Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Spark Shock is actually somewhat useful in Mega Man III for Game Boy. You know those loving obnoxious Jumbig enemies from MM4? Freeze them and go under them.

While replaying Wily Wars, I'm remembering why Simon hates Sniper Joes. They are horrible in MM1 and 2. They really aren't bad in later games like 7 and 8, though. Granted, this is because they have like half of the HP they do in MM1 and there are ways to shoot through their shields. In 9 and 10, they have machine guns and are vulnerable for a longer period of time, too.

Hammer Joes really aren't that bad either, although you could definitely reduce their HP as they're kind of bullet sponges.

There are many cases where you can bypass enemies without killing them, and as a kid, I would often purposely take damage and use the invincibility frames to bypass guys I didn't feel like fighting. Although granted, that's not how you're supposed to play... (Unless you're a speed runner.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Blackheart posted:

I couldn't get into battle network but I only tried the first one.

The first one is pretty bad. They're pretty clearly starting something new and don't quite have the formula down yet, and those rough edges where they didn't quite get it right are a lot harder to ignore in an RPG than a platformer. They refine the quality-of-life a lot in 2, build on it some more in 3, try to experiment in 4 and end up hiding a few good ideas behind a bunch of terrible ones, then get back in the groove and improve on most of 4's good ideas in 5 and 6.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Gammatron 64 posted:

Spark Shock is actually somewhat useful in Mega Man III for Game Boy. You know those loving obnoxious Jumbig enemies from MM4? Freeze them and go under them.
Spark Shock saved my rear end in Dust Man's ridiculous MMIII stage, make no mistake. Know why it does? Because MMIII had the bright idea to allow you to change weapons after the freeze, and the enemy stays nicely frozen while you pump drills into it!

quote:

While replaying Wily Wars, I'm remembering why Simon hates Sniper Joes. They are horrible in MM1 and 2. They really aren't bad in later games like 7 and 8, though. Granted, this is because they have like half of the HP they do in MM1 and there are ways to shoot through their shields. In 9 and 10, they have machine guns and are vulnerable for a longer period of time, too.

Hammer Joes really aren't that bad either, although you could definitely reduce their HP as they're kind of bullet sponges.

There are many cases where you can bypass enemies without killing them, and as a kid, I would often purposely take damage and use the invincibility frames to bypass guys I didn't feel like fighting. Although granted, that's not how you're supposed to play... (Unless you're a speed runner.)
Hammer Joes are perfectly fine in the context of introducing the slide; in fact, they're brilliant for it. Still a little too much health, and they have no place in any game but the first game with the slide.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Spark Shock saved my rear end in Dust Man's ridiculous MMIII stage, make no mistake. Know why it does? Because MMIII had the bright idea to allow you to change weapons after the freeze, and the enemy stays nicely frozen while you pump drills into it!

Yeah, I always forget you can't pause when you freeze enemies in MM3 proper. That sucks.

Simply Simon posted:

Hammer Joes are perfectly fine in the context of introducing the slide; in fact, they're brilliant for it. Still a little too much health, and they have no place in any game but the first game with the slide.

Yeah. I don't think they're entirely without merit however, as there are places where they can be done right:

This screen in MM3 always comes to mind for me. It isn't readily apparent, but you can just slightly inch up on the ladder and shoot the Hammer Joes in the feet without any danger of getting hit. Not everyone might realize that the first time, but a clever player will find this way to take them out with ease.

Something like this in MM7 also comes to mind. Here we have a single Sniper Joe on a vertical screen. While in this screen, the floor might be gone, but in general, in a situation like this, you don't even need to kill him. The later Joes are also way less obnoxious as they die in about 5 hits vs. 10 or so, and you can stick your buster through their shields if you're feeling brave. They also choreograph their attacks and have more vulnerable frames.

There's a very similar screen in Snake Man's stage in MM3.

Then there's the Sniper Joes in Bomb Man's stage in MM1 and they're just awful.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Gammatron 64 posted:

You're kind of a masochist, but that's okay, I don't judge. Whatever floats your boat, man.

I do like the hard stuff, though I only play X7 when I feel like inflicting punishment on myself.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Then there's the Sniper Joes in Bomb Man's stage in MM1 and they're just awful.

Yeah, that Joe is bad placement, even if they're vulnerable when they jump in MM1, they take way too many hits, and the crazy chase sequence they do if you run through them is something else entirely. I like to run through that one just to see him flip out, though most people have either magnet beam or ice slasher by that point.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Oyster posted:

Yeah, that Joe is bad placement, even if they're vulnerable when they jump in MM1, they take way too many hits, and the crazy chase sequence they do if you run through them is something else entirely. I like to run through that one just to see him flip out, though most people have either magnet beam or ice slasher by that point.

I'll often start on Bomb Man and I'll just body check those guys because I don't feel like dealing with them. Sometimes I'll start with Cut Man, though.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

My favorite use for the Spark Shot was shooting groups of those eyeball-walker things and lagging the game out. I think I actually locked the game up once doing it on Shadow Man's stage.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

We might agree to disagree on real Mega Man games, but I think we can all agree that Mega Man Eternal is bad:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3595795&perpage=40&pagenumber=51#post449491624

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I guess mn9 backers get a trial version in the meantime until the actual release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I guess mn9 backers get a trial version in the meantime until the actual release.

That is a good move. (Though honestly, even speaking as a backer, I think they should just put out a public demo.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Gammatron 64 posted:

We might agree to disagree on real Mega Man games, but I think we can all agree that Mega Man Eternal is bad:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3595795&perpage=40&pagenumber=51#post449491624

An interesting discussion I've been wanting to have about megaman fangames and the classic series in general is what innovations or design practices can or should be preserved from even bad games and used in future ones.

The example I like to use is the Mega Man Dos Remake, which has a ton of technical problems, but does something I've not seen elsewhere in the series: for disappearing block segments, the block locations are all visible at all times. This seems like a great way to at least introduce disappearing block segments. Eternal used a numeric countdown indicator for its block-switching segments, which I'm less convinced of, but which seemed like a good call.

What good design ideas can be taken or preserved from bad mega man games or fangames?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 28, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

What good design components can be taken or preserved from bad mega man games or fangames?

Shark Man, but I guess they already did it in the exe games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd love to see "pacifist" runs of old Mega Man games, where the player only kills the enemies he absolutely has to (bosses, basically).

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Yup. It has like half the game, all the options, all the cut-scenes for that part of the game. It's not ideal but it's a pretty good move. One of the first well-handled PR moves actually.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Lurdiak posted:

I'd love to see "pacifist" runs of old Mega Man games, where the player only kills the enemies he absolutely has to (bosses, basically).

I am pretty sure that was an achievement in both MM9 and MM10.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Black Mage Knight posted:

I am pretty sure that was an achievement in both MM9 and MM10.

Doesn't look like it for MM10, but MM9 does have it!

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Doesn't look like it for MM10, but MM9 does have it!

Specifically you have to beat the game without *missing* a single buster shot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Lurdiak posted:

Fellon250 on Youtube does this for some of the perfect no miss runs he's done, when he can figure out a route.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Gunvolt's out on Steam! The port... isn't great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Gunvolt's out on Steam! The port... isn't great.

That is disappointing. What's screwed up with it?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently it flat out doesn't start on certain machines. Don't know if it's a majority or not, but it's enough that it's even its Steam description right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

It barely works on non-Nvidia cards and it's hard-capped at 30FPS. I suspect they rushed it out to coincide with PAX.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
When does the trial version release for MN9?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

When does the trial version release for MN9?

Sep 15th, the original release date.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

What good design ideas can be taken or preserved from bad mega man games or fangames?

X5 and X6 have plenty of great ideas between them: split routes on stages, stages that change periodically or are altered after certain events, armors, abilities, and bosses that are locked behind certain paths or actions. They're all just executed horribly.

Megaman games are ideal for having multiple-playthrough gimmicks because they're fairly short and based on memorization and pattern recognition, so throwing tons of stuff to use at the player in a single playthrough is largely a waste. A Megaman game that took a Starfox64-style approach to level select or an X6/Xcom approach to acquiring items would be really cool, and provide a lot of incentive to keep on playing through the game multiple times.

Also bring back X8's multiple-character mechanic, which similarly forced the player to find creative approaches to fill in the gap left by whatever character they didn't pick.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 29, 2015

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It barely works on non-Nvidia cards and it's hard-capped at 30FPS. I suspect they rushed it out to coincide with PAX.

They've apparently fixed it already, or will shortly (the estimate for patch time was 13 minutes before this post, who knows if they were accurate) but I'm not exactly in a rush to grab and try it out, even in this era of steam refunds.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Except fullscreen it works fine with Wine for me. I do have a Nvidia card, though.
The only way to quit the game I found is closing the window itself.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

When I "played" it the only thing that would load up was a single background layer and some text, no sprites or enemies.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Phantasium posted:

When I "played" it the only thing that would load up was a single background layer and some text, no sprites or enemies.

good to see the 32X is still getting games

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Dumb Mega Man confessions:

Before I ever owned a Mega Man game and when I found the series in 1996, all I could do was rent them. When I first played Mega Man 4, I had no idea that you could charge up. I only figured it out by accident when I rented Mega Man 5 and held down the B button for whatever reason in Gravity Man's stage while trying to get away from the big stomper robot.

The DOS version of Mega Man X was the first Mega Man game I owned and I still have it. I played it with default controls because I was loving nine-years-old. I'd constantly task out of the game and back to Windows 95 because the Ctrl key was dash and the jump key was Alt. I used to even map controls of emulators in the same manner.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Missed Sniper Joe chat but I just have to add that MM1 had the worst Joes in the series because they would loving chase you until you killed them. MM2's ATST Joes get an honorable mention for how much damage they do.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

legoman727 posted:

Missed Sniper Joe chat but I just have to add that MM1 had the worst Joes in the series because they would loving chase you until you killed them. MM2's ATST Joes get an honorable mention for how much damage they do.

...and can take without Air Shooter.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Star Man posted:

Dumb Mega Man confessions:

Before I ever owned a Mega Man game and when I found the series in 1996, all I could do was rent them. When I first played Mega Man 4, I had no idea that you could charge up. I only figured it out by accident when I rented Mega Man 5 and held down the B button for whatever reason in Gravity Man's stage while trying to get away from the big stomper robot.

The DOS version of Mega Man X was the first Mega Man game I owned and I still have it. I played it with default controls because I was loving nine-years-old. I'd constantly task out of the game and back to Windows 95 because the Ctrl key was dash and the jump key was Alt. I used to even map controls of emulators in the same manner.

Someone did a remake, more or less, of one or maybe both of the DOS games. It wasn't great, to be honest, and I recall having a very hard time finding them, but kudos to the person who gave it a go. I guess that one can polish a turd, but the remake is hardly a diamond.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

You're not platforming through a level, you're just shooting your way through boring enemy after boring enemy, with a few coconut-throwing monkeys or something thrown in to wake you up every so often. It's not difficult, it's just dull.
I kind of like that aspect of the level. It isn't very MM-ish, but it's not bad and provides an alternative kind of level compared to the rest. It's also much better than the other gauntlet of enemy style found in MM2: drill/moles corridors.

alcharagia posted:

Megaman 8 is a good game and has great special weapons, except Water Balloon of course.
Yes! MM8 is super fun and if you're not constantly using the special weapons you're doing something wrong.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

pick-e posted:

Yes! MM8 is super fun and if you're not constantly using the special weapons you're doing something wrong.

I certainly enjoyed it, in large part because the ease of using the super weapons and their variety, coupled with being able to switch easily, added lot of diversity to the game play. It is easier than most (maybe all), but it kind of has to be given that there are no tanks and fairly limited means to restore life.

Also, I played the Saturn version and Wood Man forever!

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I realized earlier today that I had bought and downloaded but not yet played Mega Man IV for Game Boy. I guess I hadn't been in a hurry to play it because I assumed it wouldn't be that different from the first three Game Boy games in that it would basically be a port with some slight differences in the level designs.

For the first four levels I thought I was right, but now that I've got to the second set of robot masters I am pleasantly surprised. All four of the robot master stages seem to take place inside Wily's fortress and barely resemble their Mega Man 5 stages. Furthermore, they include creative uses for the special weapons Mega Man acquired from the first four robot masters.

For example, Napalm Man's stage reuses the moving drills from a short section of his original MM5 stage in a completely different way, this time primarily using them as mobile platforms (with one boring a tunnel for Mega Man to travel through). There's also a few instant kill fire traps that can be temporarily extinguished with Rain Flush and some self-destructing blocks that can be kept from exploding for a time with Flash Stopper.

The Mega Buster's charge shot affects Mega Man with its recoil; I'm fairly certain this is the only game to include this drawback. It actually caused me to lose a life at one point when I had Mega Man standing too close to a ledge. The recoil is more noticeable in water, interestingly, making Mega Man rise up a bit higher.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to play this game, but I'm at least pleasantly surprised that the game is significantly more innovative than I thought.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Motto posted:

Only Star Force 2's a stinker, Star Force 1 is okay and would be a good game in a vacuum, but coming off of BN6 it was an oversimplification.

That Sky Wave BGM still hasn't left my head.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

On that note, be sure to give MMV a try afterwards, they went all original for the last GB game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
MMIV is the best 8-bit game so congrats on giving it a try :D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

Only Star Force 2's a stinker, Star Force 1 is okay and would be a good game in a vacuum, but coming off of BN6 it was an oversimplification.

Meanwhile Star Force 3 is the game that made random drop farming fun