Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deltasquid posted:

The new patch made the HRE quite a lot more volatile in my game. Austria lost the title of emperor to Saxony, who completely failed in all of their duties, and the HRE turned into a thunderdome.

Honorary mentions go to Friesland expanding and contracting about four times until I put them out of their misery, Oldenburg conquering Denmark (sadly, a bunch of rebels claimed independence less than a decade later) Sami in Scandinavia, Finland, and Savoy conquering all of Saxony (the emperor) and forcing them to release all of their lands, thereby resurrecting Burgundy and some other HRE members. And this is at the turn of the 16th century.

Oh, and Venice lost Venice to Ferrara quite early on as well.
Is that Portugal colonizing South Africa but not the Cape in 1500? :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Out of curiosity, how does one get harbor fees? I never see anyone with more than 0 in the ledger.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Out of curiosity, how does one get harbor fees? I never see anyone with more than 0 in the ledger.

Could be wrong, but I believe you get a fee if you give/are given fleet basing rights? Increases with the amount of ports, if I'm not mistaken.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Bold Robot posted:

You pay harbor fees to nations that allow you fleet basing rights. I've never personally had the AI request it of me, though. Seems like getting those fees might be rare.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bold Robot posted:

That's when another country pays you for naval access. I've never seen the AI ask for it.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The AI will never ask for it since it cheats on sea, and colonization based gameplay. If you play multiplayer you do see it more

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

PittTheElder posted:

Is that Portugal colonizing South Africa but not the Cape in 1500? :eyepop:

Yes.

On that note, what's the best strategy for me as a united lowlands to colonise? I just hit tech 10 and picked up exploration ideas, though I need about 500 more diplo points to get explorers and conquistadors (not that much of a problem, I have a 4/6/5 ruler). Try to get a chain of fleet basing rights and gobble up a small Indian country and jump from there?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Deltasquid posted:

Yes.

On that note, what's the best strategy for me as a united lowlands to colonise? I just hit tech 10 and picked up exploration ideas, though I need about 500 more diplo points to get explorers and conquistadors (not that much of a problem, I have a 4/6/5 ruler). Try to get a chain of fleet basing rights and gobble up a small Indian country and jump from there?

In my Netherlands game I waited for a chance to beat up on Portugal and took a few of their colonies to jumpstart things. YMMV depending on what their alliances look like.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deltasquid posted:

Yes.

Fleet basing rights don't extend your coring range, you need outposts. You can go Netherlands-Guyana-West Africa-South Africa-Indian Ocean Island-Asia at large. Depends on what all is still uncolonised, but there's usually loads open going East.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Elendil004 posted:

Shiiit, 1.13 is going to obliterate my saves isn't it. I guess I'll start another Russia run.

It broke that nice borders mod. poo poo's UNPLAYABLE NOW *table*

^^^^^

How do I get that fancy world map graphic?

Thanqol posted:

How I did it in my recent Spain game was to immediately build a fort. You've got almost a perfect wall down the middle of Iberia between Aragon and Portugal so one extra fort finishes it and stops them reinforcing each other. Then fabricate on and DOW Portugal; you can annex them in two wars and the fighting's easy if you're taking both those nations one at a time.

Then just make all your rulers generals and pray for the Iberian Wedding I guess.

Tried building a fort. Portugal and Aragon were able to walk right by them with no problem.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 28, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Tried building a fort. Portugal and Aragon were able to walk right by them with no problem.
Doesn't military access mess with how forts work, effectively neutralizing them in some cases?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Does anyone know the three letter nation tag for the Roman Empire, the Knights Templar, the Hashashin and the Jomsvikings?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: nevermind I'm dumb

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 28, 2015

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Doesn't military access mess with how forts work, effectively neutralizing them in some cases?

Maybe. I probably gave Navarra military access to speed up vassalization.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Has anyone tried a Sapmi game to any success?

I have been starting as Denmark and then releasing Sweden, taking Lappland, waiting for rebels to give Sapmi a core on Lappland, then pumping all my monarch points into it.

At best i got 2 more provinces from Norway and westernized and was doing pretty good. My problem is that no one ever wants to ally my at all, so sooner or later Sweden eats me, since they always declare the same month their core is supposed to expire.

I guess staying with shamanism is pretty much impossible?

Maybe actually start as Sweden and get independence and then release?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sistergodiva posted:

Has anyone tried a Sapmi game to any success?

I have been starting as Denmark and then releasing Sweden, taking Lappland, waiting for rebels to give Sapmi a core on Lappland, then pumping all my monarch points into it.

At best i got 2 more provinces from Norway and westernized and was doing pretty good. My problem is that no one ever wants to ally my at all, so sooner or later Sweden eats me, since they always declare the same month their core is supposed to expire.

I guess staying with shamanism is pretty much impossible?

Maybe actually start as Sweden and get independence and then release?
Trying to play as the Sami/Sapmi whatever sounds both hilarious and awful. You should play as Sweden, get into the HRE, add all provinces to the HRE, then release as an HRE state for full bullshit mode.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Bort Bortles posted:

Trying to play as the Sami/Sapmi whatever sounds both hilarious and awful. You should play as Sweden, get into the HRE, add all provinces to the HRE, then release as an HRE state for full bullshit mode.

I kinda like their ideas, I wanted to make a cool northern trade nation, but the annoying thing is that it takes quite a lot of time to even get to the point where you release and play as Sami.

If I hosed up Denmark too much before I released Sweden just ate most of Scandinavia. If I didn't no one would help me get independence against Denmark.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You could create a custom Sami horde nation instead. :v:

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Poil posted:

You could create a custom Sami horde nation instead. :v:

I guess I wanted a legit nation. But I guess Sami don't really have any special events and stuff anyways.

Any nation that you could make really tall?

I was thinking about maybe making a really tradey Gotland or something. Really wish I could just edit real nations already in the game.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ghetto Prince posted:

Does anyone know the three letter nation tag for the Roman Empire, the Knights Templar, the Hashashin and the Jomsvikings?

Go to console, enter debug_info, hover over a province belong to each of those countries.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bort Bortles posted:

Can Sweden still get into the HRE? I think I remember it being made harder to get into the HRE.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

LLSix posted:

Can Sweden still get into the HRE? I think I remember it being made harder to get into the HRE.

I had to be adjacent to a HRE province and have 131 relation with the Emperor.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You just have to stay under 100 development, but that can be done easily enough if you release Finland as a vassal or march. Just make sure to get Blekige so that you "border" a hre province, across a single sea province.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

GSD posted:

You just have to stay under 100 development, but that can be done easily enough if you release Finland as a vassal or march. Just make sure to get Blekige so that you "border" a hre province, across a single sea province.

Sistergodiva posted:

I had to be adjacent to a HRE province and have 131 relation with the Emperor.

Yeah it's actually easier since Common Sense, previously you had to duck under 25 basetax and now it's 100 development as the size limit to join. Finland also has fewer cores, previously you had to sell off a big chunk of land to them and that's no longer necessary.

Take Blekinge in your independence war with Denmark, improve relations with Austria during the war. A +1 Dip Rep adviser is very helpful for buttering up Austria faster. Release Finland, join HRE. Take Finland's cores off Novgorod, then re-integrate them.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ghetto Prince posted:

Unless you're playing in an imported game I don't think those tags exist. They are created by the importer.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
How many galleys, with the inland sea bonus, equal a galleon, roughly?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Node posted:

How many galleys, with the inland sea bonus, equal a galleon, roughly?

A Galleon (dip 15) has 30 hull and 60 guns, whereas a Galleass (dip 14) has 12 hull and 18 guns. The inland sea bonus gives the galleys 100% more strength, whatever that means.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

A Galleon (dip 15) has 30 hull and 60 guns, whereas a Galleass (dip 14) has 12 hull and 18 guns. The inland sea bonus gives the galleys 100% more strength, whatever that means.

I'm trying to figure out how many galleys (Chebecks, in this tech) I need to take down a fleet of 17/22/25/27. I'm already 30 over my force limit, but I feel like it's going to take more than 50 galleys to do it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Node posted:

I'm trying to figure out how many galleys (Chebecks, in this tech) I need to take down a fleet of 17/22/25/27. I'm already 30 over my force limit, but I feel like it's going to take more than 50 galleys to do it.

I'd not feel safe with less than 125 galleys and an equal or better naval commander. That's a fight I would just straight up avoid if I could.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
6 galleys to a heavy is the general rule I think. 10:1 ish if it's not in an inland sea.

and yeah that battle is probably not worth pursuing. If you're already 30 over your force limit (so I'm assuming your force limit is like 80+) can't you just make a bunch of heavies instead?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah naval combat tends to be super one-sided, and 17 heavies is kind of a shitload of heavies, inland sea or not, nevermind the 74 other ships there.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Once you get into fleets with 20+ tallships and ~50-70 filler in the fleet they can start to demolish galley heavy fleets in single volleys. Unless you have a lot of good naval ideas or a better commander you just aren't going to overcome a significant tallship deficit with galleys.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a misconception that galleys are good at all stages of the game. It's not true. Think of them as the horde units of the sea. Yeah, they start out cheap and effective, but they rapidly become wastes of naval force limit when you start being able to easily afford a big fleet of heavies, lights, and cogs instead.

Also, think of how effective a general can be in land battles. Admirals are easily 3x more effective than that. Always use an admiral when naval battles will determine the outcome of your war. You can afford the lost mil points for a few months if you don't have two leader slots somehow.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Being Tunis that's taken both Naval and Maritime, galleys can absolutely be viable in the late game. Iberia's fleets literally melt away after my galleys catch up to them. :getin:

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Galleys are always useful because they cost literally nothing to purchase and maintain, so you can feasibly build 3x your forcelimits in galleys and still not have to pay anything substantial in maintenance (300 Galleys with a FL of 100 costs like 6 ducats per month). Also, if you have Maritime ideas, you get +2 naval leader maneuver, which will allow you to use way more than you should in combat, especially if you rolled an admiral who would have been good before the addition. Galleys don't stay king of the seas for very long, but they are definitely one of, if not the most cost-effective thing in the entire game.

e:

Odobenidae posted:

Being Tunis that's taken both Naval and Maritime, galleys can absolutely be viable in the late game. Iberia's fleets literally melt away after my galleys catch up to them. :getin:

Also this. Countries with natural Galley Combat Ability can really bring the pain, especially with Naval ideas. Venice gets +50% Galley Combat Ability as it's ambitions, and combined with Naval you can just deal +75% damage on top of your +100% inland bonus with an outrageous number of ships that cost nothing to buy or maintain.

Lori fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 29, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lori posted:

Galleys are always useful because they cost literally nothing to purchase and maintain

No they don't

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Lori posted:

Galleys are always useful because they cost literally nothing to purchase and maintain, so you can feasibly build 3x your forcelimits in galleys and still not have to pay anything substantial in maintenance (300 Galleys with a FL of 100 costs like 6 ducats per month). Also, if you have Maritime ideas, you get +2 naval leader maneuver, which will allow you to use way more than you should in combat, especially if you rolled an admiral who would have been good before the addition. Galleys don't stay king of the seas for very long, but they are definitely one of, if not the most cost-effective thing in the entire game.

e:

Also this. Countries with natural Galley Combat Ability can really bring the pain, especially with Naval ideas. Venice gets +50% Galley Combat Ability as it's ambitions, and combined with Naval you can just deal +75% damage on top of your +100% inland bonus with an outrageous number of ships that cost nothing to buy or maintain.

Dont forget though, that being over your forcelimits increases the maintenance on all your ships, so if you do go 300/100 if you have even just a handful of heavies they will end up costing 3-6x more than the already significant upkeep.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

TTBF posted:

I'd not feel safe with less than 125 galleys and an equal or better naval commander. That's a fight I would just straight up avoid if I could.

Koramei posted:

6 galleys to a heavy is the general rule I think. 10:1 ish if it's not in an inland sea.

and yeah that battle is probably not worth pursuing. If you're already 30 over your force limit (so I'm assuming your force limit is like 80+) can't you just make a bunch of heavies instead?

They split their lights off that fleet. 70 galleys did it just fine, I think I lost 11 in the battle. It was a necessary battle too. The Bosphorus Cockblock Fleet did a fine job. I'm Wallachia, so my force limit was something like 30. I had to dismiss most of the galleys afterwords because I was hemorrhaging ducats once I unmothballed them.

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008
Currently in an "African Power" game with Catholic Kongo. Things are going pretty well and have most of the coast of the cape colonized. Portugal conquered several Mali provinces and cored them without adding to a trading company so I have an opportunity to Westernize in Africa. Portugal recently broke my alliance and now has a "domineering" attitude so am a little worried they may attack soon although relations are still 100+. I am thinking about requesting a procterate to Westernize. Does the AI tend to use the "seize territory" feature when in a procterate? Worried they will take several key provinces and might not be worth the risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
ddrjake is streaming a fairly massive subscriber multiplayer game right now, they just started.

https://www.twitch.tv/ddrjake

• Locked thread