Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should definitely poo poo on a guy who is generally very helpful and quick to offer assistance when needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

MC Hawking posted:

It's about loving time someone said it. Christ.

You do absolutely nothing but loving bitch and moan in this thread

At least he actually offers help

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

lol, send him a meltdown pm about it

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Android or apple. Which is better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Android is about freedom. iPhone is about doing what your told.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 20, 2018

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

MC Hawking posted:

MC Hawking posted:

Settle down nerds

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Yo android goons. I hope this is the right thread for this. Today my Nexus 5 bricked. Or, that is to say, it's stuck in a bootloop of sorts. I have no idea what happened initially. I was sliding through pictures on somebody on Tinder, when suddenly everything froze, and then the phone rebooted. For the longest time it was stuck on the google logo, and I tried turning it off and on again, and then it got past that but got stuck on the dancing colours. At one point I saw a weird android logo where the last D was replaced by a green cog or whatever, but it wouldn't go past that so I tried rebooting again afterwards.

After some desperate googling I tried restoring it to factory settings. The restore itself seemed to work out alright, but when I rebooted again after that it was just stuck on the dancing lights for over an hour, so I gave up and shut it off.

Any ideas for what I can do from here on to try to rescue the phone, if at all possible? If I just get it up and running again I'll be happy. The only really important stuff I've synced with google (photos, contacts, calendar entries, that sort of thing)

I was running the latest version of Android for the N5.

Also, really sorry for the vague and terrible descriptions here. I'm not too tech-savvy when it comes to Android.

Would really appreciate any and all help. I'm back to using an old iPhone 4s now, which is pretty terrible in comparison, and I don't have the funds to shell out for an entirely new phone at this point...

ulvir fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 29, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I don't want to take a dump directly on LastInLine, he does often offer help and have good advice.

His opinions on some things are just bizarrely hateful, and he treats them as absolute fact to an audience that's generally interested. That's infuriating, when he's wrong. Fortunately, that isn't constant. Just when it comes to the computer side of phones.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I appreciate LastInLine's valiant efforts to steer people from making bad decisions. And much like Jesus, even when they make those bad decisions, he forgives them and offers his help.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
To be fair to LastInLine, he's generally helpful when it comes to things he likes. If it has anything to do with Samsung, Windows, SD cards, or really any Android phone that isn't a Nexus or Moto you can safely dismiss it as incorrect bullshit.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

The filesystem marriage option is simply going to be to supplement poorphones.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing - certainly better than being stuck with 2GB of storage like on a basic carrier (or Huawei) branded model. That isn't even sufficient to update all the apps that come with the phone, let alone think about installing anything else.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The problem with distributing the primary filesystem onto the SD card is that it opens the possibility that files are split across the internal memory and the SD, possibly even system files, and if that flaky, unreliable SD card goes tits up the whole phone is hosed unless you reflash it.

Hypothetically the system could keep track of which disk addresses are on the NAND and not place system critical files outside it, but do we honestly expect Google not to gently caress that up somehow?

Plus, if data can be coming from either fast internal memory or slow SD card memory it makes it much harder to write a well-performing IO scheduler. Again, something I don't trust Google to get right on the first try.

The real answer is for manufacturers to stop releasing phones with <64 gigs of internal storage, but carriers are loving terrified of trying to convince consumers to pay the extra $50. I am stuck with only 32gigs in my Note 4 because US Cellular refuses to even stock the 64 gig version.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

ulvir posted:

The Android Thread - I was sliding through pictures on somebody on Tinder, when suddenly everything froze

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Desk Lamp posted:

To be fair to LastInLine, he's generally helpful when it comes to things he likes. If it has anything to do with Samsung, Windows, SD cards, or really any Android phone that isn't a Nexus or Moto you can safely dismiss it as incorrect bullshit.

To be fair to LastInLine though, he's generally right that you should be buying a Nexus or a Moto if you need an Android phone.

In the unlikely case that Samsung, LG, or Huawei learns how to do software, they could someday be in the conversation too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Huawei slaps a skin on android that is more appealing to the asian market but is nowhere as bad as Samsung's or LG's shitfest. This is coming from someone that owned a Galaxy S, S4, uses a Huawei Ascend G6 as workphone and swapped wife's LG shitphone for an HTC one.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Whats still wrong with Samsung I spent like 20 minutes messing around w the Note 5 and didn't see anything bad. I had one in the bad old days of touchwiz this seems to be leaps and bounds better.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
After reading this thread I hate all manufacturers and will never own a cell phone again.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

New thread title is excellent.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LionYeti posted:

Whats still wrong with Samsung I spent like 20 minutes messing around w the Note 5 and didn't see anything bad. I had one in the bad old days of touchwiz this seems to be leaps and bounds better.

Yes, it is waaaaay better on the newer devices but it still has too much bloat and useless samsung apps. It was silly the difference in storage usage between a Galaxy S4 with touchwiz and a Google Play edition, I had 9gb free (out of 16gb) with Touchwiz while I had 12gb free when I flashed it with the Google Play rom. You can squeeze more battery life without touchwiz and less ram usage (more for multitasking). You can see this clearly putting a Note 5 and a Nexus 6 side by side. Touchwiz kicks out of memory apps faster than stock android making multitasking slower. I don't talk about touchwiz being ugly because it's a matter of taste and I don't mind what font or icons people use.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 30, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LionYeti posted:

Still a bunch of bloat, still has lovely UI elements you can't easily fix, still costs $800.

They are less bad than they used to be. They still aren't "good".

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

FistEnergy posted:

To be fair to LastInLine though, he's generally right that you should be buying a Nexus or a Moto if you need an Android phone.

In the unlikely case that Samsung, LG, or Huawei learns how to do software, they could someday be in the conversation too.

It's always hilarious when people say things like this, whenever they have to back it up they either:

A) Cite a bunch of evidence from 2011 as if it still applies.

B) Refer to "issues" that aren't even objective drawbacks much less dealbreakers.

Or

C) Straight up make up poo poo that sounds like it could be true if you've never used any of the devices in question.

You can see it in action on this very page.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

It's always hilarious when people say things like this, whenever they have to back it up they either:

A) Cite a bunch of evidence from 2011 as if it still applies.

B) Refer to "issues" that aren't even objective drawbacks much less dealbreakers.

Or

C) Straight up make up poo poo that sounds like it could be true if you've never used any of the devices in question.

You can see it in action on this very page.

This post is just as bad as what you're accusing others of. It does nothing but stir the pot.

Please respond to individual posts containing incorrect information. Please do not make posts like this.

ilkhan posted:

Still a bunch of bloat, still has lovely UI elements you can't easily fix, still costs $800.

They are less bad than they used to be. They still aren't "good".

Also do not make posts like this. Like, I agree with you, but Samsung devices are everywhere and throwing out generalities like this does nothing but irritate everyone who uses them. Please be specific.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

butt dickus posted:

I appreciate LastInLine's valiant efforts to steer people from making bad decisions. And much like Jesus, even when they make those bad decisions, he forgives them and offers his help.
LastInLine is Android Jesus

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

IuniusBrutus posted:

New thread title is excellent.

Best since fastball into a wall.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Dear Motorola please announce launch dates of the new X. I'm getting tired of my battery in my M7 lasting 5-6 hours.

I played a bit with the G4 in the store . How long does it take to get used to the buttons on the back? It felt nice in the hand and LGs add-ons didn't seem too bad.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The buttons on the back are a non issue for me

The software however is - it isn't really apparent from a quick play just how much stuff LG has messed up so you'll just keep finding more and more wtf stuff

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

calandryll posted:

Dear Motorola please announce launch dates of the new X. I'm getting tired of my battery in my M7 lasting 5-6 hours.

I played a bit with the G4 in the store . How long does it take to get used to the buttons on the back? It felt nice in the hand and LGs add-ons didn't seem too bad.

The doublet tap to wake and sleep is convenient and pretty accurate, so I don't think you end up using the back buttons too much.

I will say, though, I thought that was the most convenient way to turn on your phone, and then I got a Moto X :aaaaa: Just reach for your phone and the lock screen (well, sort of) pops up for you.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The problem with distributing the primary filesystem onto the SD card is that it opens the possibility that files are split across the internal memory and the SD, possibly even system files, and if that flaky, unreliable SD card goes tits up the whole phone is hosed unless you reflash it.

Hypothetically the system could keep track of which disk addresses are on the NAND and not place system critical files outside it, but do we honestly expect Google not to gently caress that up somehow?

Plus, if data can be coming from either fast internal memory or slow SD card memory it makes it much harder to write a well-performing IO scheduler. Again, something I don't trust Google to get right on the first try.

The real answer is for manufacturers to stop releasing phones with <64 gigs of internal storage, but carriers are loving terrified of trying to convince consumers to pay the extra $50. I am stuck with only 32gigs in my Note 4 because US Cellular refuses to even stock the 64 gig version.
System files are stored on the system partition, so it's just a matter of ensuring the system partition is on the NAND. I agree about IO scheduling and stopping releasing phones with small internal storage.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Looks like the SGS5 isn't getting Marshmallow. Wow. Like there wasn't enough reasons to dump on Samsung.

http://www.slashgear.com/android-marshmallow-coming-to-galaxy-s6-note-5-not-s5-26399483/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

binarysmurf posted:

Looks like the SGS5 isn't getting Marshmallow. Wow. Like there wasn't enough reasons to dump on Samsung.

http://www.slashgear.com/android-marshmallow-coming-to-galaxy-s6-note-5-not-s5-26399483/

quote:

UPDATE: An earlier version of this article was worded in a way that suggested it was Samsung that sent out the list directly. This earlier version of the article also included a title which pointed out the lack of a Galaxy S5 in the Marshmallow update list - that bit has been removed as we've become less confident in the lack of an update for this device in the future. We'll see!

IOW: the person who wrote this cribbed it from some other blog and has no idea what the hell they're writing.

There are plenty of reasons why you should not purchase Samsung products, but crap blogspam is not one of them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

binarysmurf posted:

:lol: after seeing how turbotastic Lollipop was after Verizon got their paws on it, I can't imagine how bad something like a permanently-affixed SD card would be when undertaken by Samsung.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ulvir posted:

Yo android goons. I hope this is the right thread for this. Today my Nexus 5 bricked. Or, that is to say, it's stuck in a bootloop of sorts. I have no idea what happened initially. I was sliding through pictures on somebody on Tinder, when suddenly everything froze, and then the phone rebooted. For the longest time it was stuck on the google logo, and I tried turning it off and on again, and then it got past that but got stuck on the dancing colours. At one point I saw a weird android logo where the last D was replaced by a green cog or whatever, but it wouldn't go past that so I tried rebooting again afterwards.

After some desperate googling I tried restoring it to factory settings. The restore itself seemed to work out alright, but when I rebooted again after that it was just stuck on the dancing lights for over an hour, so I gave up and shut it off.

Any ideas for what I can do from here on to try to rescue the phone, if at all possible? If I just get it up and running again I'll be happy. The only really important stuff I've synced with google (photos, contacts, calendar entries, that sort of thing)

I was running the latest version of Android for the N5.

Also, really sorry for the vague and terrible descriptions here. I'm not too tech-savvy when it comes to Android.

Would really appreciate any and all help. I'm back to using an old iPhone 4s now, which is pretty terrible in comparison, and I don't have the funds to shell out for an entirely new phone at this point...

I really think you're hosed here but the device being a Nexus you do have a route most people don't have which is reflashing the factory image. The factory images are here. You'll need to have the Android SDK installed and working on your computer. You'll need to go about halfway down that link and get the "SDK Tools Only" which is the only part you need. If you're on Windows god help you get the driver working, I just did that again for the first time since my Nexus One days and it's good to see that it's still horrible.

Once you do that you can follow the instructions on the Nexus Images page to reflash all the software on your device to the latest factory image.

Or you can just accept that you're hosed which I really think you are and save yourself an hour of downloading and setup and five minutes of doing the task. If I had to guess I'd say you have some bad internal storage NAND which given the last page or so is ironic but in a way that isn't funny to you. I'm almost certain that if you tried to flash the stock images you'd see one of two failure modes where either they'd fail to flash in the middle of one of the steps citing some verification error or it would flash then exhibit the same behavior you just saw where it would work until needed that specific bit of storage then disintegrate before your eyes. You know it would be after you spent two hours setting the device back up to the way it was.

If you want to PM me I'll be happy to walk you through the process over Hangouts or something but I think you're just screwed.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So my wife's Galaxy S3 finally decided that it didn't want to live anymore after three years of faithful service. She really likes my Moto G so I was thinking of just giving that to her.

Would getting an Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 be a terrible idea? Supposedly it has a really nice camera but it's kind of a "literally who?" manufacturer, at least as far as I'm aware, so I'm a bit concerned about getting updates. The reviews seem pretty great though.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

ulvir posted:

Not an awful lot, unfortunately; exact same thing happened to me a month or two back, so I'm currently using a drug dealer Nokia until this year's phone announcement :)

You can mess around trying to re-flash Android, and it will work for a while, but as LiL said, as the internal storage is failing it's only a matter of time until it happens again.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I really think you're hosed here but the device being a Nexus you do have a route most people don't have which is reflashing the factory image. The factory images are here. You'll need to have the Android SDK installed and working on your computer. You'll need to go about halfway down that link and get the "SDK Tools Only" which is the only part you need. If you're on Windows god help you get the driver working, I just did that again for the first time since my Nexus One days and it's good to see that it's still horrible.

Once you do that you can follow the instructions on the Nexus Images page to reflash all the software on your device to the latest factory image.

Or you can just accept that you're hosed which I really think you are and save yourself an hour of downloading and setup and five minutes of doing the task. If I had to guess I'd say you have some bad internal storage NAND which given the last page or so is ironic but in a way that isn't funny to you. I'm almost certain that if you tried to flash the stock images you'd see one of two failure modes where either they'd fail to flash in the middle of one of the steps citing some verification error or it would flash then exhibit the same behavior you just saw where it would work until needed that specific bit of storage then disintegrate before your eyes. You know it would be after you spent two hours setting the device back up to the way it was.

If you want to PM me I'll be happy to walk you through the process over Hangouts or something but I think you're just screwed.

spincube posted:

Not an awful lot, unfortunately; exact same thing happened to me a month or two back, so I'm currently using a drug dealer Nokia until this year's phone announcement :)

You can mess around trying to re-flash Android, and it will work for a while, but as LiL said, as the internal storage is failing it's only a matter of time until it happens again.

This is really disheartening, but thanks for the replies anyway.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ulvir posted:

This is really disheartening, but thanks for the replies anyway.

I don't know what the warranty is like on the Nexus 5, but that combined with whatever your credit card company might offer (usually an extra year on top of the manufacturer) could possibly mean you're still in warranty. Might want to check your CC terms and see.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'd say it's more the carriers / manufacturers not wanting to give up the overpriced upgrade upsell.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Super Dude posted:

I don't know what the warranty is like on the Nexus 5, but that combined with whatever your credit card company might offer (usually an extra year on top of the manufacturer) could possibly mean you're still in warranty. Might want to check your CC terms and see.

Naw, I imported the phone over from England through some acquaintances of mine (transfered the money to them, they paid with their own CC) before it was available in stores over here, and before Norway was eligible for Nexus devices through the Google Store. Pretty SOL on that front, sadly. I was well aware of the risks, but it never crossed my mind that something actually might happen to the phone. Every single device I've own previously have all been working perfectly. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

So I've come into possession of a contract free note 5 on a different carrier than mine, called the carrier to get the MSL, got it, and... now I don't know what to do. I went to my carrier and got a sim card for it, but when i put it in instead of asking for a code it just says "invalid sim." When i go to the UICC Unlock option under system update it says "Your UICC can only be used on your carrier right now. To use it on a different carrier contact customer care." But when I contact customer care - for either carrier - they tell me it's on the other carrier to do it.

I am lost and just want my phone to work. :saddowns: