Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I haven't actually played this game, but with the description for the master hunter mentioning the sky, does it change depending on the winner? What are the descriptions for the other winners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Fister Roboto posted:

Lancer is actually a bit better than a 20% damage increase, because the multiplier gets applied to the attack value before subtracting defense. Remember that most enemies have 10 defense. Freya has 18 attack with her current spear, so her base damage before multipliers against most enemies is 8. Lancer increases the 18 to 21, so now her base damage is 11, or a 37% damage increase. The percentage multiplier will decrease as her weapon improves, but it will always be slightly higher than 20%.

That being said, it's still worse than the Attack command with a killer ability, or Jump, which are both a flat 50% damage increase.

Furthermore, Jump does full damage from the back row, which I'm pretty sure Lancer doesn't do. Mind you, there's still the problem of Jump's delay causing damage at a slower pace.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember on one of my playthroughs, I Was short on cash for whatever reason, so I decided to get some cash in the Grotto to get it. And that was when I realized you can't get back to town once you either leave or get to the Grotto.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

AlphaKretin posted:

I haven't actually played this game, but with the description for the master hunter mentioning the sky, does it change depending on the winner? What are the descriptions for the other winners?

If it does change, the internet might be unaware of it. 15 minutes with Google and GameFAQs has revealed nothing. I did win it as Zidane a few times, and I don't quite remember it having different text? Pretty sure it stays the same no matter who gets it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Don't think so. Never really thought about the text until now (For some reason my only memory of key item text are the stelazao and the kupo nut).

The stuff about the sky is just fluff, of course. Or motivational text like "shoot for the moon, if you miss you reach the stars" except more :black101:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It can't have different text, because you can't get it if Zidane, Freya, or Vivi don't win.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bufuman posted:

Furthermore, Jump does full damage from the back row, which I'm pretty sure Lancer doesn't do. Mind you, there's still the problem of Jump's delay causing damage at a slower pace.

Lancer does actually ignore the back row penalty. In fact I believe that the only thing the back row affects is the Attack command.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 29, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The annoying thing about Freya is that she starts in the back row when she joins your party. Yes Jump might do full damage from the back but if you want her to just swing her spear you want her in the front. And yes, this also applies for when you fight Zaghnol - you have to switch her rows manually during the fight.

And yeah, this is just the first of many of Dagger's awesome moments that establish her as a tier above most other heroines.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Nah, that's a quote from the previous winner of the Festival. It's always the same, it just seems to fit for Freya since the last winner was also a dragoon.

Edit: wait poo poo, don't quote me on that, I think I got my facts mixed up on who the last winner was.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I would like to note that at this point in the game, you have -some- freedom to do as you please. Note the word, SOME. As soon as you complete Gizamaluke's Groto, you can not go back to lindblum at all for shopping and synthesis. The transportation shuts down between then and all you can do is a mogshop in the gate (which sells your standard items of potions, phoenix downs, tents, etc.) until you get near the end of Burmecia for another mogshop that sells -some- equipment, but you are unable to synth until later on. And buy a few Javelins while you are in lindblum. Besides the one she starts out with and a disk 3 chest later on, you can NOT buy them after this point because reasons and they are used in synthesis later on if you want a full item list at the end of the game, god knows you want to syth at least one of everything.

But yea, Dagger/Garnet really is the best princess in final fantasy, she loving DOES something and gets a leg up on Zidane and crew at least a couple times over the course of the game. The love story between her and Zidane is -actually loving believable- unlike a lot of these love-stories that we see these days. And Freya really is a great party member for her utility alone, and once she gets her first spear upgrade, is a...kinda-sorta-not-really a healer.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 29, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And there goes Garnet, marching off to try and jam herself in the jaws of World War III. I can see why she doesn't want any Lindblumites getting involved in the whole affair.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

quote:

Uh, you okay there Cid, you seemed to hit those stairs pretty hard.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kemix posted:

But yea, Dagger/Garnet really is the best princess in final fantasy, she loving DOES something and gets a leg up on Zidane and crew at least a couple times over the course of the game. The love story between her and Zidane is -actually loving believable- unlike a lot of these love-stories that we see these days. And Freya really is a great party member for her utility alone, and once she gets her first spear upgrade, is a...kinda-sorta-not-really a healer.

Yeah, Dagger is great cause the game actually gives her agency in solving her problems. Unlike the likes of Yuna, Rinoa and Aerith she's not being told what to do or along for the ride on the main character's ride, she makes decisions and follows through on them.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Rarity posted:

and Aerith

Actually Aeris is pretty strong-willed and makes her own decisions quite a bit. It's Tifa who usually doesn't do anything unless she's told.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
People creating fictional memories of FF VII characters' personalities and believing them to be real remains the meta-est thing in video gaming.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

kalonZombie posted:

Actually Aeris is pretty strong-willed and makes her own decisions quite a bit. It's Tifa who usually doesn't do anything unless she's told.

Meanwhile the entire plot of FFX is driven by Yuna with Tidus little more than a tag-along until late in the game, and XII's entire plot is based around Ashe and her decisions about how and if to reclaim her throne. The only FF female lead from this era that really fits the "no agency" concept is Rinoa.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bufuman posted:

That delay is offset by Jump making the jumping character not targetable. I've literally won battles were all was lost thanks to her being in the air when the TPK-strike landed.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't think it does. I think it's the obliquest of hints/references at something optional about two discs from now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gnoman posted:

Meanwhile the entire plot of FFX is driven by Yuna with Tidus little more than a tag-along until late in the game, and XII's entire plot is based around Ashe and her decisions about how and if to reclaim her throne. The only FF female lead from this era that really fits the "no agency" concept is Rinoa.

I'd say it's the inverse - Yuna is mostly doing things for other people (for her father, for Spira, etc.) until near the end of the game, where she decides to shake off just doing what she's told to please people. She tries to do a lot of stuff early on but also backs down pretty easily (leaving her luggage behind because Wakka tells her to, not summoning because Seymour tells her to).

Her big tipping point is probably when she decides to confront Seymour at Macalania on her own, that's when she's not taking no for an answer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kanfy posted:

People creating fictional memories of FF VII characters' personalities and believing them to be real remains the meta-est thing in video gaming.

Many of friends still don't believe me when I tell them this.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd say it's the inverse - Yuna is mostly doing things for other people (for her father, for Spira, etc.) until near the end of the game, where she decides to shake off just doing what she's told to please people. She tries to do a lot of stuff early on but also backs down pretty easily (leaving her luggage behind because Wakka tells her to, not summoning because Seymour tells her to).

Her big tipping point is probably when she decides to confront Seymour at Macalania on her own, that's when she's not taking no for an answer.

Either way, she wouldn't be described as "along for the ride." It's her mission and the people around her are acting in support of her goal as she defines it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rarity posted:

Unlike the likes of Yuna

What. Tidus is along for the ride in Yuna's story. Everything that happens is because of her. She listens to Auron and Lulu sure, but the climax of the game comes when she makes a decision on what to do with Sin. She also took matters into her own hands regarding Gyscal and Seymour. You don't have to be Lightning to be a female character with agency.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Libluini posted:

That delay is offset by Jump making the jumping character not targetable. I've literally won battles were all was lost thanks to her being in the air when the TPK-strike landed.

This is basically how I beat Ozma the first time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SonicRulez posted:

What. Tidus is along for the ride in Yuna's story. Everything that happens is because of her. She listens to Auron and Lulu sure, but the climax of the game comes when she makes a decision on what to do with Sin. She also took matters into her own hands regarding Gyscal and Seymour. You don't have to be Lightning to be a female character with agency.

The difference between Yuna and Dagger is that Dagger has no intention of being pushed around from the very start. Yuna takes a dungeon or two before she takes command.

Both of them have no problem sticking up for themselves. Yuna quickly realized something was up with Seymour and Dagger refuses to let Steiner drag her back. Yuna just starts her game off a little complacent. Not that you can really judge; the first steps of a journey towards ritual suicide have got to be a little shaky.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Rarity posted:

Unlike the likes of Rinoa she's not being told what to do or along for the ride on the main character's ride, she makes decisions and follows through on them.

Rinoa made her own decisions. She attempted to seal the Sorceress' power on her own (yes, it necessitated her rescue, but she had no idea Edea was that powerful until she was being suspended by one hand in the air), she decided there was no way in hell she was letting Irvine rescue just her (beat the crap out of him until he went back for the others, remember?), and decided she wanted to help the SeeDs out, since they had helped her group out far beyond what the terms of a contract had called for. How is any of that not making decisions and following through on them?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Gnoman posted:

I dunno about that. The whole thing about X-2 was how Yuna was finally getting to live her life the way she wanted. In X, everyone expected her to become a Summoner because her father was one of great renown and Auron is pretty much going "Go to Zanarkand and finish the pilgrimage, Yuna." the whole time. It's not until right before the beginning of the game's end that she really starts gaining some self-will, from what I recall.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I dunno about that. The whole thing about X-2 was how Yuna was finally getting to live her life the way she wanted. In X, everyone expected her to become a Summoner because her father was one of great renown and Auron is pretty much going "Go to Zanarkand and finish the pilgrimage, Yuna." the whole time. It's not until right before the beginning of the game's end that she really starts gaining some self-will, from what I recall.

Having no will of her own is debatable. Defeating Sin isn't just something she's doing just because everyone expects her to. She's seeking to defeating Sin because she WANTS to. Remember during the Lake Scene when Tidus offered to take her to his Zanarkand and let everyone else deal with it? She seems to go along with it at first, but then breaks down because she can't leave all those people to suffer. It's just not who she is. X-2 gives her more freedom to do things her way, sure, but there's also no lives other than her own (and those that are willing to come with her) at stake at the start of her journey, so it's justified. And in chapters 3 and 4, she could easily ignore all the problems going down and continue as she had been before, but stops to help even though nobody asked her, because at the end of the day she's the exact same person she was in FFX: a hopeless do-gooder who can't stand to see people suffer.

EDIT: In fact, now that I think about it, she actually became a Summoner in the first place AGAINST Wakka and Lulu's wishes, so she's been making her own choices since before the first game even started.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 29, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo this whole 'oh this female character is so much better than these other female characters' thing is really lame and serves mostly to tear down random female characters for no real reason. like yeah there are shittily written female characters out there (and in the ff series as well) but people tend to have this really, really narrow view of what constitutes a 'good' female character and whenever a character tips one toe outside that box they suddenly suck rear end.

female characters who stand up for themselves are good. female characters who are kinda wimpy are also good. what matters isn't the personality but how much screentime they get and how much time is devoted to their own development, and minus, like, Rosa, FF is usually pretty decent about that with its female leads.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER FIVE: But now in the business district of the Lindblum Grand Castle he knew there were Zaghnols.

Establishing shot.

Tinhank gets nude before the story removes him from my party for quite a while. Kukri doesn't get hit by BW #2 so she's been bereft of equipment since the factory.

I apologize for nothing.

Man how am I ever supposed to win Battle City if I can't even defeat Bandit Keith?

Wrists cost 130 gil. Steepled Hats cost 260.

It takes 1,000 more to make a Cotton Robe.

They sell for 2,000 which is a little more than 1,390.

With this money I get everything available at the moment.

Thief Swords have statuses but they don't work with Add Status. Instead they are applied at a 100% rate by Soul Blade. The Ogre itself inflicts blindness, which is very, very handy to have.

Despite costing a ton, Tents are something I want in unreasonable numbers. For Reasons.

Foreshadowing.

WATCH BRAHNE START A loving WAR

The Theatre Ship is, like, the best card available for Battle City simply because it tends to have 6-8 directions and a stat total higher than 4. I don't need it nearly as much as I desire the Coral Ring. Absorbing Thunder is much more important than a good card, especially when I can get other good cards but have this one chance at a Coral Ring for the rest of disc 1.

Here's Gitan's set up for Duelist Kingdom.

Wait, I don't have to euphemise it. This is the Festival of the Hunt. Exactly one fight matters, and it involves Gitan being electrocuted and stealing something.

If I don't make this steal, the level 1 game is impossible.

Thus it's kind of imperative to save before trying. It's a long wait between attempts if it fails, though it isn't that hard to do.

I chill by killing a thing.

Then another thing.

Mostly watching this happen.

Running into the fountain area of the business district with less than four minutes left is what causes Zaghnol to spawn.

8 minutes of nothing is rather dull, y'know.

Ratchel's in the lead. This is important.

This isn't the steal. Still nice to have though dodge rates are still abysmal.

Normally Zaghnol is kind of a pain in the rear end due to his 1574 HP but when your goal is just to steal instead of kill, it's okay. He's open to blind and silence off of Gitan's weapons if you have Bandit mastered... somehow.

Ratchel can spend her days just flinging potions since she has nothing else to add.

Zaghnol's Thunder is actually kind of a breather.

Maybe it's the silk shirt, but Heave does a lot more.

Anyway here's the important item that's mandatory at level 1. It's very dumb.

Now for the cunning strategy to close the contest:

Chill in the item menu until time runs out.

Score doesn't advance while in a battle, so Ratchel still takes the contest. Zidane goes "dang" and apparently Zaghnol gets stage fright as he leaves and the children aren't murdered.

Oh uh Lancer. I might use it once.

So he stumbled in, somehow, despite the ground-level gate being closed (this is a plot point) and just stumbled on the trolley, stumbled off, stumbled on the elevator, got to the top level, and stumbled into the throne room.

Also he's a rat.

Suspension: shattered.

And then Kukri's master plan kicked in and everyone died, leaving the throne empty.

I kept a few of the robes around for the defense boost. They have a fire weakness. I can't really avoid that part, though.

Man Eater is on the Coral Ring too? Well screw you Lancer, the only thing Ratchel will be stabbing is humans.

Insomniac, however, has quite a few uses.

That's it for this trip. Next time: birb.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 29, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I apologize for nothing.

You have nothing to apologize for. :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara.

I would have laughed if you had to reset for the Needle Fork. It's such a dumb thing, since it teaches the exact same skill as something else, only has a few points of attack more than that something else, and you can get them as early as the beginning of Disc 2.

The dumb thing is something entirely different that I won't spoil. God drat I forgot the hoops a LLG has to jump through early on.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

quote:

Everytime I watch this gif I see something new and wonderful about it. Steiner's freakout of glory, Zidane's little reach, Freya gingerly nibbling before the hefty stumble to grab the table like a badass trying to grip.

Oglop teleporting towards the stairs and Vivi being a loving baller and falling asleep WHILST STILL STANDING

like a real champ. God this game. I had no idea about that woman going about "this game sucks" either, that's loving great.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

FinalGamer posted:

Oglop teleporting towards the stairs and Vivi being a loving baller and falling asleep WHILST STILL STANDING
Actually, if you look closely, you can see him slink forward a bit which suggests he's fallen to his knees before getting caught by the table.

It's an incredibly small detail, but it's there.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Actually, if you look closely, you can see him slink forward a bit which suggests he's fallen to his knees before getting caught by the table.

It's an incredibly small detail, but it's there.

Ooohhh yeah, he's got insect legs, so he probably just pivoted and hanging upside down.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Ooohhh yeah, he's got insect legs, so he probably just pivoted and hanging upside down.

I think he means that Vivi start falling down on his face, but his face (hat?) got caught by the table and he's pretty much slumped against it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FinalGamer posted:

Steiner's freakout of glory

Notice that Steiner doesn't actually start panicking and acting like anything's wrong until he sees everybody else go down for the count. :allears: The attention to detail in this game's animations is amazing.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Zidane's animation is appropriately theatrical. :allears:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Haha drat Freya does try to stand up again. What a bad rear end.

I liked Freya immediately and she was always in my main party when I first played. Until later when I discovered how overpowered magic sword is. Shame.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

WATCH BRAHNE START A loving WAR

Brahne stole that election, Doctor Tot won the popular vote! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I like that Zidane still has enough awareness left before he is knocked out to realize that it was Dagger who poisoned them.

• Locked thread