Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

when you think about it, in reality we're all just touching electromagnetic fields, man.

yeah, this. you only need to use replicated material if there's a likelihood that you could eclipse the forcefield from its projector. otherwise every single texture, taste and even smell, and even stuff like mass and hardness and moisture is all doable with precise enough control over EM fields at an arbitrary distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

EvilTaytoMan posted:

If Worf were any good he'd make programmes based on his Japanese animes Klingon operas.

Well on DS9 Worf had a holosuite program where he played a Klingon emperor with 10,000 warriors conquering a city and then slaughtering all the inhabitants, including all the women and children. That's pretty badass.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I wonder if there was a holodeck programme that was their equivalent to an MMO? Like playing with people from different ships/nearby bases within a few lightyears of eachother. I guess it would depend on how subspace communication works exactly.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I wonder if there was a holodeck programme that was their equivalent to an MMO? Like playing with people from different ships/nearby bases within a few lightyears of eachother. I guess it would depend on how subspace communication works exactly.

400 years of technological progress and still complaining about lag.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

EvilTaytoMan posted:

This is what 95% of the people on Earth are doing at any given time in the Star Trek universe.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

EvilTaytoMan posted:

They all play Wold of Borg and not one of them appreciate the irony.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i think you have a bad imagination too, b/c ds9 correctly handles holodecks by starting from the position that they are almost exclusively for crazy sex simulations and even mentioning a holodeck in polite company is a faux pas

Like that time they had that massive 20+ person orgy with Sisko's rival Vulcan Captain and his crew, or the time the legendary Klingon Warrior who was 200 years old by that point, hosed hundreds of people in a recreation of one of the great historical orgies of the Klingon Empire.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
You can buy a fully accurate T'Pol on the holoprogram black market.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Germstore posted:

sold

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
How come it took me over 20 years to notice that Betazoid eyes are black? I remember the Voyager murderer betazoid had them but I thought it was just him having crazyeyes.

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Germstore posted:

Remember that episode of tng where Barclay made copies of the crew in the holodeck and got caught?

Everyone is horrified except Riker

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

In case you guys didnt know, they recently put the HD version of TNG on Netflix. Its stupendous.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

CaptainQuirk posted:

Remember that episode of tng where Barclay made copies of the crew in the holodeck and got caught?

Everyone is horrified except Riker

Geordi is just feigning horror. In his head he's taking notes.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Gutcruncher posted:

In case you guys didnt know, they recently put the HD version of TNG on Netflix. Its stupendous.

I hope it doesn't go on the UK Netflix for a while since I already paid £300 for the Blu rays

\/\/\/ Thank the lord of post-purchase rationalisation

Fucked-Up Little Dog fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 28, 2015

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Wowbagger2004 posted:

I hope it doesn't go on the UK Netflix for a while since I already paid £300 for the Blu rays

If it makes you feel better, it still looks better on Bluray as far as I can tell.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kenzie posted:

Well on DS9 Worf had a holosuite program where he played a Klingon emperor with 10,000 warriors conquering a city and then slaughtering all the inhabitants, including all the women and children. That's pretty badass.

You'd be a fool to leave klingon women and children alive tho. Every one of those brats is going to swear revenge as soon as they are big enough to hold a batleth.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Delsaber posted:

Geordie can smell a pilfered inept seduction-tolerance algorithm from across the neutral zone.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Delsaber posted:

Did it happen before or after his holodeck gf?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kenzie posted:

If you aren't guilty of this crime, then how come you enjoy playing Grand Theft Auto V in your spare time?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Amazon Studios is developing a TV show based on Galaxy Quest

So clearly people capable of market research in 2015 know that there is a market for nostaligic episodic SciFi ships n' spacesuits TV. Fuckin' Paramount and their teletype machines and mimeographs don't have a clue what people want and are going to put out something soft boiled by around 2042. Probably "Captain Worf's Grandson, Ensign Mogh Brought To you By Norinco Diet Cola Flavor Clean Water Brands with 50% Less Lead"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

shadow puppet of a posted:

So clearly people capable of market research in 2015 know that there is a market for nostaligic episodic SciFi ships n' spacesuits TV. Fuckin' Paramount and their teletype machines and mimeographs don't have a clue what people want and are going to put out something soft boiled by around 2042. Probably "Captain Worf's Grandson, Ensign Mogh Brought To you By Norinco Diet Cola Flavor Clean Water Brands with 50% Less Lead"

I hope I'm still alive to watch this, especially if it stars Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho as Mogh. In fact, they should probably put his name in the title.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yahoo also got on-board with Other Space, featuring that hot girl from the AT&T commercials.

It gets really bad as the season goes on and Paul Feig the creator is clearly angling for Dan Harmon without being anywhere as good as Dan Harmon--and I say that as someone who got bored of Community after Season One and is lukewarm on Rick and Morty--but is definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of ships n' suits sci-fi.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 29, 2015

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

By 2042 television will be long dead. We'll all be vegetables plugged into sci-fi ships 'n' spacesuits BTL chips by then.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

chaosbreather posted:

yeah, this. you only need to use replicated material if there's a likelihood that you could eclipse the forcefield from its projector. otherwise every single texture, taste and even smell, and even stuff like mass and hardness and moisture is all doable with precise enough control over EM fields at an arbitrary distance

It can simulate smells, but can it simulate stank?

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

When the wig department is offended by the re-gifted gift basket you left for them with the old name card still attached.

You get to wear the Curly Muskrat for a few episodes.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 29, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea7bj5MsyAU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

:3:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

This is how he catches most of his female prey

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kahless channeling Ryback in that "We are Klingons!" chant was one of the cringeyest moments outside of Geordie romance subplots.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

it really comes through how much fun the tng actors had on set and how they were all genuinely good friends irl :3:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Avery Brooks was standoffish and everyone else on the ds9 set was fuckin'

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

and everyone else on the ds9 set was fuckin'

Stagehands say that if you heard latex on latex squeaks coming from Quark's and Rom's dressing room, don't go in.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 29, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Luigi Thirty posted:

Avery Brooks was standoffish and everyone else on the ds9 set was fuckin'

ive heard rumours that avery brooks got nana visitor pregnant but she didnt keep it, and then later her n alexander siddig got together and had a kid et al, but ive never been able to find a source for it so ive assumed it wasnt true

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
imdb says terry farrell and michael dorn dated irl, which is news to me

everybody on that show was fuckin

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Tyrannosword posted:

Going back a few pages to the whole "This is how they'd fight a war!" thing, was there ever any documented use of the transporters as weapons? Seems to me you could do a lot of damage with those - beaming explosives directly into the enemy's chest cavity, for example, or just locking onto an enemy, converting their matter into energy and beaming that energy wholesale into the middle of an enemy ship for maximum explosive fun (there must be a whole lot of energy buried in the atoms of a humanoid body). You could literally use enemy soldiers as ammunition to blow up their comrades!

Not really the Federation's style, admittedly, but wouldn't the Romulans and Cardassians at least attempt that sort of thing?

Sorry to interrupt cannibal-pedo talk, by the way :ohdear:

They did that on Stargate SG-1/Atlantis, by the way. The Asgard put a limit on the technology to avoid such things, but the resident Asgard disabled them so they could just beam a loving shitload of nukes directly onto enemy ships. It was hilarious for part of an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Entropic posted:

Because that's what falling is. Drop something in a vacuum chamber in earth-standard gravity and it will accelerate at 9.8 m/s^2 downward.

Normally something in a gravity well only gets to accelerate so much beause a) with atmospheric resistance it will eventually reach terminal velocity and b) it will eventually hit the ground. Droping something in a vacuum eliminates a) and if transporters conserve momentum you can eliminate b)

Haven't you ever played Portal and put one portal on the ceiling and the other just below it on the floor and jumped in?

Oh I thought you were talking about on a space ship.

Yeah I guess instantaneous transportation would break quite a few important laws of physics!

• Locked thread