Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

"Can you not see that I'm in my 'meat' chunk bath, please just take yourself away and gently caress off. I swear..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Chard posted:

"Can you not see that I'm in my 'meat' chunk bath, please just take yourself away and gently caress off. I swear..."

This is art.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Still Life with Masaokis

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ErIog posted:

Here's some real content:

I want to see one of these in the wild because the Ka being legible on a baked KitKat is food artist scam doctoring on the highest level.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Bina posted:

Silkworms tend to have little nubby legs. Those look like long spindly legs.

I'd totes eat Cicadas. They are plentiful when they hatch and breed, and can only imagine people have resorted to also eating them when they emerge.

Every 13-17 years, I believe.

When the 17 year cicadas came out around here, our newspaper was publishing recipes and warnings about cicadas and shellfish allergies.

Don't eat cicadas if you're allergic to shellfish, people.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

ErIog posted:

I have it on good authority they are some variety of silkworm.

Those are definitely cicada nymphs, you can see another example on the wikipedia page for Shandong cuisine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shandong_cuisine .

Silkworms are also edible but they look more like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beondegi

I've had the silkworms, the taste isn't bad but they really smell foul when they're cooking.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Silkworm pupae smell like boiled shoes

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bonster posted:

When the 17 year cicadas came out around here, our newspaper was publishing recipes and warnings about cicadas and shellfish allergies.

Don't eat cicadas if you're allergic to shellfish, people.

I would find cicada grubs when digging in the garden, and would feed them to my dog. She loved them, wagging her tail like crazy every time.

That doesn't mean I would eat them.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gansitos. Little sponge cake goodness wrapped in sweet, but slightly bitter, chocolate, with a jelly and cream filling. These little sons of bitches have 10% of your daily fat and carb intake, make up 30% of your saturated fat daily intake, and are jam-packed (ha get it) with 21 grams of sugar. Per individually wrapped cake.

These duckers (thanks autocorrect) are from the border of the U.S. and Mexico. This is the gas station level Ho-Ho, Zinger, Twinkie, Nutty Bar, Ding-Dong, Wing-Wang, Walla-Walla, and what have yous from my Mexican friends' childhood. The first time I had one of these was in high school, when my girlfriend's abuela would bring an 8 pack up from Chihuahua for her to snack on over the course of a week. I have eaten 8 today.

That's not a random picture off the internet. That's my stash. That's the result of finding a wrapper for one of these while I worked as a housekeeper, and having every memory of these heart-stopping, pancreas-destroying, foot-removing pillows of heaven come rushing back to me. Amazing ships 48 individually wrapped Gansitos anywhere in the world for 30 dollars.

They are worth it. They taste like the best goddamn Hostess treat you've ever had in your life. That feeling of elation when your mom let you grab a pack of Cosmic Brownies or Zebra Cakes at the store, the taste of a Lil Debbie or Mrs Freshleys snack cake from your youth, is not a fleeting touch of nostalgia. The Marinela snack cake company took the physical manifestation of those childhood whimsies, covered it in bittersweet chocolate and injected it full of fruit jelly, cream, and insulin blockers.

After 8 of these, I'm concerned for my well-being. If diabetes can be an emotion then I am fully loving feeling it. I'm as light headed as my first nicotine buzz, sneaking drags off cowboy killers behind the middle school because cigarettes still got me that momentary high. I still want another one.

These are a pure 10/10.

If there's any two pieces of advice I give you, AFP thread, it's 1. Buy an 8 pack of Gansitos off Amazon, and 2.

Always serve chilled.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
:stare: I am... intrigued.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

death .cab for qt posted:

Always serve chilled.

Those things are loving amazing. I made sure to bring some back up with me along with some Bubulubu (gently caress yea) when I visited friends in south Texas earlier this month.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who stores tortillas in that little gap :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That is the Tortilla Spot, just below the Cheese Drawer and just above the Lettuce Crisper

By their powers combined, I had tacos for lunch

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Always serve chilled.

Alright, if I can find a store selling Mexican snack food, I'm buying some.

And then for shits and giggles I'll buy a crapload of Mexican candy and effortpost again.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Those are available in any grocery store and most gas stations in Texas. That and prepackaged toast for some reason.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
The prepackaged toast is pretty good w/ nutella or something.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

Those are available in any grocery store and most gas stations in Texas. That and prepackaged toast for some reason.

Hell, they're available at a gas station less than a mile from me, along with these:

they're delicious

and a smattering of other Mexican cookies, and I'm in the rich, white part of Kansas. Who the hell doesn't have access to Hispanic junk food?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Danger Mahoney posted:

Same here in New Mexico. You can get any of those Mexican baked things at even Walmart.

My favorite is Sponch. Soft cookie, covered in four beads of marshmallow, sprinkled with coconut, and then finished with a glob of strawberry jam in the middle. Take a Brulee torch and toast it a little. Delicious, and they have a stupid name!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fish Of Doom posted:

My favorite is Sponch. Soft cookie, covered in four beads of marshmallow, sprinkled with coconut, and then finished with a glob of strawberry jam in the middle. Take a Brulee torch and toast it a little. Delicious, and they have a stupid name!

Another brand's version is called Arcoiris, available in the "foreign aisle" at Meijer stores in Michigan, at the very least. :allears: Delicious and surprisingly low-calorie. They remind me of the (long-gone) Hippodrome cookies I (and my mom) grew up eating in my grandparents' house; they just had an extra shortbread cookie on top sandwich-style.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Amazon ships 48 individually wrapped Gansitos anywhere in the world for 30 dollars.
I'd love to try these, but "anywhere in the world" doesn't include the UK. It's okay, I'm not bitter. I just hope you choke on them.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fish Of Doom posted:

Same here in New Mexico. You can get any of those Mexican baked things at even Walmart.

That looks extremely gross and like if you allowed a 3 year old to design a treat

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Aesop Poprock posted:

That looks extremely gross and like if you allowed a 3 year old to design a treat

I've bought these. More than once.

Edit: I'm back in Mexico on Tuesday, I guess I'll just have to get some more. For this thread.

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Aug 29, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

I saw a couple of dudes eat one of these on a stream once. They struggled to find the words to describe it save "dry." I guess the toasting really makes it?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Don't feed a guy a Sponch!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

I saw a couple of dudes eat one of these on a stream once. They struggled to find the words to describe it save "dry." I guess the toasting really makes it?

Or microwaving. Toss a couple in on a plate and nuke for ~7 secs and they get all warm and gooey, also delicious

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Lizard Wizard posted:

Don't feed a guy a Sponch!

You fuckers are gonna get SPONCHED

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Fish Of Doom posted:

"Gentlemen, we need a name for our new cookie."

Doug looks up from his 1960s Batman comic. "Sir, I have an idea."

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ugh I'm gonna have to buy Sponch now.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I see Gansitos at 7-11 a lot, guess I should try them.

When Hostess briefly went away it created a foothold for Bimbo and other Latin American snack cake companies to fill the gap.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Those Sponch! things look kind of like every Australian's childhood favourite: the iced vovo

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
As long since promised, have a trip report of the dish known as Ottawa chip truck poutine.

This is the chip truck. It has been in this spot, every day from 7-5, for some 20 years. It's name is Lou's Poutine, which is funny because A. They don't just do poutine, and B, its run by a nice cambodian family. I sauntered up and ordered a small poutine, and a coke.

Just loving look at that, yes, that is food piorn (The anti is coming). Piping hot beef gravy, curds so fresh you can hear the squeek and crispy rear end fries, cooking in oil old enough to drink on both sides of the river. The first few bites, as always, were heaven. Rush of salty endorphins, and fat firing the tastebuds and neurons.

This is the mess, the last bite. It has cooler, the cheese is melted and stringy and flavourless. The fries soggy. Now each bite, is a leaden weight, causing sweats, feeling the inevitable corony incoming. My vision blurs, my speech slurred, a sodium headache forming. Shortly after the last bite, I lost conciousness. I awoke to paremedics clucking softly about yet another poutine coma.

EDIT: all joking aside, I ate this nearly 5 hours ago and I still havea headache.

bunnyofdoom has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Aug 30, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Bought some of those Gansitos cakes, they taste loving amazing and the chocolate has a slightly different taste (slightly bitter?) that makes it insanely better then Hostess brand cakes.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

Bought some of those Gansitos cakes, they taste loving amazing and the chocolate has a slightly different taste (slightly bitter?) that makes it insanely better then Hostess brand cakes.

Better than Hostess is a pretty low bar.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Danger Mahoney posted:

Better than Hostess is a pretty low bar.

Yeah, but sometimes it's all about the branding.

I mean come on, how wonderful is that?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gonna hazard a guess that it has something to do with sugar vs. HFCS

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Data Graham posted:

Gonna hazard a guess that it has something to do with sugar vs. HFCS

Nope. http://www.foodfacts.com/ci/nutritionfacts/Cupcakes/Marinela-Pinguinos-Creme-Filled-Chocolate-Cupcake-846-oz/71603

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Or maybe it doesn't have the literal barf flavoring that US chocolate has added.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Humboldt Squid posted:

Or maybe it doesn't have the literal barf flavoring that US chocolate has added.

isnt that just hersheys though

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Gansitos. Little sponge cake goodness wrapped in sweet, but slightly bitter, chocolate, with a jelly and cream filling. These little sons of bitches have 10% of your daily fat and carb intake, make up 30% of your saturated fat daily intake, and are jam-packed (ha get it) with 21 grams of sugar. Per individually wrapped cake.

These duckers (thanks autocorrect) are from the border of the U.S. and Mexico. This is the gas station level Ho-Ho, Zinger, Twinkie, Nutty Bar, Ding-Dong, Wing-Wang, Walla-Walla, and what have yous from my Mexican friends' childhood. The first time I had one of these was in high school, when my girlfriend's abuela would bring an 8 pack up from Chihuahua for her to snack on over the course of a week. I have eaten 8 today.

That's not a random picture off the internet. That's my stash. That's the result of finding a wrapper for one of these while I worked as a housekeeper, and having every memory of these heart-stopping, pancreas-destroying, foot-removing pillows of heaven come rushing back to me. Amazing ships 48 individually wrapped Gansitos anywhere in the world for 30 dollars.

They are worth it. They taste like the best goddamn Hostess treat you've ever had in your life. That feeling of elation when your mom let you grab a pack of Cosmic Brownies or Zebra Cakes at the store, the taste of a Lil Debbie or Mrs Freshleys snack cake from your youth, is not a fleeting touch of nostalgia. The Marinela snack cake company took the physical manifestation of those childhood whimsies, covered it in bittersweet chocolate and injected it full of fruit jelly, cream, and insulin blockers.

After 8 of these, I'm concerned for my well-being. If diabetes can be an emotion then I am fully loving feeling it. I'm as light headed as my first nicotine buzz, sneaking drags off cowboy killers behind the middle school because cigarettes still got me that momentary high. I still want another one.

These are a pure 10/10.

If there's any two pieces of advice I give you, AFP thread, it's 1. Buy an 8 pack of Gansitos off Amazon, and 2.

Always serve chilled.

I just want to say I read this post while stoned and it is absolutely killing me.

e: I have located them on Amazon

e2: wow this shipping is high

e3: yolo

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Aug 30, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Humboldt Squid posted:

Why on two fronts 1) Why does this exist 2) Why is it used in food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

RareAcumen posted:

Why on two fronts 1) Why does this exist 2) Why is it used in food

Depression Era spoilt milk being used in the recipe for necessity, people grew up getting used to the flavor so it's still used today because of inertia

• Locked thread