Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

ETB posted:

So basically Hasbro is saying, "We give you our 'blessing', we get all the intellectual property rights, and you crowdfund it yourself." What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Broken Loose posted:

this is easily the scummiest thing i have ever seen in the gaming industry, and that includes exploding kittens.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I wouldn't have posted it it if were, but you're entitled to your opinion. It's essentially the same agreement that inventors sign when submitting ideas, and they get paid, a lot actually

lol

But man, Hasbro isn't even asking for like, the most reputable (still dubiously reputable) crowdfunding site. You get second tier Indiegogo for your game to die on.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

ETB posted:

So basically Hasbro is saying, "We give you our 'blessing', we get all the intellectual property rights, and you crowdfund it yourself." What the gently caress is this poo poo?

I think maybe you get money from Hasbro in addition to the crowdfunded money? And it's more about hedging their bets (by being able to see what is popular before picking a winner), rather than making you fully fund the game and production yourself?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The point is that if your idea is good enough to win the contest, you may be getting an offer for the game to get licensed or manufactured (or an offer to buy the concept/IP from you outright)
Like I said, it's very close to the way that inventor concept submissions work, except in a contest form

ETB posted:

The first freaking line of the legalese says you keep your IP rights
Only the finalists need to crowdfund it, and you get the added promotion from it being part of the contest

HazCat posted:

I think maybe you get money from Hasbro in addition to the crowdfunded money? And it's more about hedging their bets (by being able to see what is popular before picking a winner), rather than making you fully fund the game and production yourself?
As far as I'm aware you get to keep all of your crowdfunded money (well, as much as you would keep normally), the winner just gets a $10k prize and trip on top of that

edit: a lot of the choices made / words used are legal cya and typical contest bs - I firmly believe that it is ACTUALLY a good thing meant to promote crowdfunding and game development as a whole, and the people involved (who, as I said originally, are my friends) are sincere about it.

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 29, 2015

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Maybe it's because Hasbro is local to me, but... Hasbro is kinda evil? I mean, slightly more than is expected from it being a corporation. Also, ever seen a company say "We don't want your ideas. If you insist, you have to basically give up the rights to the idea for free." Kinda the same thing. I don't read contest rules much, since lots of them are ineligible here (and Quebec) for whatever reason, but are we certain it's that far out of line? i mean if they get dragged to court, if they don't squash it quickly, they might lose more money than the terrible boardgame made. Also, they probably figure that any game that is truly excellent would already be on kickstarter or courted by publishers. This is basically a publicity stunt / vanity press. At worst they have to get something tangible from it, and since you can't copyright rules per se, that means intellectual properties. Also, if you are in board game design for money, like I mean have a dream. I daydream about that sometimes too, we all probably do. But, you know, maybe also become a carpenter?

Yes, it is certainly lovely, but I am not surprised by it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The first freaking line of the legalese says you keep your IP rights

You're right, though any Submissions become property of Hasbro. I guess they can't outright copy your idea, if it's great. :v:

Should we do a Team Goon submission where we combine five of the "best worst" games into one comical Frankenstein's Monster?

I'm thinking something like Monopoly-Risk-Munchkin-Sorry-Candyland.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

ETB posted:

The actual terms and conditions posted:

You retain ownership of all intellectual property rights in the Submission (as defined below) including any associated copyrights, trademarks, and/or patents that you may hold.
People are really good about freaking out here without actually reading what's happening.

You retain full IP rights, you simply say you won't try to sue them for misrepresenting your game's characters or story or something. They choose the finalists, then the finalists are asked to start an IndieGoGo campaign. All finalists give Hasbro a Right of First Refusal, meaning if someone else makes a legit offer to publish your game, you just have to go to Hasbro first, ask if they want to at least match that offer to make the game instead. If they don't, you can go take another deal elsewhere. After a certain date, the judges will pick one of the finalists whose IndieGoGo campaign has reached at least 100 pledges to be the winner. The winner gets $10,000, the trip to Hasbro, and, assumedly, some input on the further development of their game into a full Hasbro product. Every finalist benefits from the additional marketing and buzz offered by Hasbro's name and reach, as well as the newsworthiness of the contest.

The non-finalist losers lose nothing. The finalist losers only risk losing whatever they would risk losing from a failed IndieGoGo campaign. The winner loses nothing.

It's perfectly fine to approach all multinational conglomerates like they're trying to screw the little guy (and don't get me wrong, Hasbro will make some much fatter profit margins if the contest winner is a hit than if they built a hit game from scratch themselves), but that doesn't mean you should let that attitude make you see negative circumstances where they aren't. Hasbro does some lovely stuff to make big bucks, but that doesn't mean everything they could possibly be involved in is an underhanded tactic to steal as much money and designs as they can.

EDIT -

ETB posted:

though any Submissions become property of Hasbro
Yes, that literally means the submissions themselves: the digital files and whatnot you send them to tell them what your game is. If this was based on physical prototypes, the "Submission" would be the actual prototype copy you send them. Again, it's all simple, boiler-plate stuff to prevent you from being able to sue them for doing exactly what they said they would do with the things you send them.

JMBosch fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 29, 2015

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I have an idea for a game called Combustible Pups. One card features a cute puppy strapped to a pile of dynamite. And you try not to draw that card from a shared pile in the middle. Maybe I should submit it? My entire family thought it was hilarious and that you could play it again and again for hours on end.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Cocks Cable posted:

I have an idea for a game called Combustible Pups. One card features a cute puppy strapped to a pile of dynamite. And you try not to draw that card from a shared pile in the middle. Maybe I should submit it? My entire family thought it was hilarious and that you could play it again and again for hours on end.

Not creative enough, they should be Zombies

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Not creative enough, they should be Zombies

Exploding Cthulhu Zombies in Fedoras.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
put anime titties on them

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
also a traitor mechanic

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
also a trader mechanic

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I'm concerned none of these ideas involve roll to move mechanics

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm concerned none of these ideas involve roll to move mechanics

…using a dice deck, where you can buy booster packs to build a better deck.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Triple triad, but instead of using set cards, you use dice that you roll before the game. Leftover lovely D&D miniatures are involved somehow.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Triple triad, but instead of using set cards, you use dice that you roll before the game. Leftover lovely D&D miniatures are involved somehow.

Actually that could be amazing. You could have a big shared dice pool and take one in turn to fit into a monster frame. Taking low numbers would need to give you an advantage.

Use coloured dice to represent a rock paper scissors element system

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Okay, so Exploding Cthulhu Zombies You have a rectangular board with spaces all along the outside that form a spiral that leads to the end space. You roll a d6 to move your intricately detailed miniature. The space you land on tells you which card deck to draw from, zombies or cthulhu. But watch out! You might draw an exploding card which means you're knocked backed 2d6 spaces and have to discard 1d6 cards worth of equipment and spells. Only the most skilled players will avoid drawing that card. After you're done fighting some zombies or elder gods by rolling dice according to your fight and spell stats, you can trade with all the other players for resources to build your kingdom. But watch out! One of them is a traitor. They may pass you an infection card which means you're now on the traitorous Werewolf team. Once one player gets to the end space, they can fight Zombified Cthulhu and seize the Fedora of Command. But watch out! You need to roll double sixes to dodge his special attack which sends you back to the starting space. Player elimination is too good for those who dare to challenge Cthulhu.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

Actually that could be amazing. You could have a big shared dice pool and take one in turn to fit into a monster frame. Taking low numbers would need to give you an advantage.

Real suggestion, if you like Triple Triad, you might want to check out Sellswords. It has the same issues that plague all of Level 99 Games' games, namely that it really, really needs a technical writer, but...it's also Triple Triad slapped onto a small draft. It's also like $13.50, so it's not a huge loss if you hate it.

I remember some people here posted about Blood Rage from playing it at Gencon, but does it obsolete Chaos in the Old World? Is it good enough for me to get over my bitterness and principles that it's one of those Kickstarter games with KS exclusives that affect gameplay?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Real suggestion, if you like Triple Triad, you might want to check out Sellswords. It has the same issues that plague all of Level 99 Games' games, namely that it really, really needs a technical writer, but...it's also Triple Triad slapped onto a small draft. It's also like $13.50, so it's not a huge loss if you hate it.

I remember some people here posted about Blood Rage from playing it at Gencon, but does it obsolete Chaos in the Old World? Is it good enough for me to get over my bitterness and principles that it's one of those Kickstarter games with KS exclusives that affect gameplay?

Oh. Sold. Thanks for that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cocks Cable posted:

Okay, so Exploding Cthulhu Zombies You have a rectangular board with spaces all along the outside that form a spiral that leads to the end space. You roll a d6 to move your intricately detailed miniature. The space you land on tells you which card deck to draw from, zombies or cthulhu. But watch out! You might draw an exploding card which means you're knocked backed 2d6 spaces and have to discard 1d6 cards worth of equipment and spells. Only the most skilled players will avoid drawing that card. After you're done fighting some zombies or elder gods by rolling dice according to your fight and spell stats, you can trade with all the other players for resources to build your kingdom. But watch out! One of them is a traitor. They may pass you an infection card which means you're now on the traitorous Werewolf team. Once one player gets to the end space, they can fight Zombified Cthulhu and seize the Fedora of Command. But watch out! You need to roll double sixes to dodge his special attack which sends you back to the starting space. Player elimination is too good for those who dare to challenge Cthulhu.

I see no monetisation through booster packs.
Also, you did not describe the game as “fun”. 3/10. :colbert:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 29, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tekopo posted:

I actually wrote about this a long time ago. I call it visual storylines and it's one of my favourite things in board games: developing something visually is really interesting to me. So I like things like 18xx, war games, Agricola, dungeon lords/pets etc because they each tell a story of how your dungeon/farm/war/railroad company develops. It's why I used to take pictures of the end state of my 18xx games. I wrote a blog post about this.

I like that, "Visual Storyline". I hadn't thought of it that way.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That Hasbro legalese some of you are losing your minds over is significantly less predatory and insidious than you're assuming. If you're considering it at all seriously, do your homework, read it over, make a list of questions, and pay for a consultation to have things spelled out to you so you don't make a bad business decision.

Easy mode: only do business with people you trust and like, and understand that if someone actually wants to try and screw you it won't matter one bit to them what someone says a piece of paper says, they'll just do it and if push comes to shove they'll go "(shrug) let the courts sort it out" and won't lose one wink of sleep. Dead End, No Exit, hail satan, etc.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Tippis posted:

I see no monetisation through booster packs.
Also, you did not describe the game as “fun”. 3/10. :colbert:

The miniatures come in blind boxes and the best ones are insanely rare.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So I finally played Falling and even though it took my friends a while to get the hang of it, the game is really good. Would recommend it. It's basically exploding kittens but it works :v:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

The miniatures come in blind boxes and the best ones are insanely rare Kickstarter/convention exclusive promos.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Don't forget we need a good mass to cost ratio. It should come in a lead lined box.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mister Sinewave posted:

That Hasbro legalese some of you are losing your minds over is significantly less predatory and insidious than you're assuming. If you're considering it at all seriously, do your homework, read it over, make a list of questions, and pay for a consultation to have things spelled out to you so you don't make a bad business decision.

Easy mode: only do business with people you trust and like, and understand that if someone actually wants to try and screw you it won't matter one bit to them what someone says a piece of paper says, they'll just do it and if push comes to shove they'll go "(shrug) let the courts sort it out" and won't lose one wink of sleep. Dead End, No Exit, hail satan, etc.

Okay, so I typed out a really loving long and thoughtful post to respond to this once already and then Chrome ate it. So, excuse me if I'm a little short.

Did you not read my post last page? The problem isn't even remotely that Hasbro's gonna hold your IP hostage or that you're not gonna get a good contract. The problem is that, in order to qualify to win, you have to successfully run an Indiegogo campaign for your game.

First, the express purpose of a contest is to lower the barrier of entry-- or so the marketing for this contest leads us to believe. Your next idea could be the big one! Just, you know, make the game, market the game, and sell the game, then we'll pick up the little bits afterward. It's like a Game Design Unpaid Internship. Real unpaid internships serve only as a barrier to prevent people who can't work for a while without being paid from entering an industry. This is like an American Idol that requires you to release an album and get a record deal before you can even step in front of the judges. It's all backwards.

Even worse, crowdfunding sites exist explicitly to avoid the publisher dynamic. In fact, crowdfunding sites have been ruined by publishers competing unfairly and raising the cost of entry so much as to defeat the purpose of crowdfunding. Why the gently caress is Hasbro even mentioning Indiegogo at all? They should have nothing to do with crowdfunding sites-- it's the same reason why I hate and openly talk poo poo about Travis Worthington and Indie Boards & Cards. They have plenty of capital, insane market reach, a huge presence on real actual retail shelves, the ability to run their own goddamn preorder campaigns on their websites if they need to, and no loving business touching crowdfunding sites ever. What's next, is McDonald's gonna crowdfund their next burger? Is Time Warner gonna crowdfund a new channel?

Yes, you don't need to necessarily win your campaign so long as at least 100 people pay for it. That just means that Hasbro is literally using Indiegogo to determine the viability of your product. It's loving Hasbro! They have a department full of dudes who are paid to determine the viability of products! You don't end up on shelves at Wal-Mart without having some way to figure out what the market wants outside of forcing plebs to gamble thousands of their own dollars for your fuckin' amusement.

The worst part, the worst part, is the absolute oxymoron created by this situation. The contest rules outright state that you will not be compensated for anything you spend to run your campaign. Do you run a campaign with a low goal just so that you can make the goal easily, but not be able to actually publish the game from a successful campaign? What happens to the people who don't win the contest but succeed these campaigns? Or do you make a campaign with a goal high enough to publish your game by yourself, in which case why the gently caress are you entering the contest

I dunno. The only way I'd even consider this is if I had a game that absolutely needed Hasbro's manufacturing resources to create. However, it would require me to make and run a knowingly dishonest IGG for a game that isn't guaranteed to be released if successful. Anything lower than that and there's no point in going through all the bullshit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Broken Loose posted:

What's next, is McDonald's gonna crowdfund their next burger?

Given that they're already running contests for the general public to design burgers for mass production, no, because they crowdsourced the last one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I played the Elder Signs app on my phone recently. I think if I'd known how totally and utterly random it is I wouldn't have bothered. I'm so surprised by the positive reviews on BGG since they don't usually enjoy randomness on there.

It feels like the whole game is just roll some dice then if they match the cards you've drawn you're fine. If not? Welp, next investigator. Plus it's got loving videos to teach you the game instead of a manual in the app which absolutely sucks poo poo, I hate learning from videos.

In Forbidden Stars news I've played it enough now that I'm really looking forward to an expansion. I do kinda wonder what they'll do with it since naming the specific subsections of the factions suggests you'll get more of the same. So they'd bring out Imperial Fists which would mean you can't play the Ultramarines against them and etc. I think new factions wise only Necrons and Tau would work. Both of them could easily be out trying to capture objectives instead of just mindlessly eating everyone like the Tyranids do.
You can't add Imperial Guard because it wouldn't be thematic for them to be fighting marines.
I do wish they'd hurry up and at least announce one.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Taear posted:

I played the Elder Signs app on my phone recently. I think if I'd known how totally and utterly random it is I wouldn't have bothered. I'm so surprised by the positive reviews on BGG since they don't usually enjoy randomness on there.

It feels like the whole game is just roll some dice then if they match the cards you've drawn you're fine. If not? Welp, next investigator. Plus it's got loving videos to teach you the game instead of a manual in the app which absolutely sucks poo poo, I hate learning from videos.

In Forbidden Stars news I've played it enough now that I'm really looking forward to an expansion. I do kinda wonder what they'll do with it since naming the specific subsections of the factions suggests you'll get more of the same. So they'd bring out Imperial Fists which would mean you can't play the Ultramarines against them and etc. I think new factions wise only Necrons and Tau would work. Both of them could easily be out trying to capture objectives instead of just mindlessly eating everyone like the Tyranids do.
You can't add Imperial Guard because it wouldn't be thematic for them to be fighting marines.
I do wish they'd hurry up and at least announce one.

(A) Tyranids aren't mindless.
(B) IG fight marines all the time, Inquisitors and bureaucrats get in pissing matches with Chapter Masters and there are also planets who worship Chaos (with appropriately Chaos-worshipping Guard).
(C) Has your average playtime dropped below 3 hours yet?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Broken Loose posted:

(A) Tyranids aren't mindless.
(B) IG fight marines all the time, Inquisitors and bureaucrats get in pissing matches with Chapter Masters and there are also planets who worship Chaos (with appropriately Chaos-worshipping Guard).
(C) Has your average playtime dropped below 3 hours yet?

A) Tyranids exist to devour planets. Okay it's not mindless but it doesn't fit the idea of turning up to this system to grab objectives. They'd have to have special rules around devouring planets as their objective. Which is fine if they're an NPC faction maybe but would still change the game a lot.

B) The Ultramarines wouldn't fight Imperial Guard over a system. If they had objectives on their planets that the guard need they'd be easily handed over unless every single objective is some sacred marine item. It doesn't fit right with how the game works.
Yes the guard and marines fight in some things - even in Warhammer 40k Conquest - but it doesn't feel like it fits the theme of Forbidden Stars.

C) A two player game takes us an hour and a half usually. Four player is around 3 hours though yea. I doubt you can get it lower.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Tryanids potentially having an entirely different type of objective is a reason why they'd make an excellent additional faction.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Taear posted:

C) A two player game takes us an hour and a half usually.

That sounds great. How would you rate it at the various play counts? Does it scale well?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Anyone headed to DragonCon next weekend? Occasionally they have a decent board game panel, but it's mostly old designers jerking themselves off about crap no one cares about. If I had any industry credibility, I'd run a panel about the flaws in many popular games and give suggestions for alternative games to fill the same niche.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tekopo posted:

So I finally played Falling and even though it took my friends a while to get the hang of it, the game is really good. Would recommend it. It's basically exploding kittens but it works :v:

I love Falling as well!

The PnP version uses an older version of the rules - it seems the Paizo printing combined two of the cards that allow you to pass your turn into a single one, would love to try that one.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tekopo posted:

Has anyone tried Brawl? It looks kinda like two player Falling.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Azran posted:

I love Falling as well!

The PnP version uses an older version of the rules - it seems the Paizo printing combined two of the cards that allow you to pass your turn into a single one, would love to try that one.

Specifically, Falling used to have distinct Action Cards for giving away riders and for taking riders. It was kind of messy and hard to teach, and I say this as a proud owner of a pair of very lived-in first edition Falling decks.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Magnetic North posted:

Has anyone tried Brawl? It looks kinda like two player Falling.

Brawl is okay. You can make it work with more than 2 people by having everybody hit the players during next to them, but it's more of a crazy James Ernest turn of the century proof of concept than it is a worthwhile game. Not as wild and interesting as his next one, Fightball, although that one had a very Vlaada-esque "short game followed by long resolution" issue plaguing it. Also, Brawl is hard to sleeve due to really loving weirdly small cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've been playing Legends of Andor with a friend, his wife, and my partner on Friday evenings for the last couple weeks and I gotta say, game is hard as hell.

But real good.