Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

You busybodies are so violent. It's probably why you think guns need to be controlled, because you would commit violence with them.

What are you going to do if you're attacked? Gently rub your pistol against your assailants cheek? I know guns are a sexual thing for you but that's taking it a little far, don't you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mr. Wookums posted:

Recently some owners have been using it on their family first.

now this is more cost-effective, I wonder if this recent rise in thrifty thinking is tied to the economy making people more conscientious about stretching their dollar

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the number one threat to gun owning americans is gun owning americans, who are increasingly putting down those threats with a single shot. this level of accuracy and thrift should be celebrated, and confirms that americans are the finest marksmen in the world

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Who What Now posted:

What are you going to do if you're attacked? Gently rub your pistol against your assailants cheek? I know guns are a sexual thing for you but that's taking it a little far, don't you think?

i didn't and don't carry around guns for defense but when a guy busted into my house, jumped someone in bed, and started strangling them the presence of a shotgun was highly conducive to the whole thing ending in a civil conversation about appropriate conflict management on the living room couch

most defensive gun uses don't end in a body, and imo they're much better and safer persuasive tools than a knife or your bare hands or whatnot

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
when a seven year old defends himself into the face of another seven year old with his father's self-defense tool, you should reserve judgement. the kid who got shot could have been a huge prick, you don't know

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i didn't and don't carry around guns for defense but when a guy busted into my house, jumped someone in bed, and started strangling them the presence of a shotgun was highly conducive to the whole thing ending in a civil conversation about appropriate conflict management on the living room couch

most defensive gun uses don't end in a body, and imo they're much better and safer persuasive tools than a knife or your bare hands or whatnot

Yes, that sure is a thing that totally happened.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

oh cool now we're on to the not totally sad 'i find people who have relevant experience politically inconvenient therefore they don't exist' stage of the show

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Mods can we replace the word "GUN" with a gun emoji in the title please?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
America really is unique on guns though because any attempt to institute Australian style gun control would result in an Iraqi-style insurgency, if the insurgents ever numbered more than 5,000 or so. Of course our superior military won an uncontested victory over there so I say let's do this thang.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

oh cool now we're on to the not totally sad 'i find people who have relevant experience politically inconvenient therefore they don't exist' stage of the show

How is your masturbation fantasy politically inconvenient to me? I don't care what gets you off man, it's all good.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Mr.Bob posted:

They say not suitable for hunting because they are full metal jacket. FMJ bullets are usually restricted from being used in hunting due to over penetraion in the game animal and not causing enough of a wound cavity to humanely kill the animal quickly.

That doesn't change the point I'm making. Just because they say target on them doesn't change the function of the gun shooting them. Which is why bean bags, despite being "less than lethal", still loving hurt. Because the instrument being used to fire said bean bag is trying to kill you and the only thing stopping it is the ammunition they put in the gun first.

Also, I don't think guns should be banned for the same reason drugs shouldn't be. Guns are tools and require an agent to use. But so are cars, planes, and many other things that require training and licenses. Owning a weapon shouldn't be a right, it's a privilege showing you're not a lunatic.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Who What Now posted:

How is your masturbation fantasy politically inconvenient to me? I don't care what gets you off man, it's all good.

i can get u a police report if you want but that's asking me to spend like an hour on the phone to win an internet argument so i'll need you to toxx to never attempt sarcasm again if I do, because your posting is mega stinko dogshit

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DeusExMachinima posted:

America really is unique on guns though because any attempt to institute Australian style gun control would result in an Iraqi-style insurgency, if the insurgents ever numbered more than 5,000 or so. Of course our superior military won an uncontested victory over there so I say let's do this thang.

It probably wouldn't. There would be isolated cases but you have to remember that when gun fanboys start threatening murder and insurrection at the drop of a hat if their toy selection is even hypothetically limited, they're not revolutionaries making demands, they're fat teenagers brooding in their room about how if they take my Xbox I swear I'll burn this loving house down

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

various cheeses posted:

Hello fellow cheese. It's the former, but the latter never hurts. You should only carry a gun with a quality holster that protects the trigger from being accidentally pulled. Carrying a loaded gun without a holster is a very bad idea.
This is probably where we talk about Glock Leg.

Fog Tripper posted:

One less thing to think about when you are under stress and have more important details to pay attention to. Like identifying your target, making certain nothing behind it is in danger if you misd or it passes through the target. Oh, and because carrying without one in the chamber is asinine.

Edit: also because real life is not a movie, where people rack slides for dramatic effect.
So it really is because you envision yourself in a tactical scenario where the single second spent putting a round into the chamber could be the difference between life and death. Got it. If your daily carry has a manual safety, do you leave that off as well to save time and streamline your brain scripts?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

i can get u a police report if you want but that's asking me to spend like an hour on the phone to win an internet argument so i'll need you to toxx to never attempt sarcasm again if I do, because your posting is mega stinko dogshit

Like I said, I really don't care what you do. If you want to spend time 'shopping up a "police report" be my guest. I'd still like to know how you think this would be "politically inconvenient" for me, though.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

buk-buk-bawwwk-ba-bawwwwk-BAWK

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

cheese posted:

This is probably where we talk about Glock Leg.

So it really is because you envision yourself in a tactical scenario where the single second spent putting a round into the chamber could be the difference between life and death. Got it. If your daily carry has a manual safety, do you leave that off as well to save time and streamline your brain scripts?

You need two hands to load the chamber. You don't get to say "hold on pal, let me load my gun first".

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

various cheeses posted:

You need two hands to load the chamber. You don't get to say "hold on pal, let me load my gun first".

you're probably also not doing the shootout at high noon either tho

your life but I defo wouldn't want a gun with one in the chamber riding right next to my junk all day and I'd feel real loving stupid explaining the highly specific hypothetical scenario that lead to my having to piss through a tube

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

your life but I defo wouldn't want a gun with one in the chamber riding right next to my junk all day and I'd feel real loving stupid explaining the highly specific hypothetical scenario that lead to my having to piss through a tube

I'd never appendix carry a gun with one in the chamber either. Most of those glock leg incidents occur during holstering, and having it already pointed at my junk is a big no.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

various cheeses posted:

Again, it sounds like you are really envisioning a tactical scenario here that I just can't wrap my mind around occurring. Are your hands zip tied because you are a hostage in a bank robbery or something? It seems like a big increase in the risk of negligent discharge to improve a fantasy scenario that won't happen. I mean, have you installed a roll cage in your car to improve your odds of surviving a car crash?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

cheese posted:

Again, it sounds like you are really envisioning a tactical scenario here that I just can't wrap my mind around occurring. Are your hands zip tied because you are a hostage in a bank robbery or something? It seems like a big increase in the risk of negligent discharge to improve a fantasy scenario that won't happen. I mean, have you installed a roll cage in your car to improve your odds of surviving a car crash?

A man walks up and grabs your left arm.

Your gun is now a paperweight. It's not some fantastical james bond scenario.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

cheese posted:

I mean, have you installed a roll cage in your car to improve your odds of surviving a car crash?

how much would this cost, hypothetically

the cowpusher was no go cause apparently my state hates joy but I bet I could do this

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Yeah I don't fancy it. I don't even like to chamber a round if I am somewhere where an ND would be troublesome (i.e. my apartment). Another reason I am fond of revolvers (not that there is anything wrong with autos, please leave me alone auto fanboys).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

various cheeses posted:

Good call, better to have the round chambered so you can empty your clip into "man who walked up to you and grabbed your left arm".

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

cheese posted:

Good call, better to have the round chambered so you can empty your clip into "man who walked up to you and grabbed your left arm".

Assuming he is going to rob/assault/murder you, yes I think you're figuring it out.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

how much would this cost, hypothetically

the cowpusher was no go cause apparently my state hates joy but I bet I could do this
I don't know, 10 grand? Probably more cost effective for dollars per amount of safety gained. poo poo, it will even protect your family when you are not there. Can your long slide 1911 say the same? HMM?

various cheeses posted:

Assuming he is going to rob/assault/murder you, yes I think you're figuring it out.
Do you envision that as a likely scenario? Walking down the street when a man suddenly grabs your arm and kills you for your money?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

cheese posted:

I don't know, 10 grand?

gently caress that then what'd a mounted harpoon gun run me, assume an 02 accord

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I'm really not trying to pick a fight fellow cheese guy, I'm just trying to understand the way people view safety and the things they will do to feel safe. Risk vs reward and all that. Carrying your glock with a round in the chamber feels like a huge increase in risk for me without a significant reward.

I've been trying to find data on concealed carry but its very difficult. I wonder how often a concealed handgun turns a drunk tailgate argument or purse snatching into a homicide.

gently caress that then what'd a mounted harpoon gun run me, assume an 02 accord
Depends. If you want to be able to reload it from inside the car, its going to cost you extra. Worth it though, I know I'd sleep better at night.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i sorta always envisioned a guy riding on the roof to aim and reload it but I see your point, I'll have to consider this further

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

So hit him with the gun. It's a block of metal, not papier-mâché.

EDIT

SedanChair posted:

Yeah I don't fancy it. I don't even like to chamber a round if I am somewhere where an ND would be troublesome (i.e. my apartment). Another reason I am fond of revolvers (not that there is anything wrong with autos, please leave me alone auto fanboys).

Revolvers are clearly the superior firearm based simply on being so much classier.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 29, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

i too carry a loaded weapon on the assumption that people who touch my body need to be immediately killed

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
why are gun people so terrified of others, it would be sad if it wasn't pathetic

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If you've already been grabbed you're hosed anyway, chambered round or not.

"Excuse me, my frightful fellow, as I fumble at my holster for a few moments to retrieve my pistol. Oh bother the clasp seems to be a bit stuck. I say, stop stabbing me this instant, I asked you quite nicely to wait!"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i too carry a loaded weapon on the assumption that people who touch my body need to be immediately killed

i know you haven't seen me but it is in fact inconceivable that someone would voluntarily touch me without malign intent and gloves

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

various cheeses posted:

You know how to use the sights to chamber a round one handed right

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

i'm pretty sure that the guy who shudders at the thought of human contact knows 'how to chamber a round one handed'

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

a truly defense-minded indivudual maintains a protective layer of grease, sweat, and lubricated dirt at all time to render themselves invulnerable to grappling\

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i'm pretty sure that the guy who shudders at the thought of human contact knows 'how to chamber a round one handed'

lol

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

cheese posted:

I'm really not trying to pick a fight fellow cheese guy, I'm just trying to understand the way people view safety and the things they will do to feel safe. Risk vs reward and all that. Carrying your glock with a round in the chamber feels like a huge increase in risk for me without a significant reward.

I've been trying to find data on concealed carry but its very difficult. I wonder how often a concealed handgun turns a drunk tailgate argument or purse snatching into a homicide.

Depends. If you want to be able to reload it from inside the car, its going to cost you extra. Worth it though, I know I'd sleep better at night.

My bad, I assumed you weren't looking for an actual discussion like the majority of the dipshits here.

You aren't wrong in that a loaded gun is orders of magnitude more dangerous than an unloaded one. The problem is you may not get ample time to load it, and when you do, you're brandishing it. An already loaded gun is simply there and ready to go. When I carry mine while hiking or something, I leave it in the holster and don't mess with it - the trigger guard is completely enclosed. Then when I get home, I unload it and everything is cool. I never keep guns loaded when they aren't being actively carried in a holster.

Who What Now posted:

Revolvers are clearly the superior firearm based simply on being so much classier.

Counterpoint:

SedanChair posted:

Yeah but that is way more difficult and is still an added step.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

a truly defense-minded indivudual maintains a protective layer of grease, sweat, and lubricated dirt at all time to render themselves invulnerable to grappling

leet kune do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The exact point where preparedness turns into paranoia in the gunfucker's mind is a fascinating thing. Keeping a round chambered is excessively reasonable, but I'm pretty sure trading in that Glock for a dart pistol loaded with cocktails of extremely painful and extremely deadly venoms would constitute an armchair diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder.

• Locked thread