Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Preoptopus posted:

I have to say, Dodge Caravans and the like kept it real. 3 gauges. Temp, Speed, and Fuel. And thats it. What more do you need?

Cobalts kept it down to speed, tach, and fuel. You could scroll through the various displays to show engine temp, and it would show a message if the engine overheated (and start dinging). I have its cousin, the Ion, but I actually have a semi-real temp gauge in mine (it still starts dinging if the engine gets hot, but just flashes "CHK GAGES" on the odometer display). The dinging is actually kind of nice to have IMO, I only glance at the cluster occasionally to check my speed if I'm the only car on the road, or to look at the fuel gauge if I know I'm getting low.

I can see the need for the tach if you opt for the manual version, but the majority are automatic. And the tach on the GM Delta cars is laggy as poo poo, I've bounced off the rev limiter when the tach was still 1000 RPM away from the red marks (so 1250 away from the rev limiter), it took a moment for it to catch up. I've learned to ignore the tach if I'm trying to haul rear end in 1st gear.

Friend had a base model Neon that had the Caravan style gauges, but it was a manual. Made for a fun "what the gently caress RPM is the engine at?!" game, though at least it had an upshift light. And a rev limiter than I bounced off of a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

though at least it had an upshift light

Was it actually useful, or was it the typical "whoa there buddy, we're approaching 1500 RPMs...might want to think about shifting" upshift light?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Powershift posted:

It really is beautiful, but only thing that bothered me is that in high def, in the crowd scenes you can clearly see where the real crowd stops and the CGI crowd begins.

Which isn't that big of a deal because i'm sure the CGI team was just 1 guy locked in a room somewhere while the rest of the movie was being made with real stuff.

It is amazing. Really is perfect in every way.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Cobalts kept it down to speed, tach, and fuel. You could scroll through the various displays to show engine temp, and it would show a message if the engine overheated (and start dinging). I have its cousin, the Ion, but I actually have a semi-real temp gauge in mine (it still starts dinging if the engine gets hot, but just flashes "CHK GAGES" on the odometer display). The dinging is actually kind of nice to have IMO, I only glance at the cluster occasionally to check my speed if I'm the only car on the road, or to look at the fuel gauge if I know I'm getting low.

I can see the need for the tach if you opt for the manual version, but the majority are automatic. And the tach on the GM Delta cars is laggy as poo poo, I've bounced off the rev limiter when the tach was still 1000 RPM away from the red marks (so 1250 away from the rev limiter), it took a moment for it to catch up. I've learned to ignore the tach if I'm trying to haul rear end in 1st gear.

Friend had a base model Neon that had the Caravan style gauges, but it was a manual. Made for a fun "what the gently caress RPM is the engine at?!" game, though at least it had an upshift light. And a rev limiter than I bounced off of a few times.

Speak for yourself, mine had a boost gauge. :hist101:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

Was it actually useful, or was it the typical "whoa there buddy, we're approaching 1500 RPMs...might want to think about shifting" upshift light?

On his, it really was useful. Seemed like it would come on around 2500-3500 if you were actually trying to stay with traffic; it would come on just before you slammed into the rev limiter if you stomped on it.

The one on my car is more of the "oh god we're about to break 1500 RPM!" type, but at least I have a tach. And a loose heat shield on the cat that rattles like hell if you shift too low, it sounds like a bunch of skeletons having an orgy in a filing cabinet under the car if you lug the engine. I actually tried to follow the advice of the shift light for a week, then it threw a code for a bad catalytic converter at me. Been driving it like I hate it ever since (this happened almost 60k ago) and the code hasn't come back. Though mine doesn't come on at all if I stomp it, even if I whack the rev limiter (which is stupid easy to do thanks to the laggy as hell tach).

My upshift light has actually come on in reverse :haw: - I thought that was pretty drat funny. I was doing FWD donuts in an empty snow-covered parking lot. Also popped a CEL the same day, but that was for the thermostat (which I finally replaced this week).

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Speak for yourself, mine had a boost gauge. :hist101:

But no splash guards. :saddowns:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 29, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Anyone planning to go to the San Diego Festival of Sail next weekend? I'm going to go and waste lots of money sailing multiple times per day as well as in the parade of sail on Friday and would be down for meeting up with anyone else who is going to be around sometime during the weekend.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Wohoo, joined the laid off crowd again today! Maybe I'll get something done on my project finally.

On the plus side my severance made me debt free. On the down side of course I have no income and basically 2 months salary in the bank before I dip back into credit again.

gently caress.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

Wohoo, joined the laid off crowd again today! Maybe I'll get something done on my project finally.

On the plus side my severance made me debt free. On the down side of course I have no income and basically 2 months salary in the bank before I dip back into credit again.

gently caress.

What sort of work are you looking for, and where?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Defeated. I can't get the filter canister off. And nobody is open that will have channel locks big enough to grasp this loving thing.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Rhyno posted:

Defeated. I can't get the filter canister off. And nobody is open that will have channel locks big enough to grasp this loving thing.

Punch a screwdriver through both sides and twist off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

Punch a screwdriver through both sides and twist off.

Cartridge filter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Cartridge filter.

do it anyways. :frogon:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It feels weird just standing out of the way while three strapping young lads do all the hard work packing my house.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Strapping young lads, you say?

As long as they're at least 20, feel free to send them my way when they're done. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

do it anyways. :frogon:

I might have thrown a wrench which bounced off the wall and hit the car.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Rhyno posted:

Cartridge filter.
You poor bastard. You might as well order another housing because you know it's going to break that plastic nut thing on top when you apply torque to it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

.... my filters can actually be ordered with a new cap on both Amazon and Rockauto. Adds something like $2.

And yeah, have fun with the cap. I broke down and dropped :10bux: on the proper socket for mine, and the cap is still starting to show stress fractures (I mean, it's only 10 years old with 120k, why would it show any signs of wear? :shepicide:). I'll probably go ahead and order a new OEM filter + cap soon instead of snagging a (also OEM) filter from Wal-Mart.

e: damnit. my aquarium light finally burned out. I was trying to remove the plug from the tube so I could figure out what tube to order (it's a Coralife 65W fixture), and the pins snapped off of the plug. :argh: It has just bare wires sticking out of the plug now. Not something fun to play with when you're dealing with high wattage fluorescent bulbs.

A new tube is $35, and supposedly lasts 1 year (I got nearly 7 years out of this tube). A new LED fixture is $40. Won't be as bright, but the 65W was overkill anyway, and the new LED fixture comes with a new hood. That was $40 I didn't really want to spend, but the tank has been dark for over a week now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 29, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Interesting drive home. First:

I was driving along, and completely randomly decided to see what I could reach behind the driver's seat while driving, say in case I had to grab the second extinguisher (both ACVWs have two extinguishers each, just in case), and I found this little lock-pop:

(cat paw, and 12 inch tile, for scale)

Looks like it was custom-bent from parking lot detritus specifically to get the bug's front lock from the rear pop-out. Not happy about where our ambulance station is located at (surrounded on all four sides by section 8 housing in Mesa).

Second:

As I was coming north on 16th street, up from Thomas towards Osborn, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l0zFVRrTKs

The reason I pulled over was 50% a tiny bit shaken (he came out of NOWHERE and I had been cruising unstopped at 35 for nearly 10 miles) and 50% there was a full lights-and-siren cop right behind him. Half a mile later 3 more DPS units with lights and sirens sped past going the other direction

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

UGGGHHHHHH I let the reservoir run dry while bleeding my back brakes after babby's first rebuild. Ughhhh. :negative:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
In between finding roads to drive like a lunatic on, I read a few good old fashioned books while sitting here...

I cant remember the last time I found an empty beach, sat and read for hours.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
When i came here yesterday to tell you the good news i was afraid to interrupt dickchat. so i waited and got drunk instead.

yesterday, august 28th at 1335 hours, the year of our lord 2015 i was declared cancer free. there is no evidence of mutation anywhere in my body. i am done....
76 doses of chemo, 6 surgeries and 184 radiation treatments is behind me...

(not really behind me, i am starting a 12 week aggressive chemo course to make sure in 4 weeks)

i hosed cancer in the rear end, and it gave in before me..

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Oh hells yeahs that's excellent news.

Curb stomp that bastard once more for good measure and then drive off into the sunset in you P85D.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fjelltorsk posted:

Well done. Congratulations!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

fjelltorsk posted:

That's awesome man, congratulations on making cancer your bitch

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Awsome news fjelltorsk!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah kick that cancer's rear end. When you're done go across the hall and kick the other guy's cancer's rear end too.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

gratulerer, bror :D

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Thats awesome news tennis ball man!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

fjelltorsk posted:

Hooray! :toot:

Proof positive that with a good attitude and the right help at the right time you can overcome some pretty long odds.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

yesterday, august 28th at 1335 hours, the year of our lord 2015 i was declared cancer free.

The best post. Congratulations! Woo! :toot:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

fjelltorsk posted:

yesterday, august 28th at 1335 hours, the year of our lord 2015 i was declared cancer free. there is no evidence of mutation anywhere in my body. i am done....

(not really behind me, i am starting a 12 week aggressive chemo course to make sure in 4 weeks)

From another internet dude on the other side of the world :hellyeah: there can no longer be f*ck2015 gifs due to this singular post.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fjelltorsk posted:

I'd say you loving deserve a clean bill of health if only for enduring this lot. Impressive. Congratulations, I bet your family is over the moon.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Dropped my off car downtown to get tinted and saw my uncle smoking a cigar on the corner outside the Italian bakery. Now I am drinking coffee with a bunch of old mobsters.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Also, LOL at my new avatar.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Strapping young lads, you say?

As long as they're at least 20, feel free to send them my way when they're done. :v:

Make sure you tell Devin Townsend to crawl out of his own rear end in a top hat and make up for Z2.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well we're moved in, it's utter loving chaos, we can't find anything and everyone's knackered, but the beds are built, there's food in the oven. Time to start planning a work bench then build it with my son.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Also, LOL at my new avatar.

:golfclap:

Cakefool posted:

Well we're moved in, it's utter loving chaos, we can't find anything and everyone's knackered, but the beds are built, there's food in the oven. Time to start planning a work bench then build it with my son.

Congrats on your new home. If you are like me, you should finish unpacking in about 10 years. :v:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Cakefool posted:

What is your skill level? I had no prior skill in wood anything and I put this together with really crappy Home Depot/lowes wood and it turned out great. Also check out the wood working thread in DIY if you want suggestions and tips!

http://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/workbench/how-to-build-a-workbench-super-simple-50-bench/view-all

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

El Jebus posted:

What is your skill level? I had no prior skill in wood anything and I put this together with really crappy Home Depot/lowes wood and it turned out great. Also check out the wood working thread in DIY if you want suggestions and tips!

http://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/workbench/how-to-build-a-workbench-super-simple-50-bench/view-all

Low, I fly through flat pack, have modified and fitted kitchens, re-timbered a trailer etc but I've no idea about wood selection, own 1 basic combi plane and don't know how to sharpen it. I'd like to make a gocart with my kids and start with some basic bookshelves. I also follow the woodworking thread religiously and a few carpentry YouTube shows. My dad's also competent and my younger brother is a fully fledged cabinetmaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

fjelltorsk posted:

I'm a bit late, but congrats man! That's fantastic!

• Locked thread