Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PO'ed EX, who's with me?

Wamdoodle posted:

Personally I'm ready for a HD remake of this. Looking forward to the high def walking butts :tutbutt:
I could have swore Kaiser had already done some reverse-engineering work on it yeeeeears ago to rip its sprites for a Doom mod...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

the wizards beard posted:

That's assuming an emulator doesn't already exist. It seems really unlikely they would bother for a single title though.

It's safe to say they probably don't have one suitable for your average computer user to be able to use, although they probably have several that can handle 360 games on a certain subset of hardware.

Edit: Among other things, because the system relied on being able to execute on 6 hardware threads and a ton of CPUs in use still only have 4 or less. So that could make an emulation system for it extremely difficult to do cleanly on many Windows PCs.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 28, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

It's possible their screen isn't showing it at all because of contrast or black level shenanigans. The first time the topic came up I was looking at it on my phone and it just wasn't there. When I saw it on my laptop I saw it immediately.

Yeah, it's still there if you blow out the levels.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dominic White posted:

It should be noted that most high-end Quake mapping is done exclusively with Quakespasm in mind and tested with it. Super8 will get you that authentic 90s feel, but will struggle with cutting edge community stuff.

Yeah, software rendering unfortunately doesn't scale very well when the polycount goes up, but a modern CPU should handle pretty much anything short of say, an A Roman Wilderness of Pain map at a playable framerate. To me the bigger problem is that skyboxes are all made for truecolor and tend to look horrible in the Quake palette.

In other news the map set Rapture has some inexcusably bad custom enemies. Like special versions of the Knight and Death Knight that have double the health and different skins. They don't seem to do anything special, they just take forever to die. And I do mean forever in the case of the Death Knight reskins because they have 500 loving hitpoints you have to chew through before they finally drop dead. There are these "Baron" bosses taken from Nehahra that are just circle-strafe fodder.

Woolie Wool posted:

TRONYYYYYYYYYN! :argh:

The architecture is great though, and it's a better use of Daikatana and Hexen II textures than Daikatana and Hexen II themselves.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 28, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I wish Q1 mappers were more willing to give you the Lighting Gun. The Super Nailgun is a great weapon, but I'd love to have the Lighting Gun as a dedicated Vore/Shamber buster so the SNG doesn't have to pull triple duty as crowd control, emergency weapon, and tough enemy destroyer. :argh:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The rocket launcher is usually better for Vores than the Super Nailgun. Vores don't resist rockets and aren't mobile enough to close the distance on you.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

The rocket launcher is usually better for Vores than the Super Nailgun. Vores don't resist rockets and aren't mobile enough to close the distance on you.

Tossing a lot of projectiles at a Vore with the SNG means more of a chance for him to be briefly stunned, which leads to one less Vore bomb you need to dance around. :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That's what cover is for. Pop out, take your shot, get back behind the wall before the vore ball gets close enough to follow you around it.

EDIT: "Ancient Realms" from Scourge of Aramgon is an insane jump up in difficulty from the first episode. :stare:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 29, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Some more Quake 1 map mini-reviews:

PC Gamer Warehouse: A fun but short little gimmick map. Map flow is good, but the Sliver Key door isn't obvious at all because it uses a texture that in no way indicated it's a door you need to open with a key. Thankfulyl, the map is short, so figuring it out is easy. The last fight is a huge spike in difficulty compared to previous parts of the map, though with a bit of maneuivering, it's a breeze. The map has a ton of Enforcers and Grunts, along with a fairly early Grenade Launcher, so you can really make the gibs fly in this map. :q:

Elsinore: A really good map for 1997. Combat is a bit too easy, but the map has several cool visual touches. The map design is a bit too tight to really move around, though. The Gold Key room in particular is awesome; when you kit a key, the entrance to the room and it's fascade appear out of a nearby wall and lava pit. The map designer is nice enough to give you secrets that contain a Quad Damage and Pentagram each very close to each other, so you can go on a nice rampage if you pick both of them up.

The Tomb of Chak Toh Ich`ak: The best way to describe it is "Big and lots of enemies". The map is designed with a central hub that has several sections you can enter and exit. You need a key or runes to open each section. There are a ton of enemies in this map, but thankfully there's plenty of room and/or cover to dodge enemies. Infighting is a huge help in this map; there are several close-quarters Vore encounters that become a piece of cake if you cause some nearby Knights to start in-fighting with the Vore. The Silver Key room has four Vores, several Death Knights, and the only cover is a large and thick pillar in the center of the room, so you better be ready to start running in a circle and let the bombs smack into the center pillar. The final fight is chaos; it consists of two floors. The first has several Shamblers and a Spawn just to piss you off, while the second floor is stuffed with Death Knights, Ogres, and Vores. However, the Vores, Death Knights, and Ogres will happily take each other out for you with a little bit of dodging on your end via infighting, so the real issue is the Shamblers.

Nail and rocket ammo is plentiful, so you don't have to conserve ammo all the time with the Super Shotgun. However, there are some fights in tight areas, so your Super Shotgun will still be getting a workout.

Architecture is a bit plain, but consdering how much combat is in this map, I'd prefer that than getting caught on some fancy brushwork and get mauled by some Fiends I was trying to avoid. The texturing does make up for it, though.

Judging by the amount of nail pickups early in the map, I think there was a Nailgun I was supposed to pick up, but I never found it, so it was just me and Mr. Super Shotgun until I found the Grenade Launcher. :v:

Overall, it's a very fun map. If you're not the best at crowd control and Vores, it can be quite difficult, but for me, the challenge was just right.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 29, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Played a bit of Quake 1.06 (installed off an OEM CD that I got with a joystick in 1998) for DOS with CRT phosphor emulation. You get my respect if you made it through the game on hard or nightmare with it looking like this:

Not to mention that someone playing it back in 1996 would not have had a laser mouse with adjustable DPI and lift-off distance and their CRT would be 13-15" instead of my LCD's 24".

I had to even install the thing under DOSBox because even when using the setup32 utility, the installer gave me this:

the Windows 95 Quake installer posted:

Quake will not run under Windows NT.

Oh really? :smugdog:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 29, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

Played a bit of Quake 1.06 (installed off an OEM CD that I got with a joystick in 1998) for DOS with CRT phosphor emulation. You get my respect if you made it through the game on hard or nightmare with it looking like this:

Not to mention that someone playing it back in 1996 would not have had a laser mouse with adjustable DPI and lift-off distance and their CRT would be 13-15" instead of my LCD's 24".

I had to even install the thing under DOSBox because even when using the setup32 utility, the installer gave me this:

Oh really? :smugdog:

That CRT phosphor filter looks pretty crap and completely unlike a CRT. Seems like it just attempted to jam in seperations between pixels to replicate a low end CRT TV from the 80s?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Does Quake ever get less... brown? Doom made good use of blues, reds, and greens... quake just seems really brown.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I have had a lot of CRT monitors, and have a cheap 90's CRT in my room right now, and not a one has ever looked like that. CRT monitors were basically as sharp or sharper than your average modern LCD screen, unless you're going back to the very very first color TV sets or something.

Keiya posted:

Does Quake ever get less... brown? Doom made good use of blues, reds, and greens... quake just seems really brown.

Nope, Quake is Brown City.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Keiya posted:

The Metal and Wizard themes are grey and blue.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

I have had a lot of CRT monitors, and have a cheap 90's CRT in my room right now, and not a one has ever looked like that. CRT monitors were basically as sharp or sharper than your average modern LCD screen, unless you're going back to the very very first color TV sets or something.

People who write "CRT emulators" generally came from a console gaming background, not a PC gaming background, so their reference point is the half-broken old TV that their dads let them took to their bedroom after the family bought a new, better TV for the living room. The idea that there were CRTs were you didn't need to be ten meters away for the subpixel elements to stop being visible separately never enters their mind. Same poo poo also explains scanlines, a thing that I never ever saw on a computer screen, or at least not without being so close I'd leave noseprints on the screen.

What I do remember from CRT monitors, however, is how curved they were. You got used to it, but then when you'd buy a newer, better one it'd just look incredibly flat and make the previous seem absurdly round.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 29, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There was also the weird times where the glass on the front of the CRT was bulged out, but the actual phosphor part was significantly flatter inside.

One thing I hate though, is in my last move I had to leave my nice NEC AccuSync 700 behind, just no room in the car for it. Nice flat front CRT, worked great with my old computers, though I was able to get a VGA LCD screen to use with them instead.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

Nonsense. There's also plenty of washed out reds and greys!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The sky is nice and purple I guess.

Anyone know whether the limited palette was an artistic decision or just a technical limitation?

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
My iiyama CRT was flat with a very crisp image, you just had to ignore the horizontal strips across the screen

Quake episode 3 isn't too brown but only uses about six textures

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Keiya posted:

It gets blue, and even slightly green at a couple of points.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
The Quake and Duke3D palettes are pretty similar actually. Duke has a few more neons and possibly one more range of blue iirc. I had a comparison image lying around on my PC, but I'm phoneposting atm.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Looks like Terminus uploaded a video on Gun Feedback. Hope he doesn't mind me linking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf-xxGkkWPs

Has anyone ever come across "psychic_bulletsnhand.wad"? He is using it at about 2:03 in if the time stamp messes up. Looks like a neat little weapons replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf-xxGkkWPs&t=123s

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Convex posted:

The sky is nice and purple I guess.

Anyone know whether the limited palette was an artistic decision or just a technical limitation?

Quake's palette is so limited because they tried to capture the dreary atmosphere of Dark Souls 15 years early with only 256 colors to work with.

Also for something called "EZQuake", EZQuake is remarkably difficult to set up to just look like Quake. No lighting fuckery, no fancy particle effects, NO BRIGHTSKINS, no weird HUD layout, no ESports poo poo, just give me Quake the way it was goddamn supposed to look. gently caress, if someone wants to bring QuakeWorld to a larger audience, you'd be better off deleting over 90% of the cvars and locking everything down to look like and function like Quake out of the box in 1996.

E: I think at least giving a server option to disable movement exploits (bunny hopping, strafe jumping, etc.) would also make it a lot more accessible.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 29, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

E: I think at least giving a server option to disable movement exploits (bunny hopping, strafe jumping, etc.) would also make it a lot more accessible.

if you did that though the unending tears of the whiniest humans imaginable would never end

arcsig
May 29, 2015

The movement exploits are part of what make Quake what it is, though. I mean, by Quake 3 they went from being an exploit to a core gameplay mechanic and selling point.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
You can't fully turn off that aspect of the physics without making the game feel like crap, even for regular play.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

This would be exceedingly difficult to do. You'd basically need to have a whole separate physics engine coded up for that multiplayer mode.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

gently caress, if someone wants to bring QuakeWorld to a larger audience, you'd be better off deleting over 90% of the cvars and locking everything down to look like and function like Quake out of the box in 1996.

Thank god people like you have no say in the matter.

Segmentation Fault posted:

if you did that though the unending tears of the whiniest humans imaginable would never end
People would complain if you took the game they've spent years playing and destroyed it for a hypothetical 'mass audience' that would never materialise, yes. Those pathetic losers!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Wamdoodle posted:

Looks like Terminus uploaded a video on Gun Feedback. Hope he doesn't mind me linking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf-xxGkkWPs

That was an excellent tract on feedback by Term. I was watching some of Twiggymouse's Doom LP vids and got to thinking about how satisfying the Super Shotty is as a whole. Just the report and reloading animation makes it so fun to use. Modders need to keep stuff like that in mind when making their arsenal.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Tippis posted:

It gets blue, and even slightly green at a couple of points.

Yeah honestly, while it certainly has Brown covered, it also makes prominent use of green, blue, gray, and orange. It's all muted/earthy though. Seems like an artistic choice FWIW.

Woolie Wool posted:

Also for something called "EZQuake", EZQuake is remarkably difficult to set up to just look like Quake. No lighting fuckery, no fancy particle effects, NO BRIGHTSKINS, no weird HUD layout, no ESports poo poo, just give me Quake the way it was goddamn supposed to look. gently caress, if someone wants to bring QuakeWorld to a larger audience, you'd be better off deleting over 90% of the cvars and locking everything down to look like and function like Quake out of the box in 1996.

Well, "ezQuake" is meant to make it "ez" to play QuakeWorld as it is today. If you want 1996 Quake there are other projects aimed that direction.

Also I'd have to agree with the dudes above that you wouldn't make hardly anyone happy by starting with QuakeWorld and then subtracting large bits of its QuakeWorldiness... you'd lose old folks and the new folks still wouldn't care. :shrug:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Remember how ~~progamers~~ started QQing over how apparently Doom 4 won't have bunny hopping? GAME INSTANTLY RUINED

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Korendian Leader posted:

People would complain if you took the game they've spent years playing and destroyed it for a hypothetical 'mass audience' that would never materialise, yes. Those pathetic losers!

We're not talking about removing something, we're talking about adding in an option, but please keep proving my point

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Segmentation Fault posted:

We're not talking about removing something, we're talking about adding in an option, but please keep proving my point

It's not just adding an option, so much as it is having to code a whole separate physics engine and bugtest it, in order to prevent that stuff from working.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Which would take a non-trivial amount of time and effort for a virtually non-existent audience. If you feel passionate about it, make your own fork of ezquake.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Stripping the modern graphics and HUD out of EzQuake isn't hard anyways. Just takes deleting a few .pk3s and it's back to looking classic.

Doing this also wipes the anticheat system, but if you're playing with bots, that's not a problem.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Linguica posted:

Remember how ~~progamers~~ started QQing over how apparently Doom 4 won't have bunny hopping? GAME INSTANTLY RUINED

Especially funny because it's a sequel to a game that had no jumping at all and only two very simple movement exploits, one of which was extremely situational (wallrunning), the other almost useless (SR-50), and pretty much all C/S Doom ports allow the host to disable wallrunning.

But seriously I'd love to have an internet time machine so I could play QuakeWorld against QuakeSpy users from 1997/98 before all the exploits and ~esports~ bullshit really took off. Would playing against 28.8K modem users on modern broadband be cheating?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 29, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Keiya posted:

It's pretty brown.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Linguica posted:

I misread this initially and was wondering why programmers would particularly care about how Quake plays.

Well, other than Carmack, I guess.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's not just adding an option, so much as it is having to code a whole separate physics engine and bugtest it, in order to prevent that stuff from working.

Wouldn't preventing bunnyhopping essentially just require a check to see if the player has jumped in X milliseconds, where X is the time to jump and hit the ground + some arbitrary period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If you want to recreate 1997-era QuakeWorld, just grab some bots made in 1997 or so, like Reaperbots and Zeusbots, and go to town. They should play like 1997-era players considering the time period they were made in. :shobon: