Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

surrender posted:

Logic X 10.2 is out today and it includes an apparently reskinned Alchemy

I'm running Logic 9 and regular, legacy Alchemy... And I really want this upgrade. :ohdear:

My main reason for not upgrading, aside from money, is that I'm running LP9 on 10.8, which is the last mac OS that's officially supported by Presonus when it comes to my 2626.

However, I am running Mavericks on my other partition (for Steam), and that's recognizing and working with my interface, no problem. I'm just really REALLY hesitant about trying out all three (Mavericks, interface, Logic X).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm running Logic 9 and regular, legacy Alchemy... And I really want this upgrade. :ohdear:

My main reason for not upgrading, aside from money, is that I'm running LP9 on 10.8, which is the last mac OS that's officially supported by Presonus when it comes to my 2626.

However, I am running Mavericks on my other partition (for Steam), and that's recognizing and working with my interface, no problem. I'm just really REALLY hesitant about trying out all three (Mavericks, interface, Logic X).

For what it's worth, Mavericks is one of the more stable audio OSs they've put out. Just don't touch Yosemite with a 10-foot pole.

I've also heard people having better luck with Unity in Mavericks, if that interests you (which I suspect it might!)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Polivoks for all my comrades.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

net work error posted:

Polivoks for all my comrades.

My dreams of a return to synth based Italiofacsim died along with the crowdfunded Elka Synthex reissue, so sure.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

surrender posted:

I was wondering when it was gonna show up. Garageband next?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

For what it's worth, Mavericks is one of the more stable audio OSs they've put out. Just don't touch Yosemite with a 10-foot pole.

I've also heard people having better luck with Unity in Mavericks, if that interests you (which I suspect it might!)

Hmm, drat. Does Logic X work with Mavericks?

Also, by Unity, are you referring to the game dev tool, or something else?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hmm, drat. Does Logic X work with Mavericks?

Also, by Unity, are you referring to the game dev tool, or something else?

I would assume it works with Mavericks, I think X predates it slightly, or was originally released on Mavericks.

And yes, I mean Unity 3D. It seems like it's more stable on Mavericks than it was on Mountain Lion.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

surrender posted:

As an Alchemy 1.5 owner on my carefully assembled PC based rig they can get hosed.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It's cool, probably like sounddiver it'll get rolled into logic so that all pc users and non-thousandaires can get hosed. Then Apple will drop support for it and everyone will get hosed.
Eventually apple's shares will tank and and the cycle of loving will be complete.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
The chance of prosperity and of virtue is not now mine; whether willing or not, a man is always liable for Fortune's service. At this hour without delay touch the synths! Because through luck she lays low the brave, all join with me in lamentation!

rip every editor/librarian worth using ever, forever
there is no peace in death, only midiquest

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
So niche is our stupid hobby that even obvious stuff, like quality universal librarians or editors, need to be preserved through hording and piracy because an entire generation, or an eternity, might pass before there exists a comparable replacement. I wonder if even the model train nerds are still running stuff on, like, 286s or c64s because no one's make a model train control program quite as good since 1986?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

0dB posted:

As an Alchemy 1.5 owner on my carefully assembled PC based rig they can get hosed.

Basically this. Forever.

Glad I remembered to back up my files from camel audio up on Google Drive - feel a little sorry for those that didnt.

gently caress camel audio.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Basically this. Forever.

Glad I remembered to back up my files from camel audio up on Google Drive - feel a little sorry for those that didnt.

gently caress camel audio.

"It's nothing personal, Tom. It's strictly business."

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Been eyeing the op-1 for a while since messing around with POs and then trying it out. It's a bit on the old side (for portable electronics at least), though given the used prices floating around, it seems to be holding value decently. Are there any murmurings of a new version that would make it best to hold off for a bit. Is losing the warranty and not knowing the history worth the ~$200 savings from used?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

What is a good free sound editor if I just want to re-pitch adventure kid samples D2+2 to C4? Or if I want to make single cycle samples?

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 26, 2015

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is the MIDI Solutions Quadra thru the only decent MIDI-thru box currently available? Quick searching seems to show that it's the only one most places sell.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

net work error posted:

Is the MIDI Solutions Quadra thru the only decent MIDI-thru box currently available? Quick searching seems to show that it's the only one most places sell.

Kenton makes a good powered one too. We pretty exclusively use Kenton stuff at work, except when a powered box isn't an option.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

What is a good free sound editor if I just want to re-pitch adventure kid samples D2+2 to C4? Or if I want to make single cycle samples?

Audacity?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sizone posted:

So niche is our stupid hobby that even obvious stuff, like quality universal librarians or editors, need to be preserved through hording and piracy

When you can find old MIDI software it often still runs on Windows. I've got editors for a bunch of 90's gear - even Sound Diver runs OK on Windows 7. Don't figure I'll ever risk going to 10.

It's not too different to games. Actually, GOG should sell music software.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Sizone posted:

It's cool, probably like sounddiver it'll get rolled into logic

I thought they just let it wither and die?

If anything this is just a good argument in favor of open source editors, not made by some cottage industry sharewaring everything for thirty bucks with an ideas guy and a Visual Delphi overworked programmer who's a few months away from the final heart attack.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Laserjet 4P posted:

I thought they just let it wither and die?

If anything this is just a good argument in favor of open source editors, not made by some cottage industry sharewaring everything for thirty bucks with an ideas guy and a Visual Delphi overworked programmer who's a few months away from the final heart attack.

Except synth is not anime or anime related, subsequently there isn't a large enough volunteer pool to get that poo poo built and maintained.
The GoG idea would be a good one if all the good synth software people didn't invariably sell their companies to apple.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

But what if synths WERE anime?! (excluding VOCALOID stuff) An exciting world it would be I tell you where I could call a synth my waifu and nobody would bat an eye lash and would instead be in total agreement as they drew fan art of their Virus C.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

The protagonist rises to his feet and stares his foe in the eyes, waiting to be dealt the final blow. The love interest yells his name from across the stadium, and throws him just what he needs: the Ethnic 2 card for his M1.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Been rediscovering my x0xbox and MPC this week. I love playing the x0x with the pads, the way it does decay, accent, and ties in real time is a lot of fun to mess with and you can get some really wild (good) results messing with the tempo and some distortion.

Controversial opinion- x0xbox is a better instrument than the 303 for everything other than purist acid cause it does midi right out of the box.

Though I just saw this and I am drooooling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgouFA0w3ns

Would midi processing boxes let me do similar things? Looking at the portamento and LFO stuff mostly. I have a feeling control voltage gets implemented in a way that works better for that stuff... but I'm hoping I'm wrong!

net work error posted:

But what if synths WERE anime?! (excluding VOCALOID stuff) An exciting world it would be I tell you where I could call a synth my waifu and nobody would bat an eye lash and would instead be in total agreement as they drew fan art of their Virus C.

This is me and my Evolver already so I'm basically just waiting for the world to accept us

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

net work error posted:

Also agree, though in addition to the Virus C, I would have to add my Waldorf Blofeld and Microwave, and Roland JD-990.

So many synth waifus... I'm the fuckin' synth mormon.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

JamesKPolk posted:

Controversial opinion- x0xbox is a better instrument than the 303 for everything other than purist acid cause it does midi right out of the box.

Volca bass is a better instrument than 303 for everything, acid is retarded.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

W424 posted:

Bad bad synth opinions here. You're mostly right on the first half but a.) the (pick one) minimoog, virus, prophet 5, DX7, evolver, etc etc is better for everything than the volca bass is so like who cares and b.) almost everything but it's not better for 'making 303 sounds.' which is the whole point of 303 clones anyway. But you don't like acid anyway so this is like trying to convince a blind man the sky isn't green.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

net work error posted:

But what if synths WERE anime?!
2D synths >>> 3D synths

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

W424 posted:

also lol at anyone who hasn't been synthing in bed, way into the wee hours of the night, passed out from tiredness or overconsumption and risen the next morn to find that they have shared their bed with a synth.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Buchla dudes love their delicious flat controllers :japan:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

JamesKPolk posted:

A-hem:

http://www.abstraktinstruments.com/product/avalon/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
After years of VSTs, and weeks of mulling over my first piece of hardware, I've got a Korg EMX-1 on the way to me :ohdear: I'm unreasonably excited but it's a lot of money for a poor guy like me!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

:aaaaa:

This is what I was hoping the TB-3 was gonna be. Having a real hard time fighting the GAS, thanks yoozer.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
BTW the System-100 Plug Out is cool.

Thanks for listening.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Anyone here have a 4ms Rotating Clock Divider and can tell me what's wrong with mine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb04PQAmz5I

(or what silly/stupid thing I am doing incorrectly?)

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

The Cleaner posted:

Anyone here have a 4ms Rotating Clock Divider and can tell me what's wrong with mine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb04PQAmz5I

(or what silly/stupid thing I am doing incorrectly?)

Didja already check the jumpers on the back? Maybe something is out of whack with those.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

COOL CORN posted:

After years of VSTs, and weeks of mulling over my first piece of hardware, I've got a Korg EMX-1 on the way to me :ohdear: I'm unreasonably excited but it's a lot of money for a poor guy like me!

I'm selling mine but with the other stuff I have (mainly the OP1) I can't justify keeping it, as much as I love it. It sounds a bit harsh now, with what modern machines are capable of, but it is fun as heck to play around with and is built like a tank, and acts as a nice midi controller or great standalone drum machine when needed.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Mr. Sharps posted:

Didja already check the jumpers on the back? Maybe something is out of whack with those.

Hmmm... yes actually there are NO jumpers on it. I guess the guy I bought it from forgot them. Argh. Still not sure why it's outputting such randomness... guess I'll have to try and purchass jumper shunts for it.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

The Cleaner posted:

Hmmm... yes actually there are NO jumpers on it. I guess the guy I bought it from forgot them. Argh. Still not sure why it's outputting such randomness... guess I'll have to try and purchass jumper shunts for it.

or you could just buy/build your own breakout panel for the jumpers, since having to pull the module out to access them is a huge pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I've been fooling around with single cycle waveforms with Audacity and frankly it's a fiddly pain. I started off with Adventure Kid waveforms, which are tuned to D2 +2 cents. The Electribe 2 Sampler imports everything at C4, so if you import these .wav files plain, C4 plays as D2 and everything else is way out of tune. The best I've been able to get so far is +5 cents, maybe a little worse in the sub-base registers. I got that by doubling the wave to 2 cycles then adjusting speed according to whatever the pitch tool said.

First, is 5 cents close enough, second is there anything free that can help me be more precise?

EDIT: -5 pitch gets it to .08 cents, which is good enough for government work.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 30, 2015