Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, this is a shot in the dark, as I never used it myself, but would http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AnimationEditorGuide.html do what you need?

This is actually what I used already

StickFigs posted:

Last night I managed to create the animation with Unity's animation tool. So later today I'll be able to put it to the test and hopefully I'll be able to get it to work the way I want.

I haven't gotten to test it yet though, I just pray it works like I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Have you looked at any of the path editors for the various tween engines? I think dotween has one. You can define a path in local space and then have your enemies follow it.

Since this is an on rails shooter I'd probably have a move transform that stayed in front of the camera and have ships execute their local path moves on that. If you don't want them to keep up with the cam even if the path was defined in local space you can execute in world and they'll just go through your loops.

Unity animation tools are pretty miserable so I stick with tweens when I can.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

FuzzySlippers posted:

Have you looked at any of the path editors for the various tween engines? I think dotween has one. You can define a path in local space and then have your enemies follow it.

Since this is an on rails shooter I'd probably have a move transform that stayed in front of the camera and have ships execute their local path moves on that. If you don't want them to keep up with the cam even if the path was defined in local space you can execute in world and they'll just go through your loops.

Unity animation tools are pretty miserable so I stick with tweens when I can.

I bought Simple Waypoint System which runs on the DOTween library and it seemed like it was going to work great until I realized that it's designed with paths being static in the environment in mind. It broke when I tried to have the enemy follow a path that existed only in assets as a prefab.

The other problem was that NONE of the Unity path solutions support rotation. So imagine creating a two node path, now you want your object to rotate 180 degrees between nodes, you can't do it just by rotating the 2nd node like you'd think you'd be able to do.

If my latest attempt with animations is successful I'd probably choose that over waypoints anyways. Creating the animations is a pain in the rear end in Unity but at least I can have precise control over rotation and calling an animation should be much easier than managing a programatic path tween.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 28, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I'm having trouble with the silliest thing- it's trivial to write cutscenes and character moments with single characters, and it would even be pretty easy to piece together a procedural S-Link, but I can't think of a single way to make group scenes work unless I switch your teammates from procedurally generated guys to a set cast of 4-5 people whose story arc anchors the overall experience. I don't really want to do that, because it drives a giant wedge into the whole 100% replayability thing, but I don't know if there's a realistic way to guarantee quality narrative without setting at least a few things in stone.

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
Screenshot saturday time!

I've started hooking up some of my art to my map editor, and it's more or less looks the way i want to now. Getting the color palette to show through was more important than anything for the look i was after, so i ended up settling for what basically amounts to putting the lighting on fullbright and adding an AO pass.

Steampunk_Spoon fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 29, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Steampunk_Spoon posted:

Screenshot saturday time!

Looks nice, but is it weird I prefer the isometric and lower-res old version more?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Been a while since I've contributed to a screenshot saturday. May as well show what I'm working on, though. I'm using the DawnHack tileset to make a mouse / touch / controller friendly roguelike. Pixel Dungeon seems like the only one on Android that controls well, so I decided to work on this. It's still super early, but here's a gif showing where I'm at. Not sure why it came out so blurry.

Most of the basics like inventory, equipment, map gen, minimap, etc are finished. I've got a lot of cleaning up / bug squashing to do, but after that it's time to actually fill it with content. It'll have traditional keyboard controls too, I just haven't implemented them yet.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I have an idea for a game but I have no idea where to start. The game is a "map game" similar to paradox games, only without a military component and with the ability to use mini games to change the success probability of chosen actions. The mini games will be a variety of 2D card games. The central focus of the game will be a 2D map with static province borders, and selecting a province will provide stats on the province and the ability to perform actions that will influence those stats. There will be other computer players that are on the player's side, working against the player, and neutral to the player, all of which are trying to influence the stats of the provinces for their own goals.

What are some resources I can use to learn how to make a game like this? I know basically nothing about making games and I have very very basic programming knowledge, but I have good knowledge of statistics and probability, which are going to factor heavily into pretty much everything in the game.

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009
Been working on some character animation this week for a little game I've been making on my own.

and because I'm loving stupid (and because it's an animation workflow I'm used to and lets me do silly gpu vertex tricks), all of the art is geometry.

Noyemi K posted:

Maybe I could write an NRTDRV player at some point, because I'm liking the feature-rich MML and the driver macros a lot. It'd be really useful for X68000-esque stuff (provided I don't attempt to send information to a virtual MSM6258, which NRTDRV does NOT support)

Also, I really, really like this.

Dr Solway Garr fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 29, 2015

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Dr Solway Garr posted:

Been working on some character animation this week for a little game I've been making on my own.

and because I'm loving stupid (and because it's an animation workflow I'm used to and lets me do silly gpu vertex tricks), all of the art is geometry.

Also, I really, really like this.

That's adorable and looks great!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This makes my morning, and makes me wish I knew the first thing about making art assets. ^^

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm always super wary of gimmicks and stuff, so I'd love to get your opinion on this -

Would an FMV game that's 1950s monster movie themed (black and white, film grain, overacted) be too hard of a sell for you? I mean, the film content is not something I'm too concerned about in regard to it being of proper quality. I'm just curious if a black and white FMV game is something that would even have appeal.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

I'm always super wary of gimmicks and stuff, so I'd love to get your opinion on this -

Would an FMV game that's 1950s monster movie themed (black and white, film grain, overacted) be too hard of a sell for you? I mean, the film content is not something I'm too concerned about in regard to it being of proper quality. I'm just curious if a black and white FMV game is something that would even have appeal.

I think it could be doable. Personally its not my kinda thing as I never really got into FMV games and the like.

SCreenshot Saturday.

I've been putzing about with pixi.js and got the early workings of a possible mobile game.

Are the controls too invasive?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I think it could be doable. Personally its not my kinda thing as I never really got into FMV games and the like.

SCreenshot Saturday.

I've been putzing about with pixi.js and got the early workings of a possible mobile game.

I would just put the movement arrows on top of the respective tiles (or maybe just highlight the tiles) and tuck the other buttons in screen corners.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

add MST3k analogues at the bottom of the screen and they say the interaction choices and you click them to make the decisions and you will have hit the right amount of cheese to appeal to the target demographic I think.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I'm always super wary of gimmicks and stuff, so I'd love to get your opinion on this

Here's the way I look at it: gimmicks, e.g. cheap effects made to sell your game, suck. "People like breasts, our game has breasts AND elves who are also Tibetan ninjas". However, I also think that taking an aesthetic or theme that you're passionate about, getting hyper-focused on it, and iterating through that concept can lead to a very satisfying experience. The key is not overstaying your welcome, and ensuring that the actual game part of your game isn't frustrating or clunky.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025786911/recommended/333640/

99.3 hours on record

"I like Caves of Qud quite a lot, and it deserves the positive ratings it has gotten... a lovely roguelike with beautiful tile art, a piece of far-future fiction that sci fi fans will immensely enjoy."

Not Recommended

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Unormal posted:

99.3 hours on record

"I like Caves of Qud quite a lot, and it deserves the positive ratings it has gotten... a lovely roguelike with beautiful tile art, a piece of far-future fiction that sci fi fans will immensely enjoy."

Not Recommended

What a fucker.

I read his review. "It's truly an early access game. It changes frequently. Amazing experience. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As they say, sometimes the best way to love something is to push it away.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Maybe they accidentally clicked the wrong button? :shrug:

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

That's a very immature response to what will most likely be the most polite and even-tempered negative review your game will get. Dude loves the game, but would not recommend other people get it sight-unseen in its current state. That's not unfair or even malicious. He explains clearly what's off-putting about it without bashing it at all. You are being rude, please apologize to the thread for your post.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

A LOVELY LAD posted:

SCreenshot Saturday.

SupSuper posted:

I would just put the movement arrows on top of the respective tiles (or maybe just highlight the tiles) and tuck the other buttons in screen corners.

I would rather have the arrows in the corners and the other buttons where the arrows currently are. In its current state it would be too easy to fat finger a wrong direction, and putting them on the tiles would make that worse.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

EvilDrWong posted:

That's a very immature response to what will most likely be the most polite and even-tempered negative review your game will get. Dude loves the game, but would not recommend other people get it sight-unseen in its current state. That's not unfair or even malicious. He explains clearly what's off-putting about it without bashing it at all. You are being rude, please apologize to the thread for your post.

Wrong. The guy made the narcissitic decision to post his positive review as a 'not recommended' review (which has real concrete effects) so everyone would read his positive review instead of everyone else's. His positive review was a good, even excellent, one. His decision to post it as a negative review in order to see his name in the lights was not.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

EvilDrWong posted:

OMG it's the guy who left the review :aaaaa:

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Come on Shalinor why you snitchin? :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Makin games and solvin crimes, that's Shalinor's gig.

Book 'em.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

xzzy posted:

Makin games and solvin crimes, that's Shalinor's gig.

Book 'em.
If I had a cat, I would totally rubberband a fedora to her head.

She would hate me. But wet catfood soothes all ills.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

SupSuper posted:

Manslaughter posted:

I would rather have the arrows in the corners and the other buttons where the arrows currently are. In its current state it would be too easy to fat finger a wrong direction, and putting them on the tiles would make that worse.

Cheers for the feedback folks, I did originally plan on hiving it on the tiles but the character is 2 squares high which might get in the way.

Yeah arrows in the corners sound like it could be a better shout. I have more buttons to add :doh: so im sure there will be more loving about to come (I want a rotate left and rotate right button so its almost like twin stick style controls)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Unormal posted:

99.3 hours on record

Not Recommended

Dude, grow a pair. If that's the worst loving negative review you ever get then either your game is seeing no real play or you've made an Impervious Gaming Jesus.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Sigma-X posted:

Dude, grow a pair. If that's the worst loving negative review you ever get then either your game is seeing no real play or you've made an Impervious Gaming Jesus.

(it's literally the only negative review his game has) So yes the latter

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
It has two negative reviews but apart from that yeah, it's the latter. Caves Of Qud has plenty of reviews. There are 3,700+ games on Steam and before it got that second negative review it was #13 by review score. It had over 100 positive reviews before getting a single negative one. It is Impervious Gaming Jesus.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, this is all rather convincing that the culture around steam reviews are poisonous to any idea of reasonable criticism.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Nition posted:

It has two negative reviews but apart from that yeah, it's the latter. Caves Of Qud has plenty of reviews. There are 3,700+ games on Steam and before it got that second negative review it was #13 by review score. It had over 100 positive reviews before getting a single negative one. It is Impervious Gaming Jesus.

Then all the more reason to grow a pair about it :shrug:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

need to tighten up the soap on level 3

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Sigma-X posted:

Then all the more reason to grow a pair about it :shrug:

I assumed the reason he's miffed is because they guy says it's a good game, but still gives it a negative review for some reason.

It'd annoy the heck out of me as well, because it's apparently an undeserved blemish on his otherwise 100%* positive game. This isn't just some guy saying the game is dumb or some other negative criticism, that would be ok. This person said it's a "lovely" and "beautiful" game that he "liked a lot", but it's still a negative review for seemingly no reason at all.

edit: nearly 100% positive*

edit two:
This is also correct.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 30, 2015

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

edit: actually, nevermind

Shy fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 30, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

need to tighten up the soap on level 3

For some reason the bit with all the soaps sitting around reminds me of the old Prince of Persia copy protection where you had to drink the right potion Last Crusade style to play beyond the first level.

"Choose the correct soap to continue. LAVENDER? You have chosen poorly" *child instantly skeletonizes*

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I'm pretty sure this is really obvious, but I'm a bit stuck on how I should be adding functionality to my items. Everything besides what happens when you equip one and hit "Use" can be encapsulated in a struct or data class, but the best idea I've had to let you customize item behavior without bloating the data class is to put the usage code in a component attached to the mesh, but I hate separating functionality like that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

So I'm pretty sure this is really obvious, but I'm a bit stuck on how I should be adding functionality to my items. Everything besides what happens when you equip one and hit "Use" can be encapsulated in a struct or data class, but the best idea I've had to let you customize item behavior without bloating the data class is to put the usage code in a component attached to the mesh, but I hate separating functionality like that.

Why can't you put a function pointer into the class that has all the other information? Call the function when the user invokes the item, and it does whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oh hey, that would work... you're thinking there would be a single singleton/library class that actually contained all the logic, and I'd be handing the item pointers to that?