Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Tolstoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's a shame that Chinese documentary just talks about someone's pet conspiracy theory because the actual history of Christianity in China is pretty interesting.

Wasn't there some dude that declared himself Jesus' brother and started one of the most brutal beefs in human history? Like there were battles with a million+ troops on the field just going at it with spears.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Wasn't there some dude that declared himself Jesus' brother and started one of the most brutal beefs in human history? Like there were battles with a million+ troops on the field just going at it with spears.

The Taiping Rebellion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, the Taiping Rebellion is one of the biggest wars in hsitory and it's barely talked about.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Blatantly Christian authors? Hmm, that's a hard one. It was obviously pretty common in Western literature to put very obvious Christian morals into the text of a novel, at least before...1960?

Which brings me to Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. Waugh was queer (Wikipedia identifies him as bi), but he converted to Catholicism in the 30s and became pretty conservative, to the extent that he was very upset by the reforms of Vatican II. As a consequence, Brideshead Revisited is about a middle-class atheist guy who starts hanging around a very flamboyant old-money gay guy, and is incredibly taken by the guy's huge country house and traditional family, which he fetishises. However, the gay guy's mother is this really overbearing Catholic who disapproves of everything her children do, and pressures her ex husband to see a priest on his deathbed, even though the ex husband is very lapsed religiously and expresses a strong lack of desire for last rites. Ignoring all this evidence of religion potentially making people narrow minded and judgmental, Middle Class Atheist suddenly converts to catholicism at the end of the book, because...yay?

Needless to say, a lot of people greatly enjoy the first half of the book, which is about Charles Ryder hanging around with Sebastian Flyte and being his sort-of-boyfriend; and like to pretend that the second half of the book never happened. I'm in agreement. To me, the latter half of the book seems like the desperate justification of a newly religious guy trying to go back into the closet. The "will he see a priest" subplot is particularly bad. It goes on for about 5 chapters. In case you're wondering - yes, the poor guy eventually *does* see a priest because Lady Marchmain just won't leave him alone about it already.

Samovar posted:

G.K. Chesterton wasn't horrible, but his Father Brown character was even more insufferable than Sherlock Holmes and that's really saying something.

Oh god, Father Brown. I've seen the TV series. It's one of the worst genteel Sunday Night Agatha Christie styled crime tv shows there is, although Father Brown's always encountering hilariously stupid crimes, like...ones involving a group of fake Ancient Egyptian cultists, so you can almost watch it just to laugh at how bad the plots are.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, the Taiping Rebellion is one of the biggest wars in hsitory and it's barely talked about.

There is currently a 30+ effort post synopsis of the entire war going on in the Military thread in Ask/Tell if anyone is interested.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh god, Father Brown. I've seen the TV series. It's one of the worst genteel Sunday Night Agatha Christie styled crime tv shows there is, although Father Brown's always encountering hilariously stupid crimes, like...ones involving a group of fake Ancient Egyptian cultists, so you can almost watch it just to laugh at how bad the plots are.

I prefer the story where a person's head has been cut off and yet is still so close to the body that people don't actually realise it until they try to move the body. This means it was the work of the French.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Infamous Sphere posted:

In the last episode I saw of this there was a plot about the illuminati.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 30, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There is currently a 30+ effort post synopsis of the entire war going on in the Military thread in Ask/Tell if anyone is interested.

Also if you like books I recommend God's Chinese Son for an in-depth look at the conflict. It's a little hazy at first because it's trying to lay out Hong Xiuquan's interpretation of Christianity, but it gets good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Samovar posted:

I prefer the story where a person's head has been cut off and yet is still so close to the body that people don't actually realise it until they try to move the body. This means it was the work of the French.
The Swedish/Danish version of The Bridge starts off like that, only it's a body cut in half with one end in each country. I thought it was so dumb I turned it off. At least it seemed dumb when compared to The Killing or Borgen.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Audacity is out for free on Youtube and holy poo poo this is bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbPu2rtmDbY

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New christian movie did extremely well in box office #s (Only in 1,135 theaters and made 11 million)

From the people who brought you Fireproof and Courageous

War Room

quote:

From the award-winning creators of Fireproof and Courageous comes WAR ROOM, a compelling drama with humor and heart that explores the power that prayer can have on marriages, parenting, careers, friendships, and every other area of our lives.

Tony and Elizabeth Jordan have it all—great jobs, a beautiful daughter, and their dream house. But appearances can be deceiving. Tony and Elizabeth Jordan’s world is actually crumbling under the strain of a failing marriage. While Tony basks in his professional success and flirts with temptation, Elizabeth resigns herself to increasing bitterness. But their lives take an unexpected turn when Elizabeth meets her newest client, Miss Clara, and is challenged to establish a “war room” and a battle plan of prayer for her family. As Elizabeth tries to fight for her family, Tony’s hidden struggles come to light. Tony must decide if he will make amends to his family and prove Miss Clara’s wisdom that victories don’t come by accident.

In theaters now and filled with more of the authentic characters loved by millions in previous Kendrick Brothers’ films, WAR ROOM is a vivid reminder that prayer is a powerful weapon.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIl-XY9t_Lw

Here is what Kirk Cameron said

quote:

"This is the Kendrick Brothers' most-inspiring movie yet. WAR ROOM made me laugh, cry, and shout, 'Amen, Sister!,' 'Kill it, Brother!,' and 'Thank you, Father!!' It makes me want to build a prayer room in my house and battle daily for those I love."

And of course like every christian movie by these directors, they whore out a long list of resources created specifically for the movie

http://warroommovieresources.com/

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

New christian movie did extremely well in box office #s (Only in 1,135 theaters and made 11 million)

War Room

And of course like every christian movie by these directors, they whore out a long list of resources created specifically for the movie

Wait, so they aren't fighting demons or anything, just a failing marriage? :laffo:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think they should be just called "Christian suburban bourgeois" movies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think they should be just called "Christian suburban bourgeois" movies.

Like most melodramatic fantasies, the Christian independent film tends to also be aspirational. The bourgeois here doesn't represent only the suburban middle class, but the projections of the working class Christian per the cultural values presented by late capitalism.

If you watch Moms' Night Out, you note that the primary narrative and stylistic influences are basically John Hughes, Judd Apatow, Paul Feig. The Christian suburban fairy tale is exactly like the contemporary comedic fairy tale. It's just more obvious that capitalism is God: "Imagine how much we could accomplish if we just trusted in 'the invisible hand.'"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not shocking that the Christian Right continues to use military imagery/terminology in these things

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I know C.S. Lewis was an ultra-Christian rear end in a top hat but I personal give him a bit of a pass due to the whole trench warfare PTSD stuff. I'd find religion after that too.

Here's a great TV show everyone can watch, it's called Born Again Virgin

http://tvone.tv/17349/born-again-virgin-watch-the-pilot-episode/

I'm sure everyone will love it.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

sbaldrick posted:

I know C.S. Lewis was an ultra-Christian rear end in a top hat but I personal give him a bit of a pass due to the whole trench warfare PTSD stuff. I'd find religion after that too.

Will it have divinely restored hymen?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

He said that if you believe in witches, then it is moral to burn the people you believe are witches.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

He said that if you believe in witches, then it is moral to burn the people you believe are witches.

I can't find a full phone quotable version and Lewis was a fucker but you're reallly grossly misrepresenting what he was talking about in the passage in question which was about how people outgrow old ideas when they find new evidence. Basically if there actually are people going around making pacts with Satan and destroying crops with black magick then yeah that's criminal. We don't burn witches though, because we know there aren't witches.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I apologize if I took him out of context. I get a little reckless sometimes.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

I apologize if I took him out of context. I get a little reckless sometimes.

quote:

Three hundred years ago people in England were putting witches to death. Was that what you call the 'Rule of Human Nature or Right Conduct?’ But surely the reason we do not execute witches is that we do not believe there are such things. If we did—if we really thought that there were people going about who had sold themselves to the devil and received supernatural powers from him in return and were using these powers to kill their neighbours or drive them mad or bring bad weather—surely we would all agree that if anyone deserved the death penalty, then these filthy quislings did? There is no difference of moral principle here: the difference is simply about matter of fact. It may be a great advance in knowledge not to believe in witches: there is no moral advance in not executing them when you do not think they are there. You would not call a man humane for ceasing to set mousetraps if he did so because he believed there were no mice in the house.”

Kangra
May 7, 2012

As for Lewis, The Screwtape Letters seems to be the most well-liked by non-Christians out of the books meant for adults. It's a touch lighter in tone.

Other non-terrible authors:

Kahlil Gibran. He's a bit out of mainstream Christianity, and usually classified as a 'mystic'. He was originally from Lebanon and his theology is heavily influenced by Islam. But he has some incredibly inspirational works, and some interesting short stories. The Prophet is his most well-known and probably his best.

Madeleine L'Engle. She's not agressive in presenting Christianity, and her characters are not paragons, but her books clearly deal with Christian themes. Most of her work is considered YA, but it's still pretty good writing.

Anne Lamott. Unabashedly progressive Christian. Most of her writing is on the inspirational and painfully honest autobiographical side.

And probably not on the same level as those, but I'm curious to know if anyone's read anything by Ted Dekker. He's known for writing Christian 'thrillers' and fantasy novels. He certainly seems popular, but I haven't seen his name really discussed outside of Christian contexts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
What about Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? Was that ever popular in the nutter evangelical circles?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I don't think anyone that desperate for evangelical ammunition ever saw it, much less took away a christian message from it.

Most people just compare it to the odyssey.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

War Room

I imagine by "power of prayer" they mean made up bullshit that can't possibly happen and "coincidences"

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

SocketWrench posted:

I imagine by "power of prayer" they mean made up bullshit that can't possibly happen and "coincidences"

No, they mean the power you can get from all the books they're offering you. That's not a resource list; it's a shopping list.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

SocketWrench posted:

The power of prayer is real, though. Prayer gives you the power to feel like you are doing something important while not actually doing anything at all.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ah, so CS Lewis said that burning witches is moral in the same way that Andrea Dworkin said that all sex is rape. That is, as a thought exercise or rhetorical argument that people looking for ammunition against them present without context to make it look like a direct and uncritical statement.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Samovar posted:

That's probably less bizarre than the solution of the short story that was probably based on, "The Secret Garden."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Forgall posted:

Wait, so they aren't fighting demons or anything, just a failing marriage? :laffo:
I saw the title and the images on the poster and straight-up assumed it was a movie about american soldiers fighting terrorists or something.

so much sepia

Samovar posted:

What about Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? Was that ever popular in the nutter evangelical circles?
I can't recall the part where Homer stopped and told everybody at length in the middle of the Odyssey, about Jesus' love and how it will save their souls - so no, it was a period piece with a specific theme for the imagery and soundtrack which did not match what it was actually about - irony if you will

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 3, 2015

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Ah, so CS Lewis said that burning witches is moral in the same way that Andrea Dworkin said that all sex is rape. That is, as a thought exercise or rhetorical argument that people looking for ammunition against them present without context to make it look like a direct and uncritical statement.

That's an astute comparison, though people tend to trot out Dworkins more than Lewis. Lewis is pretty fondly viewed even among liberal Christians. This is obviously because of Narnia and, to a lesser degree the Screwyape Letters, which is still a fun read. It's hard to tag on it for being ham handed about religiosity, and it's inspired a lot of poo poo imitators amongst people who aren't as good writers, but I think it's probably the origin of depictions of a less sinister, more bureaucratic Hell. It was probably quite a thing when it was shiny and new and I can't think of any other books of Christian rhetoric that are as good a read even for an atheist.

But I haven't ever finished Chesterton's Everlasting Man. Man Who Was Thursday is dope though b

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

That's an astute comparison, though people tend to trot out Dworkins more than Lewis. Lewis is pretty fondly viewed even among liberal Christians. This is obviously because of Narnia and, to a lesser degree the Screwyape Letters, which is still a fun read. It's hard to tag on it for being ham handed about religiosity, and it's inspired a lot of poo poo imitators amongst people who aren't as good writers, but I think it's probably the origin of depictions of a less sinister, more bureaucratic Hell. It was probably quite a thing when it was shiny and new and I can't think of any other books of Christian rhetoric that are as good a read even for an atheist.

But I haven't ever finished Chesterton's Everlasting Man. Man Who Was Thursday is dope though b
It really does depend on which liberal Christians you ask. Many, many liberal women dislike him, and dislike Mere Christianity in particular; many people trained in logic dislike the shoddy reasoning in MC. (Helloooooo, excluded middle and redefinitions of terms.)

The Man Who Was Thursday is weird and wonderful. Chesterton doesn't stick the landing, but few do -- see also the excellent movie They Might Be Giants, which is similarly based on its own puzzle-logic, and completely falls apart in the last ten minutes. Yes, the band is named after the movie.

Captain Candyblood
Aug 19, 2013

*The worse insults for the likpas and phallos as well.

Kangra posted:

And probably not on the same level as those, but I'm curious to know if anyone's read anything by Ted Dekker. He's known for writing Christian 'thrillers' and fantasy novels. He certainly seems popular, but I haven't seen his name really discussed outside of Christian contexts.

When I was like 11-15 I read a ton of Dekker's stuff cause my mom really enjoyed it and had it laying around the house. I remember being pretty engaged/scared by it, but ya know, I was younger and also a huge weenie. I mostly read his standalone books, but I did read a few that loosely connected to his big fantasy series--I think it was called The Circle? Anyway, much later when I got into The Dark Tower, it seemed super obvious that Dekker had taken a lot of inspiration from King. He even has a gunslinger character who is (visually) exactly like Roland iirc. There are more similarities but it's been too long since I've read them to give exact details.

I enjoyed them a lot then, but I don't think they'd hold up to me now that I'm an adult, and not living with my Christian family. I don't remember his work as being very preachy, it could actually get fairly graphic, but now I'm sure the religious bits would seem very in-your-face.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Lewis is pretty fondly viewed even among liberal Christians. This is obviously because of Narnia and, to a lesser degree the Screwyape Letters, which is still a fun read.

Lewis wrote a lot more than that on Christianity, both in fictional allegories and theological writing. Narnia and Screwtape are his best known works, but his body of work is much larger.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Lewis wrote a lot more than that on Christianity, both in fictional allegories and theological writing. Narnia and Screwtape are his best known works, but his body of work is much larger.

Right. I just named the ones msot people actually know/care about. Mere Xianity is a runner up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It really does depend on which liberal Christians you ask. Many, many liberal women dislike him, and dislike Mere Christianity in particular; many people trained in logic dislike the shoddy reasoning in MC. (Helloooooo, excluded middle and redefinitions of terms.)

In my experience, a lot of the dislike liberal Christians have for Lewis mainly comes with the caveat "For his time, though..."

I've heard more than a few laments over the lack of liberal Christian media in general in the past few years in Christian social circles. It's nigh-exclusively fundamentalist or otherwise ultraconservative Christian stuff that keeps making it into the wider media.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

John Quixote posted:

No, they mean the power you can get from all the books they're offering you. That's not a resource list; it's a shopping list.

Amazing how all this info to save your soul and join the good side always costs money. You would think doing god's will would be free

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I'm not sure that I mentioned it before, but my church's youth group does a monthly movie night. Last Friday, we watched John Q. I always love when we watch films that aren't explicitly Christian, and not just because they're usually better-made. It's not exactly a great movie, and it's surprisingly political in a way unexpected of an evangelical youth group, but the kids got a lot out of it. Next time we'll probably watch Dead Poet's Society, which I regrettably haven't seen. The kids are set on watching Star Wars soon, so we'll also be doing that. Do you all have any suggestions for "secular" movies with Christian themes, or even themes that would lead to good conversation about spirituality? For example, we watched Jurassic Park a few months ago and it was a huge hit. We do watch Christian movies, but good ones are harder to come by and we all know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I watched The Truman Show in junior high religion class, that wasn't too bad.

• Locked thread