Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

In basically every version of events told in any of the supplementary materials, Sephiroth doesn't get tossed in by Cloud - he jumps in, of his own accord, to either further his own nefarious schemes or to show off what an untouchable badass he is or whatever. I hated this change and still hate it now; it's a small thing, like I said, that completely ruins my ability to enjoy anything of "On The Way To A Smile" or Crisis Core. The friends of mine who are only loosely acquainted with FF7 tend to have drawn conclusions about the game based on fan reaction and worship as well as these side materials, and after seeing things like Advent Children it's really easy to assume that Cloud is always a mopey, depressed stoic who only ever expresses sadness, while the rest of the game is obsessed with showing off how unbelievably amazing Sephiroth is.

Your effortpost is undermined by you complaining about something that didn't happen

Here is the scene in Crisis Core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZiz86LdeiE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The alternate version of that scene only occurred in Before Crisis, I think.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't read that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Your issue isn't caring, it's nihilism of wanting nothing instead of something you don't want

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

The alternate version of that scene only occurred in Before Crisis, I think.

Yeah, but the thing with Before Crisis is that it's intentionally only semi-canon. It is My Fanfiction Turk Is At All The Important Places and even Crisis Core (which is by the same director and even has one of the potential fanfiction turks as a character) doesn't actually follow its version of events.

I think something kinda similar happens in Last Order but LO was specifically made to promote Crisis Core's release and absolutely nothing in it is supposed to be taken as anything but a goofy 5 minute OAV. Zack also didn't die from getting sniped randomly either.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

Horrible care post inc:

Not horrible, I thought you had good points and articulated a lot of why I'm not at all excited for this remake :)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

guts and bolts posted:

In basically every version of events told in any of the supplementary materials, Sephiroth doesn't get tossed in by Cloud - he jumps in, of his own accord, to either further his own nefarious schemes or to show off what an untouchable badass he is or whatever.

Part of why I'm so anxious about the remake? Square-Enix has shown, to me, that they have no idea why fans liked the games that they liked, or didn't like the games they didn't like. They gave us three loving helpings of FF13, for God's sake.

Crisis Core, the only supplementary game that I know shows those events, doesn't have him jumping in of his own accord so I think you just made that poo poo up. Also, not even fans know what they hell they want from FF7. Or Final fantasy in general really. This thread, the 4 year long FF7 LP thread, and every discussion of FF7 most of the people talking about the game don't remember or didn't realize almost all the plot points or character moments. Because it was the first jrpg for so many its fandom played in mostly in their childhoods and only have vague ideas of what happened or what characters were like. It's why when Cloud was swapped into Vincent's place in KH most fans just said "Yeah no, this seems basically right." One of my earliest posts in this thread was making fun of someone who was bitching about Crisis Core making Zack into a Mary Sue and forcing him into a relationship with Aeris and letting him just drag cloud out of the Shinra Mansion and somehow making it to Midgard. I get liking FF7, but don't act like Square-Enix is the only one who just doesn't get it.

And FF13 and LR own and I'm sorry you're wrong.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Given the maxim in the thread title, we need to concede that its entirely logical to wonder why the worst game got 2 sequels, or wonder why the worst game is being remade.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

zedprime posted:

Given the maxim in the thread title, we need to concede that its entirely logical to wonder why the worst game got 2 sequels, or wonder why the worst game is being remade.

I didn't know ff2 had any sequels

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

I didn't know ff2 had any sequels

uhh, final fantasy legend 1 and 2

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ImpAtom posted:

Your effortpost is undermined by you complaining about something that didn't happen

Which, considering that it's a thing relating to VII, is bizarrely appropriate.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Here is the scene in Crisis Core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZiz86LdeiE

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It was a good effort post, I read and appreciated it even though I didn't agree with everything. I can't speak to ImpAtom's point since I never finished Crisis Core. The EU is mostly terrible crap and it's part of the reason there's more than a little dread around the FF7 remake.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I would normally laugh at anyone caring that much about a videogame whatever it is but yeah, I basically agree. To me, FFVII is three disks long. I sat through that car crash of a movie for love of the game then forgot about it. I haven't bothered with anything else FFVII related despite playing it through several times and holding the plot/characters up there with the best modern works of fiction.

If the remake is anything other than a line by line reconstruction with a fancy new cutscene engine it is probably gonna be a disappointment. Best thing to do is forget it is happening and wait for people who give a gently caress to waste dozens of hours playing it through before deciding if it is worth the time of day to shatter your rosey tinted glasses for.

That's my plan anyway!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

It was a good effort post, I read and appreciated it even though I didn't agree with everything. I can't speak to ImpAtom's point since I never finished Crisis Core. The EU is mostly terrible crap and it's part of the reason there's more than a little dread around the FF7 remake.

I posted a link to the scene and everything. :smith:

Actually one neat thing I noticed upon rewatching the CC version though: Cloud grabbing the Buster Sword and attacking is literally identical to the Braver limit break. Which is a nice little touch for how Cloud could do anything like that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 29, 2015

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Off the top of my head, I can only name the Screw Attack video of the demo, but I definitely remember a bunch of places calling Lightning "female Cloud" back before the first FF13 came out. Not really taking this anywhere, I just thought that was funny.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think they literally put Clouds face on a woman's body and open talked about that fact

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That isn't really what they did. Nomura was asked to design someone who was a 'serious' character akin to Cloud and Squall. People took "I was asked to design a Cloud-like character" and extrapolated it to "I was asked to make female Cloud."

I mean Lightning is obviously supposed to remind you of Cloud. She is an ex-soldier who first shows up on a train breaking into a place alongside her black gun-wielding friend. But they didn't start with "Literally Female Cloud."

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I posted a link to the scene and everything. :smith:

Actually one neat thing I noticed upon rewatching the CC version though: Cloud grabbing the Buster Sword and attacking is literally identical to the Braver limit break. Which is a nice little touch for how Cloud could do anything like that.

That part of the scene bothered me. I remember FF7 having Cloud run into the pod chamber with the sword in hand, find Tifa, then draw it in the Jenova room.

It's a small detail, the transfer was the point because the game is about Zack, but it was still wrong! Even if they kept that great scene with Cloud tossing Sephiroth. He was likely just remembering Last Order, which was bullshit and I agree completely.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If they know they can't please every FFVII fan, then they should just make it so that it pleases none of them.

Aerith will be renamed again to Aelisu, the Gold Saucer will be entirely microtransaction-based, and the only person Cloud can take on a date will be Vincent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

If they know they can't please every FFVII fan, then they should just make it so that it pleases none of them.

Aerith will be renamed again to Aelisu, the Gold Saucer will be entirely microtransaction-based, and the only person Cloud can take on a date will be Vincent.

I have no idea why you think there isn't a large portion of the FF fanbase who would squeal with delight over Cloud going on a date with Vincent.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

I have no idea why you think there isn't a large portion of the FF fanbase who would squeal with delight over Cloud going on a date with Vincent.

:dance:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry, but Vincent is now a happy-go-lucky star of the planet's only sport.

Plus, Sephiroth dies in a cutscene just before you get to fight him, only to be replaced by the real villain who was pulling the strings the entire time. And no, it's not Jenova since that would have actual foreshadowing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Following Sephiroth's defeat in the life stream, the planet manifests 3 levers for Cloud to choose the fate of the world...

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

That loving Sned posted:

Plus, Sephiroth dies in a cutscene just before you get to fight him, only to be replaced by the real villain who was pulling the strings the entire time. And no, it's not Jenova since that would have actual foreshadowing.

I like it...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

It is Judas Matthias?!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It is Judas Matthias?!

Since we all know they'll probably add a new character in the remake, I'd laugh my rear end off if he was localized as that as a nod to that dumb fantranslation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Since we all know they'll probably add a new character in the remake, I'd laugh my rear end off if he was localized as that as a nod to that dumb fantranslation.

I suspect they won't add any new party characters but there is no way Vincent and Yuffie will be secret characters anymore.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

That loving Sned posted:

COMPETITIVE BROODING :black101:

Tonight at 8 on SIN!

ImpAtom posted:

It is Judas Matthias?!

Iscaar Matthias :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PAX update: FFXV release window is officially 2016.

e: a more specific date will be announced at an event in March.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 30, 2015

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Champion Vincent will have off against rising newcomer Squall. Tonight only on pay per view.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
There's some Active Time Report live about FFXV going on: http://www.twitch.tv/pax2

Seems to mostly be talking about concept art. Yeesh.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 30, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's some next-level poo poo to announce a date for the announcement of a release date.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
How much longer to FFXV having a decade between initial announcement and release?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

That loving Sned posted:

is it judas issachar

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's good to post, from the heart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What I want from an FFVII remake is a nice, bonus dungeon that lets me murderlize other games bosses in hi-def graphics. Implication that Jenova killed their worlds optional.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

In what way is Lightning a "Cloud-Like" character? Throwing her into similar situations as someone mentioned previously, with the train and the black gun wielding sidekick are just events, not characterization.

Edit: Missed a letter. Further edit, I completely misread the post where that came up. Please disregard.

Either way, I agree with the novel the dude wrote earlier. My concern is that they'll take Mopey Cloud and try to replace OG Cloud. Mechanics will be what they are and I'm not too worried about those.

Theotus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i am attracted to both of them when they dress like girls