Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

psy.Che posted:

Tier VIII is completely unplayable in Europe right now. Everybody is in their Tirpitz and way too afraid of losing their ship to actually move forward.

Sounds historically accurate for German battleships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Sounds historically accurate for German battleships.

:D

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:laffo: at 6-8 Tirpitz's per side in a battle.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

El Scotch posted:

:laffo: at 6-8 Tirpitz's per side in a battle.

Not a good time to be playing Heavy Cruiser.

Am I the only one who find Tirpitz are hard to citadel. With 406mm (North Carolina) even at 8ish kilometers it would not crit.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
it's really depressing that wargaming keeps getting rewarded for it when they attach worthless bundles to premium vehicles to boost the price.

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
Is there a way to transfer a commander from one ship to the next? I want to keep my Japanese DD commander as I advance to the next tier of ship. Also, is there anyway to free up a port slot without selling a ship? Can I store ships or something?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

sdr782 posted:

Is there a way to transfer a commander from one ship to the next? I want to keep my Japanese DD commander as I advance to the next tier of ship. Also, is there anyway to free up a port slot without selling a ship? Can I store ships or something?

By default, when you sell a ship it should dump the commander into your reserve pool. After that, just don't buy a commander with your new ship(it's a drop-down selection) and proceed to click on the commander area of the ship and select the captain you want. You'll need to retrain him though.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Lord Koth posted:

By default, when you sell a ship it should dump the commander into your reserve pool. After that, just don't buy a commander with your new ship(it's a drop-down selection) and proceed to click on the commander area of the ship and select the captain you want. You'll need to retrain him though.
Also for the 200k retraining, up to about tier 5 all it will take is 1 or 2 good matches and he'll be back up to 100% efficiency. My Cleveland Captain has 9 points, and will have at least 10 before the Pensacola and it will take a while to retrain him fully.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The Myogi is some kind of dumb bullshit. It's like they designed a ship wrong as a joke and Wargaming threw it in because they didn't have anything else to put there. The turrets are so far apart and there's only six shots. It's torture trying to hit small boats. It's also a huge target. It has no redeeming features.

The Kawachi was stupid, but at least I could pelt the hell out of whatever strayed into range.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Anyone know if there was a change to the chance of fire mechanics? In matches last night and today I've been caught on fire in my Cleveland and Pensacola, use my damage control cooldown to put the fire out, then immediately get lit on fire again. It was my understanding that there's a 20-sec immunity to fire damage after using the damage control cooldown. Unless I'm mistaken.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yahoo! Got my X with a dramatic kill on a Mutsuki with 10 seconds to go in a BB.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The Myogi is some kind of dumb bullshit. It's like they designed a ship wrong as a joke and Wargaming threw it in because they didn't have anything else to put there. The turrets are so far apart and there's only six shots. It's torture trying to hit small boats. It's also a huge target. It has no redeeming features.

The Kawachi was stupid, but at least I could pelt the hell out of whatever strayed into range.

According to a pubbie last night it has great AA coverage on the final hull. Also, it shoots out to 16km with the plane in the air.

But no, it sucks. I hate it.

So, a different pubbie last night was insisting that if you stay in a cap point you earn more points. I told him that's not how bases work. I'm correct yeah?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I cannot verify this right now but I think you might earn xp for cap points the longer you are on there. I know I've had games where I literally don't do poo poo but labs a couple of hits and park on cap ending up in the top three. That's the only reason I can think of is the amount of time I'm on cap?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Well, I snagged the pax bonus code last night in the what, 2 to 4 hours it was valid for, so I'm happy enough.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, it's actually the Es that are proving to be the bottleneck.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Sometimes a mistake turns into hilarity. Just finished firing torps at a BB, turned to duck between the islands, and saw a CA closing fast. gently caress. I'm probably dead. Popped smoke and slowed down; surely he saw me. Look at the reload timer.

Seriously? He's still going straight almost 30 seconds later!? Reload you glorious bastards!

:iamafag:

:downsbravo:

This is a good game.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The Muramask eats DDs for breakfast, so there's really no excuse.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

LegoMan posted:

Also for the 200k retraining, up to about tier 5 all it will take is 1 or 2 good matches and he'll be back up to 100% efficiency. My Cleveland Captain has 9 points, and will have at least 10 before the Pensacola and it will take a while to retrain him fully.

On the other hand, it apparently takes longer to credit retrain an 18 point captain than to train a new 18 point captain from scratch.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
So toprs on the Minekaze, are the faster 7km the better tool or are the 10k slower ones better?

The faster ones seem better against better players but a 10km strike against fat and dumb battleships could be very useful

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Foxtrot_13 posted:

So toprs on the Minekaze, are the faster 7km the better tool or are the 10k slower ones better?

The faster ones seem better against better players but a 10km strike against fat and dumb battleships could be very useful

I use the fast 7km ones. The 10km ones are going away next patch too.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I very much prefer the 7km torps over the 10km. I think the 7km torps force me to play smarter and plan ahead. Here's a direct comparison between the 7km and 10km torps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAe5rvDFtaQ

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!

Krogort posted:

60€ seems insane.

It's a package, you also get the following:

30 days of prem
2500 doubloons
a port slot
couple of gold consumables

So it's more like 40€ for the ship alone. But it sucks that they bundled it to get people to spend more.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The 10 km torpedoes actually give your opponent slightly less warning before they hit, because hidden stats that completely change how you play the game are good. On the other hand, the 7 km torpedoes are faster so they're better for hitting a ship that knows you're there and is already maneuvering. It's a matter of personal preference.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

James Garfield posted:

The 10 km torpedoes actually give your opponent slightly less warning before they hit, because hidden stats that completely change how you play the game are good. On the other hand, the 7 km torpedoes are faster so they're better for hitting a ship that knows you're there and is already maneuvering. It's a matter of personal preference.

Wait, different torps get spotted at different ranges?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Wait, different torps get spotted at different ranges?

Yes.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Torpedoes_(WoWS)

It is ~12 seconds for IJN torps and ~9 seconds for USN torps past T5.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So this just happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjTbFVT8BGg

:stonk: I didn't know that was possible

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
On EU we have a seal clubbing weekend. There's a ton of bad players around who never played a high tier BB and yet bought the Tirpitz. Lot's of yelling by angry German kids included.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

PerrineClostermann posted:

So this just happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjTbFVT8BGg

:stonk: I didn't know that was possible

Did the exact same thing in my New Mexico against a Phoenix on the same map. In other news I am now up to 120k free xp for when I finally finish the New Mexico (a little over 27,500 xp left for it). Only 44k free xp left to go and then I can skip the Colorado entirely and go straight to the North Carolina (which, having toured it as a kid, sort of makes it my favorite).

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

James Garfield posted:

On the other hand, it apparently takes longer to credit retrain an 18 point captain than to train a new 18 point captain from scratch.
wait really? That is so wargaming it hurts

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its a little questionable ethically, but since there isn't any indication of what player is playing on the detailed report screen, couldn't you just share screenshots to get someone else to the marblehead?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Read the announcement a little closer - they don't promise that everyone who submits those screenshots will get one, but rather they will select winners from among those who have submitted entries.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Read the announcement a little closer - they don't promise that everyone who submits those screenshots will get one, but rather they will select winners from among those who have submitted entries.

Actually, it says all valid entries will get the ship and credits, then there'll be a drawing for additional prizes.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Its a little questionable ethically, but since there isn't any indication of what player is playing on the detailed report screen, couldn't you just share screenshots to get someone else to the marblehead?

You could... they also said in the main post that the dude wont be checking all that closesly and might even give out the ship to people who don't get all the letters.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The grind is nasty, but this game definitely scratches an itch for me. When it's good it's really good, and it's very satisfying to salvage a bad team and end up with 6 kills. I guess tanks was similar, but something about the damage model etc in warships makes it more enjoyable. Maybe that getting citadels is more of a skill game than just knowing where to penetrate in tanks. Or I just like ships more, which given my Navyfield history wouldn't be surprising.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My last E evaded me by a tiny bit, getting himself killed by a Cleveland instead of my Kongo. Dude must've wondered why the hell a Kongo was following and blazing away at his Nicholas so long...

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

JacksLibido posted:

You could... they also said in the main post that the dude wont be checking all that closesly and might even give out the ship to people who don't get all the letters.

Also you can get them in bot games so sharing screenshots and risking getting caught is stupid because bots are retarded.

It took me like an hour in a Hosho to get all the letters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just can't find a goddamn E. I dashed through 5 cruisers to torpedo my first E successfully, but I haven't found another all day.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Allah bless you all for participating in this WG shenanigan.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hey, a free boat and all I have to do to get it is murder some boats, a thing I'd have done anyway, and press print screen a few times? I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm just trying to damage all the letters so i can shop it up.

It's halfway honest

DiHK fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 30, 2015