cross-recommend Psycho-Pass and Ghost in the Shell I roll my eyes (they couldn't be more different thematically and the tone isn't really the same either) but if procedural structure is what you want, it could be just right.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Normally when people cross-recommend Psycho-Pass and Ghost in the Shell I roll my eyes (they couldn't be more different thematically and the tone isn't really the same either) but if procedural structure is what you want, it could be just right.

Both of these are good shows with wide appeal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Both of these are good shows with wide appeal.

As far as I know Psycho-Pass didn't get much attention outside of Japan, and was only modestly successful there.

Ghost in the Shell is really bland and its attitude towards authority isn't nearly as much fun, but people seem to love it anyways and it's not like "anime sci-fi police procedural" is a thriving genre.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
It should be

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
There's always Patlabor.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Bad Seafood posted:

There's always Patlabor.

Seconding this. Just avoid the third movie,it sucks. Be warned,there's plenty of goofy comedy,so if you like your main characters to be "edgy" tryhards *COUGH*Build Fighters Try *COUGH* it's not for you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Patlabor is fantastic. You can't go wrong with either the first two movies, the anime series or the OVA series. All of them are top-notch.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Their different tones come from different times. SAC came out just after 9/11, and people were tentatively okay with the idea of a police agency having the authority to violate privacy and civil liberties at will. PP came out many years later, and is much more cynical and critical of the post-9/11 security state.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jimbot posted:

Patlabor is fantastic. You can't go wrong with either the first two movies, the anime series or the OVA series. All of them are top-notch.

Are the movies separate from the series? They're not just cut and pastes of scenes from the show?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Razzled posted:

Are the movies separate from the series? They're not just cut and pastes of scenes from the show?

They're not compilations, and are some of the best the series has to offer.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Patlabor movies are stand-alone stories that can be watched with or without extensive knowledge of the rest of the franchise. They're also part of the OVA continuity, rather than the TV show, but that comes down to details.

The first Patlabor movie is great. The second Patlabor movie is well-liked by a lot of people, but I am not one of them.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've seen the OVAs and the first two movies, and it's all great. The TV anime is on my list.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this is really rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKfjkha6r9I

is the rest of this anime as rad as this song is

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The second Patlabor movie has a lot of really great stuff in it, but I think I enjoyed the first one more.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjMkAzshIqw

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think this is one of my favorite individual segments of any anime, but eventually Oshii became nothing but this kind of thing, which is kind of a bummer.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ninjewtsu posted:

this is really rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKfjkha6r9I

is the rest of this anime as rad as this song is

How do you feel about Lord of the Flies?

That is my favorite song though

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I wonder if oshii knows he broke my heart when he had noa say she didn't want to be known as the labor otaku girl forever

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Oh he knows.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GorfZaplen posted:

I think this is one of my favorite individual segments of any anime, but eventually Oshii became nothing but this kind of thing, which is kind of a bummer.

To be fair he did kind of start out as nothing but that sort of thing too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Allarion posted:

How do you feel about Lord of the Flies?

That is my favorite song though

i've never actually read lord of the flies but it sounds like the kind of thing i'd be into if done well

i take it infinite rhyvius is like that then?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I wonder if oshii knows he broke my heart when he had noa say she didn't want to be known as the labor otaku girl forever

Just pretend it didn't happen, like I am with that live action trainwreck Patlabor show.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ninjewtsu posted:

i've never actually read lord of the flies but it sounds like the kind of thing i'd be into if done well

i take it infinite rhyvius is like that then?

Essentially. It aims for the same themes anyways with some sci-fi on the side.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I'm not really a big anime watcher, but I just finished kyousogiga after seeing it in the GIF thread and I really enjoyed it. Any recommendations on more serious or mature story-telling series like this? Stuff like school boy unlocks special powers + many upskirt shots immediately turns me off of a series, and I find myself having to watch like 20 pilots before finding something I can stick with.

Other things I've enjoyed over the years:
FMA: Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Berserk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Baccano! is exceptional and I think you'll like it a lot. Watch the dub.

You might like Black Lagoon, too, though I'm not sure I'd call it 'serious.' (Watch the dub.)

For a really good and mature story surrounded by sparkles, Princess Tutu is actually amazing, but rather outside the range of stuff you've seen. Also a good dub, but the sub's great too.

• Locked thread