Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Sleeveless posted:

Guy who made a show about Doc Brown getting Marty to lick his balls outraged at people not respecting his intellectual property rights and boundaries of common decency.

Does everybody know what this is about besides me? I listened to the interview and he doesn't really explain it there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Rick smashing things sounds like it would be a more apt expression of his frustration and despair than the aborted suicide attempt, especially since its the first time he's expressing such feelings in front of the audience.

It also hurts things from a storytelling position because when you start with the 'nuclear option' there's nothing they can really do to build on it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Megaspel posted:

Does everybody know what this is about besides me? I listened to the interview and he doesn't really explain it there either.

It's part of the original short that got expanded into the series.

Click at your own peril definitely :nws:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Irish Joe posted:

Rick smashing things sounds like it would be a more apt expression of his frustration and despair than the aborted suicide attempt, especially since its the first time he's expressing such feelings in front of the audience.

It also hurts things from a storytelling position because when you start with the 'nuclear option' there's nothing they can really do to build on it.

Eh...matter of taste with the first line I'd say (could debate Rick's character, but whatevs), but possibly true with the second line.

Then again, this thread has multiple pages of: "There's no way they can top this, they can't push it further." and yet on it goes. :v:

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 29, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Justin's talking about people getting mad at him for the Jellybean scene.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Mokinokaro posted:

It's part of the original short that got expanded into the series.

Click at your own peril definitely :nws:

I know about that, I think I'm just missing out on whatever specific controversy we're talking about.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Everyone talking about this interview and nobody mentioned that right at the end they confirm a second Rixty Minutes episode, S2E08.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Funkmaster General posted:

Everyone talking about this interview and nobody mentioned that right at the end they confirm a second Rixty Minutes episode, S2E08.

That's because they confirmed that there's going to be one every season a while ago. Perhaps the exact episode of Season 2 it's gonna be is news though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

CrazyLoon posted:

Eh...matter of taste with the first line I'd say (could debate Rick's character, but whatevs), but possibly true with the second line.

Then again, this thread has multiple pages of: "There's no way they can top this, they can't push it further." and yet on it goes. :v:

But "rock bottom" is a perfectly valid place to start a character arc. One of the best, even. From there you start growing the character slowly, a bit at a time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dubstep Jesus posted:

That's because they confirmed that there's going to be one every season a while ago. Perhaps the exact episode of Season 2 it's gonna be is news though.

Cool. Hope this becomes the "paintball" episodes of this show. You know, drive that one fresh idea into the ground.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Ok. Getting two different stories here.

In the interview, Justin was pissed because a fan tried to insert his own theory about jellybean rape scene, or the reason why Rick tried to de-atomize himself?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Excelsiortothemax posted:

In the interview, Justin was pissed because a fan tried to insert his own theory about jellybean rape scene, or the reason why Rick tried to de-atomize himself?

It was pretty clear. Justin got yelled at by tumblr because they didn't appreciate him putting something like that in his show which 'triggers' them and makes them feel bad. They went after him because he made them feel bad.

If tumblr feels bad, they get angry.

He said that he feels very sympathetic towards people who have had abuses toward them, but he doesn't believe you should get mad at a person for putting these real life situation into art because it's telling a story and not giving his stance on the subject.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Making people feel things is very problematic.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

I think smashing things does sound more like a Rick thing to do, which is why I think it makes sense that he wouldn't do it this time. This is after something that has affected him in a way that hasn't been explored previously in the show (at least not to my knowledge, I've missed a couple episodes).

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Irish Joe posted:

Just reminding you that you posted this about a show where both of the main characters died in a violent explosion last season.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I assumed he was talking about Tumblr's overwrought reaction to this.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

He said that he feels very sympathetic towards people who have had abuses toward them, but he doesn't believe you should get mad at a person for putting these real life situation into art because it's telling a story and not giving his stance on the subject.

I'll never get how people can consume so much media, discuss so much media, care so much about media, and still not understand this.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's because people have this idea that entertainment should be fun, when that's not even close to universally true.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I'll never get how people can consume so much media, discuss so much media, care so much about media, and still not understand this.

It's not about how much media they consume, it's about what kind. Look at what Tumblrteens gobble up: Steven Universe, The Avengers, Harry Potter, Pokemon... It's all stuff designed for teenagers and children. The reason they react this way is because they're mentally and emotionally stunted because of a constant diet of the media equivalent of dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets and Kraft macaroni and cheese.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Teens desire media aimed at teens. Yep, this sure is a sign of the apocalypse.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
All four of those things are good

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's not about how much media they consume, it's about what kind. Look at what Tumblrteens gobble up: Steven Universe, The Avengers, Harry Potter, Pokemon... It's all stuff designed for teenagers and children. The reason they react this way is because they're mentally and emotionally stunted because of a constant diet of the media equivalent of dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets and Kraft macaroni and cheese.

Steven Universe is a great show and is also incredibly subversive and bucks a lot of bad cartoon tropes, hope this helps!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Philip Rivers posted:

Steven Universe is a great show and is also incredibly subversive and bucks a lot of bad cartoon tropes, hope this helps!

Condescending, dismissive tone, self-admiration, and a love of children's television?

I found the Tumblrer.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Bobulus posted:

Teens desire media aimed at teens. Yep, this sure is a sign of the apocalypse.

The problem is the ones who aren't teenagers.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Condescending, dismissive tone, self-admiration, and a love of children's television?

I found the Tumblrer.

Yes because it's impossible for art to have any merits unless it's mature art for a mature audience such as myself. :rolleyes:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Philip Rivers posted:

Yes because it's impossible for art to have any merits unless it's mature art for a mature audience such as myself. :rolleyes:

What was that about a condescending, dismissive tone?

E: look it's fine if you like TV for kids, but don't be a douche about it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Truly, the media consumed by today's youth is a sure sign of the degeneracy of modern society. It's all so childish, they're just pampered immature brats who never want to grow up.

By the way what was your favorite episode of Rick and Morty, mine was the one with Mister Poopy Butthole

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What was that about a condescending, dismissive tone?

E: look it's fine if you like TV for kids, but don't be a douche about it

A children's TV show that has found a way to get past network censorship and tackle queer issues is actually A Big Deal because there really isn't much in the way of queer friendly media for younger folks.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

A children's TV show that has found a way to get past network censorship and tackle queer issues is actually A Big Deal because there really isn't much in the way of queer friendly media for younger folks.

Ah, so you must defend its honor in the most abrasive way possible.

I have no dog in this fight. I haven't seen your beloved show, nor do I much care about it. Stop oppressing me!!!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Wow are you ever insufferable. What is it about Steven Universe that so deeply upsets you?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

Wow are you ever insufferable. What is it about Steven Universe that so deeply upsets you?

I think you have misunderstood something here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tumblr triggers my timbers.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hmm it appears this thread has turned to absolute poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The irony is, it became poo poo because of Mr. Poopy Butthole.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Hmm it appears this thread has turned to absolute poo poo

eventually, the cancer that is dota spreads through all that it touches

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Philip Rivers posted:

The show is really grating, especially the main character. Every time I say this, someone always chimes in to say, "just watch it to this episode and it gets good". The last time this happened they told me to watch to episode 40.

This show I can watch every episode and like all of them. This is part of what distinguishes a good show from a bad show.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
poop

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Nevermind can I change my answer to this?

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Well enough about the metaphor lesbians, how about that Rick and Morty. I got good feelings about the next episode, gonna kick the that last one outta park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

The irony is, it became poo poo because of Mr. Poopy Butthole.

I liked the part of the interview right at the end where they confirm that MPB will be back later this season :)

And yea looking forward to Stephen Colbert as an alien who lives inside Rick's space-car battery, I wonder if Roiland will ever end up on the new Late Show

• Locked thread