Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

GWBBQ posted:

When new Motorola phones are released on Thursday, off-contract prices of the current generation Moto X should drop, right?

The X pure is being released on Thursday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The September 3rd date was tweeted but later deleted, so no one really knows for sure.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

September 3rd might be the date preorders start, and then later in the month it'll be released but who knows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Generally Moto launches the same day the stuff comes up for sale. I mean, it could be different this time, but generally they are shipping as soon as orders go live.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The Nexus 6 has a screen resolution of 1440 x 2560 pixels. My largest monitor at home is 1680x1050, and the largest monitor I see at work is 1920x1080. I'm getting a Nexus 6 tomorrow.

My new phone will have a larger screen resolution (and consequently a larger DPI) than literally any other electronic device I've ever interacted with in my life, and will probably remain that way for a few more years.

:wtc:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Buy a 4k monitor, problem solved!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Samsung pay will not work on a reader like a gas station pump that you have to insert the card into if anyone was wondering

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Drythe posted:

Samsung pay will not work on a reader like a gas station pump that you have to insert the card into if anyone was wondering

Just be sure you don't try it backwards or some of the functions of your car will quit working.

Wait, did I get that right?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Biggest human being Ever posted:

SD cards are getting an interesting new feature in Android M, they'll will be able to be "merged" with internal storage:

https://plus.google.com/+SalmanAhmad2299/posts/awmpZWmDubB

Samsung was just future proofing their phones it turns out.

So if you merge your SD card with internal storage, what happens when your SD card fails? If they make one big filesystem out of the combination and the card goes bad, then do you lose all your poo poo, or just half of it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I got an S6 Edge to fool around with at work, and holy gently caress the camera is good, I don't even want to use my Nexus 6 camera anymore, loving hell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

So if you merge your SD card with internal storage, what happens when your SD card fails? If they make one big filesystem out of the combination and the card goes bad, then do you lose all your poo poo, or just half of it?
It's probably all gone. There's no M preview for any device with an SD card though so who knows.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Are there any Tempered Glass Screen Protectors for the Nexus 6 that don't have adhesion or halo issues? Or should I go with a traditional plastic one?

I've tried both the Mxx and Yootech protectors and have had sub-par experiences with both.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

As Endless Mike says, we don't know but you'll likely lose everything.

It's really a worst of all worlds scenario as you can't remove it or interact with it in any meaningful way but it's slower and less reliable than just having on-device NAND. Anything that SD cards would be useful for like filling up with large media for consumption later is no longer any easier than it would be if it wasn't present and instead the cost is passed along to end user to buy and maintain after the fact.

SD cards are a solution in search of a problem and OEMs put them in because if there's anything Android OEMs are good at, it's creating problems.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No they did it because they can save $0.20 by putting in a SD card slot in lieu of doubling storage and when you're making negative dollars on each phone sold that's a godsend. They'll make it up in volume.

There's gonna be a lot of really unhappy people who stick their SD cards full of pirated ROMs and 10-bit animes in their phones and are told they can't use them until they're reformatted to work with the new file system.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 29, 2015

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

bull3964 posted:

Just be sure you don't try it backwards or some of the functions of your car will quit working.

Wait, did I get that right?

Well you'll be able to get your phone back but your transmission won't work until you jam your phone into it, again, backwards

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

kitten smoothie posted:

My hunch is that the software will try to intelligently shuffle some files to the SD card (music, video files, etc.) and keep others on the storage rather than just treating it like a dumb RAID 0 setup. Still, it creates plenty of headaches and unless they have some genius solution none of us have foreseen I wish they'd just stick with the status quo. The other end of the equation is that if your phone breaks anything stored on the SD card is probably fine, but anything on the internal memory is probably toast.

edit: SD card chat :hellyeah:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Keep in mind that Comic Sans was the font chosen by the Highs team at CERN when they released their preliminary "we found it" announcement: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/4/3136652/cern-scientists-comic-sans-higgs-boson

They find the subatomic particle that might be behind things having mass and they make the PowerPoint in comic sans.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe they'll finally be able to explain why Comic Sans has such mass appeal

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

baka kaba posted:

:pusheen:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My hunch is that the software will try to intelligently shuffle some files to the SD card (music, video files, etc.) and keep others on the storage rather than just treating it like a dumb RAID 0 setup. Still, it creates plenty of headaches and unless they have some genius solution none of us have foreseen I wish they'd just stick with the status quo. The other end of the equation is that if your phone breaks anything stored on the SD card is probably fine, but anything on the internal memory is probably toast.

Or just don't have an SD card slot and revoke Google Play licensing - and enjoin Google API app/shim access - from anything shipping with less than 16 gigs (In an ideal world I'd say 64 but I'm vindictive).

I'm starting to lean toward full-fat Chrome OS as a phone/tablet OS, at least if Google can be bothered. I think Android might be screwed long-term.

baka kaba posted:

Okay, you get clever points.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

baka kaba posted:

and I was like :drat:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

baka kaba posted:

KABLAMMO

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My hunch is that the software will try to intelligently shuffle some files to the SD card (music, video files, etc.) and keep others on the storage rather than just treating it like a dumb RAID 0 setup.

:lol: There is no way this will happen. What will happen is you'll insert it and it will tell you that it will format it to marry it to the filesystem and if you remove it everything on the internal storage will get deleted too.

Didn't they say though that you still have the option of not marrying it to the filesystem and using the current Lollipop implementation? If so at least that preserves the use case for people who actually use it. The filesystem marriage option is simply going to be to supplement poorphones.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there any way to adjust the volume step of headphones? Currently it feels like it's something like 9-12dB while 1.5-3dB would be better. When I'm trying to listen to music it's either very quiet or, with next step, too loving loud. This is with a rooted GT-N7000 but basically I have had the same problem with all digitally controlled amps, unless it's a real home theater amp with 0.5dB steps.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

:lol: There is no way this will happen. What will happen is you'll insert it and it will tell you that it will format it to marry it to the filesystem and if you remove it everything on the internal storage will get deleted too.

Didn't they say though that you still have the option of not marrying it to the filesystem and using the current Lollipop implementation? If so at least that preserves the use case for people who actually use it. The filesystem marriage option is simply going to be to supplement poorphones.

Have you ever realized you're a giant rear end in a top hat with zero technical prowess?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Have you ever realized you're a giant rear end in a top hat with zero technical prowess?

Yes but I'm not sure what that has to do with the Marshmallow implementation of SD cards. Are you saying that SD cards become useful if I adopt a better attitude?

Ihmemies posted:

Is there any way to adjust the volume step of headphones? Currently it feels like it's something like 9-12dB while 1.5-3dB would be better. When I'm trying to listen to music it's either very quiet or, with next step, too loving loud. This is with a rooted GT-N7000 but basically I have had the same problem with all digitally controlled amps, unless it's a real home theater amp with 0.5dB steps.

I'm not going to promise you anything but maybe. Have you looked around to see if there's an Xposed module that can handle this? It was definitely a thing that used to happen back in the custom ROM days but I can't imagine you're looking to go that far for this.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got an S6 Edge to fool around with at work, and holy gently caress the camera is good, I don't even want to use my Nexus 6 camera anymore, loving hell.

Yeah the N6 camera has always been the achilles heel that has me still paying attention to new phones. The screen doesn't look great next to new Samsungs either.

But the stock android bug has me, and now my wife wants the next Nexus 5 after three years with an S4.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I'm not going to promise you anything but maybe. Have you looked around to see if there's an Xposed module that can handle this? It was definitely a thing that used to happen back in the custom ROM days but I can't imagine you're looking to go that far for this.

I'm actually running CM12.1 based Nightowl ROM because Samsung's Android updates stopped at 4.1.2. There has been so many security issues afterwards so I had to upgrade to a safer version. 5.1.1 runs "pretty well" despite my phone having only 1GB of ram. I need to look at it if there's some app or perhaps a config file I could edit to provide finer-grained volume adjustment.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

[ur=http://www.amazon.de/Moto-Style-32GB-Smartphone-schwarz/dp/B014699X30/]The Moto X Style is up for preorder on Amazon Germany.[/url]

It's 499 euros, but I believe it includes VAT.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
So my home and literally all my possessions were destroyed Thursday in a flood. I'm using a burner moto e (which is actually a pretty decent phone) and I'm curious how to remove my "home" address in Google (since all it does now is remind me of the thousands of dollars worth of electronics destroyed by an act of God not covered by insurance..)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Captain Yossarian posted:

So my home and literally all my possessions were destroyed Thursday in a flood. I'm using a burner moto e (which is actually a pretty decent phone) and I'm curious how to remove my "home" address in Google (since all it does now is remind me of the thousands of dollars worth of electronics destroyed by an act of God not covered by insurance..)

I'm sorry to hear that. :smith: You can edit your addresses from within either Maps or somewhere else (I think it used to be G+ but it might be Location Settings now). It's definitely in Maps though.

I hope things improve for you. :unsmith:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Are there rumors for any upcoming events Google has scheduled to announce the new Nexus phones? I'm considering either an X Pure or N5 (maybe N6), but I don't want to wait months. Maybe I'll buy an X when it comes out, and sell it if I like either of the Nexus phones better.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Super Dude posted:

Are there rumors for any upcoming events Google has scheduled to announce the new Nexus phones? I'm considering either an X Pure or N5 (maybe N6), but I don't want to wait months. Maybe I'll buy an X when it comes out, and sell it if I like either of the Nexus phones better.

There are rumors that the new N5 is going to come out at the end of September, which would work well with Google's "Q3" release of 6.0.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Refurb Moto X 2014 on sale. Only catch is it's unlocked Verizon version with the word "Verizon" engraved on the device.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-XT...=item51d3895079

Bought one after breaking my Nexus 5 a few weeks ago.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

starry skies above posted:

Refurb Moto X 2014 on sale. Only catch is it's unlocked Verizon version with the word "Verizon" engraved on the device.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-XT...=item51d3895079

Bought one after breaking my Nexus 5 a few weeks ago.

Will those get LTE on ATT?

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm not to sure, I'm satisfied with 3G.

nidrod
Jun 20, 2013
So when I try to change the preferred network setting on my new moto g to LTE it automatically reverts to 3g again and I can't figure out why. I'm on at&t but I thought it was compatible. Any thoughts?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

LastInLine posted:

I'm sorry to hear that. :smith: You can edit your addresses from within either Maps or somewhere else (I think it used to be G+ but it might be Location Settings now). It's definitely in Maps though.

I hope things improve for you. :unsmith:

Awesome thanks! Yeah luckily my girlfriend's parents are letting me live in their basement for now :) thank goodness for family

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

Will those get LTE on ATT?

I get LTE on T-Mobile with that model :shobon: I know that doesn't help a ton. From willmyphonework.net, looks like at least two LTE bands are compatible? Plus HSPA+, which is also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's about loving time someone said it. Christ.