Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Because it's easier to differentiate and less confusing for new players - 1x for ABs and 5x for MWDs. Also because it kinda makes sense, because why should a 1MN MWD give you higher speed than a 1MN AB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

ullerrm posted:

ABs and MWDs have separate numbers now -- the former is 1/10/100, the latter is 5/50/500. Makes it easier for newbies to tell apart, and for market guys to type in.

Thats, actually a really nice change.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wulfling posted:

Oh. I've not logged in since the prop mods got redone, so I don't know what sizes are for what anymore.

E; Is there a reason they went from the old number system to the new one?

Mainly to make it easier to distinguish the two. It also makes some minute numerical sense to have the 5× names for MWDs since they offer roughly five times the speed boost.

e:f;b

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

Also BL are supposedly bailing on Fountain.

Great! I got some ships and gear down there from the big 6VDT war I want to get back.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ullerrm posted:

The Amarr Emperor and Heirs are not allowed to clone, nor become a capsuleer. (This is called the Sacred Flesh doctrine.) They have to keep their bodies alive via cellular regenerators and implants instead. For this reason, Amarr Emperors live maybe ~500 years at most.

When an Emperor dies, one of the five Heirs is picked to be the new Emperor; the other four heirs commit ritual suicide. This gives the empire a lot of stability -- the emperors change with some regularity, nobody does any usurpation stunts unless they're 100% sure that they'll succeed, and power is concentrated in entire families rather than figureheads.

Before she became Empress, she was a Sarum Heir, roughly ten years ago; she lost her succession trial and killed herself. She broke Amarr religious laws by having herself cloned before her death, telling the galaxy that she had been brought back to life as a miracle of the Amarrian God. (However, the cloning process was flawed, producing the Other -- which is why the Drifters came after her.) This is why a handful of Amarrian holdouts never formally recognized Jamyl as Empress while she was alive.

If she cloned herself once, she might do it again; Jamyl Sarum 3.0 may be out there somewhere. However, the chances of her being recognized as Empress again are slim.

Going back to our old discussion how about the cloning process represents a termination/duplication process rather than a true transfer of consciousness, it makes sense that the title of Emperor couldn't be conferred to a clone. She'd be an identical copy of Jamyl Sarum, but she's still not the individual who was crowned and has no place in the formal line of succession.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

MorsAnima posted:

That loving commentary about TNT. CCP dropping bombs about null pilots inability to fly without an anchor :smugbert:

I find it amusing that PFR gets a 'wow first year in the tourney, good job getting to 16th and, while it is only our second year staging a tourney team, and probably the first where we've practiced with any consistency, the response is 'bahahahha look at these guys doing things, so dumb'

Jan is in my corp :cripes: I am going to make fun of him so hard when I log on later.

Although it was probably our captain's fault, fitting in a hurry. Saved fittings are for pussies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Going back to our old discussion how about the cloning process represents a termination/duplication process rather than a true transfer of consciousness, it makes sense that the title of Emperor couldn't be conferred to a clone. She'd be an identical copy of Jamyl Sarum, but she's still not the individual who was crowned and has no place in the formal line of succession.

It's the old teleportation argument as well. You don't move, you get disintegrated and re-asembled elsewhere. There was a cool quote in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri where the religious fundamentalist leader is really freaked out over the question of the soul.

Miriam Godwinson posted:

And what of the immortal soul in such transactions? Can this machine transmit and reattach it as well? Or is it lost forever, leaving a soulless body to wander the world in despair?

Sister Miriam Godwinson, "We must Dissent"

brodoyouevengif
Jun 15, 2013

The pubbie blood must flow for le mighty Brodo.

Tippis posted:

Mainly to make it easier to distinguish the two. It also makes some minute numerical sense to have the 5× names for MWDs since they offer roughly five times the speed boost.

e:f;b

Didn't they also add a very small speed bonus to a few of the MWDs?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's even more explicit in this case. Nothing about transferring your consciousness into a datastream or anything. The cloning process starts by outright killing the capsuleer, because brain activity interferes with the scan. This individual is dead and their existence is terminated. Their brain is physically reproduced down to individual neural pathways in a new body, creating a new, distinct individual who happens to have the memories, personality, skills, etc of the capsuleer they were copied from. It's generally simpler to think of them being the same person, but consciousness transfer is never part of the process. Hell, if you didn't have to kill someone to scan their brains with sufficient detail a living person could make copies of themselves freely.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Voyager I posted:

It's even more explicit in this case. Nothing about transferring your consciousness into a datastream or anything. The cloning process starts by outright killing the capsuleer, because brain activity interferes with the scan. This individual is dead and their existence is terminated. Their brain is physically reproduced down to individual neural pathways in a new body, creating a new, distinct individual who happens to have the memories, personality, skills, etc of the capsuleer they were copied from. It's generally simpler to think of them being the same person, but consciousness transfer is never part of the process. Hell, if you didn't have to kill someone to scan their brains with sufficient detail a living person could make copies of themselves freely.

The Broker already does this though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Continuity of consciousness is a myth anyways, we're nothing but an emergent pattern defined by memory (a physical record) plus our environment. :catdrugs:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Continuity of consciousness is a myth anyways, we're nothing but an emergent pattern defined by memory (a physical record) plus our environment. :catdrugs:

same

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Voyager I posted:

Hell, if you didn't have to kill someone to scan their brains with sufficient detail a living person could make copies of themselves freely.

Not quite true -- you have to kill someone to scan them, but once you have the scan, you can replicate indefinitely from it. Only laws prevent this.

(Last time I played Eclipse Phase, I RPed a guy who was expressly afraid of this exact scenario, and would only change bodies if there was a transfer with no interruption in consciousness. The setting allows that, but it takes a week or so, to the extent that it's almost faster to travel physically for nearby locations.)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ullerrm posted:

Not quite true -- you have to kill someone to scan them, but once you have the scan, you can replicate indefinitely from it. Only laws prevent this.

(Last time I played Eclipse Phase, I RPed a guy who was expressly afraid of this exact scenario, and would only change bodies if there was a transfer with no interruption in consciousness. The setting allows that, but it takes a week or so, to the extent that it's almost faster to travel physically for nearby locations.)

Certainly. I simply meant that Actual Death being a prerequisite for making a up-t-date copy of someone's mind prevents casual cloning. If non-invasive live brain scans were possible you could have people popping off a copy of themselves to go to business meetings and the like.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
If We could do that, split our consciousnesses into two or more separate physical beings, demanding someone go gently caress themselves would have far less impact.

but it would be great for putting ones dick into strange, with zero fear of consequences like social diseases. same with jacking up on vast amounts of drugs: as long as there is enough left of the clones mind to read and copy the experiences into the mains mind, yay.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
There's a decent David Brin book about that premise called Kiln People(at least, decent until he goes off the rails at the end). Popular entertainment involves sending clones of yourself to go party themselves to bits so you can upload the memories later.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Voyager I posted:

There's a decent David Brin book about that premise called Kiln People(at least, decent until he goes off the rails at the end). Popular entertainment involves sending clones of yourself to go party themselves to bits so you can upload the memories later.

Holy gently caress that is the laziest thing ever. Can't even be arsed to go to the party yourself.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

darth cookie posted:

Holy gently caress that is the laziest thing ever. Can't even be arsed to go to the party yourself.

Or you could "go" to a party that way even if you work the next morning.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

darth cookie posted:

I meant literally party themselves to bits. Dance to music loud enough to cause tissue damage, take body-ruining doses of ludicrous drugs, perform profane sexual acts that may only be possible with specially-altered clone physiques, then polish off the night with some recreational bloodsports. The next day you download the memories from the wreckage of your clone and relive a first-person experience a wild night out that would have killed you a dozen times over.

Most people don't go to work themselves because they can just send off a clone (or several) with the relevant skills uploaded.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

Voyager I posted:

I meant literally party themselves to bits. Dance to music loud enough to cause tissue damage, take body-ruining doses of ludicrous drugs, perform profane sexual acts that may only be possible with specially-altered clone physiques, then polish off the night with some recreational bloodsports. The next day you download the memories from the wreckage of your clone and relive a first-person experience a wild night out that would have killed you a dozen times over.

Most people don't go to work themselves because they can just send off a clone (or several) with the relevant skills uploaded.

Sounds like fun :goshawk:

vermeul fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 30, 2015

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
did that ping just really go out :cripes:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Demiurge4 posted:

It's the old teleportation argument as well. You don't move, you get disintegrated and re-asembled elsewhere. There was a cool quote in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri where the religious fundamentalist leader is really freaked out over the question of the soul.

The Takeshi Kovacs series by David Drake has a book where this is a central part of the plot. In these books, your identity is stored in a cortical stack that can be removed and downloaded and then uploaded into a new body, or "sleeve". Hardcore Catholics believe that this practice is against God, so if they are killed (stack retrievable), their stack is left sealed, never to be uploaded into a new sleeve.

These are a really good series and I highly recommend them for anyone who is into cyberpunk or hardboiled scifi.

Thank you for reading this post.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

madjack posted:

did that ping just really go out :cripes:

It's times like these that I regret not leaving my laptop on to catch pings...

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm guessing it was for a mining fleet.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
(1:49:36 PM) directorbot: FC Name: Sil Phenadil || Fleet Name: EVE Gate sightseeing || Form Up: YA0 || Ship Types: Destroyers and frigates you're happy to lose || SRP Level: peacetime(50%) || Comms Type: IMPERIUM-MUMBLE || Comms Channel: 11 || Story: We're going to go see the EVE Gate and hopefully kill some stuff along the way

~~~ This was a skirmishbot broadcast from tarkinius to all at 2015-08-30 04:19:35.539558 EVE ~~~

op seems to be over so here it is

this is a new level of pubbie

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

beats the hell out of "roam to lowsec" and probably more entertaining than "lets poo poo on moa"

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've seen worse mumble pings and I've never been to the EVE gate. Kind of a neat idea IMHO. Especially if it was from a first time FC.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
it is a roam to lowsec though, and while a pilgrimage to the eve gate isnt a bad idea to do once, youre taking a fleet to the deadest lowsec in the game

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
actually you know what, i take it all back

the eve gate would be a great place to roam to, just take a heap of mobile depots to rename and defile the place

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's happened to the invasion of Providence?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Comstar posted:

What's happened to the invasion of Providence?

Providence is mostly burned and the ground salted with the tears of the inhabitants widows. Everyone is returning home now.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

If you're just leaving Provi now, you missed the wormhole that went directly from Assah to CCP-US. Quickest convoy home I feel I'll ever be a part of.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

madjack posted:

actually you know what, i take it all back

the eve gate would be a great place to roam to, just take a heap of mobile depots to rename and defile the place

Last time I was there, a strange player-cult had tons of containers with weird cult messages all over the place. If they're still there, some crazies will probably destroy those depots over time. Or the place is already full with depots with strange messages in their names by now.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Libluini posted:

Last time I was there, a strange player-cult had tons of containers with weird cult messages all over the place. If they're still there, some crazies will probably destroy those depots over time. Or the place is already full with depots with strange messages in their names by now.

it was the same when i went there a few years ago

wonder how theyd react to a hundred depots named "grrr gons" :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hazdoc posted:

Your client crashing is gameplay? I suppose you think tidi is unnecessary for large scale conflicts, then? People black screening and dying is just part of the game, get good.

Yes, absolutely. It's not fun gameplay for the victims but it's gameplay. CCP made big battles less soul crushing by adding tidi but cramming enough dudes into a system to make half the enemy fleet's clients crash when they jump in was legitimate gameplay. Similarly, I consider lagging out people with a shitton of bubbles around a gate to be legitimate. Dropping a carrier's worth of drones to decloak a cloaky T3 is especially legitimate, since it's not even primarily used to lag out the T3 but to have an object within 2km of it.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
6 titans covers a gate

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Syndic Thrass posted:

6 titans covers a gate

assumes you have 6 titans though

so in a way it's :ccp: playing favourites again because only goons in fortress deklein can get and risk 6 titans sitting on a gate to decloak a t3 :getin:

e: and by the way it would have been cool if we'd sent fleets to create strategic tidi in chokepoint systems back when half the galaxy showed up for big dominion sov fights, we'd even have had the excuse of trying to thin out enemy reinforcements~

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 30, 2015

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

Providence is mostly burned and the ground salted with the tears of the inhabitants widows. Everyone is returning home now.

Hardly any Ihubs died? Maybe a pos or two it's like not burned to the ground at all lightly singed?

I mean it's rf"d to gently caress and back so provi will hate there lives for a few days while they chase nodes.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 30, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Zasze posted:

Hardly any Ihubs died? Maybe a pos or two it's like not burned to the ground at all lightly singed?

I mean it's rf"d to gently caress and back so provi will hate there lives for a few days while they chase nodes.

That's the point. They'll have to chase down a fuckton of nodes, reestablish all their bridges and then we go back in 3-4 weeks and do it all again. This whole thing is just a proof of concept for if/when we need to invade someone else (and also get a good look at what it takes to rebuild if we get invaded and don't defend properly). It's all foreplay baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Zasze posted:

A ton of ihubs died, what are you talking about

• Locked thread