Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Siivola posted:

To everyone who recommended Fell's Five when it was up on Humble Bundle:

Thanks. This really is the best.

As someone who also picked it up because of the thread's recommendations, yeah, it is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Ryoshi posted:

Hey guys - I'm moving to Minnesota soon and am wondering what the tabletop scene is there. I'm used to the Chicago suburbs where it seems like there's a local (ish) meta for just about everything. Is there a cool store around the twin cities area? I know of Games by James but that seems to be only board games with no playing space at either location.
Like others have said, the FFG game center is great, even if you don't like FFG games. They've got what must have been part of a warehouse converted to just about the biggest and cleanest game store I've ever seen. The only thing is that it's a bit loud there when it gets busy because it's so open and the acoustics are awful. That's on the NE side.

Otherwise, there's Tower Games in south Minneapolis and Village Games in the NW burbs. I haven't played at either in a few years, but they were pretty solid back then.

What are you looking to play?

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
I'm not sure where to ask these questions, but I was wondering:

• Is there a trad games IRC still running about?
  • Why is Monster Hearts so popular, especially in PBP on these forums?

Thanks in advance.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Trollhawke posted:

Thanks in advance.

Yes
Lots of people like it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Trollhawke posted:

Why is Monster Hearts so popular, especially in PBP on these forums?

Because Young Adult literature is the pinnacle of the written word.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Trollhawke posted:

[*]Why is Monster Hearts so popular, especially in PBP on these forums?

Because goons are deviants.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

do you know the channel?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Len posted:

do you know the channel?

Yes

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ImpactVector posted:

What are you looking to play?

Pretty much everything honestly. I have a small collection of minis from WMH, Malifaux, Infinity, and X-Wing, and a ridiculous collection of board games and random RPGs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Trollhawke posted:

Thanks in advance.

It's #badwrongfun on synirc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Trollhawke posted:

Thanks in advance.

You made a mistake there, it's Monster Musume that it's popular. Please visit the ADTRW thread.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Monsterhearts as a Monster Musume harem style setting. Keep all the MH mechanics, though. She gets grim real fast in the harem

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

hosed up but also a serious possibility

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Evil Mastermind posted:

Gamma World 4e.

Yes! I just ran Gamma World 4e with this map a few months ago.

Walked in with just that map printed across 4 sheets of paper and a handle of cheap whiskey.

Players decided they were a rock band playing a show in the Strange Fire Area and, when their pyrotechnics (literally) set off the crowd, the session was a road warrior chase across the continent to reach the radiation barrier.

Fantastic time.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

fool_of_sound posted:

I just assumed it was because goons universally had a bad time at high school, but the possible truth is far more horrifying.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's #badwrongfun on synirc

Thanks, man.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Monsterhearts as a Monster Musume harem style setting. Keep all the MH mechanics, though. She gets grim real fast in the harem

As a deviant, I like this idea, and will buy it for a high price.

Dec 26, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Because Young Adult literature is the pinnacle of the written word.

This is a fact.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Trollhawke posted:

Because bad media makes for good gaming (tm Laws and/or Hite).

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Parkreiner posted:

Because bad media makes for good gaming (tm Laws and/or Hite).

See also:
Fantasy
Superheroes
Sci-fi
Lovecraft

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Error 404 posted:

See also:
Fantasy
Superheroes
Sci-fi
Lovecraft

I am going to be honest here: my gut reaction was to jump to the defense of three out of four of those.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am going to be honest here: my gut reaction was to jump to the defense of three out of four of those.

Nothing to defend. They all rule, they all make good gaming, and they all tend to be "bad".

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Nothing to defend. They all rule, they all make good gaming, and they all tend to be "bad".

What exactly do you mean by "bad"? Because I think the way GRRM portrays different characters with different, conflicting viewpoints is incredible and I will never not love Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics series, which pose some wonderful questions to the nature of artificial intelligence, all wrapped up in the shiny package of robot stories . If that makes me the scum of the literary world I can probably live with that.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 30, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You're thinking of some of the best Sci-Fi. Now think about all the rest.

By "Bad" he probably means cheesy, campy, but still thoroughly entertaining. Think Star Trek TOS in terms of Sci-Fi.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

paradoxGentleman posted:

What exactly do you mean by "bad"? Because I think the way GRRM portrays different characters with different, conflicting viewpoints is incredible and I will never not love Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics pose some wonderful questions to the nature of artificial intelligence, all wrapped up in the shiny package of robot stories . If that makes me the scum of the literary world I can probably live with that.

Genre fiction is easy to emulate because games use mechanical rules to define play, and genre fiction and its authors rest on similar rules. When those rules are codified in game it becomes really easy to roleplay just like your favorite Star Trek novel. Yeah, that's a really low bar, but not everyone at the table is going to be an accomplished writer or comedian or actor. And that's okay because genre fiction is dumb enough that any old group of friends in a basement can emulate it actually pretty well with only a set of rules and some dice.

And seriously, GRRM? I stopped reading at the child rape, so what was that, like the first 10 pages?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fosborb posted:

And seriously, GRRM? I stopped reading at the child rape, so what was that, like the first 10 pages?

This already ate one thread. Please don't let it take another.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

No poo poo

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

My point isn't that genre fiction is hard to emulate via tabletop (seeing as it has been done to death, it would have been a pretty stupid point); my point is that genre fiction isn't as bad as people say it is.

fosborb posted:

You must be confused: in the first ten pages the child is actually thrown out of a window. :eng101;

gradenko_2000 posted:

This already ate one thread. Please don't let it take another.

Oh man, that's what it was? I thought it was going grossly out of topic. I'll say this and drop it: I was not bothered by the portrayal of rape in those books, and I like them very much. If you disagree on either of those topics, I respect your perspective but do not share it.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

paradoxGentleman posted:

My point isn't that genre fiction is hard to emulate via tabletop (seeing as it has been done to death, it would have been a pretty stupid point); my point is that genre fiction isn't as bad as people say it is.

And my point is that you can tell genre fiction is bad because it is easy to emulate via tabletop.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

paradoxGentleman posted:

What exactly do you mean by "bad"? Because I think the way GRRM portrays different characters with different, conflicting viewpoints is incredible and I will never not love Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics series, which pose some wonderful questions to the nature of artificial intelligence, all wrapped up in the shiny package of robot stories . If that makes me the scum of the literary world I can probably live with that.
Some people need to define themselves not by what they like or like to do, but how much better they are for hating something other people like. "You like a thing I have deemed 'bad' so I am better than you! :smug:" seems like a stupid way to live, but I guess if you don't have anything to like then you have to fall back on hate.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Yawgmoth posted:

Some people need to define themselves not by what they like or like to do, but how much better they are for hating something other people like. "You like a thing I have deemed 'bad' so I am better than you! :smug:" seems like a stupid way to live, but I guess if you don't have anything to like then you have to fall back on hate.

Or sometimes people don't like a thing.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
So how about that tabletop game Strike! by Forums Poster Jimbozig? I think it's a really cool rule set and I can't wait for someone to run a super spy thing in the system while I wait for Phantom Pain.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
And sometimes you can acknowledge the flaws in something and also be a fan of that thing.

Which is all I meant saying stuff was bad.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Error 404 posted:

And sometimes you can acknowledge the flaws in something and also be a fan of that thing.

Which is all I meant saying stuff was bad.

Oh! I guess I misunderstood you. Yeah, this is something that one should do with most of what one consumes.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Error 404 posted:

Well people say that but in practice the people who consume a certain media end up being accused of advocating what is depicted in that media, a lot of the time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Captain Walker posted:

So how about that tabletop game Strike! by Forums Poster Jimbozig? I think it's a really cool rule set and I can't wait for someone to run a super spy thing in the system while I wait for Phantom Pain.

I'm a big fan. I appreciate that the system is still improving with each release too, generally by making everything stronger (with the notable exception of the change to Minor Striker which was probably the closest thing there was to a feat tax in the game). The class/role character creation metagame is a lot more fun to "play" than mixing and matching from a laundry list of feats for me, and still offers enough complexity for an idiot like me.

My biggest beef with the system is just a product of its newness - Part of its design goal is to expedite combat by removing unnecessary rolls, egregious off-turn actions, etc., but most people I play with simply don't know the system yet so it doesn't actually end up going that much faster. But yeah that's comparing people 1-3 sessions into a completely new game (many of which weren't 4e players so they don't have that background either) versus a 4e group who has been playing the system for 2-7 years which is hardly fair. The times I've played Strike with people who've spent time with the book and understand the system have been lighting fast and a real treat.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Check out this awesome stuff that I pulled out of a local junk store:

I've never even heard of Quest of the Ancients, but hoo boy does this look like a hell of an AD&D clone. It uses a d30!

Aww yeah, that's the good stuff.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

While that is certainly some cool loot, I've got to say that my favorite has to be the elf with the machine gun.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

While that is certainly some cool loot, I've got to say that my favorite has to be the elf with the machine gun.

It looks like it's just meant to symbolize two different genres, with the sword clearly being the divider between the two. Sorry to be a downer. :smug:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

It looks like it's just meant to symbolize two different genres, with the sword clearly being the divider between the two. Sorry to be a downer. :smug:

Well it's GURPS, so I guess it's to do with the universal system thing? I'll read through it and see if the cover actually has anything to do with the contents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Does the King's Quest module have DC 40 perception checks to find a single pixel?

• Locked thread