Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

nickutz posted:

My share of the rent is 575, so after I hit the sign up bonus I would switch back to my bank bill pay.

edit: Or I could cover the whole rent at 1150 but then I imagine the fee doubles with it.

Unless your lease says otherwise, I believe most places that charge a fee that way, it's a flat fee per transaction. Like, if you and your roommate each paid your share via card, you'd both pay the $17, but if one of you pays the entire rent, it's probably only $17 unless they do % fees, or again, state otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Dustoph posted:

Unless your lease says otherwise, I believe most places that charge a fee that way, it's a flat fee per transaction. Like, if you and your roommate each paid your share via card, you'd both pay the $17, but if one of you pays the entire rent, it's probably only $17 unless they do % fees, or again, state otherwise.

I was thinking that it's probably a 3% fee, since $575 * .03 = $17.25, in which case, little incentive to pay the whole thing. Certainly worth asking though.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
plastiq.com is a service that will take your credit card payment and send your landlord a check for a 2.5% fee. There's also Radpad.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Applied and got approval for citi double cash with a 5k limit. That seems crazy to me - it more than doubled my credit limit across my other two cards.

Time to get marginally more cash back! Really I wanted an EMV card that wasn't discover to use in Canada - yea I know it has a ftf but I figure this one trip to Canada I'm going to use as an 'in case' and get some $CAN to use, and then I'll have a 2% cb card for things discover doesn't have on category and aren't on the 5% for Sallie Mae card.

The amount they gave me as a line of credit just seems astounding though. It's definitely going to make my utilization plummet. Would that drop my score significantly? (Not trying to game my score, just curious how it would impact it)

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Massasoit posted:

The amount they gave me as a line of credit just seems astounding though. It's definitely going to make my utilization plummet. Would that drop my score significantly? (Not trying to game my score, just curious how it would impact it)

No, the opposite. High utilization is seen as a risk factor; thus, low utilization is seen as responsible use. If you are currently above 30% utilization, your FICO scores will almost certainly go up.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a point where too low of utilization will negatively impact score? My utilization is probably around 20% currently, and will drop to around 10% or so with the new card (no change in purchasing with card, just which card I will be using)

I thought you didn't want too high or too low of utilization.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Massasoit posted:

Is there a point where too low of utilization will negatively impact score? My utilization is probably around 20% currently, and will drop to around 10% or so with the new card (no change in purchasing with card, just which card I will be using)

I thought you didn't want too high or too low of utilization.

You definitely don't want too high of a utilization. The only "too low" is 0%, which looks to lenders - and perhaps to FICO's scoring model - that you are not even using the credit line, which does not count as "responsibly using credit", which is what FICO attempts to score. If you are not paying off your cards before the statement cuts, they are reporting a balance (even if you pay it in full before the due date), and that balance is what counts in FICO's scoring model. If that balance is greater than about 30%, your score is impacted negatively.

I have had my FICO scores go up after I used a card that had reported $0 balance for several months, but even reporting a $0 balance for a month or two won't negatively impact your FICO scores.

All you really need to worry about is using your credit responsibly. If you use credit responsibly, your FICO scores will reflect that.

Short answer: no, even a 1% utilization will not negatively impact your scores.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Awesome, thanks!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I was able to get a EMV debit card at my local Chase bank. So, for those of you who are like me and have been waiting over a decade for this service, you can get one.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Heads up, the American Express Platinum Card 100,000 MR points offer for $3K in spending is available to everyone for some period of time. This is considered one of the best credit card offers, period, and is generally only available to people magically picked by the Amex fairy.

Open an incognito window and go to https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/platinum/. If you don't see the "Special Offer for You" for 100K, close the incognito window (this part is important) and try again.

If you have ever held an Amex Platinum card, you are not eligible for the bonus. The annual fee ($450) is not waived. You are getting at least $1000 worth of points (and potentially much much much more if you transfer them to a partner for travel) for $450, plus some lounge access, free Global Entry or TSA Precheck enrollment, $200 in airline fee credit in 2015 and another $200 in 2016, AND the 100K MR points for your fee.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Same offer in Australia but with the $1200 annual fee. Only 80k points in NZ which is their standard offer for $1250. NZ MR points aren't as good as Australia. The fees are murder here.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

spatula posted:

plastiq.com is a service that will take your credit card payment and send your landlord a check for a 2.5% fee. There's also Radpad.

Thanks for the head's up. Being able to pay rent via CC has given me an idea. Possibly a bad idea, but an idea.

Background: My SO will be living across the country (LA to DC) from me for +/- a year. Previously, I had not given much thought to airline miles, but I have consequently become more interested. I obtained a Chase Sapphire Preferred card and got the initial 3k/3 month bonus, and will be working on obtaining the front loaded bonus on a Barclaycard ArrivalPlus I just got.

I'm thinking that if I'm able to pay my rent & utilities with a CC (albeit for a fee) that I could potentially fulfill the front loaded sign up bonuses on several airline branded credit cards in a much shorter period of time then I thought. This would allow me to, potentially, do most of my traveling via rewards points. I don't care about annual fees, since I only need to maximize my miles/points/whatevers for a year, and then cancel or convert them all of the fee-carrying cards into standard ones.

I am unsure if this is a great idea in terms of my credit score; I have pretty good credit and no plans on taking on applying for any sort of loan in the next few years, but sometimes plans change. Will applying for like 6-10 credit cards over the course of a year (or all at once I guess) have the potential to negatively impact me, beyond the hassle of keeping track of everything?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

DeceasedHorse posted:

Will applying for like 6-10 credit cards over the course of a year (or all at once I guess) have the potential to negatively impact me, beyond the hassle of keeping track of everything?

Yes. Your Average Age of Accounts will get shorter, which will drop your FICO scores; your credit utilization will go down, which will raise your FICO scores; hard inquiries, which indicate credit-seeking behavior, will drop your FICO scores. Where you will wind up in the end, well, there is only one way to find out.

I have opened eight new credit cards in the last six months, and my FICO scores are probably down about 20 points, but that coincided with a really big hit (~50 points) of closing an older car loan to refinance it. Average Age of Accounts is where you'll take the big hit, but it all recovers with time. (I have excellent credit; if you do not, the impact will be greater, percentage-wise.)

In short, I wouldn't really sweat it, but start slowly and see how it goes. Credit Karma is your friend; you can update your TU & EQ VantageScores every seven days, for free, just by having an account.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
As long as you don't ever miss payments, applying for lots of credit cards really isn't that bad for your credit score in my experience (790 when I started hitting those signup bonuses hard, and it's still always been hanging out between 720-780). I've had roughly 10 new cards in the past 2 years, with the vast majority this past year. The lowest it dipped was when I got 2 cards in 2 weeks and it seems to rebound back quite a bit after 90 days.

I've made lots of rewards, but I barely know what I'm doing as far as getting the maximum value out of miles and points. It will probably be better for you since you seem to have a specific plan.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Just as a counterpoint, here's my activity since I applied for my first credit card last year:

Chase Sapphire Preferred (approved 2/14)
    Chase Southwest Plus (approved 8/14)
    Amex PRG (approved 1/15)
    City AA Plat Select (approved 1/15)
    Barclay US Air (approved 1/15, now Aviator)
    Barclay US Air #2 (denied 3/15))
    BofA Alaska (approved 4/15)
    Chase IHG (approved 4/15)
    Chase Freedom (denied (6/15))
    Amex Everyday (7/15)
    BofA Alaska #2 (approved 7/15)
    Citi Hilton Signature (approved 7/15)

I've also been added as an AU on a couple of my wife's cards, and I intend to apply for a few more in Nov/Dec.

The thing to remember is to start slow. Don't apply to three cards at once. Apply to one, meet the minimum spend, then apply to cards #2 and #3, etc.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

Just as a counterpoint, here's my activity since I applied for my first credit card last year:

Chase Sapphire Preferred (approved 2/14)
    Chase Southwest Plus (approved 8/14)
    Amex PRG (approved 1/15)
    City AA Plat Select (approved 1/15)
    Barclay US Air (approved 1/15, now Aviator)
    Barclay US Air #2 (denied 3/15))
    BofA Alaska (approved 4/15)
    Chase IHG (approved 4/15)
    Chase Freedom (denied (6/15))
    Amex Everyday (7/15)
    BofA Alaska #2 (approved 7/15)
    Citi Hilton Signature (approved 7/15)

I've also been added as an AU on a couple of my wife's cards, and I intend to apply for a few more in Nov/Dec.

The thing to remember is to start slow. Don't apply to three cards at once. Apply to one, meet the minimum spend, then apply to cards #2 and #3, etc.

Thanks for the tips. I think it will be easier to manage if I start slow and slice things up quarterly, so to speak, both in keeping track of everything and fulfilling all of the minimum spending requirements.

EDIT: Might be a bit of a topic change, but any thoughts on the relative value of statement credits (like with the Arrival+) versus airline miles? I don't have particularly strong feelings about any particular domestic airline, but the mileage programs seem somewhat easier to understand since you can generally go to the airline's website and derive an approximation of their worth.

DeceasedHorse fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 27, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012

DeceasedHorse posted:

Thanks for the tips. I think it will be easier to manage if I start slow and slice things up quarterly, so to speak, both in keeping track of everything and fulfilling all of the minimum spending requirements.

EDIT: Might be a bit of a topic change, but any thoughts on the relative value of statement credits (like with the Arrival+) versus airline miles? I don't have particularly strong feelings about any particular domestic airline, but the mileage programs seem somewhat easier to understand since you can generally go to the airline's website and derive an approximation of their worth.

How are mileage programs easier to understand? The statement credits are simply credits against your statement and potentially the only hurdle is that you may need a travel expense. I don't think you can get any more straightforward than that. The advantage of miles are always going to have the potential to be worth more, though this is going to be dependent on how you calculate their value. The issue is that you need to be able to use them and in some cases you may not be able to or it may require you to be flexible with your travel plans

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Bisty Q. posted:

Heads up, the American Express Platinum Card 100,000 MR points offer for $3K in spending is available to everyone for some period of time. This is considered one of the best credit card offers, period, and is generally only available to people magically picked by the Amex fairy.

Open an incognito window and go to https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/platinum/. If you don't see the "Special Offer for You" for 100K, close the incognito window (this part is important) and try again.

If you have ever held an Amex Platinum card, you are not eligible for the bonus. The annual fee ($450) is not waived. You are getting at least $1000 worth of points (and potentially much much much more if you transfer them to a partner for travel) for $450, plus some lounge access, free Global Entry or TSA Precheck enrollment, $200 in airline fee credit in 2015 and another $200 in 2016, AND the 100K MR points for your fee.

Has anyone has this pop up? I tried a couple times but nothing.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Vomik posted:

Has anyone has this pop up? I tried a couple times but nothing.

I have been unsuccessful. I've tried about 150 times, last night and this morning, no luck. Folks on other forums are reporting success, but I sure haven't seen it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
If I had an Ameriprise Amex Plat that counts right? Either way I'm not having luck having it pop up.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The offer is still going. If you call and reference POID BUIU:0001 they should have no problem providing it to you.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I got it last night and was approved. Only took a few tries.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Looks like it's a calling thing. I got the offer first try last night but procrastinated and couldn't get it to pop up today. Tried calling and got this and the Starwood done in one fell swoop.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Devian666 posted:

Same offer in Australia but with the $1200 annual fee. Only 80k points in NZ which is their standard offer for $1250. NZ MR points aren't as good as Australia. The fees are murder here.

Amex platinum is $1200 in Australia? I assume Australian dollars, but that's a lot of money for a credit card. Do you get different benefits?

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

spatula posted:

I don't think there's any "pay rent with cc" companies that are less than 2.5% so there's really no way to game it and almost always a loss when using them.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Rurutia posted:

Looks like it's a calling thing. I got the offer first try last night but procrastinated and couldn't get it to pop up today. Tried calling and got this and the Starwood done in one fell swoop.

Yeah, you just have to call and mention the promo code in some fashion and they should put up little to no fight. My guess is that because they likely screwed up yesterday that they're just doing damage control by making everyone who's qualified to get a Platinum (and wants one) happy. However, it does appear that the PRG 50k offer is alive and working right now; if you open an incognito browser and click on personal cards at the bottom, there's a very good chance that it should pop up. It's only a $1k spend.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Just called, mentioned the POID, and was instantly approved for the 100k MR points offer. Did have to wait on hold for an hour, so just put the phone on speaker and read. If you're gonna do it, expect to wait. I thought I was being smart, calling at 9PM EDT (and maybe I was), but I still waited a full hour. Other than the wait, it was painless. Expect the application process to take about a half-hour, as they need to read a lot of terms and conditions.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
So this is my first credit card and all I've got is a "closing date"

Is this the date that I should be paying off my balance in full or is this like, the last day of the period before they send me my statement and due date or something. Kinda confused. I can't find a due date anywhere.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

EAB posted:

Is this the date that I should be paying off my balance in full or is this like, the last day of the period before they send me my statement and due date or something. Kinda confused. I can't find a due date anywhere.

The latter. You will get mail/an email saying when your statement balance is due.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

EAB posted:

Way to stay on top of your card. Credit cards are a great tool, make sure you use it right and don't end up in debtors prison.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Xandu posted:

Amex platinum is $1200 in Australia? I assume Australian dollars, but that's a lot of money for a credit card. Do you get different benefits?

I doubt it, the US is just that good by comparison.

Amex Platinum operating in different countries can actually be used as a backdoor to get local credit if you haven't got any. I was thinking about doing it in Japan (they are notoriously obnoxious about issuing credit cards to resident aliens) just so I could use the Japanese AMEX to get one of the electronic toll collector cards, but wound up just borrowing my friends' for the few times I took the expressway.

I wish my uni took Amex (only do Visa/MC), not sure that I have any good offers available for my next semester of tuition. Already did the AA and United/US Airways ones.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I wasn't planning on getting the 100K Amex Plat but it was a really slow afternoon at work and so I decided why the hell not and now I have it :confuoot:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

triple sulk posted:

The latter. You will get mail/an email saying when your statement balance is due.

Just for more info, if you're talking about an Amex charge card (which I'm guessing you are?) there will be a "Please Pay By" date on your statement, but this date is not binding, you actually have until the next statement close date (which will also be printed on it) to make your payment. However, your payment has to be processed by the close date, so if you're still mailing checks for some reason, you'll want to put them in the mail by the please pay by date.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I just booked my two free nights from my Citi Hilton Reserve spend threshold, and basically they offered me 500 HHonors points (a laughably small amount) to hear a pitch. I listened anyway because I'm Asian and can't give up value. It's a pitch for timeshares masked as a fabulous vacation getaway, but basically the deal came out to 3 nights at one of their Las Vegas properties (no blackout dates), two free Cirque tickets, a $200 credit for a future Hilton stay, and 6,000 more HHonors points for $168 total.

I guess the funniest part in the pitch was her selling "fabulous Orlando, FL" to me after I just booked a trip abroad. Yeah. Fabulous. There were Hawaii options, but I'm not really interested in that. Anyway, anybody else get this pitch? It seems on the up and up, and I don't think Hilton is in the business of burning their Gold+ members on this stuff, right? The handful of reviews I read were from a few years ago, but everyone seemed to have a decent time and the timeshare reps took the "no" for an answer pretty well.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 29, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A few questions regarding my current cards:

1. Once I'm done paying off my Chase Slate, I was going to call up and ask them to roll that credit line into my Amazon rewards card limit and close the Slate. Down the line at some point, would I be able to apply for another Slate and get the $0 balance transfer + 0% APR rate, or is that a one-time kind of thing?

2. Do companies notify you if they are planning on closing your card due to inactivity, and is there a standard window for how frequently you'd need to use a card to keep that from happening? I've got an REI MasterCard and haven't used it in probably half a year. I'd like to keep it for the 5% at REI, I just haven't had occasion to go there recently.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

GobiasIndustries posted:

A few questions regarding my current cards:

1. Once I'm done paying off my Chase Slate, I was going to call up and ask them to roll that credit line into my Amazon rewards card limit and close the Slate. Down the line at some point, would I be able to apply for another Slate and get the $0 balance transfer + 0% APR rate, or is that a one-time kind of thing?

2. Do companies notify you if they are planning on closing your card due to inactivity, and is there a standard window for how frequently you'd need to use a card to keep that from happening? I've got an REI MasterCard and haven't used it in probably half a year. I'd like to keep it for the 5% at REI, I just haven't had occasion to go there recently.

1) Check the terms and conditions, but I'm going to bet there's at least an 18 month window, and from what I've read as of late the vibe I get is that Chase is becoming more stringent about people trying to churn offers. There are probably other cards out there with $0/0% transfer offers so you could probably look into those, specifically something under either Capital One or Citi.

2) Some probably do, just as some don't. Just trying to use it for maybe $5-10 every few months to keep it a little active is the best bet.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Blinkman987 posted:

I just booked my two free nights from my Citi Hilton Reserve spend threshold, and basically they offered me 500 HHonors points (a laughably small amount) to hear a pitch. I listened anyway because I'm Asian and can't give up value. It's a pitch for timeshares masked as a fabulous vacation getaway, but basically the deal came out to 3 nights at one of their Las Vegas properties (no blackout dates), two free Cirque tickets, a $200 credit for a future Hilton stay, and 6,000 more HHonors points for $168 total.

I guess the funniest part in the pitch was her selling "fabulous Orlando, FL" to me after I just booked a trip abroad. Yeah. Fabulous. There were Hawaii options, but I'm not really interested in that. Anyway, anybody else get this pitch? It seems on the up and up, and I don't think Hilton is in the business of burning their Gold+ members on this stuff, right? The handful of reviews I read were from a few years ago, but everyone seemed to have a decent time and the timeshare reps took the "no" for an answer pretty well.

I just busted my timeshare-pitch cherry on a hawaii vacation. Got a really good deal at westin villas (600 for 5 nights in a studio, ended up getting upgraded to 1 bedroom suite), 12k spg points, and a bunch of other small stuff. They were pretty good about hearing no, it just sucks to take 90 minutes out of your vacation. The salespeople are ridiculously good - I'm very aware timeshares are a terrible investment, but the patter is so fast and she's switching numbers around so well I was kinda going "hmm wait, is this actually not quite as bad a deal as I thought?" Vegas timeshare pitches might be a bit more pushy though.

So the big risk is you actually get jedi-mind-tricked into buying a timeshare, which is going to cost you a lot more than the thousand or so you save on a vacation. We went to get lunch afterwards and saw in the window of a realtors shop next door they were selling the same units for 30k less than starwood was pushing them for, despite the saleswoman stating that there were less than 10 units available, they were actively looking to buy more, and they had right of first refusal. So each time they flip a share, they are looking to make at least 30k (which works out to more than 1.5 mill on the actual physical room/unit) - the commission must be nice.

Even if you get the timeshare for free, I don't think the monthly maintenance fees+taxes+(risk of getting some sort of special assessment from the association on your 1/52 share of a room), is worth it. Looks like there are some on ebay for close to free too, so people really want out from under them.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Approved for the Platinum card at 10:30 PM Thursday night, had the card in my hands at 11:30 AM Saturday. AmEx continues to do right by me.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Baddog posted:

Even if you get the timeshare for free, I don't think the monthly maintenance fees+taxes+(risk of getting some sort of special assessment from the association on your 1/52 share of a room), is worth it. Looks like there are some on ebay for close to free too, so people really want out from under them.

I have it burned into my head that timeshare = bad.

Totally jealous of the deal you got. 12k SPG points omgggggggggg

becoming posted:

Approved for the Platinum card at 10:30 PM Thursday night, had the card in my hands at 11:30 AM Saturday. AmEx continues to do right by me.

I find that they don't just do right by people-- they always go above and beyond, and the Plat approval zerg rush is an example. I used to think it was silly that my Grandfather paid for his Amex green for decades. Though I still wouldn't pay for a card, over the last two years with Amex I understand his reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW
I have more credit card accounts than I use anymore and am looking for some advice as to what to do with them. My inclination is to close some of the accounts, but two of the cards I no longer use are my oldest revolving accounts, so I'm a bit leery of messing up my credit score. According to creditkarma, my Transunion score is 786 and my Equifax is 775. I'm not going to be in the market for a mortgage or car loan anytime within the next 2 years. I'm thinking about applying for a Chase Freedom for the 5% categories. Other than that, I'm not looking at any credit cards other than the new Costco-branded card next year. Any insights?

Card names with credit limits and open dates.

These are the cards I'm thinking of closing:

CapitalOne Quicksilver: $5,500, opened 3/2005 - I haven't used this card in 2 years.
Bank Americard Rewards: $10,000, opened 5/2006 - I haven't used this card in a year.
Chase Slate: $4,500, opened 3/2014 - used this for a balance transfer, paid it off, don't see myself using it ever again.

These cards I use, based on maximizing cash rewards. All get paid in full monthly:

Costco Amex: $5,400, opened 9/2010
Discover It: $6,500, opened 4/2014
Amex Blue Cash Preferred: $8,500, opened 5/2015
Citi Double Cash: $6,500, opened 10/2014

Thanks!