Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I just got an Achievement in Whoa, Dave! for typing POO as my initials :nexus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I only just found out (the hard way :saddowns:) that in Chrono Trigger, similar to Lavos, if you die against Magus a little cutscene plays where he turns around and Lavos' scream sound effect thing plays.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Starhawk64 posted:

I love the little dioramas for 3DS titles. Ace Combat's is literally just a model of an F-22 in packaging, for example.

And they spin real fast if you blow hard on the mic.

When I first bought my 3DS, I had no idea what made them spin, and I played it on a bus with the window open. Looked at the game's diorama, the thing was loving spinning like a propeller, and I had no idea why.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I thought it was motion, cue me frantically shaking the thing like an idiot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The Sims 3: Every NPC is an actual sim that you can continue to work with after they do their thing. In particular say... thieves. Nothing like bumping into someone who robbed you in the middle of the city and beating the poo poo out of them for it. Or that loving mailman that just throws your mail on the floor.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Sims 4 had a troubled release and fumbled some stuff but as somebody who loves to play virtual dress-up and also create the worst monstrosities possible I love that they made it so easy to completely break open the character creator and how well the system adapts to your horrible creations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TamwFUUd9Yk

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Barnacle Sim?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
This may not count as a little thing, as it was completely random. I started playing CK2 again, and used the ruler creator to make a genius diplomat that also happened to have the lunatic trait. I was just kinda chugging along as Mercia with my awesome first ruler, making Wales my bitch, but hadn't produced an heir with my mediocre wife yet. Fortunately, the game decided to turn me into a werewolf. Every once in a while, I'd get an event sequence where I lost it during a full moon, though usually I'd just howl myself hoarse or kill a cow or something. The sequence fired up again, and this time the victim was my wife. Remarried an attractive, lustful, genius strategist who came with a pretty awesome alliance, and she started pumping out genius sons almost immediately. After a few years, Jesus himself started giving my guy combat advice, and I was able to found the kingdom of England and go down in history as the greatest werewolf who ever lived. The sheer strangeness of this game is the best thing ever. It's a shame the Lunatic trait can't be passed down, I want to create an entire dynasty of werewolves.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Aug 25, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Dang. The rule is "Always Be Stabbin", I know, but you generally don't use fangs and claws.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Crow Jane posted:

This may not count as a little thing, as it was completely random. I started playing CK2 again, and used the ruler creator to make a genius diplomat that also happened to have the lunatic trait. I was just kinda chugging along as Mercia with my awesome first ruler, making Wales my bitch, but hadn't produced an heir with my mediocre wife yet. Fortunately, the game decided to turn me into a werewolf. Every once in a while, I'd get an event sequence where I lost it during a full moon, though usually I'd just howl myself hoarse or kill a cow or something. The sequence fired up again, and this time the victim was my wife. Remarried an attractive, lustful, genius strategist who came with a pretty awesome alliance, and she started pumping out genius sons almost immediately. After a few years, Jesus himself started giving my guy combat advice, and I was able to found the kingdom of England and go down in history as the greatest werewolf who ever lived. The sheer strangeness of this game is the best thing ever. It's a shame the Lunatic trait can't be passed down, I want to create an entire dynasty of werewolves.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Fortunately, the game decided to turn me into a werewolf.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Jesus himself started giving my guy combat advice

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This is a small one, but I've always appreciated FPS games that give the multiplayer maps some kind of narrative reason to exist. Halo Reach went a little bit too far, I think, in making the maps places you actually visited over the course of the single-player campaign, but most of the otehr games in the series have a paragraph or two saying "Oh yes, this map is on the gas planet sky station, and is part of the refinery" or "this pair of bases in a box canyon was originally built for training exercises, but became a stronghold when the enemy arrive".

I just always appreciate when multiplayer doesn't feel compeltely divorced from single player.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
That Battlefield stopped doing that was a real turnoff, though I never realized how important it was before it was gone. It really helps to have a have a reason, however small, for shooting all the anonymous enemy mans.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way Team Fortress 2 accomplishes this, by establishing in canon that both teams are fighting each other over completely pointless gigantic mounds of gravel as a way for their companies' heads to continue their petty land squabble well into their hundreds-of-years-of-age, is great.

edit: Well the latter is not the case anymore because red and blu were sent literally to hell via creative use of minecarts last halloween but whatever the point is it gives Valve leeway to establish map stories as whatever the hell they want and it's hilarious.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The way Team Fortress 2 accomplishes this, by establishing in canon that both teams are fighting each other over completely pointless gigantic mounds of gravel as a way for their companies' heads to continue their petty land squabble well into their hundreds-of-years-of-age, is great.

edit: Well the latter is not the case anymore because red and blu were sent literally to hell via creative use of minecarts last halloween but whatever the point is it gives Valve leeway to establish map stories as whatever the hell they want and it's hilarious.
Huh. Team Fortress 2 got really weird since I stopped playing it in like 2009.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Do you remember piss being a weapon the last time you played the game?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Even though it's aggressively inconsequential all of the made-up bullshit to give the setting and characters "context" is loving insane.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I've been enjoying the new Shadowrun Hong Kong RPG, and been rolling with a melee class. In the first level you get ambushed by snipers and have to stay in cover while clearing a street on your way out. Since I'd never played the melee specific stuff before, I didn't really know what I was doing. I managed to get my dumbass killed while punching out a low level enforcer who was in my way. Achievement unlocked: Welcome to the Shadows. Description: Die in the first mission.

t:newlol:t well gently caress you too Harebrained Schemes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

All of the trophies for Danganronpa are references to movies - except for two that are parodies of the titles of the Zero Escape games.

(Dragging this game down: I only know that from a random check of my trophies list, and apparently I'm missing a shitload of Vita trophies for some unknown reason.)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

All of the trophies for Danganronpa are references to movies - except for two that are parodies of the titles of the Zero Escape games.

(Dragging this game down: I only know that from a random check of my trophies list, and apparently I'm missing a shitload of Vita trophies for some unknown reason.)

Not completely true, some are also song lyrics.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

I just played LA Noire for the first time and I liked in the mission where the electroplating factory explodes, the mayor is on the scene giving a interview in front of a television camera. After he finishes, he asks the reporter how he did and the reporter says, pretty good I think, no one has ever really done this kind of thing before.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

I love how in Far Cry 4 that when you do Yogi and Reggie's missions, at the beginning the colours are hosed and the music is blaring, and as you progress the colours get less and less weird and the music fades out, i.e. coming down.

I also love how it hurts my eyes a lot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shadowrun Hong Kong:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chard posted:

well that just saved us about 300 posts

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Alaois posted:

well that just saved us about 300 posts

I think you'll find it to be an entire game of little things and therefore must be listed in full detail.

(I got a free key and don't know a single thing about MGS so I'm looking forward to some hours of being confused and then never actually finishing it.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chard posted:

The phantom pain is Snake's arthritis, right?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
My favorite little thing about Phantom Pain is that Quiet's ripped pantyhose are almost identical to how Eva's stockings looked after she got zapped by Volgin in 3. The dude isn't even subtle about his fetishes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

The phantom pain is Snake's arthritis, right?

Specifically located in his cyborg arm

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Sleeveless posted:

My favorite little thing about Phantom Pain is that Quiet's ripped pantyhose are almost identical to how Eva's stockings looked after she got zapped by Volgin in 3. The dude isn't even subtle about his fetishes.

Whatever gets lord Kojima off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

hell, same.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sleeveless posted:

You've been paying a lot of attention to ripped pantyhoses and stockings it seems, I'm glad we have experts on the field doing in-depth comparisons on these things because I highly doubt I would've noticed that particular connection myself. Keep up the good work.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

So, has Kojima finally made good on his promise to make us "ashamed of our words and deeds"?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The last good mgs game was snake eater

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

oldpainless posted:

Oh gently caress off.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Was this before or after Revengeance because that's the best Metal Gear and also the only one I played?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Was this before or after Revengeance because that's the best Metal Gear and also the only one I played?

Revengeance isn't a Metal Gear Solid. Even before it was given to Platinum it was a different title entirely, Metal Gear Rising. Kojima also had little to no input on the thing.

It also looks to be the only non-Kojima Metal Gear that Kojima himself seems to consider canon, judging by its treatment in the Ground Zeroes bonus missions. It says a lot that he lets Revengeance sit right next to Snatcher in one of them.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Aug 29, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I remember at least one article where someone asked Kojima his opinion on Revengeance and his reply was basically a three-minute long squeal of joy.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

I just got an Achievement in Whoa, Dave! for typing POO as my initials :nexus:

Will you get another for typing rear end as your initials? :butt:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Perestroika posted:

So, has Kojima finally made good on his promise to make us "ashamed of our words and deeds"?

Well to quote one review

quote:

The justification for her dress sense is so stupid I’m sure a bit of brain fluid leaked from my ear, which is disappointing when the game’s creator, Hideo Kojima, made some bold claims about the reasoning.

Was anyone really expecting anything less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm fairly certain in that tweet he meant "you" as in you playing as Big Boss, not you as in the real life person saying Quiet's outfit is stupid. But this is not the thread to bring up that dumb loving discussion for the ten thousandth time so I will not do that. Instead I will say: You can make horses poop whenever you feel like it. It is good.

edit: Wow I actually read that review and god drat that is one hyperbolic dude