Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Nolgthorn posted:

This guy is doing a lot of "themed" levels focusing on the amiibo, which highlights one of the flaws of the game. He's lacing his levels with tons of whatever amiibo he themed the level to be about. So there are constant power-ups "in case you get hit" there's no challenge there.

I don't necessarily disagree, but not every level needs to be buttfuck hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Nolgthorn posted:

This guy is doing a lot of "themed" levels focusing on the amiibo, which highlights one of the flaws of the game. He's lacing his levels with tons of whatever amiibo he themed the level to be about. So there are constant power-ups "in case you get hit" there's no challenge there.

There should be one or two mystery mushrooms in the level. If you get hit that's your fault. Also, you could counteract this with difficult platforming over gaps that result in instant death should you fail. That'd be a way to counteract a bunch of powerups, just make difficult jumps that kill you despite your state.

Also, I am really tired of waiting for this game. I feel like I should have it by now and all these Youtube videos aren't helping!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I suppose my feeling is that the mystery mushrooms should be replaced with "choose what player skin to use for the level".

The other thing I really want the game to have is level sets and for 1ups to matter, so that I can have one level lead into the other. Not necessarily buttfuck hard, but enough so that there's incentive to get the 1ups. As it is each level is like its own separate universe from the rest.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

The other thing I really want the game to have is level sets and for 1ups to matter, so that I can have one level lead into the other. Not necessarily buttfuck hard, but enough so that there's incentive to get the 1ups. As it is each level is like its own separate universe from the rest.

Wasn't there a game mode for this?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

netcat posted:

Wasn't there a game mode for this?

I don't think so. There is a game mode for playing through a set of levels picked at random, I'd like to offer levels as part of a set that I make and people could play them individually or all together if they wanted.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

1ups matter, but you can only get 3 maximum per level carried over into the next ones.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
If any of you do make a level that is insanely hard, please provide and obvious 1-up mushroom at the beginning of the course. It is just common courtesy. Some of us will be trying to do the 10 or 100 Mario challenge and from the Youtube Videos I've seen some of them can take 20-30 lives to beat. So, be kind, provide Shrooms!

Kelp Plankton posted:

1ups matter, but you can only get 3 maximum per level carried over into the next ones.

Is this true? Wow, that is harsh!

edit: I guess I can understand, this stops someone from making a level containing 50 1-up Mushrooms. Helps combat the 1-up spam someone might make and ruin the "meta-game."

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Spectacle Rock posted:

Is this true? Wow, that is harsh!

Well if they didn't limit it people would add like hundreds of 1ups per level or whatever just to get rated higher.

That's still 3 1ups per level which adds up quickly when you're not doing some real bad ones.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Spectacle Rock posted:

If any of you do make a level that is insanely hard, please provide and obvious 1-up mushroom at the beginning of the course. It is just common courtesy. Some of us will be trying to do the 10 or 100 Mario challenge and from the Youtube Videos I've seen some of them can take 20-30 lives to beat. So, be kind, provide Shrooms!
From the videos I've seen it looks like the 1ups you pick up don't count until you complete the level.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Am I mixing it up with wishful thinking or are they tracking difficulty server side based on how many lives people are blowing in a level? Presumably the challenges are picked by the robot to give a certain life par so you don't end up with several Kaizo wannabes chosen in a row.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

zedprime posted:

Am I mixing it up with wishful thinking or are they tracking difficulty server side based on how many lives people are blowing in a level? Presumably the challenges are picked by the robot to give a certain life par so you don't end up with several Kaizo wannabes chosen in a row.

They categorize the difficulty based on the percentage of players who manage to actually complete a level. Levels show the number of attempts, completions, and percentages.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

The DK level guy made a Wind Waker level and it works pretty well even though you can't do water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfB4ArhZol4

I'm kind of surprised how nice you can make levels look by decorating them a bit

I'm actually more interested in nice-looking, well-made levels, like an endless stream of what you might find in a retail game, than I am in the insane kaizo stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I'm actually more interested in nice-looking, well-made levels, like an endless stream of what you might find in a retail game, than I am in the insane kaizo stuff.

Same. Challenge is not at all what I'm coming to this game for.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Chances are the butt gently caress hard levels arent going to get that many stars, so the high rated ones will be beatable.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The big issue with user-created stuff is the prevalence of super-hard levels overwhelming everything else. That goes for Trials Fusion, especially.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's easy to make a level hard by way of being poorly designed and then just say it takes skill to overcome how lovely it is, but yeah I hope that we get levels of all sorts of skill levels and lots of fun, weird stuff in addition to Baby's First Kaizos

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Creating hard levels is fun, but it takes some skill to make a hard level that's also fair and fun

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think the "you must complete before uploading" caveat will weed out a decent amount of kaizo nonsense.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Little Mac posted:

I think the "you must complete before uploading" caveat will weed out a decent amount of kaizo nonsense.

Wow, is that a thing? That's honestly amazing. No way to cheat it like making a really short level and then moving the goal?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

netcat posted:

Wow, is that a thing? That's honestly amazing. No way to cheat it like making a really short level and then moving the goal?

It will ask you to complete it when you hit the submit button, so presumably no way to cheat it without some hacking.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

You could do some dick move stuff like hide vines in invisible blocks that let you bypass impossible poo poo but odds are smart people will figure it out eventually too

Plus there's an automatic rating system for difficulty based on the percentage of players who complete a level and how many lives it takes, so you can tell the game to give you Easy or Medium levels and it should avoid the megahard kaizo stuff

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
It is a Saturday night. The game has obviously reached gold master status. I am very bored and asking myself why am I not able to purchase and play this game right now?

Looking forward to playing all the goon made levels, just 13 more days...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's so many days between now and when the game comes out that I could die... before getting to play it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rwxs1gH9w

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Macaluso posted:

There's so many days between now and when the game comes out that I could die... before getting to play it...

You could die the day it comes out when you go pick it up even!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Macaluso posted:

The dead will rise to play Mario levels so don't worry.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Suspicious Cook posted:

The dead will rise to play Mario levels so don't worry.

But if this happens you can only make ghost themed levels.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

DalaranJ posted:

But if this happens you can only make ghost themed levels.

I wonder how feasible it is to make that Mario World Ghost House where the room just repeats with minor differences...

Can your sub-world share the same theme as the main one?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

pichupal posted:

I wonder how feasible it is to make that Mario World Ghost House where the room just repeats with minor differences...

Can your sub-world share the same theme as the main one?

Yes, your sub-world share the same theme as the main one.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEoCJUJLBHY

Here's the "Touch Fuzzy, get dizzy" effect in action. Don't do shrooms, kids.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That looks really naff and low-effort

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

A Steampunk Gent posted:

That looks really naff and low-effort

I don't think it's supposed to be the real Fuzzy effect.

Also this level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ltlA4mR7Q

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I really like that they have a mode that picks sets of levels for you randomly. It's a good way to distribute peoples levels because the most starred levels are gonna be all youtubers.

I see that there's a yoshi, can you put in the bushes with the fruit for him to eat?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Zonekeeper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEoCJUJLBHY

Here's the "Touch Fuzzy, get dizzy" effect in action. Don't do shrooms, kids.

Real missed opportunity not calling it Wigglers Don't Do Drugs.

This does show you can have Lakitu through Wigglers and you can give wings to unbreakable blocks to create floating platforms. That's neat.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 30, 2015

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Overbite posted:

I see that there's a yoshi, can you put in the bushes with the fruit for him to eat?

I haven't been able to find anything that says you can.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

andipossess posted:

It will ask you to complete it when you hit the submit button, so presumably no way to cheat it without some hacking.

You could do some bullshit like put an invisible vine box somewhere only you know where it is

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

blablablabla posted:

You could do some bullshit like put an invisible vine box somewhere only you know where it is

Yeah but then I can just download your level, figure out where that vine box is, and then go back online, clear it, and leave a message on the stage talking about how lovely your level design is. Plus, if such a bad level comes up in 100 Mario, you can just swipe and skip. No big deal.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Little Mac posted:

Yeah but then I can just download your level, figure out where that vine box is, and then go back online, clear it, and leave a message on the stage talking about how lovely your level design is. Plus, if such a bad level comes up in 100 Mario, you can just swipe and skip. No big deal.

Also, all levels can be downloaded and sent to edit mode, so, you can "sweep" a level for hidden stuff in edit mode. So, you'd be very hard pressed to keep easter eggs full hidden. Also, Miiverse Comments can post inside the level itself saying "Hidden Thing Here!"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Spectacle Rock posted:

Also, all levels can be downloaded and sent to edit mode, so, you can "sweep" a level for hidden stuff in edit mode. So, you'd be very hard pressed to keep easter eggs full hidden. Also, Miiverse Comments can post inside the level itself saying "Hidden Thing Here!"

That's... everything my post said!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Miiverse posts can be left as in-game messages so if you find the invisible box you can just leave a message on that spot that says THIS IS WHERE THE VINE IS TO BEAT THE LEVEL? that is loving rad

i could see like a whole genre of collaborative puzzle stages come out of that, people slowly solving them via miiverse messages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The Temple of La-Mulana

• Locked thread