Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

tumblr.txt posted:

ban power tools
I can see why you'd be worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Wait what if we have a total prohibition on being crazy that could stop other problems too.

Careful you might cut someone with that edge.

Seriously tho other countries seem to have this poo poo down maybe you should look into it or something I dunno

vvvvv I don't even mean guns, just the "crazy people exist, can't do anything about that" angle

Elman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 29, 2015

lfield
May 10, 2008
It's not really fair to compare the USA to any other country on guns, because it, y'know, um. It's just not fair, is all.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

man i've got some great owns lined up for what i hypothesize anyone who disagreed with me might say, let me tell you. boy those guys are gonna regret they ever messed with this dude

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's funny that people think that firearms just exist to kill things. If I, in a mock exercise to improve my skill in aiming at the most vital parts of a living organism, deliberately point my firearm at a thing that can't die, then it doesn't kill anything!

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 29, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
lol that social justice wizards call the Avada Kedavra the killing curse. what if i like point it at a rock or something. checkmate liberals

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Raven, your recent posts read less to me like someone concerned for the safety of their family, and more like someone concerned about feeling like you are in control. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you knew for a fact, through some magic ability to see the future or something, that your daughter had three times the chance of getting killed by your guns than she did by a violent home invader, but the violent home invader scenario was still definitely possible, would you give up your guns, even knowing that as a result you'd have no offensive options at all should the home invasion happen?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also there's absolutely no one in this thread that wants to ban guns, and very few people in the country that do, so anyone who brings that up - stop being such a facetious rear end in a top hat.

Now if you want to talk about banning pistols or something fine, a couple people here seem like they'd be okay with that, but banning guns (implication: all guns), no.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

GlyphGryph posted:

Also there's absolutely no one in this thread that wants to ban guns, and very few people in the country that do, so anyone who brings that up - stop being such a facetious rear end in a top hat.

Now if you want to talk about banning pistols or something fine, a couple people here seem like they'd be okay with that, but banning guns (implication: all guns), no.

I would like to ban all guns

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Shoot anyone who owns a gun imo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

most people itt don't actually have a developed policy package because they have zero personal stake or experience in the subject matter, and therefore must claim ownership of third parties they can hope are conveniently absent and without independent voice in this conversation like "black people"

if you sneer about those dumb uneducated hicks who want to defend themselves from threats with guns and their internet-diagnosed mental issues but are all reverential about the sacred constitutional right to hunt whitetail you should probably go gently caress yourself

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Also please post the studies you are referencing so we can poke shoot them full of holes, thanks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Have we talked about Mark Ames / Going Postal yet?

http://www.alternet.org/story/24796/a_brief_history_of_rage,_murder_and_rebellion

The Republicans are actually right that this is a mental health issue at its core,

Homeboy links postal shootings, which were almost entirely about bosses treating people like poo poo (which is why most of the victims were the administrators and you got hilarious news footage of coworkers trying not to say "that fucker deserved it"), and Columbine, which was a literal psychopath and his depressed best friend trying to "top" Oklahoma City because did I mention one of them was a psychopath

I have a hard time putting a ton of faith into his thesis

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlyphGryph posted:

I think Fishmech actually does.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sometimes I like to sit on the porch and drink and shoot cans with a BB gun dont take my bb gun away thanks Obama

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think we're all better off pretending Fishmech didn't exist side from situations where we are deliberately pressing his buttons. To be honest I don't even recall him posting in this thread, probably a mental defense mechanism. I guess I was wrong.

In that case, they can argue against him particular so everyone else can ignore the exchange, instead of accusing everyone of falling into that bucket.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 29, 2015

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

joeburz posted:

Shoot anyone who owns a gun imo
With that same gun.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

I think Fishmech actually does.

Has fishmech posted in this thread yet? Are you confusing him with Effectronica?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

Sometimes I like to sit on the porch and drink and shoot cans with a BB gun dont take my bb gun away thanks Obama

Literally the worst. You don't even half the self defense argument on your side!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Who What Now posted:

Has fishmech posted in this thread yet?

He did on at least the first page.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I would also like to generally ban guns as an optimal solution, but am willing to compromise on laws similar to that of the gun fanboy paradise of Switzerland which they frequently invoke as evidence that guns can coexist with peaceful society, where for firearms ownership there is only the near-requirement of military service plus licensing and registration and mandatory training and testing both to purchase and to carry a specific type of firearm which cannot be carried loaded except in exceptional circumstances or carried with ammunition except in clear cases of present need.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Literally The Worst posted:

Homeboy links postal shootings, which were almost entirely about bosses treating people like poo poo (which is why most of the victims were the administrators and you got hilarious news footage of coworkers trying not to say "that fucker deserved it"), and Columbine, which was a literal psychopath and his depressed best friend trying to "top" Oklahoma City because did I mention one of them was a psychopath

I have a hard time putting a ton of faith into his thesis

i'm not hugely fond of his research methodology of equating Reaganomics to slavery 1:1 (lol), but the point is that certain kinds of environmental stress increasingly common to workplaces and schools alike will tend to set off susceptible people, and it does in fact seem probable that for every Dylan Kleibold there's dozens of latent psychopaths who don't ever meet the right conditions to send them on a killing spree rather than some people just being fated to murder from birth and coincidentally all hitting the same kinds of places in similar ways for no reason because lol psychos gonna psycho

the idea that this poo poo is purely the product of 'insanity' that comes out of nowhere like a random act of god is exactly the kind of thoughtless media brushoff the book's trying to refute, with inconsistent degrees of competence

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 29, 2015

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

tumblr.txt posted:

I have some bullets marked "not suitable for hunting". Like, the manufacturer is actually saying "no guys these are not meant for shooting animals, they will do a bad job, they were designed for targets and that's it".

How can this be??

Ok now, to demonstrate that these are not a threat, shoot yourself with one and get back to us with the results.

A gun is a weapon. It shoots pieces of metal. What the pieces of metal hit depends on the person firing it. This doesn't change the fact that the gun is designed to use that piece of metal to destroy the thing it is aimed at. When you're shooting at a target you're attempting to destroy that target. The only difference between hunting and target shooting is you're attempting to destroy an animal rather than a piece of paper. The gun doesn't take any part in butchering the animal or transporting it home. Its sole job was to kill the animal. Just because the box says that they're target rounds doesn't mean they still wouldn't loving suck getting shot with one. All you've done is chosen the target of destruction to be an inanimate object. Still doesn't change the fact that the gun's sole purpose is to destroy it.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Stretch Marx posted:

Ok now, to demonstrate that these are not a threat, shoot yourself with one and get back to us with the results.

A gun is a weapon. It shoots pieces of metal. What the pieces of metal hit depends on the person firing it. This doesn't change the fact that the gun is designed to use that piece of metal to destroy the thing it is aimed at. When you're shooting at a target you're attempting to destroy that target. The only difference between hunting and target shooting is you're attempting to destroy an animal rather than a noof paper. The gun doesn't take any part in butchering the animal or transporting it home. Its sole job was to kill the animal. Just because the box says that they're target rounds doesn't mean they still wouldn't loving suck getting shot with one. All you've done is chosen the target of destruction to be an inanimate object. Still doesn't change the fact that the gun's sole purpose is to destroy it.

They say not suitable for hunting because they are full metal jacket. FMJ bullets are usually restricted from being used in hunting due to over penetraion in the game animal and not causing enough of a wound cavity to humanely kill the animal quickly.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Stretch Marx posted:

A gun is a weapon. It shoots pieces of metal. What the pieces of metal hit depends on the person firing it. This doesn't change the fact that the gun is designed to use that piece of metal to destroy the thing it is aimed at. When you're shooting at a target you're attempting to destroy that target. The only difference between hunting and target shooting is you're attempting to destroy an animal rather than a piece of paper. The gun doesn't take any part in butchering the animal or transporting it home. Its sole job was to kill the animal. Just because the box says that they're target rounds doesn't mean they still wouldn't loving suck getting shot with one. All you've done is chosen the target of destruction to be an inanimate object. Still doesn't change the fact that the gun's sole purpose is to destroy it.

please have someone hit you in the face with a claw hammer as hard as they can a couple times and report back

i don't mean come up with a limply sarcastic snotty comeback for why you'll never do anything interesting I want you to literally do that, it'll be funny

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
No-one wants to "destroy" a paper target, because that means a long walk to put up another one. The aim is to put a small hole where you want it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you sneer about those dumb uneducated hicks who want to defend themselves from threats with guns and their internet-diagnosed mental issues but are all reverential about the sacred constitutional right to hunt whitetail you should probably go gently caress yourself

most oftehn these hicks are the biggest threat to themselves and i fully support their constitutionally protected right to defend themselves from any threat necessary

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
really though it's both funny and sad to me that people freak out about using guns for self defense when the suicide rate with firearms is substantially higher than the homicide rate with firearms. it's like they're cosmically aware they're bad and dangerous people

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

most oftehn these hicks are the biggest threat to themselves and i fully support their constitutionally protected right to defend themselves from any threat necessary

that's p much what democracy is yeah

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

really though it's both funny and sad to me that people freak out about using guns for self defense when the suicide rate with firearms is substantially higher than the homicide rate with firearms. it's like they're cosmically aware they're bad and dangerous people

I think you're lumping actual gun owners in with people who only buy a gun with the expressed purpose of shooting themselves with it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Stretch Marx posted:

You busybodies are so violent. It's probably why you think guns need to be controlled, because you would commit violence with them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

I think you're lumping actual gun owners in with people who only buy a gun with the expressed purpose of shooting themselves with it.

purchasing a gun generally makes one a gun owner, yes. i can explain the concept of 'ownership' to you if it would help

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

various cheeses posted:

those guys are gun owners, briefly

sort of a poor return on investment imo but whatevs

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

those guys are gun owners, briefly

sort of a poor return on investment imo but whatevs

extremely cost effective actually, they don't carry the gun around and risk shooting some innocent. they immediately identify the threat and take it out, and should be applauded for this economy of thought and action

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

extremely cost effective actually, they don't carry the gun around and risk shooting some innocent. they immediately identify the threat and take it out, and should be applauded for this economy of thought and action

yeah but you don't buy a truck every time you want to move some furniture, it's just sort of extravagant if you're only planning to use it the once

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Recently some owners have been using it on their family first.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wookums posted:

Recently some owners have been using it on their family first.

clearly the wives, uncles, children should also have guns. i know i don't sit down to eat at thanksgiving without my main and backup, just in case pop pop tries to start some poo poo - you can't be too careful these days

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

purchasing a gun generally makes one a gun owner, yes. i can explain the concept of 'ownership' to you if it would help

You're taking the actions of a bunch of suicidal people who become "gun owners" a day before they off themselves, then trying to pin it on regular people who have owned guns for years without event.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

You're taking the actions of a bunch of suicidal people who become "gun owners" a day before they off themselves, then trying to pin it on regular people who have owned guns for years without event.

cite some statistics or shut up

frankly i find your pathetic and laughable attempts to attack responsible gun owning americans' second amendment rights to self defense disgusting. shame on you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

You're also acting like a whiny bitch when I call you out on it.

• Locked thread