Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Quad posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed; why are there Rick flags on Gazorpazorp?

Is this going to be some overarching Bad Wolf lame plotline universe mythos BS, are they going to turn the show into "ah hah... it's actually a post-apocalyptic world, take THAT kids!" a la Adventure Time or whatever?

Because Rick took it over as soon as he got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CelticPredator posted:

Because Rick took it over as soon as he got there.
The Rickstaverse Instagram thing implies that Rick's actions on that planet set off a civil war that is still ongoing, with Rick as a rallying figure for the male Gazorpazorpians.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
But that shot is from before they did anything... it's the first time they see the head, which leads to them zardozing up into it, meeting the women, etc etc.

edit: oh wait, just rewatched it. "Great, now I have to take over a whole planet because of your stupid boobs." nvm

Quad fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 28, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There you go.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Quad posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed; why are there Rick flags on Gazorpazorp?

Is this going to be some overarching Bad Wolf lame plotline universe mythos BS, are they going to turn the show into "ah hah... it's actually a post-apocalyptic world, take THAT kids!" a la Adventure Time or whatever?

he took over gazorpazorp and he has an ego, mystery soved

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ajaxify posted:

Watching Rick almost kill himself at the end of Auto Erotic Assimilation was also difficult.

I think the music really made that scene.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

JT Jag posted:

The Rickstaverse Instagram thing implies that Rick's actions on that planet set off a civil war that is still ongoing, with Rick as a rallying figure for the male Gazorpazorpians.

I can't decide if a civil war on Garzorpazorp would lead to good things or bad things. The whole planet felt like a big metaphor for a bad relationship, maybe a civil war would would lead to the planet splitting in half AKA a metaphorical divorce which frankly seems like it would be what's best for the species. Just give both genders cloning machines capable of mixing up genetic material so same sex couples can have kids and let them go their separate ways since they have nothing in common and don't like being around each other.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPDn0PC6zFE

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It almost certainly was written as a result of Dan Harmon fooling around in the writer's room with his Ice-T impression and one of the writers taking that and running with it.

I'm thinking the genesis of this episode is Roiland waking up hung over and finding Get Shwifty and the other song fully recorded from the night before then dropping them off in the writers room and the rest is history.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Thank you for this gift you have brought to the world.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Aw geez Rick, I-I dunno, those seem like perfectly good potato chips...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sleeveless posted:

Aw geez Rick, I-I dunno, those seem like perfectly good potato chips...

Survival of the fittest Moooo(burp)oorty!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

a cop posted:

This is really good. Listen to this, all.

I think the constant hosed up skips here and there that hosed up some of the answers, followed by having to listen to Justin Rowland do the nth whiny "boo hoo how come i have to address things I actually say because I'm an entertainer maaaaaan" bullshit made this insufferable to listen to. Oh, when I have to listen to poo poo that would be enlightening in some way the skips start, but for Lemongrab to go "lol triggered" poo poo for ten minutes suddenly the quality gets better.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Kunster posted:

I think the constant hosed up skips here and there that hosed up some of the answers, followed by having to listen to Justin Rowland do the nth whiny "boo hoo how come i have to address things I actually say because I'm an entertainer maaaaaan" bullshit made this insufferable to listen to. Oh, when I have to listen to poo poo that would be enlightening in some way the skips start, but for Lemongrab to go "lol triggered" poo poo for ten minutes suddenly the quality gets better.

:staredog:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I don't know if it's the quality but it just, for some reason, kept skipping on the answers that were about production or the creative process, but it was real clear on "I got told off on the internet" guys part.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I want a full version of Rick's "Lapu lapu lapu laps, napu napu napu naps" song.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Justin shouldn't have to listen to anyone tbh.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh I'm aware that it's not a thing that folk address in the same way how hot dogs are made, I just found odd that the encoding got broken all around the video save for said part.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Can you link to where it's broken? I thought it was fine.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The link provided by Grim. I tried messing with the quality on youtube, tried other browsers, but on most of the questions, you can hear a lot of audio skips.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kunster posted:

Lol, triggered.

But there are some skips. Not too many for me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Internet Webguy posted:

I'm thinking the genesis of this episode is Roiland waking up hung over and finding Get Shwifty and the other song fully recorded from the night before then dropping them off in the writers room and the rest is history.

That's how Keith Richards wrote "Satisfaction" -- I wonder if Roiland actually does things like that.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Kunster posted:

The link provided by Grim. I tried messing with the quality on youtube, tried other browsers, but on most of the questions, you can hear a lot of audio skips.

I don't recall hearing any audio skips, but I wasn't paying 100% attention. In my case I downloaded it and played it, so that may have helped.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

CelticPredator posted:

Especially not the internet.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CelticPredator posted:

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kunster posted:

Megaspel posted:

I don't recall hearing any audio skips, but I wasn't paying 100% attention. In my case I downloaded it and played it, so that may have helped.

They mics they're using are really lovely and drop out a bunch of times.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They mics they're using are really lovely and drop out a bunch of times.

I especially noticed it when I stopped watching the video and was just listening to the audio, it became super annoying, often dropping multiple times per sentence. Those must be some drat bad mics.

Did enjoy the story of how that ending sequence was basically a game of telephone and originally the plan was just to have Rick get angry and like wreck a shelf or something, hah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CrazyLoon posted:

Especially not the internet.

The whole situation was weird. Justin didn't really respond in the best way, but in his defense, I don't know what the person who brought it up to him was trying to accomplish. You never talk to a creator about fanfiction and you especially never try to get them to step in on a fandom dispute. That's just overstepping a boundary between creator and fan.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

The whole situation was weird. Justin didn't really respond in the best way, but in his defense, I don't know what the person who brought it up to him was trying to accomplish. You never talk to a creator about fanfiction and you especially never try to get them to step in on a fandom dispute. That's just overstepping a boundary between creator and fan.

Justin handled it perfectly. The show's pilot features a child's grandfather asking him to insert two giant nuts up his rectum, and that's okay, but then, a year later, the idea of the same grandfather asking the same child to stick something objectively smaller and softer up the same rectum is offensive? Whoever thinks that deserved all the trolling and derision Justin heaped on him.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 29, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Irish Joe posted:

Justin handled it perfectly. The show's pilot features a child's grandfather asking him to insert two giant nuts up his rectum, and that's okay, but then, a year later, the idea of the same grandfather asking the same child to stick something objectively smaller and softer up the same rectum is offensive? Whoever thinks that deserved all the trolling and derision Justin heaped on him.

It's okay when they rape random wenches in GoT, but when a major character is raped, everyone is upset. Works the same way.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Paladinus posted:

It's okay when they rape random wenches in GoT, but when a major character is raped, everyone is upset. Works the same way.

I do not watch GoT but I think if it was showing random people being raped I would be kind of upset.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pavlov posted:

I do not watch GoT but I think if it was showing random people being raped I would be kind of upset.

It's a bit more complicated than he's making out. There have been two big broohahas about it; the first when the director was extremely tone deaf and didn't think it was rape in a "oh she ended up enjoying it" kind of way, and the second when they had a character go through a lot of development to get out of a situation where she's in danger of being raped into one where she's in control... and surprise! She's raped in a scene that doesn't (and can't, due to other changes) exist in the book, and eliminates all her character development to help spur a man into action.

People know that GoT has rape in it, it's only the really stereotypical "women are viewed as things for the sake of the plot" that gets people riled in large numbers.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Waffleman_ posted:

It was a loving shitshow caused principally by fandoms having no loving sense of boundaries.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
What did happen? I listened to the interview but he gave a response without explaining the backstory.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Kunster posted:

I meant a specific part that's broken for you. I listened to it audio-only while I was working out and didn't notice any encoding errors whatsoever. I guess I was goin pretty hard.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Guy who made a show about Doc Brown getting Marty to lick his balls outraged at people not respecting his intellectual property rights and boundaries of common decency.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CelticPredator posted:

I thought this was an interesting recurring theme from the season 1 commentary actually, that the whole show is essentially a game of tug-of-war between Justin's insanity and the rest of the crew, particularly Harmon's, desire for effective storytelling, but they have trouble figuring out where the point of balance when they're actively working on an episode. Harmon seems to worry that he's often removing too much Roiland from the mix, but I think there's clearly something enhanced by the collaboration as opposed to Justin's solo work.

His insanity is generally amusing and clever enough that he shouldn't really have to listen to anyone, but I think he's also smart enough to realize that letting himself get edited a bit can make a much stronger end product and if done carefully none of the Roiland charm is missing.

But I think you might have been mostly talking about an outside the writer's room context.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I dunno about all of you but I watch this show because its batshit manic insanity that throws jokes and gags all over the loving map and its hilarious. I don't give a gently caress about Harmon or whatever and who gets along with who.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

But enough about a funny show, I want to hear more about how rape is bad, because I wasn't sure it was and I need someone to tell me how bad it is, especially when it's on tv

Beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ror posted:

I thought this was an interesting recurring theme from the season 1 commentary actually, that the whole show is essentially a game of tug-of-war between Justin's insanity and the rest of the crew, particularly Harmon's, desire for effective storytelling, but they have trouble figuring out where the point of balance when they're actively working on an episode. Harmon seems to worry that he's often removing too much Roiland from the mix, but I think there's clearly something enhanced by the collaboration as opposed to Justin's solo work.

In that interview, that was linked last page, Roiland and Ridley put it pretty well about S2E3's ending. Harmon basically structured the episode for the most part, but the ending itself was nothing of his and he left it up to Roiland and the storyboard folks to do whatever they'd like. The original idea was that Rick'd smash poo poo up, but instead of that they came up with an ending that resonated a lot more. The joke of it is - they didn't even put that much intent or thought behind it, but came up with something way better than the original 'smashing poo poo up' idea.

It does seem to be a really good way for the show to function. Harmon usually brings his input to most of it, and the general structure of the story, but in special select scenes he just gives Roiland and co. free reign to do whatever they'd like (such as also all the improv sketches of interdimensional TV).

• Locked thread