Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pootybutt posted:

GARBAGE
BOOBS

GAR-
BAGE
TITS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

yes. yes! YES!

I wonder what Gel-chan was doing before to make him scary to Berg Katze if Gel hasn't seen the Kuu-samas before, or if he just forgets afterwards

Parallax fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 30, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I could see Gel leaving a wake of ruined planets and being totally oblivious to it, thinking he did a good job with all of them.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
It would kind of make sense considering that Gel is basically the inverse of Katze. Even Katze's body diamond tattoo things are divided where Gel's are in one piece with the points touching.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Everything Burrito posted:

I could see Gel leaving a wake of ruined planets and being totally oblivious to it, thinking he did a good job with all of them.
And Paiman thinks all the planets are in good shape because by the time his crew shows up to do a survey, all the undesirables have been eaten/killed and Gel's like 'another planet saved!!!'

It's interesting how in a sense Rui's (relatively) positive character traits feed into why they get demolished over the last two episodes. Listening to people's complaints and being self-aware about mistakes to the point that by the time this episode starts, all the stuff the monsters are saying at the end of the episode is true and Rui knows it. Rui gets hurt repeatedly trying to do what's right, tries to help people, tries to encourage people to do the right thing instead of just doing it on their behalf or forcing them (like the other heroes), but nobody listens and things don't get better. The populace voted for Gel and Tsubasa, heroes that represent the 'easy' path that Rui (and Hajime) rejected. So why not give up?

The way they depict Rui giving up has some nice touches. You get multiple hints earlier in the episode before it happens, but they're all partially obscured/off-camera - interactions with the monsters, taking the wig off, etc.

It's creepy and awful but it fits pretty well given the writing so far, and it seems like something that only makes sense because Rui's isolated from the rest of the cast? Not much support or encouragement, just disagreement and paternalism. When the crew rolls out to take care of things and they're talking to each other, Rui's not a part of the conversation and none of them notice. I wonder if the main cast will have even realized something is up by the time we get half-way through the next episode?

Hajime calls out Gel and Tsubasa's lack of objectivity/self-awareness again this episode. It seems like a problem that afflicts most of the cast? So far I'd say the only self-aware characters we've seen are Hajime, Katze, Rui, Tsubasa's Grandpa, and Rizumu. Maybe OD.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kuu-sama is the worst!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

Kuu-sama is the worst!

Kuu-chan is your friend!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i would die so fast if i lived in the gatchaman universe lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the giant Kuu-sama that was holding Rui looked super comfy. I don't want to want one!!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I still wonder what exactly it is that Gel's pregnant with. I get the feeling the Kuus aren't the end of it.

Can anyone think of any symbolism for the red/white/blue almost flaglike appearance of the Kuus? It's been bugging me the last couple weeks and it seems almost too specific to be a coincidence, but I can't come up with anything that interesting or fits because they don't seem particularly nationalistic.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

dogsicle posted:

Kuu-sama is the worst!

Thinking more on them,they aren't even an extension of Gel. Kuu's are people, just taking Gels views to an extreme even he isnt capable of reaching.

Its telling that the scariest things this season are both representation of the masses.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

dogsicle posted:

the giant Kuu-sama that was holding Rui looked super comfy. I don't want to want one!!

I hope they sell beanbag covers. Though I would feel conflicted in using them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kylra posted:

I still wonder what exactly it is that Gel's pregnant with. I get the feeling the Kuus aren't the end of it.

Can anyone think of any symbolism for the red/white/blue almost flaglike appearance of the Kuus? It's been bugging me the last couple weeks and it seems almost too specific to be a coincidence, but I can't come up with anything that interesting or fits because they don't seem particularly nationalistic.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité of the French flag is the first thing that came to my mind. Probably because the paper that JJ cut up looked like it.

And the US flag too obviously, although i think those stand for something different.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

There's 5 stripes though. But maybe that's the hint, but they also though this looked nicer so they compromised.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think they just reflect Gel's colour scheme.

Note that the missing colour is Black, so that might suggest what is yet to emerge from Gel.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Maybe it's Katze Mk2 and Gel is Katze's dad.

Gel has black diamond tattoo things on his body though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

I hope they sell beanbag covers. Though I would feel conflicted in using them.

Conflict? We know what to do about that. :unsmigghh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kylra posted:

Veins, arteries and, uh, white stuff.... :sweatdrop:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Kylra posted:

I think he said something like he couldn't "digest" everything's feelings, so maybe there's something stuck inside of him

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Kylra posted:

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thinking more on them,they aren't even an extension of Gel. Kuu's are people, just taking Gels views to an extreme even he isnt capable of reaching.

Its telling that the scariest things this season are both representation of the masses.
The reason they know everyone's names and fears is that they're a manifestation of the collective consciousness of the people, or something like that. Gel probably ended up collecting all that information and then let it loose. I think it's interesting that Gel says he doesn't know what the creatures are. He also says he'd never seen a red bubble before (unless that's a mistranslation and he was referring to the creatures). Which is interesting, because the creatures are climbing out of red speech bubbles and turning the populace's speech bubbles red. It's a thought process he doesn't understand that spreads on its own.

This is reminding me of Paranoia Agent and the way the populace in that series surrendered their will/responsibilities to supernatural forces in exchange for comfort.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Also the kuus are part of the buddhist flag just missing two of the colours. Yellow, or the avoidance of extremes and orange, wisdom/insight

Although if they are using the japanese variant then green is balance as well

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 30, 2015

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
If the Kuu are a representation of the will of the people I don't get why they just swallowed that guy up at the end. Unless they're going to spit him back out, stupefied? That seems like it would be more blatantly hostile than anything we've seen so far.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Redmark posted:

If the Kuu are a representation of the will of the people I don't get why they just swallowed that guy up at the end. Unless they're going to spit him back out, stupefied? That seems like it would be more blatantly hostile than anything we've seen so far.

it'd be better if they just disappeared...

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Should've eaten Hajime when they had the chance then!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lol im looking on tumblr for gifs and there are people taking tsubasas side, even saying they don't understand what jou was saying with the 20-60-20 rule

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dude wasn't on board with the Kuu horde, so they forced him to "become one" with them. They're definitely hostile to anybody who isn't a part of the group, e.g. trying to force themselves on Hajime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

lol im looking on tumblr for gifs and there are people taking tsubasas side, even saying they don't understand what jou was saying with the 20-60-20 rule

tumblr teens...

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also the kuus are part of the buddhist flag just missing two of the colours. Yellow, or the avoidance of extremes and orange, wisdom/insight

Although if they are using the japanese variant then green is balance as well

Ah yes, and if they had yellow and black as well they would also be representative of the national flag of Swaziland and the absolute monarchy in power there

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they look the same as the dutch flag, making them symbols for the dangers inherent to mercantile capitalism

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
Maybe I'm just being an ape but I still blame everything on Rizumu for loving up his plan. He better redeem himself by pulling off some sick 5000-IQ strategy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eh Im pretty sure that if someone in japan sees blue white red green and yellow together they'll think of the goshikimaku. Forgot that their tongues were green so Im not seeing any other possible reasons given the tones in the show.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Wait, red white and blue with big ugly teeth? Can't believe I missed the reference to the United Kingdom

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It's really too bad that the empathy monsters are a bunch of fascists

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
It will be cool when saving the day doesn't get rid of the Kuus and they become normal members of society.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

God drat, these cliffhangers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So this is basically Psycho-Pass now, right?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Rui-chan~! :cry:

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
I'm hoping the climax/resolution for this season involves Katze kicking a bunch of rear end while doing a 'it's not like I'm doing this for you or anything' act with his new best friend Hajime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The twist will be that he could have sprung out of her already but liked being with her so much he didnt. :kimchi:

So whats Katzes favorite thing? Controlling people? Being around people? Being accepted by them? Its supposed to be the same as Gelsadra and it could go either way painting one of the two in a different light.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 30, 2015

• Locked thread